Chapter 2: Attack on the Goblin City

Synthalus
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

Chapter 2: Attack on the Goblin City

#1 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATIVE

With time passed and both clans creating lasting bonds of friendship, the newly formed alliance between men and dwarves must now be put to the test. Across the Forgewash river lay the hilly territory of the festering moon tribe of goblins. Lost somewhere amongst its hills is the goblin city of Korak. The dwarves and humans have devised a plan to cut the head from the snake that is the festering moon tribe and send their kind fleeing for their lives. It will not be an easy task as there is much land to traverse between the base of Sundered mountain and the city of Korak. The dwarves need time still to train the young new recruits to their army and the soldiers of Clan volsung are few, but by the time the goblin king is dead, a sizable force will sweep in and secure the city so that no goblin will ever inhabit these hills again.

The dwarves have built the Vikings of Clan Volsung a small township now Know as Volsung. They have built an armory and equipped it with many fine dwarven weapons and pieces of armor for sale or trade, a tavern owned by a dwarf named Pytr has opened up and ale flows from the mountain to Viking bellies. The men of Clan Volsung are happy with their new alliance and now have secure walls and dwarven brothers to help defend them. I have posted and image below of the new Town of Volsung located at the base of Mount Sundered. This chapter now begins with all PC's in the new Inn/Tavern along with Delwin Orcsbane of the dwarves. They are discussing the mission to kill the goblin king of the Festering moon tribe in the city of Korak to the south.
Attachments
231b46a4cd23b403338ce854790e6c55-d5oh41w.jpg
231b46a4cd23b403338ce854790e6c55-d5oh41w.jpg (259.67 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 2: Attack on the Goblin City

#2 Post by Synthalus »

DELWIN ORCSBANE

Delwin slams his empty flagon upside down onto the table and calls for another. He then glances down at the make shift campaign map situated on that same table. he points to the town of Volsung and then to the Forgewash River and says;

" It is but a two or three day ride to the river. Once there we will need to construct rafts from the forest to cross. It will take several hours to cross the river because it is wide and fast moving at this point. Once on the other side I know not how far it is to the Goblin city of Korak, I only know a vague description of its location which I have marked here. Most our scouts that were sent to get the location never returned and the two that did were sick with poison from goblin darts. They told us what they could but did not make it. As far as I can guess it will take us a tenday to find the city and complete our task. That should be enough time for my newly trained army to rendezvous with us at Korak with your men Horik, to take an secure the city. Do you have anything to add? I am up for any suggestions, I have never taken on an endeavor such as this above ground. Any advice would be welcome.
Attachments
DandD1.jpg
DandD1.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
e3fc254d8d9137aa506bd5c3572d98f6_full.jpg
e3fc254d8d9137aa506bd5c3572d98f6_full.jpg (147.7 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik looking over the map "Well your scouts were found in the direction they went. So why not take a different route? Even better we can throw them off by attacking from two fronts." looking at the map more to get a good idea of the two fronts to attack the goblins from.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Synthalus »

Current Campaign Map
Attachments
New map.png
New map.png (702.72 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik proposes the following attack "Your clan attacks them here." he draws a line in red "My clan attacks from here." he draws a second red line.
Attachments
New map.png
New map.png (703.21 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Synthalus »

DELWIN ORCSBANE

Delwin looks at Horik with admiration and then says;

" You are a bold man and this is a bold plan. I like it! I have only been able to muster an train a force of 200 dwarven soldiers. I will assign 50 dwarven soldiers to your clan as an auxiliary task force led by you and your clansmen. I will move my force of 150 dwarves to the river and set my engineers to work building pontoon boats to ferry our men across. No doubt the goblins will have forward scouts spying the river banks. we must take caution to build in the concealment of the wood line. it will take two days for my men to move to that position and another day for them to construct the pontoons. A small force could cross the river at night and scout out and map the exact location of the goblin city, would you and your best warriors join me in this mission?

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik "Do dwarves have beards? Do you really have to ask. We are vikings of course we will go with you."

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Synthalus »

Delwin Orcsbane

" Good a course of action has been settled on. We leave tomorrow morning. Until then Provision yourself and your men King Horik. The Volsung Armory is well stocked now and Pytr here can provide you with adventuring gear an iron rations for the road ahead. I will meet you outside the town walls tomorrow morning at the front of my army. I go now to Sundered Stronghold to rouse my men and set them to task. Until tomorrow.

Delwin drains his second mug of ale and slams a second empty upside down mug onto the map table. Head nods to each man at the table and then turns an leaves.

-H.P. Lovecraft

crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

Sheamus wanders over to the table, a silly, and alcohol enriched smile on his face. despite this, he juggles 5 bottle corks in a playful manner. "wellll.. i'm not of a man when it comes to combat tactics..." he stumbles, but not a cork is lost... "but.. if you wanted to.. ahh.. attack from two directions, shouldnt it BE from two directions, and not North, and slightly... not North..."

he stumbles and falls, throwing up the corks as he goes down, they come down around him, thumping and bouncing on the floor as he lays face down for a moment. "as i was saying!" his words muffled by the floor as he raises a hand, a single finger pointed up. slowly, awkwardly, drunkenly, he climes up the back of an empty chair, and leans on it heavily for support.

"since... (hiccup)... we Vulsungers... aren't slouches at making watercraft.... (hiccup).... we.. go to this...." he pokes a finger at the map, west of the mountains ware the river divides in two. "we... go this-a-way... build a little boat... then go... up? down? against water flow direction of river...." his finger slides south on the map, following the river. "bout a-day or two later, we jump out... and atack.. from the... other way.. of North.... (hiccup)..

with that, the chair somehow slides out from under him, and he goes down with a thud.
"what-cha be thinkin me brothers?" he asks, again muffled by the floor.
"shoot straight, conserve ammo, watch your buddy's back, and NEVER, cut a deal, with a Dragon." Shadowrunner's words of wisdom.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm not a big graphic designer but that was supposed to be a attack from the North and the east but I was off a bit in my editing. :P

Horik "That would be my fault I was trying to show from the north and from the east. But I'm not as coordinated while drinking as some viking jesters."

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

The rest of the night passes uneventfully as Clans Volsung and Clan Orcsbane prepare for their two prong attack on the goblin city of Korak. In the morning the PC's equip themselves from the armory before heading out side the city to meet up with Delwin and begin their journey.

Delwin Orcsbane

" If everyone is ready let the journey begin?

-H.P. Lovecraft

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Morag Mac Tharn, pict savage:
Synthalus wrote: Delwin Orcsbane
Morag the barbarian nodded silently, his sure hands calmly checking the many weapons arrayed across his taut, solid frame.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Synthalus wrote: Delwin Orcsbane

Horik "I'm am ready as ever."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Bilit Taauth

Bilit shrugs her shoulders. I am as prepared as I can be at this moment. I will wish to contact the spirits when we are closer to our destination, to see if they have any knowledge they are willing to share.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#15 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

(( if some one is willing to push my drunken form around in a weal barrel, then yup, ready to go! ))
"shoot straight, conserve ammo, watch your buddy's back, and NEVER, cut a deal, with a Dragon." Shadowrunner's words of wisdom.

zero4306
Strider
Strider

#16 Post by zero4306 »

I will pray to Anu for a fortuitous expedition, then I will be ready.
"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you," - Friedrich Nietzche

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Dogma »

Torvald, Northman Berserker

Torvald will spend some more time carousing but will them be ready to go in the morning.

Can Torvald get some btter armor from the Armory...maybe upgrade to at least some chainmail?

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Synthalus »

the dwarves have stocked the armory with scale mail and chain mail armor your choice, it's free to take. They have stocked you armory with enough of each type of armor to outfit an armed force of 125 men.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Inferno »

Morag Mac Tharn, pict savage:

Morag doesn't take the generous dwarven gift of the bulky metal armor, preferring his own animal skins.

He also doesn't spend much time in the village of Volsung, let alone the dwarf stronghold, preferring to be closer to nature, often scouting on long distance patrol.

The savage wildman won't ever be domesticated.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

crazy ski 1701
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by crazy ski 1701 »

Sheamus / jester.

early that morn, Sheamus slips into the armory and pick out a set of studded leather armor. after donning it, he starts twisting and crouching, stretching out the armor to break it into his frame. satisfied, he leaves the little town to fill up his pouch with smooth stones for his sling, before returning for tail end of breakfast.

one of the clansmen asks about sleeping in, and having too much to drink.
"eye... seems i cant quite drink as much as ye... with your extra long legs, and extra wide bellies.." he shoots back while squinting... "and dont yell so loud.. ye trying to wake the dead?"

he gets his meal and joins up with the party.

Return to “Viking Sand Box Adventure (1e)”