Ch. 4: Onward and Downward

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 4: Onward and Downward

#341 Post by max_vale »

Xale will await the results of Abrex's spell and do his best to remain vigilant and watching for any signs of approaching foes; or devious magic; etc....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Zhym »

Abrex's cone of cold seems to do the trick. The brown mold becomes brittle, cracks, and bits of it flake away.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran nods appreciative and the craft of his comrade "Well done - let's finish our rest and recovery here and proceed further into this death trap"

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#344 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex says,"You guys rest I'll see what is left in this room. I can't get spells back and I want to make sure this mold is completely dead as it might still have some life in it. If is does it will get cold in here again once it recovers so we might not be able to rest until we get past it."

Abrex slowly moves in testing things as he goes. He stays away from any slime and he times his presence in the room and gets out before he thinks it might start shifting again. He repeats this until he has thoroughly searched the room and tested the mold.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by AleBelly »

"Splendid, Abrex!" calls Zoster. "I guess all I did was the exact opposite of the right thing."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#346 Post by Cwreando »

"Zoster, I porbably would have done worse. I just happen to have the right spell when you folks asked if someone could try cold instead of Fire. I probably would have sent a fireball in there and fried us all and then flash froze us to boot. We live and learn my friend", says Abrex with a sly grin.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#348 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex sees Eduardo shivering a bit and says, "I'm right there with you brother."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Grognardsw »

Elsa yawns. "Yes let us rest."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by max_vale »

Xale will accompany Abrex into the room; keeping his shield and hammer at the ready and will examine with his eyes and ears alone for now; looking for any signs of any traps or items that may have survived the mold and cold....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Zhym »

While others make plans to rest, Abrex carefully explores the room. With some trial and error, he deduces that he can spend about ten minutes in the room before it starts bouncing around again. That's enough to test the mold, but not to thoroughly search the cluttered room.

The mold seems well and truly destroyed. There are about half a dozen heavy trunks and a couple of dozen smaller coffers scattered about the junk in the room.

Status: Abrex (R9/MU11): 52/95; Eduardo (F10): 58/84; Elsa (F10): 37/58; Malibran (C10): 37/68; Zoster (F9/D12): 48/76; Xale (F8/C8): 47/54; Worren (C9/MU11): 53/53
Spells in effect: None

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Zhym »

Also, a dwarf in brass goggles, carrying an oddly-shaped wand, approaches from the tunnel to the west. He's so focused on the tomb's masonry that he almost literally stumbles into the party.

Please welcome Inferno to the group!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Inferno »

Dredd Doomsmith, Dwarf Deathtrap-Hacker:

"Och!" the burly, red-bearded dwarf exclaimed. He was carrying much unusual gear.
His stubby, gloved fingers pushed his goggles up onto his bald forehead. "More explorers like m'self I see. Well this is a miserable place to meet, and no mistake! I mean you no harm. I'm called Dredd Doomsmith."
Info and images here:
viewtopic.php?p=166605#p166605
The dwarf holstered his strange, steel and wood wand and turned his palms forward to show his hands were empty.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by Cwreando »

Welcome Inferno!

Abrex manages to catch the dwarf before he wakes the rest of the party so they can sleep.

Abrex in full Loincloth whispers, "Woah.....My friends are sleeping a spell. Who are you. Dredd you say. We are in rough shape my friend. Your a sore sight for these human eyes. We just got hit with a rough trap here and while they rest I was risking my neck to see if there is anything in there or secret/concealed doorway in there. It's hard to tell because about every 10 min the floor shakes something fierce. So once you go in you've got about 10 min to look around. Do you need to rest first Dredd? We lost our monk who was skilled in traps to this room not long ago and we nearly froze ourselves with this brown mold thing flared up. There was green slime in there too but I think it's all dead now but just so you know ya might want to be careful in there and double check."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Inferno »

Dredd Doomsmith, deathtrap hacker:

"You're stymied by a trap?! Zimm, the Generous God of Luck and Unlikely Coincidences, must be looking after ye this day. I happen to know something about traps."

The dwarf smiled to see another dwarf among the resting party's number. "I've not seen my clan brothers for some time," he rasped quietly. He cleared his froggy throat and wondered how long it had been since he'd spoken to anyone.

"Rest? No! Show me this room. What's yer name, lad?" he rumbled from deep in his barrel chest. "And where are yer clothes? You'll catch yer death of cold down here!"

Dredd looked in the room and scowled in thought."A monk you say? Hmmm. A monk has as much business working with traps as I have taking a vow of poverty. Or celibacy. Or silence. Ha! ...Rest his poor monk soul."

Dredd lowered his brass goggles over his eyes again and glassed the room carefully before setting foot in it. "Hmm. We'll need some iron spikes, lad. Also a flint and steel. A flask of oil. ...And some salted pork."
Goggles of Minute Seeing all over the room in question, please.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Zhym »

Inspecting the entire room with the goggles would take quite a while, especially if Dredd wants to inspect things in it.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by Inferno »

Okay. He used his naked eyes first, when he was delivering the monk's epitaph. Then he'll use the goggles to zoom in on the mold, the slime and anything else that caught his naked eyes' interest.

Also, thanks, Cwreando and Zhym!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Inferno »

Dredd Doomsmith, dwarf trap-hacker:

Dredd doesn't survey the ruins of the trap room for long before ruminating and grumbling, "Hmm. Ye see, this madness here is a magical trap. My speciality is mechanical traps. But we'll see what can be done."
"Ye say after ten minutes, the room shakes? Every ten minutes or just ten minutes after someone enters it? And has anyone tried that door there?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#359 Post by Cwreando »

"Well Dredd, no one has gone in floating yet so we only think it is weight activated and it only starts shaking after 10 min when someone steps into the room, as far as we know", says Abrex. "One of the tapestries was a slime creature and the other one was a mold creatures. The other stuff on the floor seemed like just junk. I don't think anyone has tried that door either. Things went bad quick on the first round of shaking."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Inferno »

Dredd Doomsmith, dwarf trap-hacker:

The stout dwarf stared into the room and screwed his face up in what passed for deep thought. He rumbled aloud to himself: "Ye are sly, but so am I.
"Och! If the curtains aren't real, it's likely nothing is! Each innocent-looking object could be a deadly creature. The chest. The door. By the gods, what an asylum this place is! I thought my clan brothers were devious, but compared to the architect of this madhouse, they are but lambs."

Dredd suddenly remembered Abrex was standing next to him. "Yer instincts were right, lad. We need to find a secret door in this room, or avoid this room entirely! Now... where's that salted pork?"
Once Zhym reports back on whether Dredd's first scan noticed anything, he'll probably go into the funhouse and search for secret doors for 9 minutes.
Must we go this way? Is there no other choice?
Thanks.
DM:

Player: