Action Thread 1

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 1

#41 Post by Nuke66 »

Nessa looks around for the rope and/or pulley system that may be employed to quickly negate the guard.

She turns to the rest of the group and holds a single finger to her lips and moves to activate the ropes to engage her plan, The only question remaining is whether or not they can muster enough weight to actually do to the job.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy magic-user/druid:

"Always let sleeping giants lie," Jack whispered with a grin. "If you don't kill him, you'll surely awaken him!"
If they did wake up the giant, Jack would try to charm him with a faerie magic spell.

In Sprite-ish, he whispered to the invisible sprite contingent, "Kindly flit down the stairs, peek around, and report back!"

In Bear-ish, he whispered out the tower to Ursa and Beorn, "Who's a smart boy and girl?! Go around to the opposite side of the fort and let the wargs smell you and hear you. Once they start barking, go hide in the woods until I call you. Don't let any giants see you!"

In Owl-ish, he whispered to Artemis, "Watch over us from above until I call for you, wise one."

If the party left the watchtower, Jack would pull up the hood of his Elven cloak and quietly follow along near the rear of the procession.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#43 Post by Alethan »

"Hey... you think this walkway goes around the perimeter of the camp?" Arnar asks nobody in particular.

"I'll be right back."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by max_vale »

Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam did his best to stay alert and keep a close eye and ear out for any signs of approaching danger….

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by rredmond »

Hey guys, I'll have the post up as soon as I can. I've been having issues with the speed of the site... or something. Sorry about that.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by rredmond »

7:20pm
In the Guard Tower of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief.

Sorry for the crappy map in my previous post. Just for a clarification that map is from the ground floor looking up. Which makes it messy considering you all come in from the top :) But I think I cleared up the description. Essentially you are in a 40' by 40' room. There's a hole in the floor leading down. The room is open 360 degrees, as there is only half a wall, with the roof/ceiling being held up by beams/posts at the four corners of the room, which is why it was so easy to climb into. Hopefully this, less pretty, map helps.
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (36.82 KiB) Viewed 806 times
The party springs into action. While several keep a watchful eye open, in this very dangerous of places, Nessa checks out the bar and hoop and realizes that they are just simply hanging from the ceiling by ropes. It looks like striking the hoop with the bar could cause quite a racket and is likely an alarm that rouses the Steading to action.

Jack meanwhile talks to the sprites who fly down the steps nervously. Then he talks to his animals as quietly as he can from 30' up telling them the plan. The bears lumber off, as the owl seems to blink agreement.

Meanwhile the sprites come back, they seem to be chuckling, no longer nervous. They say in common, so that all understand, There are two guards below, and they seem to have partaken of the same ale as this big guy here. But we figured that you wanted them to be sure to remain sleeping, so we shot them with our special arrows as we did this one. We may be running low on arrows, but sleeping giants, at least, we can help with!

Actions by Monday please.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus, cloaked in shadow and constant appearing to shift without actually going anywhere, motions that he will investigate downwards. He will move down the stairs to the sleeping giants below. Stopping at a point where he may remain hidden in the shadows and peer around a corner into the room he will scan the place for other exits and anything on tabletops like keys to lock doors with.

Stairs...you didn't write but I assume stairs not just a hole or a firemans pole to slide down. Either way, Phaeus is happy to go look around. No pole then lower me using the rope and hoop to place a foot in.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by rredmond »

I should merge the two maps. :) But yes, it's a hole in the floor that leads to stairs going down.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus, sword drawn moves down the stairs. No light, keeping to shadows. He is expecting snoring from the giants sleeping below. He will ignore them and once in the room he will check for other exits; one must lead outside as it is a guard room from the watch tower base, he will leave that and listen behind any doors from which noise comes through, peering through any keyhole or notch in the door boards. What does he see, hear?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by rredmond »

7:30pm
In the Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief.

Some of the party are surprised to inaction that they've made it this far! The dinner party still rages on to the north of you. While the party continues to check around the toer, the ranger sneaks down the stairwell to confirm what the sprites reported.

Jack, peeking out of the tower's open areas, can no longer see the bears in the darkness.

Phaeus hits the bottom of the stairs safely to see the large room, inhabited by two snoring giants, who's snores are not louder than the cheers in the room that he figures must be not too far north of the double doors in the center of the north wall, if not just beyond them. The place is almost bare, but there are many pegs along the walls and various items of giant outerwear (capes, cloaks, etc.) and large bags hang from them. Just north of the entrance doors, in the northeast corner of the room, are two happily snoring hill giants. There is, what looks like, an ale keg on the table in between them. The northern wall has a set of double doors in the middle, as well as a door in the northeast and northwest corners.

As he is taking this all in, surprised that it can't be this easy, the door just to the north of the stairs, 20' in front of Phaeus starts to open.
Occupants:
Tower - one dead hill giant
Main Entrance Room - two sleeping hill giants, incoming unknown through the northwestern door.

Giants are all marked by black X's, rest of the party is up in the tower, Phaeus is at the red P, and the door is opening at the green O on the map:
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (645.7 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Actions by Thursday morning please.
Please let me know if there are any questions by posting in the "Questions for the DM" thread.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by max_vale »

Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam will pull out a sling bullet and whisper to his companions; "Should I use my Silence dweamor on this stone to help mask any sounds we make? I can also hurl it away from us and/or towards any foes to disrupt spell-casting and coordination efforts of any foes we encounter."

OOC: If most people agree, Elam will cast Silence 15' radius on his Sling Bullet

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

max_vale wrote:Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric

Elam will pull out a sling bullet and whisper to his companions; "Should I use my Silence dweamor on this stone to help mask any sounds we make? I can also hurl it away from us and/or towards any foes to disrupt spell-casting and coordination efforts of any foes we encounter."

OOC: If most people agree, Elam will cast Silence 15' radius on his Sling Bullet
Arnar, who didn't really go anywhere, asks, "How long do it last, this spell o' yours?"

Once the giant in the guard tower is dispatched, he attempts to remove the belt. "Don't want to leave this laying around where just anyone can take it, do we?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid/magic-user:

"Good work, my lively lads and lasses," Jack whispered in sprite-ish. "I told you there would be all sorts of fun tricks to be played here! Not that I'm the sort who says, I told you so."

Then to the party, "Let's follow good sir Phaeus downstairs!"
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Gynsburghe
Strider
Strider

#54 Post by Gynsburghe »

Herzog, Gnome (of apparently few words at the moment: Follows cautiously behind the others.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Inferno »

max_vale wrote:Elam Vax; Human male Thief/Cleric
Silence will prevent us from casting spells as well. Maybe we wait until we need to be silenced? Right now, most everyone is snoring or partying loudly. My two cents. :)
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus sees the door to the north start to open. If there are a line of cloaks and large sacks along the western wall he will quickly step into that area and try to camouflage himself amongst the giantish wear, remaining as hidden as his displacer cloak will allow. He will try to be opposite the stairs so that he may hand signal anyone coming down the stairs to remain motionless and quiet. If there is no suitable place to hide he will turn quickly to his left and duck behind the barrel or table pictured. If the intruder is a single giant, Phaeus will prepare to surprise attack, especially if the intruder comes to the left away from the 'sleeping uglies'. More than one intruder, Phaeus will remain vigilant and hidden.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Inferno »

Jack, boy druid/magic-user:

Jack pulled up the hood of his elven cloak and quietly, carefully descended the gigantic steps with his invisible sprite friends...
...falling into the marching order from the Strategy thread.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by rredmond »

7:35pm
In the Main Entrance area of the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief.

Sorry I was late, had to resolve some PM actions first :) We'll say everyone posts actions by early Tuesday.

The party discusses spells as they form up to move downstairs. The dwarf, not leaving an opportunity behind, yanks off the giant's belt buckle. The job is easier as he sees the belt is worthless, and cuts it loose from the buckle, which seems to be worth some gold for sure.

Meanwhile, the Ranger, seeing the door opening, jumps under cloaks and sacks to the west. Though he's used to some amount of wilderness and animal smells, he was a little put off by the foul air of his hiding spot.

This gambit seems to work as three ogres walk in and immediately head east to the main entrance area, and don't appear to notice him. Catching a glimpse of the snoring giants, they elbow each other and start chuckling and talking to each other.

Meanwhile the rest of the party has started down the stairs, but before they get to the very bottom, they hear the large wooden door open, and slam shut. The thumping and shuffling of large feet, and then the multiple voices laughing and speaking in ogrish. In the chaos of the noise, they sneak down to the bottom, but not exiting the stairway because they don't see their ranger.

PM out. Max you would have time to cast the spell if you want to, though you do hear the opening and closing of that door so you can take that into account for your decision.

Marching Order: (Phaeus is already below) The stairs are wide enough to go two by two.
--Arnor--
Ethwig -- Herzog
Sprites (inv/flying) -- Jack
Elam -- Nessa
Immediate vicinity: Tower - one dead hill giant
Main Entrance Room - two sleeping hill giants
---------------- three ogres just entered the room via the northwest door and headed east toward the sleeping giants.

On the map above - Giants are all marked by black X's, rest of the party is at the red P, Ogres just came in at the green O

Actions by Tuesday morning please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Stirling »

From his vantage point (which I assume is in the directly west wall opposite the staircase and not on the inner west wall around the corner?) Phaeus sees the ogres come in. Does he see them exit the room via the double doors or are they still in the room? This will determine his next move?

Either way he will hand signal Arnor that three big ogres have walked by using the western door. If the giants are using ogre servants. (Does their garb suggest that? Phaeus would make note of them carrying weapons or plates of vegetables).That door may lead to a side route around the noisy dinner party, which make sense for us to avoid. Phaeus will suggest we go that way though he knows not what lies beyond. The smell from the cloak hiding any cooking odours or flavours wafting through the other door.

If the ogres leave the room via the double doors, Phaeus will then sneak up behind and look for some way to secure or bar the doors to hinder their return. If the ogres are staying in the room Phaeus will signal to the stair party to come down slowly but move to the left and take cover.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by rredmond »

Phaeus was able to position himself on the western wall near to the door. His vision of the ogres, and sleeping Giants is not impaired.
The ogres aren't wearing any particular garb or uniform, but they came strolling in, seemingly from deeper in the Steading. They have stopped, maybe 40 feet directly east of you, and are pointing and laughing at the sleeping Giants. They are not being quiet or sneaking around in any way.

Return to “Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (1e)”