HELP!!! The quest begins

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: HELP!!! The quest begins

#161 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote:At breakfast that morning with the party, a more martial looking Orando, hair tied back, says, "last night I saw but was unseen, and heard without being heard. Here is what I learned..."
OGRE MAGE wrote:As the evening passes, the place seems quite calm and quiet for a small town tavern. There is literally no debauchery going on of any kind. You surmise that Yon must run a pretty tight ship when it comes to his patrons actions.

Later in the evening, a pair of farmer types come in and get a friendly welcome from Yon, indicating their regularity in his place. They chat for a while about the latest "goings on" in town.

You learn things like:

The crotchety old Mayor has gotten so bad that she don't even leave her home anymore. She must have hired another group of "investigators" to sort out the missing persons because there is more strangers around asking questions. It won't be long until they've disappeared too, just like the last group.

This new group is poking around asking about the Wizards tower. Only a damn fool would go anywhere near that place.

Old Tomas isn't doing very well again. Seems like it's just a matter of time before he will be in the ground too. I don't think Ernie is quite ready to take over the reigns.

That dirtbag Pitchfork has all the rowdy blacksmith types celebrating something again. I wouldn't go into that place at night if you paid me. The place is packed full of killers and thieves. The new sheriff will put a stop to whatever they're doing in there to be bringing all that coin.
"Furthermore," Orando explains...
OGRE MAGE wrote:Orando .... Pitchfork's....The place is still pretty loud but both the front and back doors are closed and manned with a nasty looking half-orc. Peering through the windows reveals a few seedy looking patrons and a tall, scary looking barkeep...

At the end of the night, you do notice a freakish looking old woman walking with some strange doglike creature that hisses loudly in your direction....The bouncer nods and silently lets her enter.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

The well-heeled heel said, "Well Mr. Grillock, It Would Appear We've Found Your Shadow Guild.
"Excellent Work, Madam."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Inferno »

As he set out from the inn that morning for the Temple of Pelor and its curiously unhelpful master, Sir Ugghra spied Miss Epi quietly entering the town's dress shoppe.*

Sir Ugghra beamed with silent approval. He was delighted that he had been able to play some small part in this highly positive turn of events. He was rather surprised though. Miss Epi had seemed so firmly set against the prospect last night.
"Hmm," the well-borne brute thought, "I Suppose It's True What They Say. Sometimes A Woman Doesn't Know Her Own Mind. Sometimes, With a Woman, No Means Yes."

:? :shock: :roll:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#164 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It is still early morning for most of you. (mid morning for Odilo and Grillock after eating a slowly prepared meal)

Lots of time left in the day yet for things like...........going to the tower? :lol:

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#165 Post by GreyWolfVT »

nope we have to go pick up a potion first. :P
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ok, did you see this post yet then?

viewtopic.php?f=243&t=4514&start=20#p198635

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Inferno »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Lots of time left in the day yet for things like...........going to the tower? :lol:
Whattaya say, gang?
Ugghra isn't the guy to interview non-hostile witnesses, like lookers and families.
He can't break into Positive Steve's house and search it in broad daylight right across from the cop shop.
And the Pitchfork Tavern is another nighttime activity.
So this actually works for Ugghra.
Thoughts?

OM: How long is the hike to the tower?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#168 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You can easily find out that the tower ruins are only a few miles outside of town.

Let's say it's a 1.5 hour hike to get there. 3 hours round trip.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#169 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling would like to take a few minutes to speak with Captain Teneel before heading to the tower.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Inferno »

"Excellent. If Possible, Good Father, Please Divert Captain Teneel's Attention Away From the Front of the Militia House? I Shall Investigate the Positive Steve Residence."

Whilst Father Dowling engages Captain Teneel, Sir Ugghra will approach the Steve house from its back, using it as a shield from Teneel's eyes. Other than that, he will move directly and with purpose, with no indication of stealth, subterfuge or skullduggery.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#171 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The party on the hill at the temple sees what looks a lot like Epi in a black dress heading back up the road towards the Weary Traveler.

Orando is pointed towards Ernies mothers house.

Ugghra and Bill head south from the temple towards the Millitia House. Ugghra stomps off like a bull towards the home across the road, while the Father goes to the door of Captain Taneel.

The Captain is found peering out his opened door, looking up the road to the north, possibly watching intently as a certain someone walks away.

viewtopic.php?f=243&t=4589&p=199273#p199273

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#172 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie's home is a modest farm house just outside of town. His mother Dalia is out in the yard weeding the garden as you approach.

She "looks" up at you as you draw nearer, remembering that her son warned her that she might get a visit from strangers.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, elf

Mustering up his most charismatic smile, Orando half-bows before the Looker, studying her closely as he says:

"Greeting Mrs. Dalia, I am Orando Magnus Gallus, a friend of the Temple of Pelor, servant to her Mayor, and friend too of your son Ernie. Thank you for taking a few moments to speak with me."

Measuring her reaction and words before continuing...
When you say "looks" up at me, is that a regular look or is there something about it?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#174 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Her "look", or I could say stare, is quite similar to Miss Hendricks, the cleaning lady at the temple.

viewtopic.php?f=243&t=4515&start=20#p195514

She has dark eyes that seem to stare right through you.

Witnessing this twice now, you see a bit more into it. The "lookers" seem as though they are trapped behind their own dark gaze.

Dalia
It's Miss, thank you very much. Ernie said some folk might be stopping by. Can't say that I approve of it, or of my boy dealing with strangers for that matter. Even if they are friendly to him.

You are a servant to that bitch Mayweather? Well then, what business do you have with my boy and me?

Other than her unusual eyes, she seems completely normal to you.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, elf

"I wouldn't go as far as servant. And yes I do admit the Mayor is not the easiest to get along with. Did the town actually elect her? Was she always like that?"

"But I digress."

"I am here in the interest of the village to investigate the disappearances, and am authorized to compensate those who help,"
Orando says as he opens a pouch and tinkles some coins. "Have you known anyone personally who disappeared? Were there any related occurrences at the time - sicknesses, headaches, effects on vision?"

"I have heard rumors of townsfolk who are referred to as Lookers - forgive the term if it is derogatory, I am just repeating what was heard. Are you familiar with such?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#176 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dalia answers the pretty Elf's questions with more than a bit of sarcasm in her words.

Grognardsw wrote:Orando, elf

"I wouldn't go as far as servant. And yes I do admit the Mayor is not the easiest to get along with. Did the town actually elect her? Was she always like that?"
Ha! You should ask her that!
No, we didn't elect her. She is the town's only nobel. Someone from her family has always acted as mayor of this town. I'm not sure why we keep those old customs enacted around here, but we do.

I guess she wasn't always a bitch, in fact she used to be quite pleasant when she was younger, but now, she is all business. I've always thought it was because of her accident but, I think I'm the only one.

"Have you known anyone personally who disappeared? Were there any related occurrences at the time - sicknesses, headaches, effects on vision?"
If you ask me, which I guess you are, the whole missing people nonsense around here is just absurd. I don't know of anyone that went missing personally and I'm pretty sure that every town has their share of problems, ours is no different. Just because a few people ran off when they couldn't deal with the hard lives they made for themselves, that's no reason to give the whole town an unpleasant stigma, in my opinion anyway.

"I have heard rumors of townsfolk who are referred to as Lookers - forgive the term if it is derogatory, I am just repeating what was heard. Are you familiar with such?"
The older but still quite capable woman quickly rises to her feet and walks right up to get in Orando's face.

Look into my eyes elf! You are now getting a close up and personal shot of a "looker" or "black gazed" or whichever term the good folks of Brotherton here are calling us these days! I swear that damn priest is behind the whole name calling thing. If he wasn't so good to my boy, I would call him out on it too. Ernie told me that he says that term sometimes. It's pathetic. I don't know why my eyes look this way, they just do I guess. There is nothing in the water or other such foolishness I've heard. It just is, that's all. If I can deal with it, why can't anyone else?

As you can clearly see, I'm a normally functioning member of this town, but some folk still enjoy pointing out our minor, irrelevant differences.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, elf

"What accident did the Mayor have?"

"I'm sorry town folk unfairly stigmatize people. I have felt that prejudice myself, given my race," says Orando sympathetically. "What would Brother Tomas gain by calling such people Lookers?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#178 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dalia

The Lady was badly injured in a violent attack when she was about 16 years old. She was out in the wild with some boy when they were both attacked by a terrible flying dragon monster. The Lady was ripped to shreds and barely survived the attack. Her friend got away with only minor injuries but she never told anyone who he was.

The real oddity was that, once they got her mangled and mutilated body back home, it wasn't but two days and she was all healed up again. Strangest thing I've ever seen!

I don't think the priest has anything to gain by the name calling, I just think he's a dink!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, truthseeker

The elf nods at Dalia's words, his mind drawing possible connections. All those many years ago, who could the boy have been and why keep him a secret? Forbidden love with a young Brother Tomas, who later healed his paramour? Or perhaps Mortimer, in the same woods he later built his tower? Did one of his investigator colleagues mention rumor of an undead dragon? Perhaps the very same creature that, untamed, attacked the girl who would be mayor.

"Yes, Father Tomas may well be a dink," responds Orando, placing a few gold coins into Dalia's hand. "The pious often are. 'Do as I say, not as I do.' The hypocrites. The mayor's family - did they not have sons to take the title? Does the mayor have sisters - the old alchemist woman perhaps? Did the mayor ever marry and have children?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#180 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dalia laughs hysterically at the thought of the Mayor and old Gretta being sisters.

The Mayweathers had two children, April and Augustus. If I remember correctly, Augustus went off on some crusade after coming of age. He never returned to his family and I think that had a lot to do with his fathers untimely passing.

The Lady was kind and caring in her youth, always willing to help someone out if they needed it. Everyone loved her. But, after her father died and April had to take over, she was all business. She never made time for a husband or children in her life.

You did notice that, in your short meeting with the Mayor, she looks at least 20-30 years younger than Brother Tomas does.

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”