Chapter 6: To Whatever End

Inferno
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: To Whatever End

#161 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil casts Cure Light Wounds on himself, twice.

Cure Light Wounds [2d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

Cure Light Wounds [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#162 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco checks over the possessions and gear of the fallen, hoping to find more of the strange and disgusting orc draught he discovered earlier.

"I hope that everything we find in here doesn't smell as bad as these brutes. Honestly, have they no concept of bathing whatsoever?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#163 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen joins the search of the recently deceased. When that is done, she joins the others in a search of the room
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo, unable to comprehend the scope of the place, wanders to the southeast alcove and sees what catches his attention there.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#165 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Wrinkling his nose at the fetid stench, the dwarf responds to Folco's query. The only things that smell worse than this lot is this lot when they're dead. I'll put up with the odor if it means we don't have to deal with them anymore. He then assists with the search.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Inferno »

Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 24, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Six. Midday. Misty, cold

Gilly, Vindo and Red venture eastward and explore the cavernous halls of the lost dwarf city of Erebor, treading reverently beneath towering dwarf-kings of old. They discover an immense stairwell to the northeast, descending into darkness. Slowly rising up from it float tendrils of black smoke!

Behind them, as Gilwennen and Therone stand guard, Rumil heals his injuries with Elvish magic! (+10hp) Elbenwin finds no tracks in the timeless tiles. Naruthirdor's fiery spirit dissipates.

And Elbenarin, Folco, Glasik, Naruthirdor and Tinuwen search the gruesome remains of the wicked Mouth of Sauron...

...but carefully. For even a dead sorcerer is not without peril.

The robes of the Mouth of Sauron are impossibly black. They seemingly absorb all light and are disturbing to look upon.

A ring of black steel is upon his left hand, a black scabbarded longsword on his hip, and around his neck is a vile necklace bearing an amulet of the lidless eye.

His lofty helm is an evil mockery of the crowns of the kings of Numenor.

It bears the words "Lammen Gorthaur," Sindarin for "Voice of the Dread Abomination."

In his possession are silver coins minted in Mordor, and official papers identifying him as emissary and messenger of Sauron the Great.

But secreted on his nefarious person are handwritten pages in the letters of the Black Speech of Mordor. Hastily written notes of some kind, that read:

The year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Isildur, the High King of Gondor, at the finding of the Ring of Power. "It has come to me, the One Ring. It shall be an heirloom of my Kingdom. All those who follow in my bloodline shall be bound to its fate, for I shall risk no hurt to the Ring. It is precious to me, though I buy it with a great pain. The markings upon the band begin to fade. The writing, which at first was as clear as red flame, has all but disappeared – a secret now that only fire can tell."

Then, separately, a circle of runes.

In the Dark Tongue of Mordor, they read: "Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Translated: "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

Alone among the Company, the elves Naruthirdor and Tinuwen recall the ancient lore of The One Ring of Power, created by Sauron; bound to him, and he to it. And that the One Ring fell out of all knowledge thousands of years ago and remains lost to history. They share their wisdom with The Company in grave whispers.

Actions?

Map:

Behind the DM Screen:
We had previously rolled dice to determine who of the Company knew the lore of the One Ring: viewtopic.php?p=502536#p502536
It was Naruthirdor and Tinuwen.

Anyone who can speak both Quenya (High Elvish) and Orcish can read the Black Speech of Mordor.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 32/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 8/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 11/31, Torches on ground
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
Bless (Naruthirdor): Target: The Company. Duration: 1 round. +1 to hit and +1 to morale.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly snorts and shakes her head. "Vinderdonk, me thinks we done found the way ta tha wyrm's hidey hole. Reckon we outta tell tha others, eh?" she says to Vindo, butchering his name.
"Red, go fetch tha others and tell 'em ta hurry. Bet ol' Smaug knows we be on his doorstep."
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Once healed Rumil moves over to the others and looks over what they found. "Is any of it a help to us now?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by wolfpack »

Why does the vile servant of the dark lord carry notes about this one ring, and why an account of great Isildur. We all know the tale of how he cut the fingers from the hand of the dark lord with the remains or Narsil and took the ring as his own, but the ring was lost when he was beset by orcs and tried to cross the river.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#170 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco's eyes grow wide at the words of the wild ranger. He points at the black ring on the dead Mouth's hand.

"You don't suppose that ring is the..........nah, couldn't be. Could it?"

Using his blade, and whiteout touching anything else, he attempts to remove the finger on which the ring is worn.

"Whatever these items are, they all look evil and tainted. Does anyone think they might aid us in any way against the......errmmmmm......well......you know." He points in the direction of the tendrils of black smoke wafting up from the stairs.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by wolfpack »

Nay wee one if that were the ring the dark lord himself would ave taken it. But it could yet be an item of power. perhaps we take the finger with the ring on it until we can detrmine if there is magic. same with the amulet amulet. wrap them in cloth and keep them covered.

Elbenwin will carefully wrap the items without touching them and take the notes as well.

If we ever again encounter gandalf perhaps he will have some idea.

Scott308

#172 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

We shouldn't leave anything behind that might be of use to the forces of darkness. The dwarf will wrap the sword and scabbard carefully, attaching it to his pack.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone moves toward the western end of the hall, her attention still focused on the sounds and smells around her.
FA FO

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Inferno »

Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 24, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Six. Midday. Misty, cold

Beneath the Lonely Mountain, in the vast and forsaken dwarf-halls of Erebor, Gilly believes she's found the path to the dragon, Smaug. She sends faithful Red to her companions.

Therone edges west beneath looming dwarf-kings of old. Steel bared, the elf warrior finds no sign of life, just the all pervading stench of sulphurous fumes that choke the towering rooves.

Behind her, Folco cautiously cuts the black steel ring from the sorcerous hand of the Mouth of Sauron.

Glasik the dwarf slowly gathers the evil emissary's ebon-sheathed sword.

Elbenwin wraps up the amulet of the lidless eye, careful not to touch it. The Dunedan ranger also collects the handwritten lore of how one might recognize the fabled, long lost Ring of Power of the Dark Lord Sauron.

Actions?

Map:

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 32/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 8/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 11/31, Torches
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#175 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Do we take the route that may lead us to the dragon right now, or do we search these other halls? We don't know what else is up here- there could be additional enemies that would then be at our backs, or ancient dwarven treasures that could aid us as we move further on.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone looks up at the dwarf stonework and statues, admiration plain on her face, as she returns to the others.

I mislike leaving possible dangers at our backs- Let us search the other halls and corridors before we disturb the Wyrm.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"In this place I think it best to defer to our Dwarven allies."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by wolfpack »

Putting the items away Elbenwin joins the others.

If there is a chance the wyrm does not know of our presence yet it may be best to take him now before he becomes aware.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin readies himself for what's to come. "I, too, defer to the dwarves knowledge and guidance here. It is indeed prudent to ensure our backs our protected. if we need to flee while injured - it would the be death of us"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#180 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco wraps the ring in an old handkerchief that he never leaves home without before dropping it into his pocket.

He looks around at the vastness of the dwarven complex.

"Do we intend to investigate the entire city? I don't want to meet this wyrm anymore than the rest of you, but I thought haste was of most import."

The hobbit is fine accepting the lead of the dwarves as well, but wonders if the tales he has heard about their greed is fueling their desire to search for treasure instead of accepting the fate that has been put before the fellowship.

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”