Act VI The Tower of Devral

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Act VI The Tower of Devral

#281 Post by tkrexx »

I have my broom, of course, Mira checks in at Halo's request, And I believe I can take one of our number in tow, provided the one is fitted with those boots. However, I believe the Skyfish is much faster. She pauses a moment. I think I have an emergency flight method of my own, but it is neither fast nor long-lasting.

While thankful for Kirraka's intel thus far, she stares at him a mite longer, awaiting more answers, until she finally continues. A being powerful enough to possess a Giant commands respect, and the power to displace such a being must be vast. I have noticed every attack by the white ape-demons has been during the day. Is it possible they rest at night, as do most Human-like creatures, or perhaps their vision is limited at night? Might it not be wise to seek a landing on this floating castle after sunset? I am accustomed to activity at night, and can bless up to 3 of us with a superior night vision. It will not function so well once we enter the castle, unless enhanced by Druidical magic. Her dark eyes flit to Morgi, and she lifts her left hand, highlighting a gold ring. This allows me to command lightning and fire, enough even to lay low a Giant, but only if the stars shine above me. I would prefer we not slay the Giant, if what you say of him being controlled by another is true, however we must consider even this option. The City of Melmond must be avenged, and I pledge my life to this end.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Inferno »

Blodget, halfling thief:
Hotgoblin wrote:Wyntar
...everyone must be focused and ready to give your life in necessary!!!
"Eep!" says Blodget as his fearful eyes grow as big as seed cakes.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#283 Post by Hotgoblin »

Wyntar addresses Mira...I'm not saying that we shouldn't take the skyfish, these creatures are Evil and will try to eliminate anything in their way...so you may need to use these items at a moments notice, I just want all of us to be ready for anything!!!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#284 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kirraka speaks to a pair of the birdmen in their own language for a moment before they quickly fly off.

I have just sent my two best scouts out to seek the location of the cloud castle. Until they find it, we have time to rest and heal. We should also use this time to further discuss a strategic plan of attack on the enemy.

He turns to address Mira's questions.

They have good night vision it would seem. In fact, both the attacks on Melmond and Lurneslye were orchestrated at night. He hangs his head in sorrow. Im afraid there weren't any survivors that we know of. I'm not sure if attacking at night will be any more beneficial or not. I do want to reiterate the fact that the giants life should be spared at any cost.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#285 Post by Nuke66 »

Morgi finally speaks up. "I too have the ability of flight, in a couple of different ways. Dealing with the giant without inflicting lethal damage will be problematic, but we can try." Turning to Mira he continues, "Just what type of enhancement are you referring too?" he questions.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by tkrexx »

Im afraid there weren't any survivors that we know of.
Mira reacts as if struck by a physical blow, nearly losing her balance, raising her hands to her head. Tho the tears flow, she maintains a semblance of bearing, answering Morgi in a small, weak voice.
"Just what type of enhancement are you referring too?"
Stars, the Mystic replies, Years ago a Druid actually brought stars to a place deep underground, so that my spell allowed me to see farther and with more accuracy than the night-sight of the Dwarves and Elves. I doubt it would be sufficient to activate my ring, and it may not be worth adjusting your blessings just to bring vision enhancement. It may well be lighted on the interior anyway. I trust your wisdom in this. Just let me know how to proceed, so I might also make spell adjustments as necessary. She turns then, clearly finished with the conversation, and seeks privacy to mourn a moment.

Hotgoblin

#287 Post by Hotgoblin »

Wyntar walks over to Mira and softly says to her. You must stay strong, we've lost many friends along the way, we could lose more. We can not show any signs of weakness now, think of all the others in our group that look up to you!!! Do you see how one's actions can affect the rest of the group? Now is not the time wither away! Then, Wyntar gently squeezes her hand and stares intently at her.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Inferno »

Blodget, halfling thief:

The foolish young hobbit is all eyes as he takes it all in.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by greyarea »

Trotter says, I haven't the power of flight, but I will fight from the skyfish, the back of a broom, a flying carpet, or even dangling from an eagles claw if need be.
Sorry for the absence. Apparently, I missed an update email.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#290 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wow!

How soon we forget about our wondrous new gifts?

Hotgoblin

#291 Post by Hotgoblin »

Wyntar Warlock hears Trotter's last statement and looks inquisitively at him, then says...Trotter what of the Great Ice Griffon? She would be your flight!! We can figure it out together, but we must hurry to learn it's ways. Remember, it was not given to you to be used as a papyrus weight!

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#292 Post by greyarea »

Trotter furrows his brow. He takes the Griffin from his pack and says, EMLA and lets the statue grow.

All I know is how to change its size. Well, and make its eyes glow. IMFA! See? The other two words of power are impotent as far as we know. Because of that I had put thought of it behind me, certainly because I didn't think it would carry me aloft.

But you are right, Wyntar, we should examine it further. And now seems like the appropriate time. What do you suggest as first steps?

At this point, the statue should be life sized, glass, with glowing red eyes.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Dram »

Xano- Listening for a possible strategy for the upcoming battle. Wyntar have the Eagles or our birdfriends have any scouts out there looking for any weak spots in there defenses.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by tkrexx »

Wyntar walks over to Mira and softly says to her. You must stay strong, we've lost many friends along the way, we could lose more. We can not show any signs of weakness now, think of all the others in our group that look up to you!!! Do you see how one's actions can affect the rest of the group? Now is not the time wither away! Then, Wyntar gently squeezes her hand and stares intently at her.
Mira nods and manages a slight smile at Wyntar's kind words of encouragement. Of course, my friend. I will allow myself only a moment of weakness to grieve, then prepare for what surely will be the battle of my life. Once a plan is formed I will make us all invisible for a good rest, then adjust my list of spells accordingly.

Hotgoblin

#295 Post by Hotgoblin »

Xano, that is a great question, but I do not have the answer, Kiraaka would be better suited to answer that... He gives a nod to Kiraaka. Wyntar then responds to Trotter, I suggest we fit this majestic creature with the harness, very gently of course, this will tell her she's ready for flight!!

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Dram »

Xano- turns and addresses Kiraaka. My friend have you been able to send any of your men out to look for weaknesses in there defenses at the castle?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#297 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Trotter and Wyntar set up the amazing magical griffon mount and prepare the ranger for his maiden journey.

Kirraka answers Xano's questions.

That is a good question, Ears that point to Sky. All the attacks so far have had a similar structure to them. Swarms of the snow demons exit the cloud castle as it approaches. They are very well organized and have powerful leaders that are even stronger than the others. They have been able to take control of every battle by their sheer numbers alone.

I will send the three great eagles and five of my best warriors out into the battle with you. That is all the aarakocra I am willing to lose. Once the enemy is spotted, I will flee, taking the females and young with me. I'm afraid that this battle may not go well for our side and I will not risk the complete and utter annihilation of our species.

The five male warriors will be able to call on aid from a wind monster. That will help turn the odds in our favor, at least for a little while. I think that a few of you should man the skyfish and make a straight on, full speed ahead approach to infiltrate the upper, outdoor levels of the castle. The giant will no doubt be trying to stop a full frontal assault by throwing his spells into the mix, so those of you not in the skyfish will have to do everything in your power to allow the others safe passage to the castle.

Kirraka looks at each member of the war party with dark, saddened eyes.

Knowing all of that now, we should continue to discuss any strategies you may have before they attack. Afterwards, we should all get some rest. I fear that the end is nigh for most of us. The scouts will be back soon and then we will know how long before.......

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#298 Post by greyarea »

Trotter excuses himself to use the facilities, then returns explaining, I'd hate to wet so fine a creature. Let's do this, and mounts the Griffin.

After getting the OK from the wizard he will say, FLAS

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Storm11 »

"I believe Mira could be instrumental in our attack of the castle. If she can cloak the real sky fish and trick the giant and his minions into attacking a fake one we might just come off unscathed by their initial, possibly brutal, first assault, and gain the upper hand in retaliating." the little paladin suggests looking at the illusionist hopefully.
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by tkrexx »

Just as Mira is turning back from her brief mourning, she impishly smiles at the Holy Halfling Warrior. You, Sir Halo, have a wonderfully fiendish mind! I had something very similar coming together. There is a spell I have, and possibly Wyntar knows of it as well, a spell used to create multiple mirages of myself to decieve attackers. I rarely find need for it as it is, but perhaps modification is in order... I could use a more potent mirage, provided by Lolo, to create an image of the Skyfish, while cloaking our actual position, much as you suggest. When the ape-demons rush to attack en masse, we allow them to congregate, as many as possible into a small area, then launch power spells. Obliterate as many as possible. What's more, if we do this in a concerted fashion, we may be able to ply the same stunt yet again.

The Mystic looks to the others, her eyes bright with enthusiasm. How many individual Invisibility spells do we command? I can make 3, tho it will prevent my mass hypnotic effect, plus the mass Invisibility to cover the Skyfish. Visualize this: The mirage Skyfish is swarmed with ape-demons and say, Wyntar cinders them with a ball of flame, thus becoming visible, but the Skyfish remains unseen. The mirage continues, again accosted by demons, while Morgi brings lightning to bear, again leaving the real Skyfish, and all its riders, unnoticed. Land the craft, and seek entrance while a few of us with flight continue the defense of the mirage. Her smile fades somewhat. There is one catch to this plan: I must be at the center of the mass Invisible spell. I see no reason why someone else cannot utilize my broom, since I will also need to concentrate on maintaining the mirage as well. She holds the broom forward. Now would be a good time to practice.

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”