Action Thread 1

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 1

#61 Post by ToniXX »

Ethwig holds position in the marching order and waits to hear/see what is happening with the ogres.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by max_vale »

Elam will for-go the Silence spell option for now and keep his sling with bullet ready and keep his position in the line-up; ready to spring into action if needed and send a missile towards the farthest Ogre foe if combat erupts....

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid/magic-user:

Under his Elven Cloak's hood, Jack's hand barely covered his grin. Playing hide and seek with ogres was fun!

The ancient youth breathlessly waited with his friends in giddy anticipation of what would happen next!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by rredmond »

7:40pm
In the Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief.

PM's resolved methinks. Took me a while. Got caught for Jury Duty yesterday (still on call this week) and they ain't kidding about no cell phones or laptops!

The party moves to the bottom of the stairs. The dwarf stops the party, noticing the ranger hiding in the cloaks and coats of giants. The ranger signals that there are three ogres and that they have moved to the east. Noting that there are cooking smells apparent after the door opens (and is now closed) he signals that the northwestern door is the one to enter. The ogres don't seem to be leaving, if anything they appear to be moving closer to the slumbering giants. So the ranger signals to the dwarf, and the rest of the party to continue out of the stairwell. The ogres are definitely here to do something with the giants, and don't turn around or notice the ranger, or anything behind them at this point.

Elam prepares a sling bullet, as the rest of the party starts to prepare to leave cover.

Marching Order: (Phaeus is against the western wall, facing east) The stairs are wide enough to go two by two. The party is at the bottom of the steps and noted on the map.
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
Immediate vicinity: Tower - one dead hill giant
Main Entrance Room - two sleeping hill giants
---------------- three ogres are headed east toward the sleeping giants.

On the map above - Giants are all marked by black X's, the party is in red P, Ogres are noted by green O's

Actions by Thursday please.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Inferno »

Jack pulled down the hood of his Elven Cloak and hand-signaled the Sprites to wait here and keep quiet, with a finger laid vertically across his mischievous lips, and his other little hand out to show his open palm.

If everyone else was advancing to attack the Ogres from behind, Jack would hand-signal the party that he was focusing on the right-most Ogre.
Then Jack pulled his hood up and silently sneaked around the corner in his Elven Boots and cast Charm Monster upon that Ogre just as the faerie folk had taught him! If the magic spell succeeded, Jack roughly growled, "Close yer eyes and cover yer ears!" in his best imitation of a big dumb smelly giant, first in Hill Giant-ish and then in Common.
Then he whispered, "Now," to Elam to release his Silenced sling stone.

If the party didn't advance to attack, Jack would wait quietly on the titanic stairs, giddy with eager anticipation at the fun that was about to begin.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

At the signal, Arnar throws his hammer at the left-most ogre.

Hammer, Thrown, vs. Giant-types [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4 Damage [3d4+3] = 9+3 = 12

*sigh*
Not this already...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam will have attempted to find the best hiding place he could (Hide in Shadows roll Mr. DM); well away from his companions, and will wait for Jack's signal to cast a Silence spell upon a sling bullet. He will then keep the bullet in his left hand and then do his best to move quietly behind the Ogres with his club in his right hand. (Not sure if a Move Silently roll is needed with a Silence enchanted bullet on his person; but if so, please make the roll!)

OOC: The basic plan is to get behind one of the NON-Charmed Ogres and attempt a Backstab with the Club; if feasible. One Silence Spell has been removed from my character sheet.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by rredmond »

Sorry to be off schedule again, but I shall update tomorrow morning!
Thanks everyone!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Inferno »

No problem! It'll give us all time to post IC. :)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#71 Post by ToniXX »

Ethwig will wait to see the outcome of the actions by the others in his party. He grips his mace tight and is ready to spring forth and attack if necessary.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#72 Post by Gynsburghe »

Herzog

Spear at the ready... holding to the edge of the area, nearest shadows...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Inferno »

Inferno wrote:Jack, boy druid/magic-user:
If everyone else was advancing to attack the Ogres from behind, Jack would hand-signal the party that he was focusing on the right-most Ogre.
Ok. Even though only half the party seems to be ambushing the Ogres, Jack will still go ahead with his Charm actions as stated.
...Just to be clear. :)
Thanks!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

7:42pm
In the Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief.

Moving forward, apologies for the lateness.

Elam moves out of the stairway, and quietly over to the northern portion of the room, passing the ranger and hugging the wall shadows. He starts quietly casting his spell, the magical incantations being covered by the noise of the party which seems almost in the next room.
Nessa prepares her crossbow for firing.
Ethwig prepares his mace.
Herzog edges out and gets his spear ready.
Jack meanwhile sneaks around the corner of the stairs, positions himself to cast the spell, quietly intoning the words and feeling the magic leave him toward the rightmost (rearmost) ogre. The ogres stiffens and ([1d20] = 12 Save fails) though Jack doesn't know this yet or not, but pretty sure the spell succeeded he intones in Hill Giant, and then in Common "Close yer eyes and cover yer ears!" All three ogres then grunt in confusion and start to turn around. The rearmost ogre (now noted in Blue) smiling in Jack's general vicinity, in an almost uncomfortable manner, as ogres don't smile much. His eyes searching out his dear friend Jack.
As they turn around to see who is speaking, Arnar jumps out of the stairwell to throw his hammer, and Elam moves forward in the shadows. The magical hammer hurls towards its opponents, but unfortunately they are turning as it flies, and it whips around them, returning to it's dwarven master.
The ogres turn around, still confused and asking each other questions in ogrish. Their glances at about the 10-12 foot mark, slowly lower to see but the lone dwarf standing there retrieving his hammer. Two of them smile, and growl, cracking their knuckles and moving forward. The third staying behind, searching imploringly, with his eyes, the area around where he thinks a good friend may be standing.

I need one person to roll initiative and everyone to post their actions with their rolls for those actions.
Elam can be in Silence range of the ogres, easily, next round.
Marching Order: Below is the standard MO, but the map shows about where everyone is.
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
Immediate vicinity: Tower - one dead hill giant
Main Entrance Room - two sleeping hill giants
---------------- three ogres are headed west toward the party.

On the map above - Giants are all marked by black X's, the party is in red P, Ogres are noted by green O's except for the charmed ogre who is blue.

Actions by Tuesday morn please.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by max_vale »

Elam Xav, Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam will keep his Silenced bullet on his person, slipping it into a belt pouch and wait for the two Ogres to pass his position, when he will leap out with his Club for a Backstab attack against the closest one while holding his enchanted Staff in his off hand….

OOC: Did that make sense? Basically, wait until they're in melee range and then move in for a Backstab attack with the Club…..I just mentioned the Staff in the off hand, as I'm planning on dropping the club after the first attack and then using the Staff.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by rredmond »

Makes total sense. Thanks.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Stirling »

"shit" Phaeus mouths silently, (he expected us to sneak by the ogres and into the kitchen smelling rooms). Seeing combat start and not wanting to let the ogres either alert other guards dining in the next room or awaken two giants, Phaeus will launch himself at the ogre nearest to the double doors. He attempts to slice him in two and attacks twice this round. Hoping the surprise leap from the stuffy cloak pegs will aid him he attacks with his serrated edged blade.

1st attack: to hit 11, damage 21

2nd attack: to hit 22 (maximum critical hit!) damage 14.

(rolls on the forum)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Inferno »

Nearly silent and invisible in his Cloak and Boots, Jack and his Sprite contingent hugged the wall and crept forward 30 feet, made a sharp right turn at the corner, continued another 30 feet, and turned around.

When the two uncharmed Ogres advanced on the dwarf, they would pass out of view of Jack, and vice versa. Then Jack took off his hood and whispered, "Over here!" to his new, charmed friend. Jack put a finger over his lips, said "Shh!" and waved him over with a big friendly smile.

Jack wanted to keep this Ogre from seeing the bloody fate of his fellow Ogres. The Silence spell would keep him from hearing it. To distract his new friend, Jack produced a copy of the spy map, and asked the Ogre to help him get to work filling in the blanks, please. "Hullo, my friend! What's your name? You're really good at hide and seek! Let's play again, but first I need to know more about where we're playing. Where are we on this map? What's over here? Where do your friends live? Who are they? Where are they now?..." Jack would play this fun trick until he could fill in the map.
If Jack's not carrying the spy map, he'll draw in the dirt. Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#80 Post by Gynsburghe »

Herzog steps out of the shadows and falls into line with the other combatants.

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”