The Past is Prologue - The Accounts of Clarke, Archer & Finn

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Past is Prologue - The Accounts of Clarke, Archer &

#521 Post by Grognardsw »

DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Clarke:
"Florence, I don't know how this could be. You must tell me everything. Every single detail you have from the first time you notice Raymond appeared home. I need you to be exact as possible. What was the date, the time, what was he wearing, the clothes were they dirty, anything like that. The smallest detail, the most insignificant detail could be a clue into understanding of what happened. Because in truth Florence, I cannot explain what has befell Raymond."
Florence nods gravely. "Raymond knocked on the door a little over a month ago. It was after afternoon tea, probably 3:30 or so. He was wearing his field clothes and yes they were dirty. The most shocking thing was his age - he looked to be in his seventies!" Her eyes begin to well with the pain of the memory.

"He was babbling and in shock, muttering about a crystal. I called the doctor, who was mystified. We brought Raymond to the hospital and they were equally dumb-founded. They said he had the physiology of an old man, despite being 45 year old the last time I saw him, before he departed on the Turkey expedition."

The wife takes several sips of tea before continuing. "Several days later his mind seemed to settle. He hesitated telling me anything about the expedition, but over the course of the week he did tell me about the voyage on the White Ship, Paris, the Orient Express, and a little of the caves explored. Something terrible must have happened in those caves David, because Raymond refused to tell me details. He did not want "them" to come. And the crystal, what is this crystal? He would talk in his sleep, wake up screaming about it. But when I pressed him, Raymond would say nothing. And he did not want Miskatonic, or anyone, to know of his return! I know he took to book shops seeking volumes about mystic travel, because one dealer called upon the house and I happen to answer and learned of Raymond's search."

"Then, three weeks after his return, Raymond fell into further physical decline. The doctors said his body was developing complications from old age. He was somehow aging more! I prayed for him, David, oh how I prayed. But it wouldn't stop. I myself became ill from the stress of the situation and hired a social worker helper, for Raymond required constant care. His decline continued. I tried to find out more, and had Claire the social worker tell me where he went and who he talked to. Last week he went into a coma. I fear for the worst now."

P.I. Archer talks with a Boston Museum of Fine Arts curator.

"I assume it was the President, in agreement with the Board, that decided to join the museum consortium effort to supplement local law enforcement efforts with private investigation. Given thefts occurred at multiple museums, the consortium felt it an issue to be addressed at that level."

As the curator talks Archer recalls the Boston Police detective he met on the White Ship.

Later Archer calls Agent Watson at the Providence office of the national Bureau of Investigation. "Agent Watson here. Mr. Archer? Yes, Detective Sipowicz in New York mentioned you. It seems we may have common goals in this investigation. Can you come to my office?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#522 Post by Inferno »

Sam Archer, private eye:
Grognardsw wrote: P.I. Archer talks with a Boston Museum of Fine Arts curator. "I assume it was the President, in agreement with the Board, that decided to join the museum consortium effort to supplement local law enforcement efforts with private investigation."
Archer put a cigarette in his mouth, lit it and said, "I see. Who is the President, if you don't mind my asking?"
Grognardsw wrote: Later Archer calls Agent Watson at the Providence office of the national Bureau of Investigation. "Agent Watson here. Mr. Archer? Yes, Detective Sipowicz in New York mentioned you. It seems we may have common goals in this investigation. Can you come to my office?"
"I'll come right over," Archer said, and hung up. The gumshoe got his hat and left. On the street, he bought the latest edition from a newsie for a nickel.

He got his shoes shined while he smoked and glanced at the sports pages.

Then he hailed down a taxi, climbed into the machine, gave the address to the driver and read the paper some more.

At the BOI office, Archer stepped out onto the curb, went into the office and told the elevator operator the floor.

He went into the BOI offices and gave the girl at the front desk his name and Watson's.

"He's expecting me," Archer said.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#523 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

"Dear god but how can that be!"
Dr. Clarke is quite shaken once again. He looks to Florence and concludes that she must know the truth no matter how strange and weird the tale will sounds.
"What I'm about to tell you may sound like the ravings of a mad man or a work of fiction but I tell you it is the truth."
He quickly gathers his thoughts, takes a death breath and exhales.
"While searching the caves in Mt. Latmos we came across a large cavernous room. The room reached approximately 60' or more, it's hard to saw with the limited light available to us. Pictographs adored the tall stone walls and every so often a rather large size hole could be found. But the most intriguing thing about the room was in the center. A large circle of rusted metal the diameter of a man with three points coming together in the center to a box with buttons and levers. Atop that box laid a trapezohedron shaped crystal."
He pause to see Florence's reactions to the mention of the crystal.
"I didn't know what to make of it. It seemed rather modern and out of place. I dismissed it and went to examine the walls. Raymond chose to examine the device pulling levers and pushing button that would move. I was briefly distracted by Dr. Walton who had an accident while ascending a ladder. While tending to her wound, my attention was redirected back to the center of the room by cries of Dr. Morgan."
He pause for moment trying very hard to get the next part out.
"Raymond through his analytical undertaking must have found the correct combination of pulled levers and pushed buttons that cause the trapezohedron shaped crystal glow. He reached out and contacted the crystal. His form turned translucent to that of a ghost. In an instant it grew fainter and fainter until he disappeared completely. Before anyone could ascertain what has happened we were under siege by large winged indigenous creature that forced us to flee the caverns. We then encountered more trouble outside forcing us to abandon the expedition. From what you just said I can only conclude the impossible, that Raymond activated a vehicle of transportation that could only be found in the writings of fantasy and fiction. He disappeared and reappeared here on that day. He did not leave the expedition early. Until now I thought he was gone forever. His dramatic aging is something I can not speak of. Perhaps it was a effect of the ethereal vehicle or some other force in play. I know what I say sound like nonsense but I can offer no other explanation given the fact I have before me. He is the first man in modern history to move across the world in an instant. That is the truth no matter how inconceivable it may sound."
David looks at his watch hoping that visiting hours were still in effect a the hospital.
"I must see Raymond for my own eyes. I know he can not speak or hear me but I must let him know I did not abandon him. Would you please come with me to see him?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by Grognardsw »

Dr. Clarke struggles to comprehend his friend Raymond's impossible return. The archeologist explains to Florence what happened in Turkey.  "That is amazing and horrible," comments Florence.

At mention of the trapezohedron crystal, Florence says: "Raymond did talk about the crystal, how it was the key. I don't know what he meant. But he did take to searching for books on mystic travel."

She checks a notepad on the side table. "There was a book dealer in Providence - a Reginald Wilkins of the Charter Book Shop." Florence give the phone and address to Dr. Clark.

"Off course I'll come with you to the hospital," Florence answers Rayond. She gets her coat and the two leave.

Later at the hospital, Dr. Clarke is shocked to behold the geriatric Raymond Randolph. To see him in this state, in flesh and blood, is shocking (San. check please.)

Sam Archer takes a long taxi ride to Providence. Eventually the gumshoe stands before Agent Watson of the BOI.

"Thanks for coming Mr. Archer. The BOI is investigating a series of murders and as part of that have come across possible cult connections. Among our evidence are letters from a drug-dealer and possible cult leader. These letters implicate Konstantin Chertovski in Brooklyn. We understand you have letters from other individuals in contact with Chertovski, found in your investigation of a series of museum thefts. We'd like to compare notes and see if all this ties together."

"Separately, we'll be sending agents to Chertovski's address in Brooklyn to investigate. It seems like you'd be a good addition to that team."
To reflect sharing of information, Inferno can read and Archer considered to know the information in the "Chapter and Verse" and "Language on the Threshold" threads.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#525 Post by DadsAngry »

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#526 Post by Inferno »

Grognardsw wrote:To reflect sharing of information, Inferno can read and Archer considered to know the information in the "Chapter and Verse" and "Language on the Threshold" threads.
Ok. Thanks. I go now to read those threads. :)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by Inferno »

Sam Archer, private eye:

Archer handed over the letters and shared all the information he had, or at least the edited version he'd been giving law enforcement that glossed over his various crimes.

As he listened to Watson's report, Archer grew more angry with each blossoming detail.
He pulled down on his face. And listened to more.
He got up on his hind legs. And listened to more.
He forgot himself and who he was talking to. And listened to more.

Then he stopped listening.

Seeing red, Archer locked his jaw teeth tight and growled: "A team of agents killed, including Holmes?! Baines infected by the goddamn cult's hypnosis? Carcosa still at large? Jesus Christ! What a fine screw up you've got here! No wonder Andy won't touch this damn thing!

"Where are your pack of amateur librarian-consultants now?
When did you round up the Hepcats of Ulthar?
And how many military divisions are you sending in to knock over the Shunned House, to avoid a repeat performance of that asinine, botched raid at Club Zothique?!"

DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#528 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

Seeing Raymond fills David with a wave of emotions and of shock which he is able to contain. He take a chair and moves it the the side of the bed and sits. He leans in close to Raymond and speaks softly into his ear even though he knows that he can not hear him or respond.
"Raymond what has happened you? Your an old man." He lets out a tearful chuckle. "I though I lost you forever."
He pauses for a moment thinking of those who he did lose.
"Professor Ashley didn't make it back. Nor did Mr. McClain. Those winged beasts took them I'm afraid."
He looks up at Florence who has taken a seat on the opposite side of the bed.
"Florence tells me you came home over a month ago. Why didn't you telegraph me to tell me you were alive? Dr. Morgan took the crystal Raymond. We have it. We haven't been able to make any understanding of what it is yet. Oh I wish you could speak. I want to know what it was like. What did if feel like to travel across the world in an instant. Why you look the way you do. Edith is developing the photographs we took of the caverns. Maybe their is a solution among the images. We can change you back. Restore you to your former self." David now having trouble keeping it together.
"Raymond... Raymond... What has happened to you?"
He places his hand onto Raymond and sits in silence until visitation hours are over. He will take Florence back home.
"Thank you Florence for coming with me. I promise you I will find out what happened to Raymond. Before I go would you mind if I looked at his study. I want to see what research he was doing this past month. Maybe it could help me in discovering a cure for Raymond."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by Grognardsw »

Raymond Randolph lies in bed, unresponsive to Dr. Clarke's voice. The archeologist is shocked at Raymond's geriatric appearance. He is more than twice as old as when Dr. Clarke saw him last a little over a month ago. Drool runs down the old man's chin.

Later, in Raymond's study... Dr. Clarke finds among his colleague's papers a notebook containing scrawled, almost illegible writing. Despite this he recognizes it as Raymond's script, but effected by his great age. Those parts he can make out read: "Must find answers... reverse my aging... crystal is the key... what is it..? will what I glimpsed follow...? are they dreams or were they real..? area dealers for books on mystic travel... Reginald Wilkins, Charters Book Shop, Providence..."

P.I. Sam Archer chews out BOI Agent Watson. He looks at Archer with an annoyed look on his face.

"Are you done now pal?" He retorts. "We can't cowboy about like you dicks. The Club Zothique operation was a success in its way. What happened in the tunnels I'm not at liberty to say. We're in the process of finding and questioning the members of the Hepcats of Ulthar."

"We only have references in letters to Konstantin, which isn't enough to militarily raid his house. The consultant investigators have helped in the theories and ideas about the cult angle. They will be assisting in the Shunned House investigation. If you're so great than you can help them. They leave tomorrow."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#530 Post by Inferno »

Sam Archer, private eye:
Grognardsw wrote: BOI Agent Watson
"The Club Zothique operation was a success in its way."
Archer's mouth made a derisive snort. It might have been a laugh. Then he snarled, "Yeah. Just like the Titanic. You guys should be awful proud of your swell success. Holmes dead. Agents killed, including one that was a double agent for the cult. Carcosa escaped. 'Consultants' like a librarian with a shotgun, and a goddamned asylum inmate.
"Congrats, Watson ...in a way. When are you lot picking up your Congressional Medals of Honor?"

Archer's face was as tight and hard as a fist. He had to grind his teeth to stop from continuing.
Grognardsw wrote: "...We only have references in letters to Konstantin, which isn't enough to militarily raid his house. The consultant investigators have helped in the theories and ideas about the cult angle. They will be assisting in the Shunned House investigation. If you're so great than you can help them. They leave tomorrow."
Archer was quiet a while. Then he growled, "When and where?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by Grognardsw »

Inferno wrote:Sam Archer, private eye:

Archer was quiet a while. Then he growled, "When and where?"
"They leave tomorrow on the 10:00 am train to New York," answers Agent Watson. "Agent Mulder will be the BOI point person accompanying the group. They'll leave together from here."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#532 Post by Inferno »

Sam Archer, private eye:

"Tell him I'll be there, and to look for me in the station at 9:30." Archer said gruffly. Then the gumshoe stormed out without another word. Behind him, the door went SLAM!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#533 Post by Inferno »

Sam Archer, private eye:

For the rest of the day and night: (in order of priority)
  • He'll call Andy and let him know he's throwing in with the goddamn BOI, he's coming to town tomorrow, and is Andy ready for that steak dinner Archer owes him?

Archer investigates the Shunned House double murder from 25 years ago. Maybe Andy can dig out the police report from cold storage?

Archer tried to get a client list of Ward, Marsh and Mason to see if they represented any other smugglers.

He tried to find out what philosophy Chertovskii espoused and what art he supported. That little Mexican (con) artist was still at large.
Hey Grog, I don't think I got an answer to this. Thanks.
Inferno wrote:Sam Archer, private eye:
Grognardsw wrote: P.I. Archer talks with a Boston Museum of Fine Arts curator. "I assume it was the President, in agreement with the Board, that decided to join the museum consortium effort to supplement local law enforcement efforts with private investigation."
Archer put a cigarette in his mouth, lit it and said, "I see. Who is the President, if you don't mind my asking?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#534 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke:

After looking through the notes of Dr. Raymond Randolph and he bid his wife, Florence a farewell.
"Thank you for your help Florence. I'll find what has happened to Raymond and make it right."

He departs Dr. Randolph's home and goes back to the university with the intensions of securing the crystal in a deposit box or safe.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#535 Post by Grognardsw »

P.I. Sam Archer calls his friend Detective Andrew Sipowicz in New York.

"Sure Sam, let's do that dinner. Be careful out there with the BOI. I'll see what I can turn up about that double murder, though records back then weren't the best."

Archer then goes to the Providence Public Library to research newspaper archives and other sources for articles on Konstantin Chertovski and past Shunned House murders. After spending time there, he tries to investigate clients for Ward, Marsh & Mason through law trade publications and other legal resources. Please make two Library Use rolls, one for Ward, Marsh & Mason clients, and one for Chertovski/old Shunned House murder information.

While researching, Archer has a random memory that the Boston Museum of Fine Arts President is Arthur Fairbanks.

Dr. Clarke leaves Florence with the comatose Raymond Randolph in the hospital. He returns to Miskatonic University, almost forgetting he is now on "sabbatical" and has no reason to be there except to find Dr. Christopher Morgan. Dr. Clarke finds that his archeologist friend is not about, so he walks over to Dr. Morgan's nearby apartment.

"Come in David!" says Dr. Morgan. The forced sabbatical is not serving him well: he is a bit frazzled and unkempt. "Quickly now!"

Dr. Morgan notices all the shades are drawn and only one lamp is lit inside the study that Dr. Morgan leads him into. "How have you been David?"
Until Coleridge chimes to play Dr. Morgan, I'll NPC him.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#536 Post by Inferno »

DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#537 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Clarke

"Are you conducting some kind of experiment involving light?"
Looking around the apartment he noticing the drawn curtains.

"Christopher, I have just come from seeing Florence Randolph, Raymond's wife. The meeting didn't go as expected. Please take a seat and I will tell you about it."
Dr. Clarke waits for Dr. Morgan to sit before beginning his tale.
"When I first rang the bell I expected a grieving widow dressed in all black but instead found Mrs. Randolph not so. I explained to her what happened to Raymond as best I could in terms that she could understand but she kept on insisting that Raymond was still alive. To spin a tale about Raymond returning home months ago and to have aged 30 to 40 years. Well of course I didn't believe her and chalked it up to a widows grief. The more I explained how that was not possible the more she insisted that her story was true. She spoke of thing that only you or I or Raymond would have known about. Being the intellectually scholar I inquired St. Mary's hospital where Mrs. Randolph claimed Raymond was currently residing due to failing health due to advance aging. There was indeed a paitent by that name at the hospital. I visited the hospital with Mrs. Randolph just now only to discover her story true. Raymond is alive!"
He waits for Dr. Morgan reaction.
"It was Raymond alright but he looked a man of 70 or later. He couldn't speak being in a coma. His wife said he arrived at home in his field gear covered in dirt about a month ago. He face and body were that of an old man. He would not speak of how or what had happened to him. He did mention the crystal and that it was some how responsible for his transportation and/or transformation. He believe it was the key to solving this mystery. I looked through his study at the house and found for the past month he has been researching mystic travel. I also found this address for a book seller in Providence, Rhode Island that deals with books of this nature."
Dr. Clark hand Dr. Morgan the address so he can read it for himself.
"I plan on traveling there to see if I can find any information that might aid me in finding out what happened to Raymond."
Dr. Clarke looks around the apartment again.
"If your not to busy with, er.. your experiment I though you would like to accompany me and Dr. Watson. What do you say?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#538 Post by Grognardsw »

Archer researches the Shunned House but finds no accounts of it in what he digs up at the library. He does learn about the neighborhood and area of Brooklyn the house is in, called Red Hook.

What Archer Learned
Red Hook has been part of the Town of Brooklyn since it was organized in the 1600s.[1] It is named for the red clay soil and the point of land projecting into the Upper New York Bay. The village was settled by Dutch colonists of New Amsterdam in 1636, and namedRoode Hoek. In Dutch "Hoek" means "point" or "corner" and not the English hook (i.e., not something curved or bent). The actual "hoek" of Red Hook was a point on an island that stuck out into Upper New York Bay at today's Dikeman Street west of Ferris Street. From the 1880s to the present time, people who live in the eastern area of Red Hook have referred to their neighborhood as "The Point"

Rapelye Street in Red Hook commemorates the beginnings of one of New Amsterdam's earliest families, the Rapelje clan, descended from the first European child born in the new Dutch settlement in the New World, Sarah Rapelje. She was born near Wallabout Bay, which later became the site of the New York (Brooklyn) Naval Shipyard. A couple of decades after the birth of his daughter Sarah, Joris Jansen Rapelje removed to Brooklyn, where he was one of the Council of twelve men, and where he was soon joined by son-in-law Hans Hansen Bergen. Rapelye Street in Red Hook is named for Rapelje and his descendants, who lived in Brooklyn for centuries.

In 1839, the City of Brooklyn published a plan to create streets, which included filling in all of the ponds and other low-lying areas. In the 1840s, entrepreneurs began to build ports as the "offloading end" of the Erie Canal. These included the Atlantic, Erie and Brooklyn Basins. By the 1920s, they made Red Hook the busiest freight port in the world.
He has similarly poor results in his research into the client list of Ward, Marsh & Mason. The firm seems to keep a tight reign on public knowledge of its hooty tooty clientele. Though Archer has not called the firm directly.
Archer read the file of Carcosa letters? Did he notice anything in there related to his own line of investigation?

Dr. Morgan looks intently at his friend Dr. Clarke. 

"Experiment? No, but I swear I have seen... something in the crystal. It shifts, undulates... I have terrible dreams of my room opening upon a space above that isn't night, and something stoops, leans in from the outside, gathering identity with its approach. It pushes its unfathomable face down into our aquarium, displacing world spilling reality on heaven's front room floor -"

He stops short and wrings his hands. Then he listens to Dr. Clarke's account.

"That is amazing. Of course I will go with you. With all that has happened, I feel reality is unhinging. Perhaps we can find answers."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by Inferno »

Grognardsw wrote: Archer read the file of Carcosa letters? Did he notice anything in there related to his own line of investigation?
Thanks for the tip. Were the Carcosa letters in the Chapter and Verse thread?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#540 Post by Grognardsw »

Inferno wrote:Thanks for the tip. Were the Carcosa letters in the Chapter and Verse thread?
They are also recapped in the Investigators Notebook thread.

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”