Action Thread 2

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 2

#41 Post by ToniXX »

The cleric is taken aback at the talking sword Well I'll be damned... I've heard of sentient weapons before but have never encountered one. Phaeus, may you wield this weapon effectively and give it the respect it deserves.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy druid wizard:

Jack marvels at the new toy with glee. "Who are you? What cloud giant? How long have you been here? What can you tell us about your former owner? And what's his business here?" he laughs in obvious delight.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#43 Post by Alethan »

"Phaeus, if you don't need your old sword, since the got that talkin' one, I could use it. The hammer is good for throwing, but it's shite in hand-to-hand..." Arnar says to the ranger.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Stirling »

"Whoa..wtf!", Phaeus is surprised, thinking the longsword might ignite in a certain way. " well I was kinda hoping for some famed Flametongue weapon, just nice to cautorize the necks of humanoid vermin and light the odd camp fire when my wicks are too damp...but you're a flaming tongue sword alright, of what...sword of heroism, sword of charge 'remember the Alamo', sword of 'fxxking' giant slaying".

Phaeus will sheath the sword in its' scabberd, not least to silence the voice and any more 'up and at them' cries should giants be in the vicinity.

"Did someone mention cloud giants? What do we know about them, they must be the important guests here, what are they exactly...twice as big and twice as nasty as those sleeping giants we killed. We may have to rethink our strategy but we have an extra boon here".

Phaeus will exchange his scabberd and sword. " there was another weapons room along the corridor, can we disturb their armoury in some way, melt or bend the blades?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by rredmond »

8:50pm
The "Important Guests" Room.

The talking sword that wants to kill giants.

Ethwig is taken aback and advises respect for the weapon.
Jack starts to ask questions of the sword.
And Arnor, seeing an opportunity to upgrade to a better melee weapon, tells Phaeus that he could use his other magic, +2 sword.

As the sword starts to boast loudly, "I'm called Praegrand Interfector, or just P.I. for short, the cloud..." it gets muffled by his scabbard as the ranger sheathes it to quiet the situation and discuss tactics.

The partying sounds as if it continues in the Great Hall unabated. The sprites relax in their continued guard by the door of the room. The blue glow of the sword is extinguished and the light of the room becomes quite dim again, as the now damaged torches sputters on.

Below is the standard Marching Order:
--Sugarlump--
Phaeus -- Rosebud
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear
There is still a 15' silence sling bullet southeastern corner of the main entrance room.

Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Stirling »

"All I know of cloudies' is thay they are 'bigger n badder' than the hillbilly's though I haven't met one yet. Do we gatecrash their festivities now or carry on sneaking? I think getting them running in many directions will serve us better than trying one blitz attack. But we need to move on cus those dead bodies behind are sure to be discovered soon." Phaeus will speak after putting the sword away and tossing the torch onto the largest mattress.

"The kitchens may be full of noise and steam, perhaps any fighting will be mistaken for the clattering of cooking pots."

Grabbing Rosebud by the ear, Phaeus will leave the bedroom and move out into the shadows of the internal corridor and wait at the kitchen door for the others.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy druid/wizard:

Pouting that the talking sword was put away, and the grumpy dwarf got a prize and Jack didn't, the impetuous youth said, "We should crash the party!" By the time he finished the sentence, a mischievous impish grin had overtaken the pout and Jack was gleefully casting a faerie spell.

Casts Protection from Fire upon himself.

"I'll scout it out and be right back!" Jack said with a straight face and fingers crossed behind his back. "Watch my bears for me while I'm gone!"

Then Jack turned himself into a hummingbird and peered out the room. If the coast was clear, he silently flew back the way they came, hugging the ceilings, not wanting to be seen. If he made it outside, he flew up, and then down the main chimney to its fireplace, where he carefully peeked his tiny, upsidedown head out to see what was inside the party room!
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by rredmond »

8:55 pm
The "Important Guests" Room.

The talking sword that wants to kill giants.

The Ranger after sheathing his talking sword, that apparently hates giants, or at least the giants he was hanging with, states that northward to the kitchens is the way to go.
To punctuate his decision, he throws the torch onto one of the beds. This disturbed one of the bears who growled and got off the bed. The other bear growled a little as well, as the bed began to smolder throwing dark smoke into the already smoky room.
The Ranger opens the door to head to the kitchens, alleviating some of the smokiness as he awaits the others to follow.

Meanwhile Jack mumbles a quick spell, states he'll be right back, and then he turns into a bird and flies away.

The Ranger's statement that the kitchens are noisy, does seem to be true. Pots and pans are banging and there's yelling and hitting, it's all happening in that area. The partying sounds as if it continues in the Great Hall unabated. The sprites watch the ranger leave and the smoke grow in the room, as their friend Jack takes off. The ogre and bears seems agitated by the smoke, but otherwise nonplussed. The hallways are quiet. Other than the Great Hall and the Kitchens, there's no noise of anything talking or walking. The smoke in the room gets thicker...

Below is the standard Marching Order, though Phaeus and Jack are now out of the room, the sprites are flying out of the room as well:
--Sugarlump--
Phaeus -- Rosebud
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear
There is still a 15' silence sling bullet southeastern corner of the main entrance room.

Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#49 Post by ToniXX »

Ethwig looks around at his companions and says What do we do now? Enter the kitchen? Or go up the corridor on the right?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid/magic-user:

"Follow me, boys!" Jack said to the sprites in spritish.
If the coast was clear, Jack silently flew back the way they came, hugging the ceilings, not wanting to be seen. If he made it outside, he flew up, and then down the main chimney to its fireplace, where he carefully peeked his tiny, upsidedown head out to see who and what was inside the party room!

The talking sword might have some useful information, guys. We could move the silence bullet to the hall outside the guest room, so the sword's voice doesn't carry. Just a thought.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by rredmond »

9:00 pm
The "Important Guests" Room and the party splits.

The Ranger peeks down the northern hallway to see what he can see, as the Jack-bird and his sprites take off to the eastern hall.

Nessa stands ready and Ethwig looks for some sort of consensus from the party. :)

The torch starts to throw off more smoke and the straw seems to, slowly, start to burn. There are no actual flames yet, but the bears grow more restless and growly, and start heading toward the door of the room. Sugarlump shakes his ogre head for a moment, glassy eyed, but then seems to regain his non-ogrish, more smiley demeanor; but he too moves away from the burning bed. The exit from this room is starting to get crowded!

The Ranger can be seen sneaking northerly a bit, but the kitchens are noisy, and this isn't a difficult feat. The party sounds continue unabated in the Great Hall. The hallways are still, miraculously, quiet. Other than the Great Hall and the Kitchens, there's no noise of anything talking or walking.

PMs to Phaeus and Jack.

Below is the standard Marching Order, though Phaeus and Jack are now out of the room, the sprites are flying out of the room as well:
--Sugarlump-- now near the door
Phaeus -- Rosebud outside the room
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack flying down the chimney
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear now near the door

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam, noticing the room starting to smoulder and the various animals and enchanted Ogre shifting around uncomfortably, decides that he's NOT going to get stuck in this room if everything falls apart. Saying "excuse me" to his various party mates, he moves to the doorway and whispers; "I'm going to find a shadow over there to keep an eye out"; he says while pointing to the left of the door out of the Important Guests room* and he moves to such a position, crouching down in the darkest shadows he can find and keeping an alert eye and ear out on the hallways....

OOC: If Hide in Shadows roll is required Elam's skill is 61%

*If the 'front' of the map is where the 'Giants' servants room; 'Wolves' and 'Guard's room' is; left to right; then Elam is moving to the 'left' of the door out of the 'Important Guests' Room'.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by rredmond »

9:05 pm
The "Important Guests" Room and the party splits.

The Ranger takes a peek into the kitchens down the northern hallway to see what he can see, and the Jack-bird and his sprites have been gone for about five minutes.

Elam sneaks out of the room and moves left (west), after appraising party members where he'd be.

The bed smolders very, very slow, but smoke and the straw seems to, slowly, start to burn. Still no actual flames yet, but the bears push their way out of the door of the room, and head right (east) toward the Giant Weapons room. Sugarlump also moves out of the room and moves to the right of the door, but stops; the bears keep going.

The hallways are still, miraculously, quiet, but now the smoke is starting to leak out into the hall. Other than the Great Hall and the Kitchens, there's no noise of anything talking or walking at this point.

--Sugarlump-- now near the door
Phaeus -- Rosebud outside the room
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack flying down the chimney
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear now near the door
There may still be a 15' silence sling bullet southeastern corner of the main entrance room.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus appraises everyone of what he has seen ahead. He indicates for the two sneaky thieves to go under cover and behind the furthest giantesses and surprise backstab them. We can then charge in and I see what ,Flametongue Pregrand can do!

Maybe a couple concentrate on freeing the orcs and pressganging their aid for the fight (Nessa?). Kill the ogres, as for Sugarlump, he may be charmed now but if he sees us slay his kin, we will have to deal with him. Maybe get him to go with the bears into that armoury until Jack in the box springs up.

Okay, everyone weapons set...

Come Rosebud you can take a meaty chunk from that ones thigh, Phaeus shakes the dogs head.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy druid/wizard:

The aged child suddenly returns, in human shape. But something's wiped the smile from his bloodless face.
"G-giants..." he stammers. "A score of them... No, two dozen! ...giants."

The smoke clouds suddenly focus him. As he lays giant blankets on the fire to snuff it out, Jack tells all he knows in one breath:

"I flew through empty hallways and went outside and peeked in the smoke hole of the Great Hall. It's filled with Giants. The hill giant chief. His ugly wife. 20 more hill giants. Three stone giants, and one cloud giant who is their special guest. Does that make 26?!? Plus 8 ogres! And many orc servants carrying platters. The giants are all feasting and drinking. There's a head table and three other tables around the room. None of the hill giants are drunk enough yet, but they soon will be, the rate they're going. They are toasting to the "cooperation of giants," and "teamwork," and stuff like that. The chief congratulated himself on the successful raid they just undertook. The cloud giant is cold... much more reserved than the others, sipping his drink as opposed to downing it. The stone giants barely drink or eat, surveying all that's going on."
"The hall is made of big logs, with a 30 feet high ceiling."
"I detected no magic in the Great Hall, but there was some behind the northwest corner of the north wall, in the room Sugarlump noted as "my room!" There is also magic beyond the walls of the eastern double doors of the Great Hall, and beyond the eastern wall at both the northeast and southeast parts of the walls!"

Jack caught his breath and said, "We need to wait until the hill giants are drunker. No one's leaving that hall anytime soon.
"I moved the silenced stone to our hallway, so no one will hear us while we wait. Let them drink themselves stupid! In the meantime, we need to learn what that talking sword has to tell us about the cloud giant and why he's here!"

If Phaeus doesn't unsheath it, the impetuous ancient will suddenly attempt to.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Slipping back into the room to hear Jack's report, Elam says...."Okay....so what should we do for the next couple of hours while they drink and hopefully pass-out? Any of you spell-slingers have the ability to make us all invisible? Or make us all look like orcs or something?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

Arnar grumbles, "We sit here on our arses and wait! Or else we explore the place, see what we can find. Maybe something else to help us out, like that sword. But we quit lighting stuff on fire, for starters..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Nuke66 »

"We ought to figure out how to drop some spells in there when the time comes. We need to do some damage before melee begins." Nessa offers

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”