Action Thread 2

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 2

#61 Post by rredmond »

9:15 pm
The "Important Guests" Room.

Just a post with some updates: As the torch sputters smokily, it didn't seem to have the power to fully light up the bed, but the smoke is pretty bad in the room. Getting better since you've opened the doors and the bears and ogre have walked away.

Jack returns, and brings the stone of silence with him and lets folks know what he saw in the Great Hall:
"The hill giant chief. His ugly wife. 20 more hill giants. Three stone giants, and one cloud giant who is their special guest. Does that make 26?!? Plus 8 ogres! And many orc servants carrying platters.
I detected no magic in the Great Hall, but there was some behind the northwest corner of the north wall, in the room Sugarlump noted as "my room!" There is also magic beyond the walls of the eastern double doors of the Great Hall, and beyond the eastern wall at both the northeast and southeast parts of the walls!"

Phaeus returns, and reports what he's seen in the kitchens:
The hallway north to the kitchens is long, 80' long.
Doesn't seem to be any occupants in the two rooms (both labeled "ROOM" on the ogre's map) that are next to the hallway.
The well lit kitchen he was able to see this that this is a typical giant kitchen with counters along the walls, several tables, benches, a couple stools, and lots of cooking stuff - pots, kettles, bowls, knives, forks, spoons, ladles, spits, etc. There are at least two dozen orcs, dressed like slaves running around following the orders of 5 giantess cooks. There also looks to be about 11 young, smallish, ogres - who seem more like servants.
As shown on the ogre's map, the kitchen has an exit in the northwest corner and one in the southeast corner. The west wall has a 20' long fireplace for cooking. This part of the kitchen goes back 40', so the room itself is about 60' by 40'.

The hallways are still, miraculously, quiet. Other than the Great Hall and the Kitchens, there's no noise of anything talking or walking at this point. Luckily there's some smoke around the kitchens as well, so the smoke from the room (even with a higher chance of Wandering Monsters) seems to have gone unnoticed

Below is the standard Marching Order, though Phaeus and Jack are now out of the room, the sprites are flying out of the room as well:
--Sugarlump-- walked away down the hall
Phaeus -- Rosebud outside the room
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack flying down the chimney
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear walked away down the hall
There is a 15' silence sling bullet in the hallway, just about 15 feet from the door of this room.

Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus shares his knowledge of the kitchen area with the others. "I think we can take this area ahead. The main hall, well let them get drunk but how much ale does a giant need before stupor overcomes him is any ones guess. In the meantime lets create some havoc and disrupt their stockade. Those orcs in there, (points to the kitchen area) as much as I detest their green hides are slaves and maybe could be persuaded to aid us. Turn the kitchen tables on their captors. Sure any escapees will get the blame for cutting the throats of the giants in the tower and we can carry on sneaking by.

Phaeus looks at the group, "I certainly am not sitting in a room contemplating time or whittling spoons waiting around for giants to go on the piss. Maybe the sneaky rogues among us could get in behind two of the giantess cooks for back stab attack while Arnor and me crawl unnoticed between the table legs and cut the legs off the others. Who is up for persuading the orcs to 'free themselves'... Nessa?" Phaeus offers the floor for attack strategy. "okay guys I'm usually a loner, so how does the group wish to tackle this?"

Rosebud in the meanwhile growls viciously baring her fanged teeth and snaps aggressively at some grasping hand trying to grab the hilt of Phaeus' sword. "be careful Jack my boy, you'll prestidigitate a lot less with some fingers missing!"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by Alethan »

Arnar agrees to the idea of taking out the two giantesses in a sneaky manner.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy druid/magic-user:
Nuke66 wrote:"We ought to figure out how to drop some spells in there when the time comes. We need to do some damage before melee begins." Nessa offers
"The chimney hole over the Great Hall would be perfect for that!" Jack says to Nessa. "If we don't want to wait until our foes drink themselves stupid-er, we can get started right away!" *

"Can you ask Sugarlump what the magic item is in his room?" Jack asks Arnor.

"Let the sword speak!" Jack says to Phaeus, matching his dog with two bears, an ogre and a clutch of sprites. "We need to know what the cloud giant is doing here. The sword can shout all it wants. They can't hear us now."

*In the OOC thread, we have a majority consensus to head right to the main event before we give ourselves away and lose the element of surprise. Is that no longer the plan now? :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I'm opposed to that. 20+ giants are going to easily smash us into pulp.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Stirling »

"Jack also mentioned the presence of unknown but pretty strong magic in various corners around the place. You could be walking into a trap. Sure go ahead a fireball and summon lightening to crisp a few critters. How many do we kill before surprise is over? Maybe old hag face is a tribal shamaness, got magicks of their own. After all someone cast an illusion to hide this sword...maybe charm you instead of Sugarlump, any fancy being a giants pet..." Phaeus mimics something rude. :o

"As 'impetuous old ancient' himself advised, 'wait a couple of hours at least until the hill giants are drunk'

Do we have a couple of hours?"

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam impatiently spins his staff in his hand while the others debate what steps to take next. He adds, "Well....it can't hurt to let them get more drunk I guess. Why don't we investigate the other 'magics' Jack detected in the meantime....maybe they can help for when we have to fight the giants. Also....I don't think anyone answered this....do any of you spell-slingers have the ability to make a group of us invisible or give the illusion that we're orcs or something? Just to make the moving around a little less suspicious? Just a thought...."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Stirling »

Some smelly old giant cloak on the other room, if the dwarf carries Jack on his shoulder and we don't look anyone in the eye we could be young sprogs taking the bears for a walk.

Never been a fan of mass invisibility, you can't be seen but we'll also clank into each other, and how do the animals react, are they invisible too?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy wizard/druid:

"I can't render you invisible," Jack answered Elam. "But between Arnor and the sprites, we have an invisible scouting party if we need one."
Stirling wrote:"Maybe old hag face is a tribal shamaness, got magicks of their own. After all someone cast an illusion to hide this sword"
"That was probably the cloud giant," Jack said helpfully. "But I suppose we could always... ask the sword about it???" he laughed. "Unless you'd like to tell us some more stories instead?" Jack said, eager to learn more rude gestures.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus will pause for a moment, and then take the hilt of the sword. Addressing it he will say, "okay grand giant-slayer, you have your name and cause. What sentience guides you and tell us of this Cloud aberration and you can taste his blood when we slit his throat. What goes on in these festivities?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by rredmond »

9:25 pm

The party debates and talks to the sword.

After a debate about the how's and when's of attacking, the ranger pulls the sword and addresses it: "okay grand giant-slayer, you have your name and cause. What sentience guides you and tell us of this Cloud aberration and you can taste his blood when we slit his throat. What goes on in these festivities?".

The sword sounds happy as it responds:
"My name is Praegrand Interfector, though the previous ranger who used me would call me P.I. Unfortunately he fell to an evil wizard while hunting the clan of the very cloud giant that owned me before you came along. My cause is simple, to slay giants! I want to kill as many as I can and do it as often as I can. The wizard was able to identify my purpose (not without getting the shock of his life, for putting his evil hands on me [chuckle]) and the cloud giants kept me for nefarious use against other giants - though I never let on that I could speak or that I could 'feel' any giants (visible or invisible, or even beyond doors or walls) that got within 10 feet of me. Killing a giant isn't as sweet when done from behind and being wielded by another giant! Though they keep me in my scabbard and use leather gloves to wield me, so they don't suffer the shock that all evil get when they touch me. But even in the scabbard, I can still hear. The giants are gathering together to cooperate in raiding human villages. It sounds like a Frost Giant Jarl is organizing it, though the cloud giants think that the Fire Giant King is the real power behind it. The cloud giants have sent this emissary, but are of a split mind whether to join the other giants or not. The party in the great hall is to celebrate the first great undertaking of the cooperation, as stone giants are involved and now this cloud giant emissary. The only other thing that I can gather, is that Nosnra, the Hill Giant Chief won't let the cloud giant into the dungeons below the Steading. Though the stone giants are definitely up and down there all the time. When do we get to the giant killing?"

The hallways still, remain quiet. Other than the Great Hall and the Kitchens, there's no noise of anything talking or walking at this point.

Below is the standard Marching Order, though Phaeus and Jack are now out of the room, the sprites are flying out of the room as well:
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack flying down the chimney
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear walked away down the hall away from the smoke
There is a 15' silence sling bullet in the hallway, just about 15 feet from the door of this room.

Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Stirling »

"well that is super."Phaeus slaps Jack on the back and ruffles the ears of Rosebud."we can help this Cloud clan make their minds up. Let's send the emissary's head back to them on a plate".

To group, who are as probably as open mouthed as he is, Phaeus asks, "Do we need to discover Nossies' dungeon secreys too?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy wizard/druid:

The little know-it-all listened to the sword's tale with beaming pride. When it mentioned dungeons below, his mirthful eyes lit up.
"Let's!" he grinned to Phaeus. "It will give the big oafs time to get more drunk! And they won't hear us down there!
"P.I., can you take us there? Huh? Can you?"
he asked, fairly jumping in place.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by rredmond »

9:30 pm

The party debates and talks to the sword.

The sword responds to Jack's question, his voice excited that battle may soon be engaged, but he manages to keep his volume lower:
"The only thing I know about the dungeons is that they can be accessed through the pantry in the middle of the kitchen. The kitchen with all the giant cooks in it!"

The hallways still, remain quiet, as the DM continues pitiful rolls. Other than the Great Hall and the Kitchens, there's no noise of anything talking or walking at this point. Lots of activity in the kitchens - pots, pans, yelling at orcs, etc. Definitely nothing seems to be headed back to the entrance room and tower, at least by the hallway that you can see!

Most folks are either right by the entrance of the room or just outside in the hallway.

--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear walked away down the hall away from the smoke

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Stirling »

"Okay we have little time on our side. A dungeon door beckons through this way. This is my suggestion unless we have a greater scheme?"Phaeus outlines a strategy for the kitchen battle as follows:

The two thieves, sneak in under cover or invisible and backstab a pair of giantess cooks. Surprise over, Phaeus and Arnor then charge in taking on the nearest giantesses in melee, whilst some blast the ogres with some magical chicanery. Someone needs to implore the orcs to side with us and fight for their freedom. Any not with us and we have to take them down as well. If they can take down the last giantess it could be over quite quickly. The bears mop up any fleeing for this door and Rosebud will blink on target at the pantry exit to gnash any fleeing that way.

"Jack, we need to do something with Sugarlump. I'm not sure he'll take kindly to his kin being butchered, maybe put him to sleep temporarily in his room or he'll have to wander in the land of Nod a bit more permanently"Phaeus does a throat cutting sign. "Any other tactics before we are good to go..?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid/wizard:

The old child nods to Phaeus.
He sees Ursa and Beorn bothered by the smoke and tells them to leave the steading and take cover in the nearby treeline, in case he calls them.
Then he takes Sugarlump by the hand and wordlessly guides the ogre back into the important guest room and smilingly offers the grand bed to him to rest in, gesturing toward the nice soft pillow as he pulls the covers back.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Nuke66 »

Nessa offers, "I will be ready once the fighting begins, just point me in the right direction."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam readies his club in one hand and his magical Staff in the other and he just shrugs and says; "Let's do this then". When the signal is given, he'll do his best to Move Silently to get into position and then make the attack attempt with the Club. After the initial back-stab; he'll drop the club and use his Staff of Striking.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

Arnar goes invisible and follows Elam. He attacks the same giantess as Elam does, at the same time, from her flank.

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”