Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 28: The Exorcism

#41 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Haunted Wood, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-four. Past Midnight. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear

Urdur's illusion vanishes into thin air and the doomed heroes follow Bo through the defiled pentagram of the summoning room, and into the stone corridor of the eerie, silent lair.

The second barricade is sundered and beyond it, in the torture chamber, lie massacred wolves and undead.

They move east. Jerome carries Amity and he suddenly remembers with dread the last time he did so, against his will.

Beyond the second door (at 7L) they find the Grey Mouser safe and sound. The heroes carefully search the creepy desolation of the warren.

They find a second bunkroom (3P), another storeroom of foodstuffs and supplies (7P), the other summoning chamber that Mouser had discovered (10P), and an unholy temple with a bloodstained altar (15N), all while gripped by a sensation of ominous foreboding that at any moment the bloodthirsty pack might return.

No door remains unopened. The southwest corner of the temple gives way to the subterranean tunnels that lead back to the cavern of swarming bats, and escape. This is the shortest path out of the jagged hill.

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet.

Region Map:

X marks the wolfpack lair, northwest of the mountain pass.

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/36, Torch
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl, Torch
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 2/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 0/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl, Torch
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#42 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo nods his head solemnly, knowing that the group will likely be better off waiting out the night in here than to face the entire wolfpack out in the wild. Though they are all still pretty healthy, it wont hurt to regain their magic before they travel in the relative safety of tomorrows morning light.

The druid suggests they look through the supplies and figure out a safe area to sleep for the night. He looks into the faces of every one of the people gathered, including the child, trying to determine if his nagging paranoia is warranted.

"I still have a very bad feeling about all of this. That almost seemed too easy, didn't it? Every time we have thought we were doing right by the girl, we have found ourselves slipping from the proverbial frying pan, and landing our sorry asses directly into the fire. I don't want that to happen again! So.....Ingrid, I suggest you attempt to use your magic again, this time to see if you can determine if there are any lingering evil emanations amongst us." Having nothing to hide himself, he asks the group their thoughts. "Would everyone here agree to letting her do that?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis holds up a finger, looks upwards and begins scuttling around, all business. He'll inspect the ceilings throughout the compound, looking for any signs of weakness in the construction that might be collapsed to their advantage in a desperate situation, or that might be sabotaged to block an exit or passage.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser agrees to any magic to scry out evil "It makes sense considering how insidious it has been."

He would spend a bit of time searching the areas newly uncovered for any interesting items or secret exits out. "If we are going to stay here, I think we better barricade these other cave entrances - what if the wolves circle around us to enter the caves here?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Urson »

Jerome
If the priestess is still qualified, she should proceed. But the fog of Evil in this place may still be a problem.
I suggest that we make use of any goods we find in the storage rooms. They seem a likely place to rest if we must stay the night.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur searches the summoning rooms for anything of interest, particularly any arcane tomes. His next stop is the store room, in which he searches for any food, water, wine, or other such items. If he can do so, he examines the stonework in these areas to see if they contain any hidden dangers.

If the store room seems defensible, he helps the others to barricade themselves for the night.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#47 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I fear that Jerome is correct, and if I were to attempt to search for evil emanations, I would be overwhelmed by the unrelenting evil that infects the very air in this place. However, I am willing to give it a try just in case.
Ingrid will cast Detect Evil.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear

Deep within the eerie desolation of the lair of the wolfpack of the Dark Mother, the doomed heroes choose not to flee with their lives. Instead, they will linger, increasing the likelihood that the pack will return to find them there.

In the den's unholy temple of vile blasphemy, they quickly lay plans to fortify their tenuous position. But before they split up to enact them, the grey druid asks Ingrid to use her holy gifts to search for any evil lurking hidden among their number. None of the doomed heroes resist this test.

Ingrid beseeches Trithereon and holds forth her holy symbol that she may be granted the power to see Evil for what it truly is.

First she looks into Long Bo's soul and finds him untainted with wickedness.

Then Urdur the gnome. Neither he nor the tome of forbidden secrets he found in this lair are corrupted by great evil.

Jerome of the Mighty Oak is clean and, still in his arms, so is Amity Mantle, free from possession at last. The grey druid's recent trials have driven him to paranoia, it would seem.

Telkis bears no heinous depravity. Then Ingrid turns to Mouser.

He too is free of evil's black stain, perhaps to Bo's surprise.

Ingrid is about look upon her own self when suddenly something happens. Something hard to comprehend.

Brevos the ranger is suddenly rent asunder... from within.

Slowly at first and then all at once...

...in a crimson deluge of blood and gore and unspeakable writhings.

The ghastly, bloodsoaked ruin of Brevos is thrown down like sheep's clothing from a wolf, and a frightful form emerges from that terrible becoming.

Standing in the ranger's place, adorned in his grisly remains, is the goat-headed demon that Ingrid half-glimpsed as she cast it from Amity Mantle,...

...that appeared in harrowing visions to Jerome in the profane burial grounds high atop the Dark Mountain,...

...that was etched into the diabolical stonegate...

...and that is the Demon of the Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, that the adventurers themselves had unleashed.

Now, here, the doomed heroes feel its malevolence press upon their very minds (Everyone please Save vs Spells to act freely, at +2 due to Jerome's aura) as the inhuman horror speaks in a lilting mockery of human speech:

"Silly little playthings, I told you that you are a gift to The Nothing."

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 5 feet.

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl, Torch
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 2/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl, Torch
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Detect Evil (Ingrid): Duration: 70 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur shakes off the influence of the foul demon. He hopes he can trick the demon to leaving this plane.

Save vs spell (12) [1d20+6]=16+6=22

These mortal vermin are not worth the sacrifice.
Return to your own dimension and consolidate your power there.

Casts Hypnotism.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will stop in his tracks, somehow, even after all they’ve seen, utterly shocked, and grip the hilt of Cranach. His fingers twitch.

Save vs. Spells (13): [1d20]=20

He knows his job. To occupy the creature while those with magic and prayer subdue or destroy it. If Urdur’s incantation does not seem to work, he’ll attack:

Morningstar +1 (THAC0 17): To Hit:[1d20+1]=7+1=8, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1]=5+1=6, vs L [1d6+2]=3+2=5
Last edited by ChubbyPixie on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser stares blankly at the abomination - his nightmares become reality.

Save vs Spells (12) [1d20+2]=6+2=8

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#52 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo tries not to vomit when he sees the body of his old friend Brevos suddenly spawn this horrible demon. The druid contemplates simply running away from this place, out into a night filled with fangs and claws, but he is somehow able to shake that thought from his shattered mind.

Save vs. Spells (14) [1d20]=15

Unaffected by the demons possessive, repetitive words, Long Bo steps behind Urdur as he casts his spell, starting up one of his own. Praying to the Shalm that his tiny children will be able to keep the beast distracted as the others chip away at it, the druid calls forth his insect friends once again, pointing at the demon once they arrive.

Casts Summon Insects

Scott308

#53 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric is livid seeing the demon burst forth from the body of yet another fallen friend. I am so SICK of you! Thrusting her holy symbol at the demon, she orders it to leave. The power of Tritherion has already cast you out once. You are a lowly demon, most despicable of all creatures. How DARE you defy the will of a GOD! I command you to return to the miserable pit of hell from which you crawled and leave the good folk of this world alone forevermore!
Save vs. Spells (14): [1d20]=16
That's a success even without the +2 bonus!
Turn undead [1d20]=1
...and that one's not so great.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Save VS Spell: 14 [1d20]=16

[1d20+1]=19+1=20 melee Longsword L[1d12+1]=4+1=5

Jerome doesn't hesitate, but charges the demon, striking with his longsword. St Cuthbert of the Cudgel, guide my blade!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear

A duke of Hell has come to Oerth through a doorway of flesh and blood; Brevos' flesh and blood. And Amity Mantle screams.

Mouser's mind is remade by terrible enlightenment and he falls to his knees before the magnificent depravity of the Lord of Pandemonium.

"I am a gift to The Nothing! The Nothing!" Mouser cries in ecstasy, exposing his neck for the sacrificial blade. "I hail The Nothing and freely offer myself unto it!"

Mercifully, none of his companions slit his throat... yet.

"Come forth, my noble atrocities!" commands the great goat-headed devil and impossibly, the pitch shadows of the cavern vomit out a howling maelstrom of teeth and claws; horrors natural and unnatural!

The wolfpack of the Dark Mother has been summoned!

Suddenly, Urdur the hypnotist mesmerizes the daemonic hellion!

"These mortal vermin are not worth the sacrifice. Return to your own dimension and consolidate your power there." Urdur intones!

The demon's laughter is a terrible thing to harken. "'These?' My sweet slave, you should choose your words more carefully when dealing with demons. I shall spare these. But not you. You shall come with me to regions infernal and help me consolidate my power," it chuckles with delicious malice.

"The power of Tritherion has already cast you out once. You are a lowly demon, most despicable of all creatures. How DARE you defy the will of a GOD! I command you to return to the miserable pit of hell from which you crawled and leave the good folk of this world alone forevermore!" cries Ingrid the exorcist from behind her outstretched holy symbol. But now her sacred words have no power!

Then the grey druid implores the Shalm for aid in this dire hour of need and, in answer, the stone floor erupts as two gargantuan insects burst up from under the ground!

Telkis glares at the demon but stays his terrible wrath. Jerome however cannot suffer such evil to live. The young, white haired paladin lunges up the steps to the unholy altar and drives his sword into the heinous embodiment of blasphemy, wounding it with enchanted steel!

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 5 feet. Wa, b, c, etc. are wolves. W1, 2, 3, etc are man-shaped horrors.

Behind the DM Screen:
Initiative: Party: [1d6]=3, Monster: [1d6]=5 Monster wins.
Demon Saves vs Spells: [1d20]=1 Fails.
Demon has already used his action this round, and cannot obey Urdur's suggestion yet.

Bo: Flying insects? (70%): [1d100]=80 No.
Bo: Giant Ants? (30%): [1d100]=26 Yes.
Bo: Number of Giant Ants: [1d4]=2
Neither the summoned wolfpack nor the insects can attack this round.

PC Status:
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 2/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl, Torch on ground
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Detect Evil (Ingrid): Duration: 69 rounds.
Hypnotism (Urdur): Duration: 4 rounds.
Summon Insects (Bo): Duration: 5 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome doesn't hesitate, but attacks again. St. Cuthbert, Holy Warrior of the Heavens, strike you DOWN!

[1d20+1]=13+1=14 melee Longsword L[1d12+1]=1+1=2

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#57 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo darts away from the wolves as fast as he can, (moving towards Amity in between Ingrid and Telkis) in hopes of escaping their bloody wrath. Unsure what is happening with the demon and the illusionist, he points his giant ants towards the closest adversary. W2? He tries to comfort the girl as the horror plays out before them.

If the wolf pack gets the jump on the druid, preventing him from escaping, he directs his ants before doing whatever he must to defend himself.
Spear Attack [1d20]=11 Damage [1d6]=3

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur tries his best to maintain a poker face, as if a trip to the underworld as the slave of a demon lord was the intended effect of his spell. He turns his attention, and his magic, upon the wolves.

You know that we are your dear friends!
The beast that enslaved you seeks to harm us! Please help!

Casts Hypnotism on as many of the wolves as possible.

As he casts his spell, Urdur moves as close as he reasonably can to Jerome. Hoping to get within the 10' radius of his PfE, in case that helps.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear

"We are a gift to The Nothing! The Nothing! We freely give all that we have and all that we are unto It!" Mouser weeps with joy.

Jerome's blessed blade lands another blow, leaving barely a scratch upon the heinous aristocrat of Hades as it stalks toward Urdur, its every step smoking against the ground.

"Come with me, my sweetest slave, to the lowest spheres, to my execrable, monstrous home where we shall dwell forever."

"I have such sights to show you."

The demon touches Urdur and there is a sudden flash of fire and the stench of sulfur, as if for a moment the gates of Hell itself have opened!

And then the demon is gone! But Urdur remains, thanks to the protective aura of Jerome of the Mighty Oak!

Mouser instantly falls out of his trance!

And then the murderous pack is upon them!

The heroes' death is all but certain. Harrowing barks and howls deafen them beneath an onslaught of bright white fangs without ending!

But miraculously, none cut the doomed heroes, shielded as they are by the mercy of St. Cuthbert!*

They retaliate with righteous fury! Jerome nearly kills a feral wolf that attempted to pounce on him (Wa)! Long Bo pierces another with his long spear (Wc)! Urdur mesmerizes one of the wolves (Wb)! And Ingrid strikes a bone-splintering blow upon one of the man-shaped bestial horrors (W2) before gigantic rampaging ants engulf it!

It and the pack of the Dark Mother howl in bewildered and impotent rage!

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 5 feet. Wa, b, c, etc. are wolves. W1, 2, 3, etc are man-shaped horrors.

*Behind the DM Screen:
Initiative: Party: [1d6]=3, Monsters: [1d6]=4 Monsters win.
Demon walks away from melee, so Jerome's attack rolls are used in a free opportunity attack against It.
Casters may move 1" and cast. Demon closes with Urdur, and must make a successful roll to hit in order to have its spell affect him, like rolling "to hit" while casting Cause Light Wounds.
Demon lays a hand upon Urdur: [1d20+2]=19+2=21 Touches him. But Jerome's Protection of Evil saves Urdur.
Likewise it defends against summoned monsters too, like the wolfpack that was summoned here by the Demon! By luck or by fate, all the PCs are currently within that radius! :) Wow.
Urdur's Hypnotism: Number of wolves affected: [1d6]=2
Wolves Save vs Hypnotism: [1d20]=20, [1d20]=8 One saves.
Jerome attacks Wa: [1d20+1]=9+1=10, damage: [1d8+1]=6+1=7 Hits.
Telkis attacks W2: [1d20+1]=2+1=3, damage: [2d4+1]=8+1=9 Misses.
Ingrid attacks W2: [1d20+2]=15+2=17, damage: [1d6+3]=5+3=8 Hits.

PC Status:
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl, Torch on ground
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Detect Evil (Ingrid): Duration: 68 rounds
Hypnotism (Urdur): Target: Demon. Duration: 3 rounds
Hypnotism (Urdur): Target: One wolf (Wb). Duration: 5 rounds
Summon Insects (Bo): Duration: 4 rounds

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#60 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Heartened by the seeming reversal of fortunes, the cleric brings her mace down on the skull of one of the wolf-men.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”