9. Five Months Later

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

9. Five Months Later

#1 Post by Zhym »

For Bragar and Castran, the days pass uneventfully by one after another. Weeks accumulate into months. Damp grey autumn turns into icy dark winter, finally thawing into a rainy spring that brings neither light nor joy.

Throughout their imprisonment in this place, Bragar and Castran spend their days in invisible observation. Dire wolves occasionally begin to terrorize the town again, and at night, worse things come about. Other than the attacks, most days are dreadfully boring. Little happens in Barovia, and even less is worth noting.

But every now and then, something reminds the pair that Strahd is not dormant in his castle. Gypsy messengers occasionally pass through town on their way east, then return a few days later. Once a month, a supply cart visits Bildrath's Mercantile. They even see Strahd's coach rumble through town once, the jet-black carriage drawn by the horses that seemed to absorb all light, steam rising from their noses as they charged. A week later, the carriage returns.

Aside from those slight diversions, the days have been dull, empty, and pointless. Both are sick of the bland food that Bragar conjures forth each day. This was not the adventuring life they had sought. They eventually start to wonder if they should just march to the castle, or perhaps walk out of the fog and let the poison take its course. Either might be better than a relentlessly boring life spent hiding in Barovia.

On the twelfth day of Trieluna, the third month of the year 1222, on another cold and rainy day, Bragar and Castran are watching the east road, more out of habit than any hope of seeing something interesting, when a group of what are clearly adventurers comes walking down the road. There's a knight in shining banded armor; a half-orc carrying a spear and wearing splint mail; a white-bearded man in flowing robes and pointy hat that all but says "Wizzard" on it; a woman in leather armor with dark brown hair tied behind her in braids; a tall, wiry man in leather armor and a dark green cloak, using a spear as a walking stick; a young man who barely makes any impression at all; and a woman who by her garb must be a priestess of Ohama. Two bears pad along with them. Bragar and Castran are invisible, as usual, and the approaching party shows no sign of detecting their presence.
Time passes: [2d4] = 5 [2d2] = 3 (1=weeks, 2-3=months, 3=years)

Please ignore the other roll in the dice roller. I used the wrong macro for the time interval (2d4 instead of 2d2).
-----
Gragog (F7): 40/49; Lar (P6): 34/40; Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7): 45/45; Petyr (F4): 30/30; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 38/38, Honeynose: 28/28, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Invisibility (Castran), Castran: Invisibility (Bragar)
Last edited by Zhym on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 9. Five Months Later

#2 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Castran one of us should make ourselves visible. These are the people we been waiting 5 months for hopefully. We need to get in here with before the gypsies see them.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Storm11 »

"I will do it if you like!" says the spell blade moving forwards.

He will move out into the middle of the track and cancel his spell of concealment.

"Welcome to Barovia, my name is Castran. Be you adventurers come in search of vanquishing the evil that lies upon this land? For if you do I may be able to help you!"
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

"Why yes!" the white bearded, pointy hatted man said with merry amazement at the sudden arrival of a gnome guardian on the front lawn of this evil estate.
"Yes we are. How handy of you to just appear like that. However did you know? And how do you do? I am called Agax the Dreamer. I am a seventh level Magic-Us... er... that is to say, I am a Wizard. Of some skill. It's so very nice to make your acquaintance, Castran. A gnome... Why you must be an illusionist! How very clever!" he said with obvious delight.

"Now! How do you propose that we trust you, here in this dread land of unspeakable wickedness?" he grinned warmly.
Agax:
Agax1.jpg
Agax1.jpg (235.34 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Storm11 »

"Well that is the question isn't it. Welcome Agax. I am a wizard myself indeed, and no slouch with a blade either. I guess you will have to way that up yourselves. I am really at a disadvantage here as you are many and I am one. I have friends however and know some of what is occurring within this cursed land. I have been bored to tears waiting for adventurers such as yourselves to show within the misty bounds of the township. You sure took your damn time eh" he says with a wink, his long blue robes under his jet black plate armoured breastplate swishing as he moves.

"There is a tale to tell here. There are many abandoned and dilapidated buildings in Barovia. The inn is a place of comfort, but the gypsy tribe that run it are out for more coin than is reasonable. As is the shop here in. Be wary here fellow adventurers, for all is not as it seems. I offer you merely the hand of friendship. Read my thoughts if you are in doubt, or sense my aura should you wish to. I have nothing to hide."
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:
Storm11 wrote:"Be wary here fellow adventurers, for all is not as it seems. I offer you merely the hand of friendship."
"That's quite a fascinating paradox, my friend: Trust no one, nothing is as it seems... except you. Only the illusionist is what he appears to be and only he should be taken at his word." Agax smiled, not unkindly. He enjoyed this little logic game, as he did all games and puzzles.
Storm11 wrote:"Read my thoughts if you are in doubt, or sense my aura should you wish to. I have nothing to hide."
"A capital idea," Agax said with a little regret at the logic puzzle being resolved before it really began. He smiled toward Lar, Scarlett, Bogdana and Shinyah, "Would you be so kind?"
(Agax has no Detect Evil or Know Alignment currently memorized)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog the spear wielding half-orc "Well yes and no. I came here seeking to fight against the evil yes. But I also came to seek to make a name for myself and prove my fighting skills by fighting the evil that plagues this land as well as perhaps relieving that evil of some of it's treasures." he pauses and rests his speak on his shoulders "Castran are you the greeter of this town? I am Gragog Orthak but you can call me Gragog."
Gragog Image
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Steps out from the doorway of the abandoned house and bows to the party. I am Bragar Battlehammer Cleric of Haela Brightaxe. We came here to loot the castle over five months ago. We lost most our party. Than lost all the party that saved us in that castle. Strahd is a most powerful Vampire and we will most definitely have to kill our friends now.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

"A vampire you say?!" Agax asked the second diminutive greeter of Ravenloft to suddenly appear out of thin air. "I say, are there many more of you about?"

The wizard's eyes slowly lost their frivolity but grew much clearer. "A vampire..." he said softly to himself. "It's worse than I feared."

Then he abruptly looked directly at Castran and Bragar and said with dark solemnity, "While we cast dweomers to confirm your integrity and intent, please tell us everything you know about this Strahd. Everything. You see, we're rather fond of details and things."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Storm11 »

I have lost two adventuring companies within the dark castle Ravenloft that sits up on yonder mountain. We have fought off vampire maidens disguised as the help, dark spirits that seem to drain the life right from their victims, and stranger things besides. The vistani gypsies that dwell here about seek to be able to travel the mists that enshroud the land, poisoning all but Madame Eva's band when trying to leave. There was talk of our last adventurers, rescuers really as they pulled us from the webs of a giant spider larder, that the troupe brought a woman from the village, whom Strahd tormented and fed from each night, finally causing her father the burgomaster's heart to give out. Madame Eva read our fortune and suggested that the devil man lairs in the depths of the castle. That is all we really know , other than the vampire maid bewitched the rest of our company, and forced them to attack and try and kill us. Luckily Bragar and I escaped via magical means and fled here, and we have been stuck ever since, hoping that brace heroes would venture within and we may join them and take the fight to the vampire once and for all."

The gnome sits down in the street, watching what the locals are up to and if they notice the new arrivals. He gathers his robes beneath him to make him comfortable as he sits.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Vampire, hmm that is a lot more than I figured we'd be fighting against. We will need a very good strategy and plan of attack before we rush into this one head first." the half-orc stands there a little wrinkle in his forehead indicating he is deep in thought over the revelations of this new situation.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Winces at the memory of their friends death. The ones that weren't eaten by rats. We figured they just lets us go. because we could not escape the mist. We are a guaranteed meal if needed. That is why we stay hidden under spells.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Cwreando »

"I am a paladin of Ohama and I have been sent on a quest to vanquish the evil that plagues this area. It is growing stronger and we must put a stop to it", says Lar with purpose. "The same fate that befell your friends may yet befall us unless we act with purpose and guidance. Anything you can share about your adventures so far may help us all in understanding what we are dealing with. The more we know the better prepared we will be."

Lar detect evil if no strong presence with either of them he tells the others and moves to shake their hands.

"I will pray to Ohama for your friends souls. Is there some place we can talk, rest, eat and is there danger here we should be concerned with?"
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Storm11 »

Castran moves to shake the paladins hand.

"sometimes the vampyr has been known to attack with wolves, but since we escaped he has left us be. He has Ireena and that was his objective I believe. We have secured one of the less dilapidated houses and warded it with our magic. You are welcome to come back with us. Or try your luck at the inn. It was several golds a night and run by the vistani."
Greys Campaign.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Dram »

Bragar- There was talk of a ring that would help us defeat this Vampire. I believe he has it now. As we could not find it. One of the party that saved said that it was a friends of theres that fell to the vampire before we met them. He looks to Castran in case he had forgotten anything.

Hopefully I remembered that all correctly.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Storm11 »

i am well impressed as I don't remember it at all :D
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

The dreaming wizard listened closely and unhappily.

If Lar could sense no evil among Castran and Bragar, Agax said: "Hmmm. Thank you. I am sorry for your troubles. Truly, I am.
"We'd best retreat to your warded house, I should imagine. It seems more private, and defencible, than the vistani inn. No offence, Scarlett."
"Is there a path to your home that allows us to pass unnoticed by the vampire's spies? Or shall you render us invisible as well?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 12, 1222
Time: 5:30 PM
Weather: Fog

You stand in the road near the edge of the forest, a few hundred yards from the town itself, assessing each other. Trust is quickly established. Bragar and Castran tell of the Vampyr Strahd and of two parties they have lost. The newcomers decide to join with them anyway.

Lar wisely suggests relocating to a place where you can rest and talk further. Indeed, the hour is getting late, and though the ever-present mist and overcast skies make it difficult to tell when the sun sets, night cannot be more than an hour away.

As you turn towards town, there is a rustle in the trees behind you. Hihu, perched on Shinyah's shoulder, starts from his slumber and flies several feet into the air. The bears turn and growl. Seconds later, you see the cause of the disturbance: several black-haired wolves, each the size of a large pony, emerge from the forest about 30' away.

Actions! -----
Status: Bragar: 42/42 (C7), Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Gragog (F7): 40/49; Lar (P6): 34/40; Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7): 45/45; Petyr (F4): 30/30; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 38/38, Honeynose: 28/28, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: None

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Very well our first test since we got to town. Lets be smart here." the half-orc readies his spear.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Dam we been hiding from those bloody wolves for 5 months. And you guys are here 10 minutes and they come right to us. Must be them stinking bears. Aah! No worries now. We would of had to fight these things sooner or later.Bragar draws his Magic mace and readies himself for a fight.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “Ravenloft”