Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 27: Mark of the Beast

#141 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-three. Night. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear

Beneath the writhing sky, Ingrid Esthof opens the dark bottle and carefully sniffs at the liquid within. The skilled healer believes it to be a medicine, used during torture to cruelly prolong consciousness... and agony.

The grey druid eerily converses in the language of owls to Nicodemus, asking what the nocturnal predator has spied to the south.

The owl replies, "Yonder, not far, a large swarming flock of Men. Hooting, screeching, shrieking and flapping their wings around a great burning fire. Amongst them art wolves."

Brevos the ranger rises from the miasma of tracks in the snow. He grimly indicates the same direction, where lurks the terrible thing that Amity Mantle has become.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/36
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 2/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl, Torch
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Invisibility (Urdur): Target: self.
Speak With Animals (Bo): Duration: 9 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser considers with a shake of his head after Bo explains what the owl had to say, "Swarming group of men? Do we want to take this one on or avoid it? If went around, though, then what? That witch of a girl may be there"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur considers the new information. We dare not try a frontal assault against them. I have spells that may help with subterfuge, however.

I can make another invisible like me. Or I can conjure a phantasm in whatever form.

Perhaps if Long Bo were invisible, he could approach unseen and call upon the Shalm to Entagle our foes...?

If he has time while the group deliberates its course of action, Urdur reviews the third tome taken from the cave.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Urson »

Jerome
We must do something to disrupt their rituals. Perhaps an idea will present itself when we arrive there? Jerome is back to fidgeting and quick, jerky movements- anxious to be doing something.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#145 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo shudders at the news from the owl.

"We all know what must be done."

The druid tells Nicodemus to fly ahead of them so that he can warn of anything they might not be able to see from the ground.

"Let us get a little closer to them before we start making a battle plan. We will need to be organized if we are to survive a fight with their entire group."

With that, Bo starts moving quickly towards the danger.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#146 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric quickly puts the stopper back into the bottle and hurries after the druid. Any planning will apparently need to wait.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I can take many before I succumb, but can they even be killed? We couldn't. Is there a way to make them stay down?" says Telkis as he trundles along with the others. He goes as fast as his short legs will carry him. "Maybe to be sure we must feed them 'the Remedy?'"

"After we take it again, of course," he adds.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-three. Midnight. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear

Before Urdur can examine the last forsaken volume, the doomed heroes follow Brevos and Nicodemus deep into a wood older than time imaginable.

Overgrown and forbidding, thick and dark, unknowable and mysterious. They tread through a primeval wilderness untouched by Men or their quaint notions.

Atop a dizzying slope is a clearing. There, stand ancient stones erected before history began, open to the endless black gulfs of infinity.

Within the circle of towering megaliths roars an immense bonfire, surrounded by countless shadows.

The figures leap and dance and howl in dark ecstasy. Wolves frolic among them.

Some hundred yards away, from hiding, the heroes see no sign of Amity Mantle. But they know the full moon will soon rise.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 2/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:

Player Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome goes white. We cannot allow them to continue... but we would be slaughtered in seconds....
He changes the grip on his sword, his knuckles white.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis weighs the odds. "Jerome is right. We cannot win in a straightforward fight. We need a plan... Anyone have a spell for this situation?" He looks hopefully to the spell casters.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#151 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I have no magic that can do much harm to the wolves, but I could cast a spell of silence on an object, a stone perhaps, that could be carried. If we can find Amity at the edge so we may sneak up behind her we could grab her and try to escape. I can create darkness to obscure our retreat, but we would not be able to see through it, either. Or, should we prefer, instead of darkness I could place an explosive rune on the ground to harm whoever may follow us.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome has been wishing for some sort of fireball. Sister, could your Rune be placed on an object, and then tossed into the fire?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#153 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo sees the conflagration and smiles wickedly, whispering to the others as he steeples his long fingers.

"I can douse that fire completely, and blind them for a moment in the process, but what will come of that I cant say."

(please see ooc thread for discussion about planning out this round for maximum effect)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Inferno »

Beyond the Wolfpack's Lair, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Freezing cold, clear

Alone and of their own volition, Mouser and Urdur venture deeper into the dark, unknowable forest, moving inexorably toward the ageless standing stones beneath the swirling abyss, and the fate that awaits them there.

The dense wood and gusting air is alive and wild with sorceries potent and dark!

Urdur is deafened by a blessing from Ingrid that silences his footfalls. But Mouser cannot help but hear the ghastly cacophony that rises louder with their every hesitant step. Carried on a chill wind, it is like unto the sounds of Hell itself. Harrowing screams, soul-chilling chants, murderous barks, spine-tingling laughter, all emanating from the writhing black joy around that dancing devil flame.

Gruesome human sacrifices hang inside the ageless stone monoliths out of time without measure. And a familiar shadow burns deep within the great leaping pyre.

The blasphemous, nameless rite is building; relentlessly growing toward a fearsome climax the two conjurers suspect is aligned with the rising of the full moon. Then these euphoric devil-worshippers might transform into things bestial, savage and not of this world!

Witnessing the frightful tableau, this riotous maelstrom of souls condemned, Urdur suddenly remembers a desperate warning he and Telkis received in the village of the damned from the man that brutally slaughtered them. At the time it was dismissed as the demented rantings of a lunatic. But now, in the sight of this, it seems eerily prescient; a dire prophesy that presaged this very moment... foretold by one who might be here now!

Inferno wrote:

"Harken unto me! Thy very lives depend upon it!...

"The black coven shall never die, waiting til the stars come right again, and the secret witches and wolves shall rouse great Shub-Niggurath from her resting place beneath the dark mountains to revive her subjects and resume her rule of Oerth!"

"The time shall be easy to know, for then mankind will have become as the Great Old Ones themselves; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and reveling in joy!"

"Then the liberated Old Ones shall teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the Oerth will flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom and madness and horror!"

Dread realization overtakes Urdur but he cannot speak. His stomach shrinks and the hair on the back of his neck stands up. Having freed from the lost temple of evil, the ancient demon that now possesses the child Amity Mantle, was it now within the black coven's power to free Shub-Niggurath, the Dark Mother, from beneath these accursed mountains?!? Had everything been building to this?

Frail comprehension struggles to grasp vast cycles of stars, life and reality of which Man's meager conceptions have no part.

From hiding, unaware of Urdur's dawning horror, nerve-shattered Mouser counts some half dozen cavorting wolves... so far. And there, at the center of the unspeakable black mass, he sees Amity Mantle!

On all fours and inverted, she is no longer human now.

The two scouts have had enough! They flee back to the party and breathlessly confess all that they have seen!

Actions?!

PC Status:
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 4/5 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 2/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl

PC Magic:
Silence, 15' Radius (Ingrid): Target: pebble. Duration: 5 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo feels no safer after hearing the report from his friends.

"I agree Master Telkis, and the sooner the better."

As they await the clerics answer, Bo looks for an area where he can get as close to the mass of people as he can with the least likelihood of being seen. Any large tree or a rock formation will do nicely.

"Do we still like the idea of spreading out about half way around them before I deal with that fire?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Urson »

Jerome

Jerome gnaws at a dirty thumbnail. Better to do something right now than the best thing three hours too late. Let's go! he whispers urgently.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Inferno »

Beyond the Wolfpack's Lair, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Freezing cold, clear

Under cover of the ancient, mysterious wood, the heroes are stunned by what their scouts report.

The grey druid spies a good position for their assault upon the horrific congregation of the damned.

"We'll never get Amity out of there," laments Telkis. "Will the scroll work from here, Ingrid? We can protect you while you read it."

"Would that it could," comes Ingrid's sober, mournful reply. "Telkis, I must be within ten feet of Amity at all times. Once begun, the ritual of Exorcism is a battle of wills between myself and the infernal demon that possesses the child. It cannot be interrupted or else it is spoiled and useless. A well-thrown rock could break my concentration and end all our hopes. And the ritual could take up to 16 hours to complete."

Actions?!

PC Status:
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 4/5 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl

PC Magic:
Silence, 15' Radius (Ingrid): Target: pebble. Duration: 4 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will nod grimly at Bo’s suggestion of spreading out, then carefully begin to reposition himself clockwise and to the east around the perimeter, remaining unobserved, hopefully, in all the satanic chaos.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Glad to hear that plans are being finalized, Jerome picks a spot that will put him near Amity when they charge.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”