Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

#81 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis is relieved someone knows what the man is talking about. After Faron flips him the coin, the gnome nods politely to him and goes back to his drink in an effort to trying to remain unnoticed. He knows one wrong word can set of a ruckus in a place like this, and doesn’t relish the idea of handing some rotten-toothed local his behind. Or getting arrested by the guards, for that matter.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome is baffled by the slang and the accents in the room. He says nothing, and concentrates on keeping track of his companions and their conversation.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by jemmus »

Faron stares at Ajax an exaggerated mock baleful look that says "Shhh, man, stop that! I'm trying to get something from this fellow." It's the equivalent of kicking someone from under the table. Not that he'd ever chance physically kicking Ajax. He's very generous, but he's grim in appearance. As Faron's mum used say, "Faces may be comely or homely. But you know right away who someone is by the way they present themselves when they leave the house in the morning." No, no signing the big fighter in black armor by kicking under the table.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Inferno »

Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Night. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Across the angled floor of the Cross Keys, Ajax, Jerome and Mouser watch Faron pay two silver to avoid a fight.

The large, scarred man bites the coins with his rotten teeth and answers, "Name's Bold Dell. No bangers. S'only muttons wut croaked."

Faron and Mouser understand Bold Dell's words: There's no reward for catching the Hookhill Ripper. It's only prostitutes that are being killed.

Faron warns Ajax off with his eyes. Telkis slips away. Urdur nurses his drink. Ingrid tells the barmaid she'll go where and how she wishes, and why. The woman replies, "Facin' evil? Beggin' your pardon, miss, but whatever do you mean?"

Long Bo buys another drink (1sp) and four more (4sp) for a table of women; battered, worn, and tired, attempting to forget their plight for a few ale-soaked hours.

Bo asks the barkeep, "Have the other murders also occurred on specific dates?"

"Now that you mention it, one poor girl was done in on All Hallow's Eve," the barkeep answers.

The druid knows October 31st as Samhain and the Witch's Sabbath; the end of harvest and the start of winter, signifying death in the cycle of the year.

Bo asks, "Would you also know where one could locate these coroners you mentioned?"

"Near the guard barracks and the jail. Excuse me," the barkeep says as he serves the huddled women and nods toward Bo in answer to their surprised queries. They look over, eager for the drink but wary of its source.

Actions?

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome is feeling the warmth of the alcohol, and is more relaxed. He raises an eyebrow at the factoid that the women were possibly killed on holy days.
That sounds like a place to start looking. Jerome speaks carefully, trying to sound sober.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by jemmus »

Faron
Faron 'tis, Bold Dell, pax and trubba not. Got a yellow one fer a packie what's can school a thing 'bout the rotter what's at the arga warga.
I'm Faron, Bold Dell, well met/peace between us. I have a gold piece for a thieves guild member who can provide information about the villain doing the prolific murdering.
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#87 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo nods his thanks to the bartender and approaches the table of harlots slowly. -6sp

"Hello there ladies. What's the matter? You dont want to drink with a harmless old pilgrim?"

He waits for an answer and a nod to sit before asking his next question.

"I am only looking for information about these murders that I wont learn from the guards or other officials. You would all like revenge on this monster for what's been done to your friends, no?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis reflects that he and Urdur could avoid the stares in a place like this by stacking on top of one another under a simple long cloak. Of course, he'd have to be the feet and rely on Urdur passing him drinks...

He dismisses the thought as ridiculous and goes back to nursing his drink and listening in to the conversations around as best he can.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser adds on to Faran's ask, ".. or someone who may know a little more we could inquire with?..."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#90 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

There are...ancient gods. Dark gods whose worshippers hide in plain sight. An entire town willing to sacrifice innocent travelers to satisfy their evil patron. Foul creature's of legend. We have seen things nobody should see. I won't say more because I don't wish to burden you with my troubles. Just...please be careful. I saw the flyer- the killer preying on women. I would hate for you- or anyone else- to be the next victim.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The warrior holds his tongue and relaxes into his seat, minding his drink. The dismal air of the city has infected his mood. He hopes their sojourn here will be brief.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur nurses his drink slowly. He wonders absently whether an invisible party member might be able to gather information more efficiently. Probably not worth the trouble. He waits for others to learn what they can. He meets Telkis's gaze, acknowledging with a nod that he is thinking the same thing about a gnome-stack.

Does Urdur know any cantrips, coin tricks, or the like? Something harmless and not obviously magical, but still cool?
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Inferno »

Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Night. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Deep in the slums of Hookhill...

...in a dilapidated tavern packed thick with desperate, unsavory men, the strangers to Blackchapel investigate murder most foul.

Ajax, Urdur and Telkis wait, watch and listen.
(Anyone that cares to may try a new eavesdropping attempt. Please make one WIS check on 1d20+4 if Human or Half-Elf, on 1d20+3 if Half-Orc, or on 1d20+2 if Gnomish. Good luck.)

Ingrid urges her barmaid to take care, else fall under the Ripper's knife. Wide-eyed, the serving girl gulps and quickly leaves the table.

Jerome watches Long Bo approach a table of forsaken women.

One shrills indignantly at him, "Oi! Does this look like a street corner? We's off duty!"

"Easy, Liz. Maybe there's more where this came from," murmurs another, indicating her drink.

"No worries, I'll take im," grunts a third as she drains her mug and stands. "C'mon, old timer. Outside and make it quick. It's cold tonight."

Long Bo assures them, "I am only looking for information about these murders that I won't learn from the guards or other officials. You would all like revenge on this monster for what's been done to your friends, no?"

Liz bellows, "An' 'ow do we know you ain't the Ripper himself, looking to off any witnesses, you dirty ol' skilamalinker?!"

Meanwhile, Faron and Mouser offer Bold Dell a gold piece for the identity of the Hookhill Ripper, or of someone who might know it.

Dell's scarred face is gravely still for a heartbeat.

Then he barks a raucous laugh through the wet ruin of his teeth. "Half-rats are ye? That's a tanner."
("Are you drunk? That will cost twenty gold pieces.")

If they pay, Bold Dell says, "Oi. Follah. But back-slang it and no sauce-boxin'," and heads for the door. ("Good. Follow me. But inconspicuously and quietly.")

Actions?!

Behind the DM Screen:

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by jemmus »

Faron
A tanner 'tis? Flea deary and pawny, ain't it? Debil sworn, I haint it, what's you like savvy. Trubba not, I'll palaver wid the broodies in the lingo. We pack as one, pact? 20 gold coins, it? A bit high and extortionist, isn't it? The truth is, I don't have it, as you probably already know. With your permission, I'll discuss with my group of friends in Common. All of us come together, agreed?

Whispers to the group, while maintaining eye contact with the thug. Twenty gold to be led to information about the murders. I've got four for a pool, if that's what we decide to do. Maintains eye contact with the man. He glances significantly to the heavies Ajax and Jerome, and at the less obvious and more mysterious sources of strength Long Bo and Ingrid. But he ignores the innocuous gnomes and aces in the hole Telkis and Urdur, giving them each a quick, sly wink. Then again his eyes meet the thug's, while quietly speaking. The price is so high, and the expression on this gentleman's face at the proposal, lead me to believe that he has real information. But at the price of 20 gold. And that may be just to start. This gentleman of course understood everything that I just said, and whatever we'll say now. What do you think?
PCs

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome shakes his head. Even I'm not fool enough to buy a pig in a poke. Keep your money.

WIS: 13 [1d20+4]=6+4=10

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks down at the women sitting around the table, shrugging off their less than hospitable gratitude for his drinks.

"Well, you've figured me out, Liz! You are a sharp ol' tack now, aint you?"

He shakes his head at the one ready to go out in the ally. "Sit down and keep your shall closed please. I wasn't asking for any of the ol' slap and tickle. Surely you ladies are better at your jobs than this? That is some piece of work, there. Mistaking a simple old traveler for a Blackchapel local?"

"I guess I will take my coin and ask another lot if they like free drinks."

He takes his leave, heading back towards the others, where he agrees wholeheartedly with Jerome's opinion, listening for any more tidbits of information he might overhear.

Wis Check (15) [1d20]=12 +4 = nope

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The half-orc shakes his head very slightly, looking directly at their would-be source. "Maybe he's honest, maybe he's not. If he has information, let him give it here. I'm not walking into an ambush."

[1d20+3]=16+3=19 vs. WIS 10

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by jemmus »

Faron
Well, Bold Dell, you eared the council, no barg. Got a duo yeller boys for what you savvy, sooth leaving me but a solo. Schooled on spot.
You heard the group, no deal. I have two gold pieces for what you know, which in truth would leave me with just one. The information told to us right here. Faron doubts the thug will take the deal, and if he does, that he'll tell the truth. Or the whole truth. But it's worth a try.
PCs

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur sips his drink, watching this Dell but understanding little of what has been said. He wonders whether he could fashion some sort of coin trick or other prestidigitation to pacify this thug, but decides against it for now.

Urdur listens to the throng of humanity for additional clues.

WIS check (13) [1d20+2]=8+2=10
Last edited by SocraticLawyer on Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser nods to the cutthroats as Faron speaks. His face gets darker and darker at the prospect of these fools trying to run a play on them. After all they have endured to be standing here his patience is wearing thin....

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”