Action Thread 1

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 1

#1 Post by rredmond »

Reminder that normally only one action post per turn will go in here. But for now, we'll let you all talk it out in this thread. After Thursday all the strategizing can go in the Strategy Thread.
You all received your marching orders from your various kings, elders, rulers, etc. You are brought together in the Leaders Council and told the story of what's going on and have been given the map that the spies have guesstimated pretty good for you. I wasn't gettin' too close, one of them murmurs. Though you have no gold, the plan is to take today to equip yourselves. You can have any ordinary items you need. You will all have horses and the spies will lead you right to a cave that's hidden from the giants. It's but an hour from the Steading but situated so it's hidden from the giants. The spies, as you head there, tell stories of hiding there and not being found by giants. If you are careful, you can get in and outta that cave without them ever seeing ya. Plus there's plenty of room to store provisions, spell books, whatever is needed there. Horses too if you want, they'd have to duck their heads at the opening, but then the cave opens up inside so they can stand fine. Of course, as long as you tie them up in the cave so they don't go wandering.

The leaders have a deadline and know you must leave the next day. Which gives you only today to do what needs doing. Then there's a day's ride to the Steading. You should arrive at dusk. After the big muckity muck meeting, the spies let you know that it's good you'll be arriving at dusk. The giants are more active during the day. They are usually pretty good about guarding at night, but they generally wind down during the evening hours.

The travel goes uneventfully (nothing is scarier than raiding hill giants) and the spies bring you to the cave, which is situated near the Steading. As they set you up and unload the horses for you, you hear shouts coming from the Steading. Arnar swears it's an old drinking song... sung poorly in hill giantish. The group of spies shakes their heads and quickens their pace to get out. They remind you that there are two guards generally stationed right outside the Main Entrance (near the tower) and wish you good luck.

I know I've jumped ahead a bit. We still have to work out magic packs, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Please ensure all equipment is set, I'll start copying down character sheets. We'll start sussing out magic packs. But put down what you'd like to be doing before you leave and upon arrival to the cave. Thursday, you leave the cave and start your mission, however you decide. You have promises of fealty to keep!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 1

#2 Post by rredmond »

Looks like everyone's equipment (except one of you) is a go. I'm waiting on a return PM from Stirling. For right now he's out "tracking" around in the high grass. Not sure if he'll return :)
I've squared away magic packs in PMs. If there are any other needs, or questions, please let me know.
You have everything you could need in the cave. But once you head to the Steading, whatever is on your equipment list is what you have. I won't finalize this type of stuff until that point.

Watching the retreating group of spies, and hearing the drinking song (at dusk, from a distance, and in giantish... it makes the song sound real eerie) you all get a sudden chill. It's about 6pm, starting to get dark. The air is chill and damp and you can see the Steading. You can get there quickly, and not in the open, in less than an hour on foot. Bending over in the high grass (Herzog and Arnor don't even really have to bend) you won't even be seen until yards away from the front doors.

You all start to plan how you will get in...
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

6:10pm

The party at the Steading seems, to dwarven ears, to just be getting under way. There's smoke running out of the top of the roof, but all outside seems quiet.

You can see the Steading in the distance, you have a good view of the road leading to the entrance and the watch tower. You can't see the two guards that are supposed to be there, but the group could likely sneak right up to a couple yards of the entrance without (except for major mishap) being seen by those guards posted outside the entrance. Depending on the guard or guards in that tower though... it's uncertain how they are keeping a watch on the grounds outside. It may be that they won't see you, but it may be that they can.

You spend about 10 minutes sizing each other up. You know each other at least by legend, and some of you have likely worked together before:

Ethwig, a high priest known to be a man of honor and to be unafraid to wield his magical mace, though never known to go anywhere without the protection of his magical plate mail!

Herzog, a gnome who eschewed the illusory arts for those more practical. He's been known to drink even some dwarves under the table and is always spoiling for a fight with anything bigger than him... which is really most things. Though a warrior of some reknown, he is known to wield a magic spear "bigger than he is!" with deadly intent, he is also rumored to be light on his feet and mayhap a practitioner of the sneakier arts.

Elam, a (fallen?) cleric who also engages in the thiefly arts. Rumored to have a deadly staff, and several tricks up his sleeve. Elam is also one who has spent time studying Hill Giants and knows their language.

Phaeus, a Ranger. Once he heard that the job involved giant killin', he joined with open arms and sharpened sword!

Jack, but a boy, but his eyes, though they twinkle with mischief, seem older than his apparent years. He enjoyed the ride to the Steading bonding with horse and trees on the way. He seems spritely in build and in energy... and if you aren't mistaken, actually has a few sprites hanging out with him! Though he has been sent from a lesser known (and people were surprised the king was able to send anyone) king, he is known to have tricks, and spells, and a wand at the ready.

Arnar, the sole dwarven warrior with a reputation for "getting the job done" where battle is concerned. He leads by example, and from the front and don't get yourself killed keeping up with him. Despite being known to disappear in the wink of an eye, or leap tall trolls in a single bound, he is most envied (by dwarves in particular) for his wonderful magic hammer, that always returns to him when it is thrown!

Nessa, the only woman of this crew, and a monk to boot. Though she seems uncomfortable with her javelins she keeps adjusting on her back (they seem a, possibly unwelcome, new gift) she is know for her hand-to-hand abilities, and her magic spear and crossbow. She seems to play a bit with the two rings she wears (also seeming out of place, as she wears no other jewelry) but seems comfortable in the cloak and boots, in which several other elf-friends in the group are adorned.

Though the party continues, there doesn't seem to be anything else roaming the area. Though the high grasses, and party noise can be hiding other things as well as it's hiding you.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Arnar suddenly disappears with a whisper, though nobody is able to make out what he said.

"So what's the plan, then?" an incorporeal voice whispers to the rest of the group. "Knock on the front door? Or look for a back one? Or we could MAKE a back one..."

Somehow, its easy to tell the last sentence was spoken through a grin.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

Ethwig jumps slightly at the now disembodied voice, then realizes it's the dwarf who's suddenly gone invisible. Ethwig says Let's not get too bogged down with plans here... from what we can tell so far, we should be able to approach under cover of night fairly easily. Maybe Arnar can scout ahead a bit. He looks in the general direction of where he thinks Arnar is standing.

Ron, is there any weather? Fog? Rain? or is it clear?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Nobody sees Arnar shrug, with just a rustle of chain undermail clinking quietly.

Then he realizes nobody can see him shrug and adds, "Likely there's some here more sneaky than me. I cain't be seen, but I start movin' around all sneaky like and you'll know where I am."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy magic-user/druid:

Hi Ron. Back from vacation. I missed last turn while I was away. If any or all of these actions could have happened last turn, or on the walk from the cave to the steading, then great (Jack moves through the woods much faster than his new friends, and would've had time to kill waiting for them to catch up). Thanks!

Jack was happy to be in the forest again. The ancient youth smiled, crouched down and four sprites suddenly appeared before him. "Thistle, Holly, Plum and Guildenstern, please scout the giants' steading and fast. Let us know what’s going on and how we can most easily enter it. Now off with you my friends and be lively!”

Jack giggled and, while he waited for their report, quietly cast spells as his faerie family had taught him.
Animal Summoning I and Call Woodland Beings to bring allies to this battle. Jack hoped for Giant Eagles, Grizzly Bears and a Wolf Pack, in that order.

Then he cast Animal Friendship and Speak with Animals upon a local bird (a thrush, a robin or an owl): "Dear noble friend, we're here to end the plague of these giants, and avenge the lost faerie realm! Yes, there are humans with me. See! They're not all bad! Just most of them.
"You've been living in the giants' shadow for some time now. What can you tell us about them that can aid our cause? How can we safely enter? Where is their dining hall? Do dangers lurk in this tall grass between us and the door? Where are their guards posted on this map? What else should we know to be victorious against these dull, brutal, unimaginative killjoys?"

The child with the upturned nose and the wise eyes will quietly share all the answers with his companions.
He turned back to his new avian ally and said, "Thank you. Now, please go and spread the word. Any woodland creatures that would see an end to the giants should quickly and quietly rally now. Go! Sing the news!"

By then, the sprites should have their report ready. Armed with that information, and these new allies, the company could quickly decide how best to invade the giants' stronghold.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam Xav glances around at all the visible party members and says, "Why don't we wait until the middle of the night and approach the Steading under the cover of darkness? With a blessing from Rudd*, I can approach silently and attempt to ascertain the best way to enter the Giant's lair. Though, I must confess....if there is a back way or a means to create out own entrance; I would think that would be our best course. What say you all?"

Then he noticed the sudden influx of summoned beings and the boy-ancient wizard working his magic and finished with a lame; "Or...we could just wait to hear from them"; with a grin.

OOC: *Rudd is an old Greyhawk God of Thieves, Adventurers and Skill....I thought it fitting, but if that's not cool redmond, let me know

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#9 Post by Gynsburghe »

Herzog, Gnome Fighter/Thief

Herzog fidgets, checks the edge of all weapons methodically, and waits for the moment of blood letting... watching the sun set slowly...

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Nuke66 »

Nessa watches the druid with interest and listens in on his conversation with the animals that show up to converse with the boy.

As the plans develop, the monk ponders the options. Attack at night into the full, albeit lax defenses, or wait until daylight when they split the forces.

OOC: I finalized inventory, just sayin'

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

max_vale wrote:OOC: *Rudd is an old Greyhawk God of Thieves, Adventurers and Skill....I thought it fitting, but if that's not cool redmond, let me know
Very cool! I dig Greyhawk, and want to place this in Greyhawk, but I don't have the knowledge to be picayune about it. However folks want to bring Greyhawk into play is fine by me. Plus I like learning more about it.
Nuke66 wrote:OOC: I finalized inventory, just sayin'
Thanks! I'll admit, I haven't started copying Character Sheets to my files yet... likely be done sometime this weekend, so whoever wants to rush to add something, please do! Thanks.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

6:20pm

Jack starts his actions at 6pm when you arrived, but it takes this long to complete them all.

It is damp and dreary out. A chill is in the air, even though it isn't winter. Though it isn't raining, it looks like the ground has had a good soak in the past couple days. The Steading is right at the end of some hills that are the very beginnings of foothills for distant mountains. From what you can tell, and from the spies, you know this isn't an area that gets many sunny days, it rains a lot.

The dwarf disappears, and the gnome gets restless, but everyone watches as the youngest of the party sends off his sprites, then murmurs mystical words and carves runes in the air. Flinging pine cones and other plant material about. After completing his first spell, he looks to the west and nods. He quickly casts again, and 3 sprites (very much resembling the other sprites) pop into existence. Greeting them, Jack starts to scan the skies. He seems worried, but is able to cast yet another spell as a lone owl comes flitting by. The owl alights and perches on Jack's arm, then Jack casts his last spell, as he appears to talk with the owl.

At this point the sprites come back and Jack speaks with them as well. Though it's a tense 20 minutes, the young caster seems to be accomplishing much!

Okey doke, PM to Inferno
If anyone wants to do anything else, you are move than welcome!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Inferno »

Jack grinned impishly and then quietly, carefully and faithfully translated from owlish and spritish for the benefit of the group, like he was playing a memory game at a party:
The owl said: The giant human types do not bother me, except that they scare most of the hunt from the area. All the stomping around and all their pig human slaves. I don't know about entering the Steading, for I only fly over it. I can tell you to stay away from the open area compound they have... there are wolves in there, a whole pack, bigger and meaner than any I've seen in my younger days. They hunt with the giants, and have barred stockade gates to the north and east. I know naught of guards... I stay away from the Steading as much as I can. But I can tell you that there is nothing, good or evil, in the grasses between here and the Steading. Nothing big enough for me to eat or that can eat me..

The sprites confirmed the owl's statements about the grasses being safe, and that there are dire wolves in the compound (they spit at this, for these are evil wolves) they all agree there are more than a dozen wolves, but disagree whether there are 13, 14, or 15. The sprites figure the best way for the party to enter is the unguarded main entrance by the lookout tower. It's the only other way in besides the stockade fence. When questioned they told me that there are definitely no guards there right now, even though we were told there were two.
When he was done reciting, Jack beamed at his good memory. Then he asked Artemis the owl and the sprites, "How many big dumb stupid giants are there in all?
"Pig human slaves? Are those also called smelly orcs?"

Jack will happily translate any questions the party has. This was fun!

Ron, have the bears arrived? Thanks. :)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

Inferno wrote:Jack in the Green, boy magic-user/druid:

When he was done reciting, Jack beamed at his good memory. Then he asked Artemis the owl and the sprites, "How many big dumb stupid giants are there in all?
"Pig human slaves? Are those also called smelly orcs?"
The sprites didn't see any giants whatsoever, or orcs, just the dire wolves.
As far as you can tell from the owl, those are orcs of which it speaks.
JitG wrote:Ron, have the bears arrived? Thanks. :)
As you look to the west, you and your comrades see two black bears loping on over from the hills and through the grasses. They are moving fast and should be here in about 5 minutes.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam smiles at the sprites and the owl, but his grin falters a bit at the sight of the large bears running towards them. Glancing over at the boy-ancient wizard, he hopes he's truly in command of the animals.

Turning back to the situation at hand; he says; "Well, I'm good with either approaching under cover of darkness or in the morning when the numbers are fewer. Another thought to keep in mind is that we might be well served by using any means we have to draw some of them to ground of our choosing for ambushes and the like. Though, those dire wolves will certainly be a new factor to consider.....we can use Silence and invisibility to our advantage; but I don't know of a way to mask our scents. Thoughts?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

rredmond wrote:The sprites didn't see any giants whatsoever, or orcs, just the dire wolves.
As far as you can tell from the owl, those are orcs of which it speaks.
Thanks. Does Artemis the Owl know how many big dumb stupid giants there are in all? :)

Jack asked the owl and the sprites: "Do you know of any nearby woodland creatures that would welcome the overthrow of the giants, that could aid our cause?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Inferno »

Inferno wrote: ...he asked Artemis the owl and the sprites, "Do you know how many big dumb stupid giants are there in all?"
"Do you know of any nearby woodland creatures that would welcome the overthrow of the giants, that could aid our cause?"
Jack continued translating answers for the big folk. "Rats! No on both counts," he scowled with a pout.

Jack instantly brightened and asked the owl and the sprites: "Can you place the dining area on this map? It's where all that horrible singing is coming from."

Then the ancient child gleefully said to the company: "I'm for entering soon, before they finish dinner. Shall we enter through the oddly-unmanned main entrance, one of the two gates that lead to the warg-filled courtyard, or make our own entrance by warping the wooden wall and if so where?"
Map here, for ease of use: viewtopic.php?p=175563#p175563

Ron, how long before sunset please? Thanks!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Inferno wrote: Jack instantly brightened and asked the owl and the sprites: "Can you place the dining area on this map? It's where all that horrible singing is coming from."
We haven't been in the Steading, so we don't know, they answer sadly, but there's bunches of smoke coming out of the roof in the center of the main building area behind the guard tower area.
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (1016.05 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Smoke pouring out of a smallish (10' diameter) hole in the highest point of the roof. The black highlighted by the red is where this is.
Inferno wrote:Ron, how long before sunset please? Thanks!
The sun is currently setting. Another 20 minutes or so, it'll be gone.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

"Don't you all think it odd that there are no guards? I say we get someone up in that guard tower to see what they can find out. Might be someone tipped them off; might be they know we's comin,"the ethereal Dwarven voice says gruffly.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green, boy magic-user/wizard:

Jack joyously greeted the great black bears, Ursa and Beorn, like they were pets. He rubbed their fur roughly and asked, "Who's a good boy?! Who's a good girl?!"
Alethan wrote:"Don't you all think it odd that there are no guards? I say we get someone up in that guard tower to see what they can find out. Might be someone tipped them off; might be they know we's comin,"the ethereal Dwarven voice says gruffly.
Jack wrinkled his freckled brow as he thought that the sprites had just been in the guard tower. But he was happy for any excuse to get nearer to the steading before dinner time ended.
"I'll go!" he blurted out.

"Follow me!" he giggled to the seven sprites.
"Watch over us," he smiled to Artemis the owl.
"Wait here," he hugged Beorn and Ursa and laid out some food for them. "I'll be right back!"

"Do any of you want to come too?" he asked the grownups.

Jack polymorphed into a sparrow and flew to the roof of the guard tower with seven invisible sprites!
DM:

Player: