9. Five Months Later

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 9. Five Months Later

#201 Post by Zhym »

Agax's rest was a little fitful, what with all the noise the neighbors were making downstairs, but we'll say he was able to start studying spells around 7:00 and had his new spells prepared a little before 10:00.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

At 10am:
Agax the Dreamer arose fully rested and feeling like a new man... or men. He emerged from his meditation chambers yawning and stretching and scratching his long white beard and wondering what there was for breakfast. He hoped there would be marmalade.
What he found stopped him in his tracks. The front door had been pried open. The floor was a shambles of muddy footprints and the signs of battle. Funeral pyres smoldered out back. His friends were dirty from digging fresh graves. "I thought it was all a dream! And what must the neighbours think?!"

“Why on Urth didn’t one of you come get me?!” Agax accused unfairly. Then, suddenly, in the spirit of beneficent forgiveness, the mercurial magician said, “Tut tut. No matter. It’s in the past now. I’m sure you knew best.”

When he found that there were no casualties or even serious injuries, his mood changed again, to relief.
"Hmm," he said to Castran, looking at the stockpile of recovered weapons and armor. "Were there no wizards in your original party?"

Soon his mood changed again, to deadly earnest: “Very well. Let’s get down to business. It’s morning. We have a full day of sunlight ahead with which to make an advance against our deadly foe. Are we all ready? The time has come!”

At 10am, what casters still need to recover their spells, and how many spells, please?
We need to attack in daylight. If we don't go now (at 10am), it means we go tomorrow morning, after another night of monsters sent to harass us and drain our spells. :(
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#203 Post by GreyWolfVT »

There was a fighter/mu but alas he was destroyed by a slime not sure what of his items survived he tried to strip them off hastily and throw them to safety.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Dram »

I think I remember that Bragar and Castran were running for there lives when that all happened. Hopefully it is still there.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#205 Post by Cwreando »

I didn't see Excommunicator in the list?

Lars asks, "Is anyone else interested in the plate mail armor and Excommunicator?"

Lar will take and clean the plate mail and checks to see if it fits, if no others want it and he offers his armor to any others.

He grabs Excommunicator and cleans it as well then tests its quality and its capabilities versus his own for comparison asking the others if there was anything special about the sword or if any others want it.

"Is there anything special about your friends sword here? I am sorry for your loss but knowing more about the sword may help us in our quest. We can let the caster rest as they need. We should make sure the clerics can provide provisions and we should have backup provisions of our own. Let's make sure we stick together in pairs as outlined previously, going forward. Sleep may become a rarity and time won't be on our side. We should make a plan and execute it as quickly as possible as we get closer. Any knowledge of the inside of where we are going and where we need to go will be most useful."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Storm11 »

The old gypsy seeress suggested we head to the crypts. It's as good a place as any. We need to find and rescue Ireena if it is not too late for her. Help yourself to the sword. I remember little about it." Castran replies once he is fully prepared.

"Heading in daylight to the castle is a must. Darkness brings with it a much more sinister evil. The vampires knew all about which items from our colleges were magical and beneficial and stole the lot."
Greys Campaign.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Looks at the items gathered. None of the armor will fit me and i have a good weapon. As for the sword. It did seem to be very powerful against the undead.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Zhym »

Sorry, I forgot the sword. It's a +1 broadsword. The sword that was so powerful against the undead was not among the weapons used by the undead for some reason. ;)

At 10:00 AM, Agax is waking up the other spell casters. He's like a kid who can't wait to open his presents on Christmas morning. Bragar needs 2:45 to recover all his spells, so the earliest the party can set out and have a full complement of spells would be about 1:00 in the afternoon.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#209 Post by Cwreando »

Lar ask the others, "I would like the plate mail if no others want it. I prefer the sword I have so the Broadsword can go to another. My previous armor can go to another as well. Banded mail +1. Perhaps Shinyah and I can go check for provision while the others prep spells and such. Remember stick with your partner. If we need to switch up to do stuff that's ok just make sure we all know."

Lar will train also with the new armor on to test it in combat moves while Shinyah watches him before they check nearby for provisions as the others rest.

Gragog and Agax, Bragar and Castran, Scarlett and Bogdana (Girls), Shinyah plus pets and Myself. No change in marching order though unless someone desires it.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Dram »

Bragar- If no one wants the broadsword. I will carry it. I will train with it, as my god allows me to use any weapon.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

GreyWolfVT

#211 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Well I've got on armor that allows for me to move better Splint Mail +1. I also have only trained in fighting with Mace, Spear and Broad Sword all of my weapons currently are magical except my Broad Sword so I can take that sword if you would prefer otherwise I'd not wish to hog all the magical weapons." the Half-Orc decrees "I'd not mind being in the front lines of our march though it may be wiser to have a cleric or another warrior beside me an not expose our magic hurling ones to the front line battles."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by Cwreando »

Lar says, "How about the following for marching order going forward?

Marching order:

Gragog: AC 1/2/2, THAC0 14
Castran: AC 2/5/3 (0/3/0 w/ Phantom Armor active), THAC0 16, 9"
Lar: AC 0/2/2, THAC0 15
Bragar: AC 3/4/3, THAC0 16, 12"
Scarlett: AC 6/7/6, THAC0 16 Leather +2, Clerical Ephod +1 Prot, Dex -1, Should be (4/5/4)
Agax: AC 4/7/4, THAC0 19
Bogdana: AC 3/4/4, THAC0 20
Shinyah: AC 4/6/6, THAC0 16
Petyr: AC 3/4/4, THAC0 17

My reasoning's are simple. My gifts from Ohama will be shared with the row in front of me and behind me so long as we are close enough together. The casters are more to the middle of the order and if we think we will need Scarlett's thief abilities we can move her forward. We have a fighter in the back with the strong druid. Does anyone prefer to be in a different order? Perhaps Petyr or Bogdona can make use of my old armor? If so let's have them put it on. Being close together might be a problem with area effect spells though?"

Does magical armor hinder movement? No armor is 12" and Plate mail is 6" but is Magical Plate mail 12" ? Or is it non weight bearing?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Storm11 »

Castran is good with that order
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#214 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "That order sounds fine by me."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett will agree to move on from the town. "It is as if they are all resigned to their grim fates and both fight and faith have left this dreary place."

Scarlett will say a devotional prayer over the funeral pyres and throw some of the ashes into the barren streets. Its' a form of gypsy curse and a rejection of the people who have faint hearts and wills.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Will continue to pray for his spells. Haela Brightaxe goddess of battle. Please grant me the power to destroy the evil we will be facing in the days to come.

Spell list
Level 1
Cleric-Cure Light Wounds
Command
Cure Light Wounds
Cure Light Wounds
PROTECTION FROM EVIL
Remove Fear

Level 2
Cleric-Chant
Chant
Cleric-Silence 15' Radius
Find Traps
Spiratual Hammer

Level 3
Dispel Magic
Glyph of Warding
Remove Curse

Level 4
Cure Serious
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 13, 1222
Time: 10:00 AM
Weather: Fog

Agax, who indeed had woken up and chosen to ignore the battle raging downstairs, asks quite unfairly why no one came to get him. He insists that everyone should all leave immediately to take advantage of the daytime. Castran agrees that traveling in daylight is crucial. But the spell casters need time to study and pray. Bragar in particular expended many spells protecting and mending the other party members. He is not so eager to set out against Strahd without all the powers his god will give him.

As Bragar prays, the rest of you divvy the spoils of battle.

Lar, holy warrior of Ohama, tries on the glittering golden armor once worn by the paladin of the One True God. It fits remarkably well, if a bit loosely because Lar is less muscular than the armor's original owner. The armor is festooned with imagery exalting the One, including a large red cross over the breastplate. Surely Ohama will forgive her champion for wearing it in this time of need?

Castran, perhaps deciding that additional protection would be more useful than being able to attack with two weapons, takes the deceased holy warrior's shield. The paladin's metal shield is nearly as large as he is, however, and the gnome realizes that he could not possibly cast spells while carrying it.

Gragog claims Agrippo's bronzed spear as a spare. Petyr speaks up. "I could sure use that thing," he says. "If you wouldn't mind." Petyr also tries on Iluq's banded mail, seeing that no one else is interested. The dark elf's armor is too tight on him, but it fits Bogdana just fine. Lar's old armor, however, fits Petyr as if it were made for him.

Bogdana takes the magic mace no one else seems to want.

Agax, who did not participate in the early morning festivities, whines that the treasures include nothing for him to use. "Were there no wizards in your original party?" he asks. Castran tells him of Fendt, the elven fighter and mage, and of his fate. He does not have the heart, it seems, to talk of Tibbius and his doom.

After finishing his prayers, Bragar offers to carry Excommunicator, pointing out that Haela Brightaxe allows him to use edged weapons. But he also admits that he would need training with the broadsword, never having used one before. Gragog offers to carry the broadsword as well, but defers to the cleric, not wanting to hog the magical weapons.

The chain mail sits alone on the floor, unwanted and unloved.

When the loot distribution, study, and prayers are finished, it is well into the afternoon. Any final preparations or errands before you set out for the castle?
I had to go back and look up what we'd decided about Castran being able to carry a shield. Here's where we talked about it: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=3811&start=200#p171295

The result was that Castran could use a small wooden shield or what for a human would be a buckler. Vorkath's shield is just too huge for him.

Bragar can use the broadsword, but he'll be subject to a -3 non-proficiency penalty. A 7th level cleric has only three proficiency slots. I don't see proficiencies listed on his sheet, so I'll say his proficiencies are in the first three weapons on his weapon list: battle axe, mace, and crossbow.

Also, just a note: replacing an unused spell with a new one still requires time to study or pray for the new spell. I see Bragar replacing all five of his his level 1 spells, three level 2 spells, and his one level 4 spell. That's 15 total spell levels, which will take him 3:45 to pray for, allowing the party to leave at 1:45 at the earliest. Dram, if you'd like to have Bragar keep some of his previously prepared level 1 or level 2 spells, that will allow the party to leave sooner.

Summarizing the post above, then, we have:

Plate Mail +1: Lar
Shield +1: ??
Excommunicator: Bragar? Or maybe Gragog?
Spear +1: Petyr (if Gragog will relinquish it)
Mace +1: Bogdana
Banded +1 (from Iluq): Bogdana
Banded +1 (from Lar): Petyr
Chain mail +1: No one.

So I think we still need a taker for the shield and maybe the sword. If no one else wants the shield, Petyr or Bogdana will carry it.

Also, if you want a different spell list for today and haven't posted it yet, now's your last chance.
-----
Status: Bragar: 34/42 (C7), Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Gragog (F7): 49/49; Lar (P6): 35/40; Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7): 45/45; Petyr (F4): 26/30; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 33/38, Honeynose: 26/28, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 5 pts left

GreyWolfVT

#218 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog tosses the bronze spear to Petyr. "Certainly Petyr I don't need both spear and a sword or shield since our gnome friend cannot heft the large shield." hopefully Petyr can catch the spear. ;)

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#219 Post by Cwreando »

Lar prays to Ohama, "I do not wear this armor to slight you Ohama. I wear this to improve my chances to do your bidding and the path you have put me on. Give me a sign if you do not wish me to wear it."

Lar wonders if Ohama and the other god are working in concert. From now on his holy symbol will be worn on the outside so both symbols will be seen. Perhaps the One may use the symbol on this armor and assist us as Ohama may use my symbol.

Lar is ready to go.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Storm11 »

If the shield is too big for the gnome he will relinquish it, take off his leather armour and recast Phantom Armour before bed, swapping out a colour spray for a phantom armour spell
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Ravenloft”