Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

#61 Post by Scott308 »

ravenn4544 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:04 pm Mouser too follows and stands near the bar - trying to look seedy like the rest. He reads the notice of the murder and tilts his head toward it as he mentions, "Ingrid, best watch your self. Seems women have more to fear here than the usual dive..."
Thank you for your concern, but I do feel that I am able to defend myself a bit better than the average woman- especially when I am surrounded by so many capable men! She gives Mouser a sly grin. Still, one cannot be too careful when in an unfamiliar city.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis feels confident, after all he's been through, that if he weren't obviously non-human he'd fit right in here with the rest of the grungy patrons of the Cross Keys.

Quietly, so only the group can hear, he says, "Order what you want. I've got coin to cover it. Or at least I did when we entered this godsforsaken town. I don't dare check and alert this rabble as to the location of my coin purse..."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by jemmus »

Faron
Friend Telkis, that's the most cheering thing I've heard all day. I'll not refuse a generous offer of food and drink. As my granddad used to say, "Never turn down a gift. If you don't need it, give it to someone who does." He waves to the tavern maid. Your darkest ale, and what's the special of the day? And what will you have, sir Telkis?
Meanwhile he eavesdrops on the tavern guests' conversations, listening for news of recent goings on in wretched Hookhill.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The half-orc accepts the proffered coin with a nod of gratitude and pockets it securely within a pouch at his belt, leaving one hand upon the pouch. If he catches any would-be thieves watching the exchange, he sends them a meaningful glance and taps the handle of his greatsword.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Inferno »

Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Night. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Strangers have come to the dark underbelly of Hookhill.

A slum of unimaginable poverty and vice, a dark bleak labyrinth of narrow alleys, squalor and depravation. Streets choked with the poor and dispossessed; malnutrition, disease and desperation their constant companions. The only relief is the cheap liquor sold in seedy taverns, like the dilapidated public house the strangers have entered, asking questions about unspeakable murder.

Still seeking forgiveness for her unforgiveable sins, Ingrid the Damned asks about the temple of her lapsed faith.

Ajax, Faron and Urdur try to blend in against all odds and eavesdrop on the wretched ruffians, cutthroats and prostitutes of Hookhill.

(Bo, Ingrid and anyone asking questions: please make one CHA check on 1d20+4 if Human or Half-Elf, on 1d20+5 if Half-Orc, or on 1d20+6 if Gnomish.
Ajax, Faron, Urdur and anyone eavesdropping: please make one WIS check on 1d20+4 if Human or Half-Elf, on 1d20+3 if Half-Orc, or on 1d20+2 if Gnomish. Thanks!)

Actions?

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by jemmus »

Faron tries to eavesdrop on the tavern's guests' and staff's conversations. He also listens closely to the local accent and tries to pick it up.
WIS 8[1d20+4]=10+4=14
PCs

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#67 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser too scans the room.

Wis (9) [1d20+4]=13+4=17

Scott308

#69 Post by Scott308 »

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome takes Telkis up on his offer. He orders a mug of wine, drains it in two gulps, and orders a second. This one, he drinks more slowly.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur listens for any useful information.

WIS check (13) [1d20+2]=8+2=10
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Seeing the looks he and Urdur are drawing, Telkis doubts he'll get very far chatting up the patrons. Leaning back in his chair he tries to pick out bits of conversation. It strikes him that the people in this tavern tend to mumble incoherently. He goes about this for some time before realizing he's still wearing his helmet coif.

Eavesdropping WIS Check (8): [1d20+2]=19+2=21

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Inferno »

Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Night. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

In a crowded, smoke-filled public house, filled with the human refuse of a city and those who would prey upon them, the doomed heroes try to learn what they can of the unspeakable acts of the Hookhill Ripper.

Urdur's sharp ears overhear:

"You going to the hanging tomorrow? Should be a good un!"

"Ow. That Ripper's a saucy one, he is. Stealing girls' hearts. Wif a knife. Haw haw haw!"

"An' I'm tellin' you, the city guard are in on it! How else is it they have no leads and no likleys?"

Surrounded by drink, Jerome tries hard not to drink.

Ingrid asks a weary barmaiden whose face is older than its years, "Would you be so kind as to tell me how to find the Temple of Tritherion from here?"

"Oh you poor dear. You're lost ainchu? 'Cross the river in city center, luv. But you can't go lookin' like that... beggin' your pardon. I just mean you have to go lookin' like a proper lady."

After ordering a drink at the bar, Long Bo quietly asks: “What do you know about these horrible murders?”

The barkeep stops and warily looks Bo over.

Then he answers tightly, "What is there to know? Working girls found dead, right ere in Devil's Acre... Blackchapel," he adds, in case the stranger doesn't know the sobriquet of Hookhill's largest slum. "Said to be killed unnatural. But only the gods, the city guard and the coroners know what that means! Been going on for months and no stoppin'."

Bo recalls that two months ago, Brevos and Pip told Bo, Ingrid, Mouser, Telkis and Urdur that they had word of evil happenings in Hookhill. Alas, poor Brevos and Pip. May they rest in peace.

The barkeep continues, rousing Bo from reveries of dead friends. "Last one was found four days ago."

The grey druid knows the winter solstice was four days ago. The shortest day of the year is sacred to druids, witches, and even laymen who no longer understand its significance. The festivals in Hookhill are just ending.

"Them girls there knew one of the deceased," the barkeep nods at a table of huddled women, drinking themselves numb.

Meanwhile, Ajax watches a large, scarred man push himself off the wall, suck at his rotten teeth and look down at Telkis, "Oi. The ol' trouble and strife sent me to bag a little milk for the basin. How 'bout you 'elp me out?"

Faron and Mouser overhear. They know Thieves Cant: "My wife has sent me out for milk for our child. Can you give me some money?"

Actions?

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#75 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Thank you for the directions, the cleric replies to the barmaid. I am one of Tritherion's clerics, and it has been a difficult few months. I'll have to take my chances that the head priest will see me looking as I do- dressing like a proper lady doesn't allow for a long lifespan when facing evil in the world-at-large.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by jemmus »

Faron hears the Thieves Cant and replies to the man, I'll flip you a pair of white ones for your little basin. Skinny enough, yer 'giveness, but my purse ain't far from floatin'. He takes two silver pieces from the purse in his backpack and hands them to the man. Savvy anythin' about this rotter endin' duchesses? Any of the old filthy in it for dem's what nap him?
I'll give you two silver for your baby. It's not much, sorry about that, but I'm pretty broke. Know anything about this villain who's killing working girls? Any money in it for the ones who catch him?
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PCs

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo pulls a few more coins from his purse, ordering another round for himself and whatever the numb working girls are drinking, intending to speak with them next.

"That's really something, aint it? Was there any significance to the times or days the rest of the girls were killed? Four days ago would have been the winter solstice. Have the other murders also occurred on specific dates?"

"Would you also know where one could locate these coroners you mentioned?"

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The half-orc has trouble following the odd cadence of the speech, but he remains alert to any signs of aggression from the rotten-toothed man. If he should prove hostile, Ajax will make his presence known--

"We've little enough coin already," he'll reply. "But plenty of steel. Come here and I'll shove it through what teeth remain to you."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser agrees with Faron’s play. He stands with arms crossed waiting for answer.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur waits at the table while the others learn what they can.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”