Prologue: Strangers in a Strange Land

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Prologue: Strangers in a Strange Land

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Ten Days Ago

It was time again to gather, to sharpen blade, prepare traveling spell book, to crusade for gods. For the itch was there, boredom settling in, purses low. The party - old friends and sword companions - greeted each other on the docks. 

- Siavel Nightwind, grey elf spell weaver, centuries old. 

- Azoth Al-Aziz, dark priest of Nodens the Uncaring.

- Alex Vam, known as Blade Rain, fighting man with his arsenal of daggers

- Bruno the Mad, gnome cutpurse, burglar, acrobat, of gigantic mirth and diminutive tread

- Calto Moonslayer, half-elf druid, moon-cloaked defender of balance and nature

- Leomar the Red, human rogue, whose crimson demon-hide leather flashes behind black cloak

Under dark clouds they boarded the great galley ship Water Spirit to cross vast ocean.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prologue: Strangers in a Strange Land

#2 Post by Grognardsw »

Three Days Ago
The strange mists moved in, faint yellow in color. More disturbing was the foul smell, subtle at times and pungent at others. The Captain had never seen such a thing. The adventurers sought answers through magic, but none were revealed.

Two Days Ago
The Water Spirit and her crew never had a chance. The kraken struck.

The ship splintered in twain. The adventurers bloodied the great beast but alas it was too overwhelming. They escaped on timbers. And drifted.
Today
The adventurers washed up on the jungle beach.
The mid-day sun was hot. They were tired, wet, hungry, lost. Sounds of the jungle echoed forth - strange shrieks, chatterings, howls. Then the rain came, torrential downpours. The party moved into the canopy of trees to avoid the heaviest downfall as they considered their next move.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Magnus »

Siavel Nightwind - mage

Vel took a deep, slow breath as he did his best to keep himself somewhat dry. His faithful pet giant weasel, Blue, curled around his legs; its silver fur slick with rain. Far from the misty pine forests of home they were, but this was just as the Mage liked it. The only question was how to get from this boring jungle into something more interesting. And Vel did not know the answer.

Chewing on a handful of hazelnuts, Siavel asked his companions: What do we know of this land? What direction might take us to civilization? Do we follow the coast?

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Coleridge »

Calto Moonslayer – druid

Standing tall with face upturned to the pouring rain, his drenched clothing heavy, Calto marveled at the pure fresh rain flowing through his beard as it cleansed away the sand and salt of the ocean and cooled him from the heat of the sun. Despite his exhaustion, he could not but admire how the elements once again reminded him how they could cleanse even as they destroyed. Even this far from the forest lands he had wandered though the majority of his life, his connection to the growing trees and soil beneath his feet unbroken.

He turned to admire his friend Slavel. He appreciated the mage’s partnership with his animal companion, pleased that they found solace in each other’s presence.

“Don’t forget to save a few nuts for Blue, eh, Slavel my friend? Perhaps the local flora and fauna can help set us on the right path?”

I will take a closer look at the trees around us and any wildlife I may spot residing in their branches. Can I ascertain anything? Perhaps I can get a sense of the age of this area and whether it has ever been a thoroughfare for intelligent folks like ourselves? Perhaps suggesting a route?

“How’s everyone else? Still have that wonderful hat of yours I see Azoth.”

Does this work? My first “play” post ever.

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Synthalus »

BRUNO THE MAD
GNOME/THIEF-ACROBAT

Bruno looks at his companions and then to the jungle as the rain poured down upon his head and says;

" We are to exposed here on the beach and I for one would like to get out of the rain and find someplace to dry off. Might we continue our dainty rain admiration party from the safety of the jungle? I'll tell you what ill flip a coin, Heads we get off the beach and into the jungle out of the rain and tails we get off the beach and into the jungle, what do you say?

Bruno is a bit unhappy with being almost eaten by a kraken only to survive and wash up on a rainy jungle island with nothing of value and nothing of worth to steal. What good is a Burglar in a jungle he thought to himself as he flipped a coin. There's nothing to burgle.
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

Marcanus_da_Lich
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by Marcanus_da_Lich »

Grindhelm Lorthain - Fighter

A stout ginger dwarf sits on the beach examining stones. He looks angrily at the sea, then to his stones.

"Blasted sea-demon. Hadn't he destroyed the ship, he'd be my dinner for a week."

On his shoulder lay a battered skull of a kobold, one of which he has refused to talk about. He checks a book he has and groans at the water damage.

"Out of the rain, I say. Wretched sicknesses arise from staying out too long."

He agrees with the gnome, situating the skull on his shoulder and joining him.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

Azoth Al-Aziz, occultic priest:

The cleric looked like a drowned rat. He removed his black turban, wrung it out and put it at the top of his pack. It was sacrilege to have his head uncovered, so he donned the horned ceremonial war helm. Once his head was properly covered, his dark eyes slid toward the beach and the wreckage rendered by that cthulhoid, tentacled horror from the black, bottomless depths.
You did great, Coleridge! Nice job.

Grognardsw: What else has washed up here, please?
Are there any other survivors from the ship other than the PCs?
Were we far from our destination when the ship was destroyed?
Do any of the PCs possess a map of our proposed journey?
Where were we headed to, for this adventure we sought? :)
Thanks.
Then he joined his companions under the canopy.
Coleridge wrote:Calto Moonslayer – druid
“How’s everyone else? Still have that wonderful hat of yours I see Azoth.”
"Yes," said Al-Aziz dryly. "And the head that sits under it. So at least our journey wasn't a complete loss.
"I'm glad you're alive, Moonslayer. We need food, shelter, fresh water... please."

The cleric looked upon the thieves. "You're far from the city. There's nothing but honest work ahead, I'm afraid," he said sardonically.
Magnus wrote:Siavel Nightwind - mage
Siavel asked his companions: What do we know of this land? What direction might take us to civilization? Do we follow the coast?
"I can cast my eyes upon this land, once the rains slow. Moonslayer my friend, how long will this deluge last?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Dogma »

Leomar, Human thief

Leomar sat under a tree, idly drawing in the sand with a stick while listening to the rain fall and his companions talk. "Moving up the beach or into the jungle with no clue as to where we are or where we would be going is courting disaster, " he startes, throwing the stick into the jungle. "Does anyone have a clue of where the ship was on it's course before we were attacked? Has anyone seen a high point...a hill or cliff , even an extra tall tree? We could climb to get a better view of where we are...maybe from on high we could spot a town or something. Some sign of civilization"

Any place they can see nearby that would give them some elevation to better view the surroundings?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam; Human Male Fighter

Alex finds himself washed ashore after the foul leviathan turned their ship into kindling and drift wood and he does little at first other than roll over and enjoy the fact that he's still alive.

After a few minutes, the veteran warrior rises to his feet and checks his gear; satisfied that his numerous blades are all still upon his person and that his armor is situated properly. After THAT; he looks around the beach and grunts out a; "Good, your all alive"; to his companions.

Hearing the conversation; Alex listens in while glancing around in all directions, staying on the alert for any creatures or beings that may have noticed their arrival....

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

The adventurers huddle under exotic trees that shield them from the heaviest rains. A look up and down the empty beach confirms what they suspected after the kraken attack: They are the only survivors. They know that after the strange yellow mist in the ocean, the Water Spirit became lost, so their current location is unknown. The treasure map they possessed that started off their journey is useless.

Leomar the thief peers around, seeking higher vantage point. There are many tall trees that could provide such.

Calto Moonslayer the druid finds himself among a wondrous array of flora and fauna he has never seen before.

This must surely be a blessed land, for he can smell the pungent and pleasing earth and water all around him. Gaia and the Green Man reign supreme here. And ancient are the strange trees, tall and wide, their tops clustered in canopies of leaves and vines.

He spies a small river flowing from the inland and senses that may be a good trail to follow, for there is usually game, edible plants and fruit, and fresh water up along such waterways.

Then there comes a deep, reverberating sound: ominous drum beats echoing from deep within the jungle.
- I believe I answered Inferno's questions and others, but feel free to ask any more.
- Good first post Coleridge! Per my PM, you can always converse among the players without the DM. If you are using any specific druid abilities/powers just state so.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Azoth Al-Aziz, occultic priest:

When he found the beach empty of survivors, the dark priest faced the uncaring ocean and murmured a pragmatic prayer to the lost souls of the captain and his crew. "Rest in peace, fellow travelers. Your trials are ended. Your ordeal over. Regret not, nor linger here searching for answers. There are none. This unjust catastrophe was not of your making. All that matters now is the final voyage that awaits you. Go now. Leave all this behind. And may your souls know peace at last upon those utmost shores."

When he was with his companions taking shelter beneath the trees...
Inferno wrote:Azoth Al-Aziz, occultic priest:
"I can cast my eyes upon this land, once the rains slow. Moonslayer my friend, how long will this deluge last?"
Upon hearing the drums, Al-Aziz said, "Never mind. We've no time to lose."
The priest unfurled his small prayer rug and sat upon it in meditation. It began to levitate, slowly at first, and then quicker. Higher and higher the flying carpet rose until it passed above the jungle canopy.

The cautious priest would ascend slowly after that. Like all occultists, Azoth Al-Aziz wished to see the unseen, without himself ever being observed.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Dogma »

Leomar was standing at the base of one of hte tall terees, looking up and wondering if he could get above the canopy when he notices Azoth rising into the air.

"By Mitra's third nipple!," he exclaimed ,"a flying carpet. Now we might be getting somewhere." He leans agasinst he tree trunk and waits for Azoth to return with news of waht he has seen.

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Coleridge »

Calto stares at the large trees around him, admiring their beauty and the hidden wisdom they must surely possess. He focuses his attention on the exotic snake high above, smiles, and points it out to the others.
“My friends. I’m certain I could reach out to one of these local animals in friendship and ask for guidance.”

He turns his gaze back to the others. “But I don’t see a need at the moment.”

He points the stream out to the others. “I believe this stream, and the trail beside it may lead us to a more hospitable locale for our more metropolitan companions.”

At the sound of the drumming, Calto frowns, but his expression quickly lightens. Surely a people that live so close to such ancient flora without changing it to fit their own needs can’t be that bad?

Do we have any sense how far away the drumming is, and if it's mobile?

Marcanus_da_Lich
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by Marcanus_da_Lich »

Grindhelm grunts in disapproval at the lack of stone visible on the surface, but looks around for signs of other people.

"If we have water, we have life. We can set up here if we find no better place."

He then hears the drums and immediately pulls out his axe, intricate markings carved into it.

"Ready yourselves, you can never be too careful. We must not make our presence known."

He advises with a huff, making sure everyone hears him.

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Synthalus »

BRUNO THE MAD

Bruno admires the dwarf and his tenacity. Then claps him on the shoulder in a friendly manner and says;

" You and I need to stick together Grindhelm. Between the both of our talents there will not be much that we cannot overcome. Should we survive this I would greatly like to learn more of the fighter arts from you. But currently we have heathen jungle dwelling lizard folk I suspect that need killing! Somebody needs to put a stop to their amateur drum session. Shall we join the Black Priest and sally forth to see what we can see?

Bruno smiles his crooked smile at his new friend Grindhelm, then backflips onto a jungle tree stump to have a better look around.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Magnus »

Siavel smiles wryly at his friend Moonslayer's remarks. He then nods sharply as the druid becomes acquainted with the flora and fauna that surround them. A second sharp nod quickly follows Moonslayer's suggestion that he speak with a local animal, but he adds:

"My friend, do not forget that the information that we might gather from your ability to speak with animals will necessarily be limited by the capabilities of the animals themselves. Perhaps you should call to a bird or a monkey --- animals both intelligent and who range widely."

The mage then watches Aziz float to the forest canopy, admiring the magic at work and waiting (uncharacteristically) patiently for the priest's report.
Sorry for the short posts, gang. Traveling for business this week and trying to keep up.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Azoth Al-Aziz gathers his dark cloak about his brass, rune-covered platemail as he sits upon his Meditation Rug of Corporeal Transcendence. The cleric of Noden the Uncaring meditates and the small carpet, allegedly woven of griffon hair, rises miraculously upwards into the jungle canopy. The leaves part and Azoth spies an impressive sight...

He studies the horizon more closely and sees far off to the northwest...

To the northeast Azoth spots a plume of smoke rising. He cannot see the source, which is under the canopy of trees.
The adventurers discuss options while the dark cleric observes above. Calto the druid suggests a river route, and ponders communing with a jungle animal to gain insight. Siavel the grey elf suggests certain animals may have a better perspective. Dwarf and gnome bond. Leomar the thief decides to not climb a tree given the magick carpet trick of the cleric.

The ominous drumming sound continues. It seems far off to the north and difficult to pinpoint whether the sound is moving.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Azoth Al-Aziz, Occultic Priest:

Azoth squinted his dark eyes at the breathtaking vista afforded by his flying carpet. He remained a while. Then he reluctantly descended, sinking slowly back down to earth.

After he landed, he stood and meticulously furled his prayer rug as he gave his friends an exact, precise report of what he had seen.

Only then did he offer counsel. "If we must choose between the stone citadel to the northwest and the settlement to the northeast, I would humbly recommend the latter."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Synthalus »

BRUNO THE MAD

" I also vote the village first. I would see my clothes dried over a fire and my belly filled with warm food. Can't get that at the citadel I'll wager. I'd be happy to scout ahead for eveyone. Due to my small size I could probably infiltrate this village and spy on its inhabitants before we make our move to enter it as a group. I like to recon, it's what I do best."

Bruno audibly cracks his knuckles and smiles at everyone.

-H.P. Lovecraft

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam; Human male Fighter

Upon hearing the drumming sound, Alex's hands flew quickly to his weapons and in the blink of an eye his broadsword had been pulled from its sheath on his back and was in his right hand while his left had drawn his favorite enchanted Dagger and was deftly flipping it; ready to be thrown at a moment's notice.

As he realized the sound was far off; he sheathed the dagger, but kept his sword in hand and upon hearing the Cleric's report and several votes to head for the village; the scarred warrior merely grunted and said; "Well; whatever we do; let's get to it and get out of this rain".

Return to “The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (1e)”