Action Thread 1

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 1

#81 Post by rredmond »

Sorry guys, I'm really, really sick. I hope to be able to update the game tomorrow morning. Pretty much been asleep all day, and got up about an hour or two ago, and haven't made it out of bed. :(
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Inferno »

No worries. Feel better.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#83 Post by Gynsburghe »

Get better, Ron!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#84 Post by ToniXX »

Ethwig leaps from the stairs and attacks the ogre nearest the double doors:

to hit [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 damage vs large [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 mace

Having not swung his mace at any opponents for some time, he misses wildly!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by Alethan »

Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by rredmond »

7:42pm
Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief w/the Ogres.
Round 1

Thanks for the well wishes guys, it's still hanging on, and work isn't letting up... sigh. But let's do press on!

The ogres close and the party attacks!

As the ogres move forward they hit the area of Silence and pause, confused, unable to hear or talk to each other.

Elam staying in the shadows, awaits the passing of the ogres. Holding his staff in his off-hand, he prepares to backstab with his club, while his stone of silence sits in his pocket. They are walking past you, don't seem to notice you. You should be able to back stab the next round, Round 2.

Her crossbow ready, Nessa takes the shot! Unfortunately the monk's shot goes wide, sailing between the advancing ogres, clattering noiselessly on the floor.

The ranger didn't expect his party to go on the offensive so quick. And charges forward to attack the creature nearest the double doors, in case he thinks to go that way. For Arnar and Phaeus, the way I rule it, is that you get your extra attack in the odd numbered rounds. So this being round 1, and you being in melee distance, you both can attack twice. The next round, Round 2, you each can attack once. Multiple attacks come at the beginning and at the end of the round. The Ranger's first attack hits! He slams his glowing longsword into the ogre, causing a large gauge in the creatures side, and copious amounts of blood pouring down the creature. It's staggered, but presses the attack!

Arnar adds to the attack, with a strike to the ogres upper leg, striking it with his hammer hard!

Jack sneaks around the corner to speak to his new friend. The ogre seems to understand "shh" and comes when beckoned. Unfortunately the ogre and Jack can't understand each other further. It seems the ogre doesn't understand hill giant... or any of the other languages that Jack is trying.

Herzog closes, with his spear ready.

Ethwig rushes forward swinging his mace. But hitting nothing but air as he does so! I don't do critical hits... or critical misses :D

The ogres roar soundlessly and attack! Both of them seem adept at using their fists, but can't seem to get past the defenses of the front line party members. They miss!

Arnar's second hammer unfortunately misses, but on his backswing, the Ranger finishes off the ogre they were facing! Gouging it now in the neck, and sending the ogre hard to the floor.
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 928 times
The first person to post should roll initiative and everyone should post their actions with their rolls for those actions.

Marching Order: Below is the standard MO, but the map shows about where everyone is.
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa

On the map above - Giants are all marked by black X's, the party is in red P, Ogres are noted by green O's except for the charmed ogre who is blue. And I've changed the color of any dead creatures to yellow to help out with logistics.

Actions by Wednesday morn please.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by max_vale »

OOC: I'm at work, so I don't have my books, I'm sorry, but I don't remember what die is used for initiative in 1st Edition; so could someone else roll that please? Elam will backstab with his club the surviving Ogre.

Also....my work doesn't let me access the Unseen Servant Dice Roller; but I found this one: brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm and rolled:

1d20 = 14 (+4 for a backstab attack = 18)

Damage for a club is 1d6:

1d6 = 3 (Multiplied by either x3 or x4 for a 9th level Thief...I don't remember and didn't list it on my character sheet, sorry! So, total is either 9 or 12.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus will press on with the attack, hopefully into the rear of the second ogre, Mr Green.

A single attack; he thrust his blade into the ogre:

To Hit: 11 (or 13 from the rear) , damage 18.

initiative roll d6 = 4

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Inferno »

Jack in the Green: boy druid/magic-user:

Jack kept flitting backwards, encouraging his knuckle-dragging playmate to follow him.
Whyever don't you speak Hill Giant?! Jack pondered. How do your big dumb masters order you about?
Oh well. Once the fighting subsides, we'll see if any in the party can speak to you. Perhaps Orcish will do! It's practically Common for vile, evil, cave-dwelling monsters such as yourself. Until then, at least we'll keep you from murdering anyone.

"Do any of you speak Ogre-ish or Orcish?" Jack asked in Sprite-ish.

"Jack!" the ancient boy said, touching his little chest with an impish grin.
"What's your name?" he said, touching the ogre's chest.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#91 Post by ToniXX »

Not to be discouraged by his first effort, Ethwig attacks the same ogre again:

to hit [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 damage vs large [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 mace

BOOM!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#92 Post by Gynsburghe »

Herzog remembers that his weapon is supposed to be slicked with the blood... in this case, Ogre blood. And by the look of the rolls...

To hit: [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19, damage with 'Kingfisher' (spear): [1d6+4] = 4+4 = 8

Yeeeeehaw!

(edited for note: I forgot to add in my bonus against large creatures and accidentally used the man sized damage... I'll remember next time!)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus will continue to dodge ogre blows with his displacer cloak making his shadowy form go in and out of focus. He will try to keep himself between the rear of the ogre and the double doors to the north.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by rredmond »

7:43pm
Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief w/the Ogres.
Round 2

The battle continues with the ogres!

As the sound of the party, all too close, continue, the party continues to melee the single combatant ogre still in the area of Silence, but too close for comfort to those double doors. But the ogre seems slower on the attack than the party, perhaps due to the lose of his comrade, or more likely to the loss of initiative.

Elam pops out of the shadows to attack from behind with his club. He is at a level that the effective strike causes quadruple the damage it would have otherwise. A visible dent is seen in the head of the damage, and he silently roars in pain!

The ranger, pressing his advantage, moves to the side of the ogre, trying to position himself between the ogre and the double doors. As he does he strikes out, thrusting into the side of the ogre, his gash following his track as he moves. The ogre, already turning at the "backstab" is turning a fraction of second behind the ranger as he moves. Thoroughly staggering the ogre, covered in running blood, it doesn't even roar this time; it's eyes flicker furtively toward the double doors!

Getting her crossbow ready again, Nessa takes another shot. Unfortunately the monk's shot goes over the head of the ogre, whizzing past Elam's ear, and clattering to the floor as did the first. The grimace of pain on the monk's face is purely of the emotional kind, being aggravated with her misses.

Jack caught behind the battle at this point, with his new ogrish friend, makes a mental note to ask the sprites, or anyone else in the party, if they know how to speak to the ogre. Trying to ascertain the ogre's name, he does get a response. The ogre points to Jack and says, Jack in a dull deep voice, it points to itself and says, Gothmog.

Herzog with his spear as Ethwig swinging his mace again. Both hitting the blood covered ogre, both attacks obviously hit the creature causing it to slump immediately to the ground, dead. Eye's closed, not breathing, and covered in blood. The giants in the northwest corner continue their happy uninterrupted slumber. A quick scan shows all doors closed, and none seem to be opening at this point.

Now that you have time to look, you see the doors are great iron-bound log affairs, probably about 1' in thickness. They look to be about 7' wide and 8' high, the ogres had to duck a bit to get through them. The double doors are, of course, two such doors. It looks as if they all open into the room. The room itself is quite large, as you can see by the map, the ceilings are about 16' high, which you know to be the short ones, as you guesstimate near the center of the steading the ceilings are likely over 30'. The outer walls are thick, the logs used having about 3' in diameter. The internal walls it's hard to say, but you guess they are about 2' in thickness. This guard tower and main entrance are, like the outside, quite damp, and the walls and doors look and feel damp as well.
Below is the standard MO, but the map shows about where everyone is.
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
There is still a 15' silence centered on Elam.

On the map above - The sleeping giants are all marked by black X's, all other enemies are dead, except for the charmed ogre who is blue.

Actions by Monday morn please.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread or let me know if I've missed anything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid / magic-user:

Jack felt the two thumps of the dead ogres hitting the floor. The mischievous lad giggled in Common, "Does anyone speak Ogrish? Our dear new friend, Gothmog, wants to make us a map of this place."

The ageless child would happily repeat his question as heroes emerged from the silence. If no one spoke Ogrish, he would try Orcish, etc.

If they found a way to talk to Gothmog, Jack would politely request that this be translated: "Hullo, Gothmog my friend! You're really good at hide and seek! Let's play again, but first I need to know more about where we're playing. Where are we on this map? What's over here? Where do your friends live? Who are they? Where are they now?..." Jack would play this fun game until he could fill in the map.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

Arnan, unimpressed with his results of the first fight of the evening, takes his anger out on the sleeping giants, making them dead giants with well-placed slashes of his sword across their necks.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Stirling »

"If we are going to murder everyone rather than letting sleeping dogs lie then I suggest we call your bear beasts to feast. make it look like they got torn to shreds by them otherwise we'll have a whole fort after us. ". Phaeus is careful to whisper in a non-silenced part of the room whilst Arnan goes about his grisly task. Phaeus will open up the main entrance doors to out side and call forth Rosebud. Then stepping across the room carefully to avoid bloody footsteps he will point suggestively with his blade that we should go through the western 'kitchen' door. He also signals to Jack a 'cut across the throat' sign for his new ogre pal or a nod towards the open door.

Rosebud is a blink dog 'animal companion' of ranger Phaeus.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by max_vale »

Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam will grimly wipe down his Club; put it back into its loop on his belt and drop the Silenced Sling Bullet on the side of the doors closer to the now deceased Giants; so that he and most of his companions were no longer encompassed in the Silent Bubble.

Turning to Jack the Thief-Priest says; "Sorry friend, just Gnomish and Hill Giant." Seeing and hearing Phaeus' comments/motions, Elam says; "Yeah, bringing the bears in here might be a good idea...though we should probably get your new friend out of the room first Jack"; he says with nod towards Gothmog. "We can keep the passage outside open so that way the bears can maybe retreat if they're not bothered or if you can tell them too"; he says with a questioning look at the Ranger and Druid/Mage; "While if any patrols happen along; they might not realize they've got raiders among them".

He then finishes with; "I don't think it's necessary for us to....take care of...Jack's new friend. I've seen magicked creatures work and fight really hard to the wizard's who've magicked them. Plus; if we run into somebody; maybe they'll hesitate when they see him with us...give us a few extra moments to come up with a plan. Just a thought".

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid / magic-user:

Jack was careful to keep Gothmog's back to the bloodthirsty dwarf's merciless butchery.

The ancient child agreed with Phaeus and Elam, and softly called for Beorn and Ursa to come.

Jack doesn't want to release Gothmog until he makes a map, allowing them to plan rather than wander blindly from room to room.
He said hopefully, "Perhaps Gothmog speaks Orcish. Do any of you?"
"I don't! When I tried to teach myself, the faeries washed my mouth out with soap!" Jack scowled peevishly.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#100 Post by Alethan »

After he finishes his task, including searching the giants for anything of value, Arnar says, "Yeah, I speak orcish, foul and filthy language that it is. Don't know how happy an ogre would be with speaking to me, but I'll try, if you promise I can kill him later."

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”