Chapter 31: On the Trail of The Ripper

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 31: On the Trail of The Ripper

#101 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo bashes the leach in his hand against the brick wall, unsure if that constitutes an "attack" or not. If he is too nauseous to do so, he simply tosses the leach further down the tunnel and gets to work freeing himself of any more of the bloodsucking monsters.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#102 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Ingrid will throw the leech against the wall and then remove the other bloodsucker from her body.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by SocraticLawyer »

In the space between life and death, Urdur and Mittens discuss life, the universe, and everything. On the Prime Material Plane, Urdur's invisible body remains slumped over Jerome's shoulder, not quite dead (yet).
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Inferno »

Beneath Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Near midnight. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Abhorrence and revulsion overtake the doomed heroes. Their life essence is being devoured by insensate, ravenous mouths. If they were to die here in the foul sewers of the undercity, none would ever know.

The queasy, weakened hosts frantically work to extract the skin-crawling horrors from their flesh before it's too late.

Bo, Faron and Ingrid rid themselves of the bloodsucking creatures. Detached, writhing leeches are flung against the walls and slowly slide down toward the murky river of excrement, where they will be free to hunt again.

Jerome, Mouser and Telkis each slaughter or remove one ghastly leech. But another bloated parasite remains on each of them, drinking hideously. (2hp damage each)

Mouser staggers, close to blacking out. Jerome and Faron are not far behind him.

Actions?!

Map:

Behind the DM Screen:

Round five:
Bo, Faron, Ingrid and Urdur have no leeches on them.
Jerome, Mouser and Telkis have one leech each. They each lost 2hp this round.

PC Status:
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/22, Nauseous
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 3/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 13/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl, Nauseous
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 5/23, Laying Hands: 0/1, Nauseous
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 26/38, Spells: 4/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl, Light stone, Nauseous
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 18/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: -5/11, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl, Invisible, Nauseous

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Invisibility (Urdur): Target: self

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Urson »

Jerome
The Paladin bites his own tongue- hard- hoping the pain will help keep him focused enough to save his life.
DEX 9 [1d20]=10
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308

#106 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Who still has leeches? She will help Mouser if she can determine he needs it. If not, she will help someone nearby.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by SocraticLawyer »

The invisible and unconscious body of Urdur clings to life, barely.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser tries to pull the last slug thing off of himself. Feeling weak and unsteady he moves forward to get out of the filth that is probably hiding many more of the crawly things.

Dex (17) [1d20]=9

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by jemmus »

Faron tries to sling Urdur over his shoulder and move forward. Perhaps there won't be any leeches ahead. Or not as many. He only knows that staying here will eventually kill everyone.
Str 10 [1d20]=14
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#110 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo helps anyone else who might need it.

Once he is sure he is free from the creatures, he sticks his spear into the water and swooshes it around his submerged legs, front, sides, and back, hoping to either prevent any more from attacking, or at least to feel if any have reattached themselves to him.

"We need to get out of this filth before we are all dead! I cant imagine the diseases we will contact in our open wounds in this hellish slop."

His gaze fixes on Ingrid, hoping she still has the means to aid them all if they can ever find an exit.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Inferno »

Beneath Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. After midnight. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, cloudy

The doomed heroes rid themselves of the ghastly bloodthirsty parasites and stagger on through the rank estuary of effluent with an urgency borne of pure survival instinct.

They wade through the unbranching tunnel and eventually find a sewer grate overhead whose muck and crust has recently been disturbed.

The heroes carefully dislodge it and pull themselves out of the heinous sewers of Hookhill onto the cobblestones of a filthy gutter, gasping and panting. They are mercifully free of leeches. And their nausea fades.

Wet footprints, longer than that of a Man, trail away from the sewer. Before they dry up, the adventurers cautiously follow them and discover they lead toward a towering manse that overlooks the forsaken slums of Blackchapel. The ominous structure is dark, forlorn and abandoned.

The heroes are freezing cold, weak from blood loss, and covered in excrement. Their open wounds need cleaning. Urdur is still unconscious. And they don't know where in the city they are.

The uncaring stars have not yet begun to pale for dawn. Tomorrow, on the final night of Winter Solstice End, the Hookhill Ripper will hunt again.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 3/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 13/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 5/23, Laying Hands: 0/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 26/38, Spells: 4/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 18/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: -5/11, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl, Invisible

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Invisibility (Urdur): Target: self

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by jemmus »

Well crap, Faron says. Literally. He sheathes his glowing long sword. I think we're done for the night. Urdur is down and some of us aren't far behind him. I think we need an inn, some heat, baths, and some wounds tending. That ugly manse can wait until tomorrow. You can't prevent more deaths if you're dead yourself.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Very true. But I don't know who's going to accept a crew like us- especially since we're almost penniless.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#115 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo rings the filth from the lower portion of his robes.

"I can create enough water to clean our wounds, but the process takes me a while. I cannot however create gold coins that will allow us to check into a nice hotel with a warm bath."

If the others are willing to wait ten minutes, Bo will cast his Create Water spell, unless Ingrid wants to speed up the process by casting it herself.

"Does anyone actually know where we are in this gods forsaken city? I thought one of us had been here before?"

In the absence of any other plan, Bo suggests walking in the direction of the foot prints before they dry, hoping it will lead to more options.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser leans against a post, clearly the worse for wear. "I don't know where we are - everything looks closed up for the night. Maybe you're right, Bo, take a few more minutes and follow these prints while we can. If we find somewhere to hole up, we take it."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome nods at Long Bo's suggestion. He attempts to follow the tracks- while staying off to one side of them- scraping muck off of himself while he goes.

Scott308

#118 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I can create water so we may clean ourselves, but first I need to to heal Urdur. Where is he? She will cast Cure Light Wounds on Urdur, then-if there is time- will cast Create Water to clean themselves up.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Assuming Ingrid's spell returns him to consciousness, Urdur once again feels himself pulled back to the material world. He hears, or thinks he hears, the words of his beloved dog: I'll wait for you! It wont be long.....

Alive once again, he says, víðförla?
What the heck happened? Where are we?
And what is that smell?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Checking his coin purse, Telkis speaks up.

"I still have, perhaps, enough to put us all up, should we find an inn that will take us. I hope we're in a part of town that will accept dwa... er, gnomes," he says. "We should at least rinse off the filth first."

He'll follow the tracks with the others far enough to confirm they lead to the abandoned mansion, then press to call it off until they are better prepared.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”