Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

#101 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

As the barmaid leaves, Ingrid unsuccessfully tries to follow the conversation Faron is having with an unsavory stranger. The babble of the tavern occupants and the strange phrasing combine to leave her utterly unable to understand anything being said around her.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by ChubbyPixie »

WIS Check (8): [1d20+2]=19+2=21

With all the alien rhyming speak going on, Telkis is having trouble focusing on any conversation at all. From what he does glean, he knows he has no intention of following a man who is almost certainly scamming them, much less paying a small fortune for who knows what information. He sits quietly and waits for developments.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Urson »

Jerome
With an effort, Jerome puts down his wine. He tries to remember the Holy Days- not just for the Cuthbertites, but for the world in general.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Inferno »

Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Night. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

In the thickly crowded tavern, Bold Dell takes Faron's gold pieces and whispers to him and Mouser in the tongue of footpads, waylayers, snakesmen and jackrollers: ("A bloke I know says a member of the royal family has been slumming in Devil's Acre and knocked up a whore, making her bastard child the future King of Gran March! Now the whore and her friends are being offed by agents of the crown to protect the throne. That's why the Ripper will never be caught. I can bring you two to the bloke what told me... for 18 more gold.")

Dell's lips are close enough that they can smell his rotten teeth.

Meanwhile, Urdur watches Bo leave the table of prostitutes in disgust. Then the gnome overhears the huddled women talking:

"Liz! That ol' geezer was ready to buy us drinks all night!"

"Sorry, he just rubbed me the wrong way is all, the dirty creep!"

"Who said he was from Devil's Acre?"

"Don't know. Look, girls, I have to go back out..."
one says grimly.

"...I haven't earned me doss money for the night yet."

"Oh Mary! Be careful!"

One of the forsaken women gets up to leave.

Ingrid intently tries to eavesdrop, to no avail. In resignation, her attention returns and she suddenly realizes her coin purse is missing! She doesn't know how long it's been gone. (subtract all coins from inventory please)

Actions?!

Behind the DM Screen:

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by jemmus »

Faron (Sorry, wording revised for clarity, but same content).
So it's His Hindness and his broodies who are the rotters in all dis, is it, Bold Dell? Sooth in the sound if it, don't you savvy. Dem's what got ending them's what haint, whent them's no more for spittin up the breath tax. A duo well flipped, ami Dell. But doan thin a full tanner is coming down the road dis evning. The council hast spoke, as you eared.
Debil knows in sooth, we haint it, have we?

So it's the king and his family who are the villains in this, is it, Bold Nell? It sounds true doesn't it? The one's who have the money getting rid of the one's who don't when they're more trouble than the taxes they pay. But I don't have another 18 gold, and my friends won't pay it, you heard that. In truth, we don't have it.

Faron notices Ingrid feeling around for her purse and her worried face. What's the brusher working this un, eh? He exchanges glances with Bold Dell and The Mouser. A brusher here's picked up too hevvy a load. What say we lighten it and ease the burden? One of triples for each? And we got my our black-black armor hevvy broodie ready to split logs too. Tosses his head toward Ajax and eye signals him to get in front of an exit door. Maybe the front one, or maybe the back one through kitchen to the scullery. "It's up to you, friend."
Who's the pickpocket working this place? He has just made himself richer. How about we pick his/her own pocket? We can split the proceeds by three.

He sees the working girl rise from the table and start heading toward the street door. He shifts position to prevent or hustle anyone trying to exit that way. Not safe for a lady to be going out. Winks to the Mouser and Bold Dell. Notten we lighten a burden, say?
Not until we find the thief and get the money, what do you say?

Faron hopes his little ruse will do something, anything at all, to break the pattern of the group steadily losing its money and the women steadily losing their lives. Perhaps a little discord in the tavern will shake something loose for the newcomers. That won't necessarily cost him his life.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The big half-orc drifts casually toward the back door, leaning against the frame and crossing his arms, seemingly relaxed and at ease.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#107 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Realizing her purse is missing, the cleric sighs, resigned to her misfortune- proof, once again, that Tritherion is displeased with her. In the morning, she will head to the temple and hopefully then things will begin to take a turn for the better. At least Faron seems to have made a friend- not that he looks all that trustworthy. Then again, best not to judge a book by its cover- the party members aren't looking their best right now, either.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome mutters to himself, counting off feast days and Holy days on his fingers.
Winter Solstice, Planting, Spring Equinox, St Cuthberts, Summer Solstice, Harvest, All Hallows Eve, All Saints, Autumn Equinox...What days am I forgetting?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur hears Jerome recounting the holy days. He thinks for a second before asking the paladin, Say, today isn't some kind of holy day, is it? Or tomorrow?

The gnome continues to listen amongst the crowd for any helpful information.

WIS check (13) [1d20+2]=6+2=8
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser whispers to Faron just loud enough for the stranger to here, "Nice try - he won't help us he's so stubborn. Let's find someone who is more negotiable..." He looks back at the stranger slightly shocked when their eyes meet - and then his own eyes dart quickly away with a cough to help sell the ruse...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#112 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo squeezes his draining purse in his hand tightly as he follows the lone girl to the doorway.

He attempts to watch which way she heads once outside the tavern.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by jemmus »

Faron eyes and assesses the crowd. Tough customers who look they wouldn't think twice about murdering someone just for the boots on his feet. He has second thoughts about preventing the woman, or anyone else, from leaving the tavern. Creating a scene would probably just get him killed for no reason. And possibly his new friends as well.
PCs

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Inferno »

Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Night. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Faron asks Bold Dell in slum-speak, ("Who's the pickpocket working this place?")

Bold Dell replies, ("No telling, mate. This bloody crowd would steal the pennies from your eyes! It's a good thing you met me. I'm the only trustworthy one here!")

Faron says, ("How about we pick his/her own pocket? We can split the proceeds by three.")

("Oi! You said your friends had no money. What is there to split three ways?") Bold Dell replies. Then he nods toward Ingrid, ("Now, if that one there would like to make some easy money, I can arrange it.")

Then to Mouser, ("More negotiable?! All right. For 15 gold I'll take you to the bloke what told me. But no introductions.")

Ingrid sits, resigned to her god's disfavor. Telkis scans the thick crush of wretched men, finding no friendly eyes nor obvious culprits. Ajax moves through the dense crowd to the back door. Everyone he passes stares at his orcish face.

Jerome lists feast days. Urdur recalls that tonight and tomorrow are known in Greyhawk as Winter Solstice End. Sacred to druids, witches and sorcerers, and symbolized by Light and Life, it signifies that days now grow longer. He reminds Jerome.

Then the gnome eavesdrops on the whores again but they've fallen silent, watching with dread one of their number go out alone.

Long Bo follows the fearful young prostitute to the door. Outside, she turns left, past a group of surly men, and into the waiting darkness of the night.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Urson »

Jerome
If that's true, we should be out there,
watching for this madman.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by jemmus »

Faron
You're probably right, Jerome. And I don't think spending more time in this hole is going to do much for us. He looks over to Ajax, shakes his head and indicates with his expression, "I won't work, probably no way to catch the thief. Sorry for your trouble."
PCs

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

The thickly-muscled warrior returns their stares with a grim look on his way to the door. He nods at Faron's stand-down signal with a curt nod and, preferring to remain close to his comrades in this wicked place, rejoins them--his paltry valuables and weaponry under close watch lest another light-fingered one rob him blind.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by SocraticLawyer »

To Jerome, Urdur says, Jerome, would you join me outside for a minute? Whether the paladin comes or not, Urdur follows Long Bo, concerned that the working girl might be attacked.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser nods, "Thanks - but no thanks. Like he said, we don't have kind of coin." He too will keep an eye on the door if it looks like folks are about to head out...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#120 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Still keeping track of his coin purse, Bo walks out behind the woman and stares at her from the street. When the others exit the tavern, he wonders if they should follow her, just in case.

"It might look a little funny if all of us follow."

He decides on a different approach, calling out the womans name from a distance to see if she responds.

"Mary! Mary dear! Wait up, wont you?"

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”