9. Five Months Later

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 9. Five Months Later

#221 Post by Zhym »

Sorry, but if Castran wants to refresh Phantom Armor, he needs to do so in the morning after preparing the spell. You can't swap out a spell last thing before going to bed—spells can only be prepared after uninterrupted rest. Do you want to make the swap in the morning?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Will take the Excommunicator. He will check to see if it will fit across his back. He looks to Gragog. Gragog my new friend if you wish to take it is yours. But if we do find time teach me how to use it. He looks at the chainmail left on the floor. If one of you can carry this mail you should. There were other monsters in and around the castle. Rust monsters, Green Slime. And we did not slay them. He will hand the sword to Gragog if he wants it.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#223 Post by Cwreando »

Lar says, A Rust monster you say. I think I will find me a small thick limb to walk with to fend off such a beast or keep it at bay." As they travel Lar will look for one on the ground to use and hopes the druid is ok with it.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Storm11 »

Zhym wrote:Sorry, but if Castran wants to refresh Phantom Armor, he needs to do so in the morning after preparing the spell. You can't swap out a spell last thing before going to bed—spells can only be prepared after uninterrupted rest. Do you want to make the swap in the morning?

Castran already had Phantom armour in his memory before bed. Presumably he would have known that the shield was too big to use with his magic once he picked it up, so why can't he cast the spell before he settled down for the night?
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#225 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "No no I am just trying to offer help. Perhaps I can teach you how to use the sword. I shall just take the shield then for now." taking the shield only nothing more.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Zhym »

Storm11 wrote:Castran already had Phantom armour in his memory before bed.
Oh, right. That'll teach me to replace the spell lists without saving a copy of the old ones. The phrasing of swapping out spells confused me.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Storm11 »

Zhym wrote:
Storm11 wrote:Castran already had Phantom armour in his memory before bed.
Oh, right. That'll teach me to replace the spell lists without saving a copy of the old ones. The phrasing of swapping out spells confused me.
no problemo :)
Greys Campaign.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Zhym »

Any other business? Or shall we have the party set out for the castle? And is there anything special you want to do on the way, or shall I just roll random encounters until you (hopefully) reach the castle?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Storm11 »

How long did it take us to get to the castle last time? I don't think we should arrive just before dark to be honest.
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

Having nodded off for only a moment, Agax suddenly bolted upright with eyes wide open. "Very well then," the dreaming wizard smiled as he turned to Castran and Bragar.
"You know the landscape. You've studied the enemy for months, awaiting your chance. I daresay you've no doubt dreamt of this very moment. Good sirs, how shall we proceed to this blackguard's lair?"

Then the merry mage's face grew deadly serious. "Last night's ghastly welcoming committee means he knows we're coming."
Storm11 wrote:I don't think we should arrive just before dark to be honest.
Agree!!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Zhym »

Storm11 wrote:How long did it take us to get to the castle last time? I don't think we should arrive just before dark to be honest.
Last time, it took about four hours to get from the Burgomaster's house to the drawbridge in front of the castle. If you travel light and/or everyone is mounted, you could probably get there a little more quickly, but either way you're looking at arriving at the castle shortly before or after dark.

Also: Castran and Bragar have been stuck in Barovia for months. During all that time, they never saw the sun, except heavily filtered through the ever-present fog and cloud cover. The night is certainly Strahd's, but the days don't seem that much better.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Castran should we take the way left the castle? Through the front gate. The green slime is at the bridge. We do not know the way our friends entered.

OCC- How did we entered the castle. The group that saved us entered different than us if remember correctly.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Zhym »

The previous group went in the front door. IIRC, I basically hand-waved how Bragar and Castran's group got in. If I said anything about it, it would be in the long background post that was in PM and might be in the game resources thread.

GreyWolfVT

#234 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Wait whats this about slime? Nasty creatures hard to fight off."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Stirling »

"Let's get to this gatehouse, any slimy creatures can be dealt with by fire I think. Unless it has slithered off in search of new food, don't think the postman or milk delivery has gone to this castle recently so it may be hunting elsewhere. Do they hunt? Or just grow and hang about like creeping vines," Scarlett rambles some thoughts and in quiet moments will sing a few psalms regarding Samar guiding and guarding our way.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#236 Post by Cwreando »

"If it is in the afternoon before we get going we probably won't make it to the castle before sundown. If we can get an idea of how long we have to travel from here to the castle we can best decide our travel plans", comments Lar. "Let's not make rash decisions in are rush to get to the castle. I recommend we arrange our travel to arrive at the castle between dawn and mid morning. We don't travel at night and camp before sundown with enough time to prep a good fire."

"Let's get a good start for tonight at least. It seems we'd have no better protection staying here it seems."

Lady Bogdana and Lar say a prayer together to Ohama for the party's well being and success of their quest.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Storm11 »

If we are bedding down for the night Castran will cast invisibility upon himself before resting. When he wakes in four hours for his shift he will memorise the spell again.
Greys Campaign.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#238 Post by Cwreando »

Well I think it's just in the afternoon now and It all depends on some timing as to how we head out to get to the castle trying to get there between 6 AM and 10 AM ish. If the sun sets at say 7PM and it's only 1 PM we can travel for 5 hrs and set up camp (if that won't put us at the castle yet) then pace out the rest of the travel as needed.

GreyWolfVT

#239 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog shrugs "Well the castles not going anywhere so might be worth not rushing headlong into the face of doom."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

"A capital suggestion!" said the dreaming wizard merrily. "Now, it seems our most pressing task is to prepare against another nocturnal assault. We need leave this building, perhaps invisibly, and find another, defensible fortification where we may rest unseen... and unsmelt by the snouts of wolves."

He looked once more to the two accidental locals: "Do you know of such a place. I rather don't relish the thought of defending ourselves in Strahd's haunted wood, eh?"

"Even if we awake here at dawn, we might make the gate of his dread lair by mid-morning."

Does Castran have a radius spell that can render us all invisible?
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun