Action Thread 2

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 2

#21 Post by Alethan »

Arnor enters, as well, and stands watch while those with lighter fingers get to work.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam agrees with Ethwig and slips into the room as quietly as possible. Once in; he will begin to search the room as carefully as possible....

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by rredmond »

8:20pm
The "Important Guests" Room.

The party crowds into the room. The bears actually have to climb onto the beds to stay out of the way, licking the blood off their paws.

Closing the door almost all the way cuts off a lot of the noise, but also a lot of the light. Though this room has obviously had some recent occupants, they must not have been here for hours considering the one torch going out, and the other completely out. The ranger draws his long sword which casts some extra light as well. It's easy enough to see, and certainly much quieter and safer with the door practically shut.

Elam gets to work. The chests don't even have locks, and his skills can easily see that they aren't trapped as they aren't the best quality. Unfortunately the chests, and the sacks don't have much more than giant sized traveling clothes. It seems anything of worth, if it had been in this room, is now with the occupants - likely at the party. Quick checks behind the wall hangings and under the rugs don't turn up anything hidden that you can tell.

You haven't spent enough time to give the room a good tossing, most of Elam's time was spent checking for traps. Though we'll assume Herzog did check for secret doors and the like all about, unfortunately turning up nothing. The room, with all the bodies in it, is getting hot and somewhat uncomfortable. The smoke from the torch starting to hurt throats with so many folks breathing in the room - and the bears breath heavy and not quietly. :)

Quick peeks out of the door (likely by invisible sprites) show that you are still safe and unfound. There continues to be action in the kitchen, but most of the noise, and action is happening in Great Hall - aka the "party room." It was a good idea by the cleric to crowd into the room as, though you usually see shadows of giants moving in the kitchen, twice you've spied giantesses rushing past with pots or food in their arms. They don't seem intent on looking down that hallway, being otherwise occupied, but one never knows...

No inhabitants of this room, no apparent booty, and no wandering monsters that you know of.

Below is the standard Marching Order:
--Sugarlump--
Phaeus -- Rosebud
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear
There is still a 15' silence sling bullet southeastern corner of the main entrance room.

Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Inferno »

Jack-in-the-Green, boy druid/magic-user:

"Well, this is getting us nowhere!" Jack whispered with a pout. He was disappointed there was no magic treasure here. Just boring clothes.

"What are we waiting for?! We should all go to the main hall already with a surprise attack of area of effect spells like Fireball!" he whispered with eager excitement.

"Otherwise, we're just wasting time, and risking the chance of being discovered at any moment which will kill the element of surprise and all of us along with it!" Jack urged, in an 'are we there yet?' sort of way.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by max_vale »

Elam nods at Jack and says; "The ancient kid has a point; if the Giants are all enjoying a party; it might be the best time to take them by surprise. Although, I seem to remember someone mentioning trying to make sure there's no reinforcements to surprise US in turn?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Did we already check out the two weapon rooms? I thought at some point we were going to go there. Or at least some people posed the idea...

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Nuke66 »

"That could be interesting, just drop a ball 'o fire in there, just do it." Nessa says

(OOC: let's get this party started.)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

8:30pm

The group never did check out the weapons room, pushing straight on to this room.
The party discusses their options in the room with the bears licking their paws and the invisible sprites keeping lookout. Most everybody on this level, except the Giant cooking crew, must be at that party, because the sprites note no movement except in the kitchen. Most of the noise comes from the raucous cheers and yells in the party room.

Disappointingly there seems to be nothing of worth in this room. Even the torches don't seem to be worth anything as one flickers, having burnt hot and long and is soon to be out. The other torch appears stone cold dead.

Further checks of the area of the room show no secret or hidden doors in the floor or walls. Our frustrated band of heroes starts to discuss a bold frontal assault on the party room - where all the action seems to be.

--Sugarlump--
Phaeus -- Rosebud
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear
There is still a 15' silence sling bullet southeastern corner of the main entrance room.

Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Stirling »

"Yeah attack the reception party. It would be like, 'whoopee desert has arrived'!, no I think we need to discover more and set another distraction. If we want to turn up the heat then lets' spoil their party in proper fashion. Shall we hit the kitchens and poison their food?." Phaeus suggests a radical but less frontal course of action. "Arnar or Jack lead the way round, Rosebud and I can set another distraction here too...seems like someone careless has caused a fiery log to still burn in the room".

Phaeus will take the flickering torch and use it to light the other one and then toss them onto the beds to start some fires.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Inferno »

The vote so far:

Max, Nuke and I say go to the party room now.
Alethan and Stirling would rather check out other rooms first.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#31 Post by ToniXX »

The High Priest Ethwig starts to speak I agree that we make a distraction and maybe poison food or something else While he's speaking, Phaeus tosses the lit torches onto one of the beds. Ethwig, surprised, points to the smoldering bed and continues I guess we're doing that.

He now has haste in his voice: What do the sprites see? When it's clear, let's move to the weapons room or back to the entry hall. Either way, we can slink up the other hallway to the kitchen, assuming the fire attracts the attention of the cooks.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy druid/wizard:

"The sprites are too afraid to go into the hall, the chickens!" Jack said peevishly. "All right. All right. I take it back!" he said to the invisible faeries.

He scrutinized the scrawled map of Gothmog, then turned it rightside up, and said, "There are three ways into the great hall, if we stay out of the wolf pen*. I can turn myself into a mouse and scout ahead, if you like. Where can I meet you all to give you a report?"

Anticipation and excitement was building within the ancient child.

*Rredmond, The big empty unmarked space to the right of the great hall is another wolf pen, correct?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by rredmond »

Inferno wrote:*Rredmond, The big empty unmarked space to the right of the great hall is another wolf pen, correct?

I'll update by tomorrow morning, but I did want to clarify, the big empty space to the right of the Great Hall on Ogre's map is just rooms the ogre doesn't know. That's all indoors and not open wolf pen. It's where the Hill Giant Chief and his Chieftess stay, and likely his "offices" and stuff.
Hope that helps.
--Ron--

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

8:40pm

The party further discusses their options. The ranger decides no matter how damp the outside of the log keep is, the inside might burn rather nicely.
Phaeus grumbles about not taking the Bold Frontal Assault route, then decides to light a fire, to the surprise of the cleric and party.

As he attempts to light the other torch, it doesn't work. Pressing the burning torch to the other, sparks fly and the unlit torch shimmers and now appears to be a sheathed longsword just sitting in the torch sconce. At that moment a crash is heard in the kitchens, and you then hear a female giant yelling. The sprites quietly report seeing an orc fly past the opening at the end of the hall. But still nothing coming south down the northern hallway, or in the east-west hallway.

The ranger can still check out that sword, still sitting there for all to see. Other than the dark ashes it now has on it's hilt (from the smokily burning torch in the ranger's hand) it looks to the naked eye like a nice sword -- if scabbards and hilts are any indication. The shadows start to play weirdly in the room as Phaeus waves the torch around. The raucous cheering and singing continue in the Great Hall.

--Sugarlump--
Phaeus -- Rosebud
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

"Eh... thas a weird place to put a sword," Arnor mutters, walking closer to it to get a better look.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#36 Post by ToniXX »

Ron, did Phaeus succeed in starting any fires? This wasn't 100% clear in your post.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by rredmond »

ToniXX wrote:Ron, did Phaeus succeed in starting any fires? This wasn't 100% clear in your post.
Sorry about that. I assumed the Ranger would stop what he was doing at that point. :)
So no fires... yet. ;)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Stirling »

"Ah a couple of flaming brands are what we need", Phaeus tries to light the torch and steps back when it doesn't ignite. He is used to damp logs but this looks like an illusion. Phaeus will wave his hand over the revealed weapon and lift it from the sconce, giving it a swish or two in the air.

" well a hidden trove. Flame on...El zippo...the flash...", Phaeus will say a few giantish words for fire hoping a trigger word may cause it to ignite sheathed in glorious flame, checking the hilt for inscribed runes and marks...?? :)

When we are all ready to leave the room, Phaeus will toss the torch brand onto the largest mattress.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by max_vale »

Elam follows along with the others, wondering what exactly the plan was to remove the threat of these Giants; but deciding that whatever the consensus was, he would just have to improvise and adapt the best he could. The thought didn't leave him feeling very comforted; so he silently gripped his holy symbol and prayed to the Goddess of Adventure to look after them this day....

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by rredmond »

8:45pm

The sword in the sconce.

As Arnor moves cautiously to check out the sword, and the two clerical types look on, the brash ranger moves incautiously and touches it taking it from the torch holder.

As Phaeus takes it and unsheathes it, he starts to talk to it and swish it around. He tries to say some words in giantish, which sounds kind of funny because he's one of the few party members that doesn't speak Hill Giant.

"Hey you aren't that cloud giant!" A voice from the sword exclaims. "I sure hope this means I'll be killing giants sooner than later. Never seemed right being kept by a giant to cut throats of other giants. Ahhh this should be good, let's get to slaying giants! Woo hoo!" The "woo hoo" is a little on the loud side, surprising the sprites (who still watch at the door) and making the bears take notice.

The partying seems to continue in the Great Hall unabated. The sword feels warm and fits nicely in the rangers hand, and it casts a blue glow that lights the room just as nicely as does his other magic sword, in a 20' radius. It doesn't seem to have any flames though, but it most certainly talks. At times a bit too loudly.

--Sugarlump--
Phaeus -- Rosebud
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Elam -- Nessa
TeddyB -- TBear

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”