The Temple of Pelor (1)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

The Temple of Pelor (1)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sir Ugghra, Orando, and the ranger Epi decide they will try to find Brother Tomas for some more questioning. The Temple of Pelor is easy enough to spot, sitting high up on the top of the big hill just west of town.

They head out of the Mayors estate and travel west towards the temple. They round the corner and see three similarly decorated buildings, the largest with a big sign out front, indicating that this is The Crusty Jug Tavern.

They continue past the Brotherton's Boarding House and another large, unidentifiable building along the way. As they approach the lane leading up to the temple, they see the acolyte Ernie. He is halfheartedly scraping bird crap of of a very nice looking statue of Pelor. He notices the pair coming and happily stops his arduous task to greet you.

Well met again friends, did you figure it all out already?
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Temple of Pelor (Ugghra and Epi)

#2 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

Sir Ugghra was happy to have the company of Epi and Orando despite being blithely unaware of either's gender, or perhaps because of it.
He purred to Ernie, "Ah, There You Are My Good Man! Would You Please Be So Kind As Direct Us to Brother Tomas' Current Whereabouts, and then Please Go To..." and proceeded to send him on a fool's errand that would take a hour to complete.

When the aristocratic abomination finally found Brother Tomas, and managed to get him alone with his two fellow investigators, he spoke sharply and quietly. His ample lips barely moved and his horrible eyes fairly seethed in their sockets at the complete lack of help offered by the very people that had requested aid! "Now, Sir, I Expect You To Tell Us What This Is All About. There Are No Prying Eyes About. Out With It, Confound You. Tell Us Everything You Know, and Then We Shall Begin In Earnest Our Investigation with the Townsfolk. Forewarned is Forearmed, Sir, I Am Certain You no doubt Agree!
  • "Who Are The Lookers? Do Please Finally Share Your Theories on Them! Fear Not. You Shan't Mislead Us with your Wrongheaded Assumptions. Rest Assured, We Will Judge Them on their Merits and Decide For Ourselves!

"If "M" is Merely a Myth and, as you insist, There Is No Ghost, Whyever Do You Cower At His Name?

"Exactly How Much Time Transpired Between Each Rash of Disappearances of Town Girls and their Would-be Rescuers? Years? Months? How Long Has it Been Since This Strangely-Titled Gentleman, 'Positive Steve,' Went Missing? We Need to Establish a Timetable of All the Disappearances.

"Earlier, You Mentioned 'Folks Behaving Strangely.' Perhaps You would be so Good as to Now Please Elucidate and Enlighten Us on this Matter?

"We'll Need All the Addresses of the Victim's Families So That We May Interview Them, please.

"And,"
he ended, almost sweetly but not quite, "Perhaps You Would Be So Good As To Recommend a Reputable Inn here Where We Might Lodge and Dine this Evening?"

I guess Ugghra has staked out 'bad cop.' I suppose one should play to his strengths. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

Sir Ugghra was happy to have the company of Epi and Orando despite being blithely unaware of either's gender, or perhaps because of it.
He purred to Ernie, "Ah, There You Are My Good Man! Would You Please Be So Kind As Direct Us to Brother Tomas' Current Whereabouts?

Ernie smiles widely at the abominable half-orc.

Im very sorry sir!

Brother Tomas is in meditation at the moment and will not take callers during this spiritual time. He needs to commune with the great Pelor for several hours a day, then he sleeps, then he prays for his many powers of healing.

I'm afraid he won't be available again until tomorrow morning.

Is there anything I can help you with?
the teenager says with a toothy grin.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

By this point, loathsome lord wanted to pull Brother Tomas from his prayers by means of a horsewhip. He resisted this most natural of urges only because of the presence of a lady, Orando the third scion of the elf, Gallus. Why he would send his daughter here was a puzzle almost as mysterious as the disappearances in Brotherton!

Keeping his gentlemanly countenance, against all odds, Ugghra's lovely voice said, "Ah, Ernie. Sweet, Helpful Ernie. Perhaps You Could Be of Some Assistance? ...Alone Amongst the Principals Involved in This Matter...

"We'll Need All the Addresses of the Victim's Families So That We May Interview Them, please.
" Ugghra will recite the victim's names if Ernie needs help.

"Exactly How Much Time Transpired Between Each Rash of Disappearances of Town Girls and their Would-be Rescuers? Years? Months? How Long Has it Been Since This Strangely-Titled Gentleman, 'Positive Steve,' Went Missing? We Need to Establish a Timetable of All the Disappearances.

"Who Are The Lookers? Do Please Share Your Theories on Them.

"If Mortimer is Merely a Myth and There Is No Ghost, Whyever Does Brother Tomas Cower At His Name?

"Around Brotherton, Have You perchance Noticed Anyone Behaving Strangely?

"And Just How Long Has Brother Tomas been Acting This Way?"

Ernie was aware of the investigation, so there was no harm in asking.
It was likely he knew nothing. But to date, very little in Brotherton had transpired in accordance with logic or rational thinking.
If Ernie knew the address of just one of the victim's families, the group could press on to there, and the day would not be a complete and total waste.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: The Temple of Pelor (Ugghra Epi Orando)

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

To be honest, I don't really know that much about the investigation as far as a timeline. The whole ordeal started long before I was born you see. If you are specific, I'm sure I could point out where certain families live, but I don't think they are going to like somebody dredging up decades old memories from their already tortured past. What happened to them girls was a real tragedy that the town is still haunted by every time someone else goes missing, Positive Steve being no exception.

He was like a hero to the families of the victims. He never stopped looking for clues, even when most of the others did. It was a real shame when he fell victim himself. That was about 2 months ago now. He was such a great guy too. Friendly and always, well, positive! That's how he got the name I'm pretty sure!

"Who Are The Lookers? Do Please Share Your Theories on Them.

The boy completely ignores this question, as if you didn't even ask it.

"If Mortimer is Merely a Myth and There Is No Ghost, Whyever Does Brother Tomas Cower At His Name?

He wasn't cowering, I've never seen Brother Tomas back down or cower from anyone or anything!

All I know about Mad Mortimer is that he was another strange, dirty wizard that never left his tower. People say his ghost is consuming all the people but I don't buy that. He died when his tower blew up a long time ago. The ruins are a few miles north of town but, nobody ever goes out there. They're all afraid of ghosts.

"Around Brotherton, Have You perchance Noticed Anyone Behaving Strangely?

Mister, we get all kinds of people that come and go around here. Being right off the main road, half the people in this town at any one time are just moving from one place to another. Believe me, I've seen a LOT of strange folk. Why, six of em came into town just today if you catch me. The boy smirks, hoping you understand his meaning.

"And Just How Long Has Brother Tomas been Acting This Way?"

The good priest is not acting any differently than I've ever known him to. Do I sense that you think he has something to do with this? If so, then you couldn't be more wrong! Brother Tomas is a saint amongst men! Don't think his great age makes him witless. He is still as sharp mentally as he was when I first met him 10 years ago.

"We'll Need All the Addresses of the Victim's Families So That We May Interview Them, please." Ugghra will recite the victim's names if Ernie needs help.

He can point out the Harrison and Bird farms easily enough. He also tells you that old man Kresty, who's wife went missing, still runs his business over by the Mayors place.(23) Positive Steve lived at the militia house (48) but has since been replaced by the new captain, Teneel.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Epi sighs, "So Positive Steve was investigating the vanishings prior to his own disappearance a couple of months back. Is there a sheriff's office or would that be in this militia house? Captain Teneel is the new sheriff?"

He turns to the others, "Perhaps Positive Steve found something out which is why he was taken or whatever. He might have some notes about his investigation. Shall we check that out?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie

Yes, I know it must sound strange. There are a lot of oddities about the way things are done here in Brotherton. Steve never liked the term "Captain of the Guard, which is what he was. He always told everyone to call him Sheriff instead, so we all did.

You can see why our leaders decided to go outside for help if our own militia leader can become a victim.

Anyway, Captain Teneel now lives at the Militia House and believe me, he is all business. He may still have some of Positive Steve's records. Not to many folk like him though. He is kind of a jerk.

Anything else sirs.....er......I mean.....will there be anything else?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Grognardsw »

"Why did you avoid the question about the lookers?" asks Orando.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie doesn't ignore the question this time, quite the opposite actually.

He stares at Orando for a few seconds, then bursts into tears and falls to his knees.

He starts wailing like a lunatic and continues crying. Why! Why! The gods have indeed forsaken me! Why can't everyone just leave us alone!!! She has never done anything to hurt anyone! Why doesn't anyone believe that!

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

The ranger kneels down next to Ernie and puts her arm around him, "There, there my good man. What's all this blubbering about, if you say she never hurt anyone, I'm sure you are right. Who says otherwise and who is this she your talking about? Remember we are here to help."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando smiles, placing a reassuring hand on Ernie's shoulder, adding to Epi's words. "We are here to help."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie sniffles a little more when Epi tries to comfort him. He looks into the soothing eyes of the ranger and his sniveling ceases.

When Orando also shows his support, the acolyte can sense that the elf meant no harm by his words.

I'm sorry about the outburst. Its just that, my mom and me have been dealing with this finger pointing and name calling ever since I can remember. The boy stands back up and wipes his wet and dirty face on his sleeve.

She is no different than you and me you know, she doesn't deserve to be treated like she did something wrong!!!

I have heard a lot of folk, Brother Tomas included, use that term before and I don't think even he knows just how ignorant and hurtful it can be.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

"Ignorance and prejudice can cut like a sword, I know," says Orando soothingly. "We carry no such ill will. We are strangers here though, and do not know what the term 'looker' means. Why the finger pointing and suspicions of you and your mother?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie looks at Orando and nods his head slowly. He seems to have calmed down completely now.

Yes, I suppose you are strangers here Mis.......... I mean, ummm, did you say your name was Orando? And you are Epi if I remember correctly? Ernie looks a little afraid of the large half-orc so he doesn't address him yet.

My mother is known as one of the "lookers" here in town. Stupid name for a stupid prejudice if you ask me. She is a completely normal person and a lot nicer than some of the other people around here. She is just a little different, that's all.

I never knew her before I was born obviously, so I've never seen her act any other way. She seems totally fine to me but, some people say that, the way they look at you, just isn't normal.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, elf

"Yes, Orando is my name and this is Epi," answers Orando. "How is your mother different? Does she have a particular telent?"

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Epi nods at her name being mentioned, but elects not to interrupt the elf's questioning.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie

Well, they really ain't that different from us I guess. He pauses for a long time as if he doesn't want to talk about it, then he looks at Orando and slowly starts up again.

Ive heard people say things like, "the lights are lit but nobody's home", but I don't find that to be true. They are just as smart as anyone else but, they just don't show very much enthusiasm..........or emotion.

Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

Epi shrugs, "Well I guess it takes all kinds to make a town. So folks are just...um...suspicious of these "Lookers" just because they are a bit different from themselves? Makes no sense to me. Any idea on how many of these so called "Lookers" might be in town? Have any of them vanished?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie squirms around nervously and looks apologetic.

Is it ok if I keep cleaning while we talk? If I don't get this done before dark, Brother Tomas will not be happy.

The spindly boy goes back to cleaning off the crap.

Some seem to have it worse than others so I'm not really sure exactly how many there are. I know of at least 4 that got it real obvious like. One of em is my mom.

I don't think any of em ever went missing that I can remember.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando bids his invisible porter to take over Ernie's cleaning tasks as he ponders what these 'Lookers' may be.

"Sit and rest good Ernie while my unseen servant attends to the cleaning. Tell us more." He hands the acolyte a wine skin. "Can you give us the names of these other four special individuals? May we talk with your mother? One never knows what may be important in our investigation."

In his head Orando ticks off investigation paths to follow:

- Brother Tomas interview
- Ernie mother interview
- Postive Steve notes with Capt. Teneel
- Four other Lookers
- Harrison, Bird and Kresty victim families
- Mortimer tower ruins
The Panguine's Porter spell lasts 9 turns or 90 minutes, so I think it's still going.

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”