Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 32: From Beyond

#1 Post by Inferno »

Chapter 32: From Beyond

The Abandoned Manor, Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Two. Midday. Sunday, December 25th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

In the unnatural gloom of midday, a forlorn and darkened mansion, framed by the skeletons of dead trees, crowns a hill dominating the slums of Blackchapel.

Its elegance, grandeur and opulence fell into ruin long ago.

Deep within this supposed lair of the Hookhill Ripper, the doomed heroes find only desolation and mystery. Inside the front door, where unwholesome creatures from the sewer had definitely entered, there are no footprints in the thick dust. The adventurers discover no trap doors, secret passages, nor creatures lurking above.

With a prayer and an involuntary shudder, Ingrid detects an unspeakable Evil not of this world, permeating the very foundation and every wall of the ominous house!

Then Urdur, the conjurer of deception, weaves a spell of truth. It awakens within him sleeping senses, allowing him to see those invisible things that only birds and beasts can half-perceive.

Before his disbelieving eyes, a constellation of seething, sorcerous energy writhes into being, infusing the entire house!

With dread, the gnomish sorcerer realizes the nature of the black magic. The accursed mansion is a doorway to somewhere else! A doorway that can open only when the stars are right, upon such pagan holy days as:

The Autumn Equinox
All Hallow's Eve (known also as Samhain or The Witch's Sabbath)
All Saints Day
The Winter Solstice
and Winter Solstice End

From their investigations, the heroes know that on these nights sacred to druids, witches and warlocks, the Hookhill Ripper has murdered a woman of this sprawling, ancient city.

Tonight at sundown is the next such night that the 'door' will open. But from where?

In a low, disembodied whisper, Urdur shares his dreadful discovery with those who see none of this.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/22, Invisible
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 18/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 35/38, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 33/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Invisibility (Urdur): Targets: Urdur and Faron
Detect Evil (Ingrid): Duration: 34 rounds
Detect Invisibility (Urdur): Duration: 19 rounds

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 32: From Beyond

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof
With a prayer and an involuntary shudder, Ingrid detects an unspeakable Evil not of this world, permeating the very foundation and every wall of the ominous house!
Well, of course it does. Just once, can we go somewhere not permeated with absolute evil? Nevermind. We're here to help the good people of Hookhill. So, what's the plan? I need to go to the temple, but do not want to do that right now because I may not be able to come back to deal with...whatever all this is, says the cleric as she gestures to the horror that only Urdur can see.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser smirks at Ingrid's assessment. He grows serious again considering their next steps,"Once again we'll enter the depths of horror..." He examines the walls and floors to get a sense of the hidden magic. "Do we stake this place out until evening, or attend to any preparations you think we could possible anticipate and then come back?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo struggles to understand the connection with the killings and the holy days.

"I think staking out this house seems like the best bet to figure out our next step. I shudder to learn where this place is linked to though."

"Can anyone think of any other preparations we need to make before sundown?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome shivers, knowing that they're about to enter the same sort of trouble they found while trying to rescue Amity. He sighs, again wishing he had some wine.
Prayers and rest, meditation. If anyone has any coin, they should spend it on healing potions- and maybe a pint of ale...

He pauses, then continues, a frightened-but-determined expression on his face. Should we try to steal a march on the Ripper- and enter the 'door' to stop him before he can kill again?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by SocraticLawyer »

The gate will be opened again tonight, says an invisible Urdur. I know of no way to close the gate or exorcize the evil from this place. We should prepare ourselves then for whatever might come back.

If the others agree, Urdur helps set up traps near the doorway. He contributes what funds he has for the purchase of holy water, flasks of oil, rope, or anything else they might need in preparation for the visitors from the other side.

If he has time, Urdur uses his enhanced vision to search other areas of the house for anything else unseen.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Powerless when it comes to the mystical side of things, Telkis relies on the magically inclined to determine what they should do next and how, exactly, they should do it.

"It'd be nice to get the jump on whoever is doing this... if there's a way we can get through now. I hate waiting, especially in this town," he says.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome nods. "How to get through" is the real problem.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by jemmus »

Faron can't afford holy water, but he buys an iron holy symbol and a leather thong to hang it around his neck.

Assuming DM determines that he can find one for sale.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Unfortunately, I have no funds to contribute. My coin purse was stolen in the tavern last night. As for preparations, I don't really know. I guess we should just find places to hide and hope we can catch them unaware. I doubt they would expect an ambush in their house.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome nods, grudging respect for Ingrid showing on his face. A good idea, priestess.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks around for safe places to hide behind.

"Holy water is a good idea, but then we need to travel through this ugly city again to find it before sunset."

"Another problem is that we dont know exactly where these things enter the house. Unless your detection can show you exactly where the portal originates master Urdur?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser looks around the room as he speaks, "You want a healing potion, some want holy water, and I was thinking some extra oil would do some good. Since when do we get what we wanted, eh? Maybe staying put and being ready is the best way to go here... "

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by jemmus »

Invisible Faron takes his one flask of oil from his pack. I can contribute this for a trap. Do we know where the thing or things will enter from? Maybe we could rig a deadfall that would drop furniture or something heavy on it.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome grunts in annoyance. He pulls two vials of holy water and a coil of rope from his pack. I had forgotten I had these.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Manor, Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Two. Midday. Sunday, December 25th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Invisible sorceries stand revealed before Urdur's mystic sight. The sinister mansion exists in spaces outside Man's feeble perceptions. When the stars are right, the house becomes a doorway to somewhere from beyond. Tonight is the next convergence with the unknowable.

The doomed heroes await their fate. Hours pass - praying, resting, meditating, laying a trap - as the shadows in the ominous house grow deeper with the death of daylight.

Then, at nightfall of Winter Solstice End, everything seems to change around them! The outlines of the great darkened room and all its strewn wreckage blur and fall away inexplicably to other time, space and dimensions.

There is a cold draft and suddenly they are standing in the same chamber, entirely restored to its former breathtaking grandeur!

The dust and wreck is gone and magnificent candelabras fill the immaculate hall with a warm glow. A crackling fire roars in an opulent, oversized fireplace opposite the great doors. The peerless marble staircase is rebuilt and ascends toward graceful balconies and soaring vaults.

Of that preceding desolate and forlorn space, only the heroes remain!

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 10 feet.

PC Status:
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/22, Invisible
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 18/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 35/38, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 33/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Invisibility (Urdur): Targets: Urdur and Faron

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I...I was not expecting this! I thought some type of...gate, I suppose...might show up and werewolves would come out of it. I don't even know where we should start. Should we explore this floor or go right upstairs? Ingrid asks, keeping her voice low.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser also looks amazed. "First floor sounds good," he whispers. He looks up and around and behind him. He wonders, "where would we end up if we walked out... I'm not suggesting we do, mind you, just... curious"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo trains his mind on they way this room used to look, wondering if this is all some kind of illusion. He walks over to the stairway and, without climbing any of them, follows it towards the back of the room, trying to determine if there is anything else to be found on this lower floor.

"Fascinating," is all he mutters.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Cuthbert help me- I'm so thirsty... Jerome thinks. Aloud:I'm sure we'd be in a Very Bad Place- probably far in the past. Let us search this level.
He starts toward the left corridor, straight ahead of the group then stops. Does anyone have a way to seal that door? If they can't get out, we can hopefully preserve a life or two.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”