Chapter 2: Attack on the Goblin City

Synthalus
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 2: Attack on the Goblin City

#41 Post by Scott308 »

Bilit Atlantean Witch

Bilit will make sure she is behind the rest of the party so that none of them can see her, but the hobgoblins can. Anyone that can see her, suddenly finds her to be stunningly attractive. Bilit casts Stunning Allure, which affects 2d6 HD of creatures that can see her, starting with the closest. The hobgoblins will save at -5 (assuming they are all male).

Meanwhile, the Grimalkin attacks again.
Grimalkin: [1d20] = 11; Damage:[1d8] = 6

If it hits, it is able to use its Blood Drain ability.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

zero4306
Strider
Strider

#42 Post by zero4306 »

Fenris draws Whelm, and in the following turn closes in on the closed hobgoblin and strikes him.

To hit: [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20, damage with warhammer: [2d4+3] = 7+3 = 10
"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you," - Friedrich Nietzche

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Inferno »

Morag Mac Tharn, pict savage:

Morag swiftly silently backs up further, moving toward his left to remain beyond the reach of his foes. If he can enter the woods and still see Torvald, he will. Otherwise he will remain at the treeline.

Then the stone-age primitive quickly pulled another flint-headed arrow from his quiver, nocked it, pulled the taut bowstrong back to his unblinking eye, and loosed the arrow at one of the creatures that had the berserker surrounded! Morag rapidly sent a second arrow in after it.

Both arrows target the hobgoblin fighting Torvald that has his back to Morag. So, +4 to hit?
If the first arrow kills him, then Morag will fire on another hobgoblin fighting Torvald, attacking that monster's side.
If the first arrow doesn't kill its target, then Morag will fire twice at the first target. Thanks.

Bow and Arrow: [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9, Damage: [1d6] = 4
Bow and Arrow: [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22, Damage: [1d6] = 2
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

Bilit's Grimalkin Bites deeply into the thigh of one of the Hobgobs. It screams out in pain and try's vainly to brush the shadow beast away. Morag drops two arrows into the back of one of the Hobgobs attacking his friend Torvald. The Hobgoblin staggers a bit and collapses to the ground. (Inferno=First kill, take a XP bonus of 100 points.). Fenris closes with one of the hobgobs that advanced on the rear party and smashes him so hard he caves in the humanoids chest. the hobgoblin slumps to the ground dead and broken. Horik charges the other advancing hobgoblin and swing's Fate's Promise with precision, the hobgoblins decapitated corpse falls to the ground and a pool of blood begins to form under it. Three hobgoblins remain and have their backs turned to Bilit's gaze magic. They continue to attack Torvald unaware that half of their squad has already fallen.

Hobgoblins Attacking Torvald

Hobgoblin 1 / Attack Roll [1d20] = 9 = Miss
Hobgoblin 2 / Attack Roll [1d20] = 5 = Miss
Hobgoblin 3 / Attack Roll [1d20] = 2 = Miss

Delwin Orcsbane

Attacks Hobgoblin 3 / Attack Roll [1d20] = 10 = Hit
Damage Roll [1d4] = 4
Attachments
Hobgoblin Attack 3.png
Hobgoblin Attack 3.png (32.8 KiB) Viewed 982 times
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#45 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Inferno »

At home in the woods, the primitive barbarian raced forward, sprinting parallel to the road, leaping over logs and brush like a wild buck.

Once he spied the hobgoblin on Torvald's left, he stopped, set himself and drew down upon the creature's back with two more flint-headed arrows.
The below rolls don't include a +4 bonus for attacking the hobgoblin's back. Thanks.
Bow and Arrow: [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11, Damage: [1d6] = 6
Bow and Arrow: [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4, Damage: [1d6] = 2

And thanks for the generous xp award, Synth. :)
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#47 Post by Scott308 »

Bilit, Atlantean Witch

At this point, Bilit doesn't have much she can do to assist, so she will remain back, away from the combat. The grimalkin, however, remains attached to the hobgoblin it bit and sucks blood from the humanoid.
Grimalkin Blood Drain: [1d8] = 6

Damage is automatic in melee rounds after a successful attack.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Dogma »

Torvald, Northman Berserker

Torvald continues to hack at the surrounding hobgoblins with Weasel. He feels his rage builind inside, but does his best to control it as now is not the time to unleash it.

Bastard Sword : to hit [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13, damage [2d4+2] = 5+2 = 7

zero4306
Strider
Strider

#49 Post by zero4306 »

Fenris moves toward the nearest hobgoblin and casts hold on it (since I am focusing it on one target, said target gets a -2 on his save vs spell).
"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you," - Friedrich Nietzche

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Synthalus »

Narrator

And then the battle was over. Almost as soon as it began, all Hobgoblins lay dead save one that was magically held by the Cleric Fenris's spell. Closer inspection of the Hobgoblins and their belongings will yield 35SP, (6) Short Swords, A crude map the hill lands south of the river Forgewash, and small crude mirror for signaling. The Goblin City can be seen from the edge of the small wooded glad in the distance. It is almost night time and the witch Bilit wishes to consult the spirits. Bilit begins to make preparation's to summon the spirits of this land. She urges all party members to vacate the area or else they will anger these spirits.
Attachments
1 Days Travel.png
1 Days Travel.png (27.02 KiB) Viewed 956 times

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#51 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik "Well fought my friends. Onward to more glory!" he wipes his sword off on a dead hobgoblin and continues onward letting the others do what they wish of that which was found on the dead enemies.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#52 Post by Scott308 »

Bilit, Atlantean Witch

The witch wanders the area, seeking a suitable place to contact spirits. She eventually settles on a spot, pointing to the ground and saying, Here. I will make the fire here. I need help gathering wood to build a fire, green or dry makes no difference. Fire aids in attracting spirits to this location so that I may speak with them. After a sufficient pile of wood has been built, it is dark out. Bilit whispers a word of power and a fire-spirit appears at her fingertips. She touches the wood and the spirit jumps to the wood pile, setting it ablaze. She then reaches into her backpack and removes several jars of various pigments and places them on the ground, before turning to the rest of the party.

Spirits are not to be trifled with unless you have had training and take proper precautions. Even then, there may still be danger. For your safety and mine, I ask you to back away and give me space. Do not approach, no matter what you see, no matter what you hear. If you disrupt the ceremony, you may anger the spirits. When everyone has backed away far enough for her liking, she begins removing her clothes. When naked, she takes the pigments and paints colorful lines and patterns upon her skin. When finished, she raises her arms to the sky and begins swaying, while chanting in a tongue that sounds Atlantean, but an archaic form.
O powerful spirits, hear my supplication. I come here seeking aid from the ancestors. Will anyone deign to speak with me?

zero4306
Strider
Strider

#53 Post by zero4306 »

Fenris

To Horik: My king, since the witch is busy speaking with spirits, why not question our new "guest" about the keep, and any other tidbit of information he is just anxious to give us?

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik "Very well we give her time to do her ritual and while we wait we question the guest. Come lets go seek some answers." Horik smiles.

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

As Bilit, Atlantean Witch, attempts to summon the spirits to her aid something unexpected happens. A giant non-corporeal head shimmers in front of her and comes into existence as a ghostly form. The face on this head is wicked and the eyes burn with the fire of hatred and chaos. Bilit, Atlantean Witch stares into the face of Maglubiyet, High god of the goblins!

Maglubiyet stares at her and says in a raspy child-like voice;

"You who would summon spirits in my domain, know that I see you. I see all of you. You will not succeed in taking my city from me. You are far to weak to defeat my champion. I will make you pay for your arrogance against my kin! "

The form of the Goblin God explodes in a cloud of spark's. In its place stands a pool of human blood. From this pool black tendrils begin to emerge from its depths. The pool is roughly 10'x10' in diameter. Bilit, Atlantean Witch begins to feel very uneasy about this pool and quickly moves away from it. Just in time, in fact as the tendrils whip and slap at the very spot she was just sitting.

The held hobgoblin vanishes before Horik and fenris's eyes in a flash of darkness and blood curdling screams. only burn ashes an a few wisps of smoke remain where he stood.
Attachments
Maglubiyet.gif
Maglubiyet.gif (26.15 KiB) Viewed 934 times

-H.P. Lovecraft

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Dogma »

Torvald, Human Berserker

Torvald was already uneasy with the witch's attempt to contact the spirits. These new develpments only solidified his distrust of meddling with the spirit world.

"By the Hells, woman!"he exclaimed , "This is what happens when you meddle it the affairs of the spirit realm. The living have no place in their realm!" The normally stolid warrior seems shaken by the thrashing tenticles sprouting from the blood-soaked ground. Ground that just moments before had been normal dirt and stone.

If I read the narrator post, right the tenticles are still there...just the goblin dissappeared, correct?

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Synthalus »

That is correct Dogma. The tendrils seem to be waving around in no particular fashion. Still nobody wants to get close to them to find out what happens. The tendrils are roughly 15' long and black as pitch. The pool of blood the emerge from seems to be bubbling an one could almost think that the tendrils are part of something bigger trying to get thru to this world, but unable to from the small size of the pool. In all respects it is a very creepy and unsettling sight.

-H.P. Lovecraft

zero4306
Strider
Strider

#58 Post by zero4306 »

Upon that happening, My king, I humbly request to gather the weapons and armor we salvaged from the squad of hobgoblins so I may make an offering to the gods for favor/protection, especially after this just happened.

GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik "Again very well. I've no use for the inferior weapons of the enemy do as you wish with them as I said before." he waves off as he sits and rests after the battle.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Inferno »

The primitive barbarian had only fear and loathing for sorcery. At the sight of the writhing tentacles attempting to enter this world via a pool of sacrificial blood, Morag swallowed his terror and grabbed the naked witch by the upper arm and guided her to a safer distance. Then he grunted in anger and dread, "Witch, how do we close the door to the spirit world?"
DM:

Player: