Chapter 6: To Whatever End

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

"Your men, my lord, will follow you to whatever end," said Gamling.
"To whatever end," repeated Theoden. "Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?"
-The Two Towers

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Afternoon. Cloudy, cool

The eagles are coming! The eagles are coming!

Having won the legendary weapons that smote Ancalagon the Black, the Company returned to the orc-choked vale to be snatched from the jaws of certain death!

By the time the scattering orc host realize it's not an attack but an escape, the giant eagles and their precious burdens have sailed beyond the range of arrow, spear and vengeful curses.

Up, up, up the Company soar in the grip of gigantic talons! Some laughing, some shouting, some hesitant, some joyous; all flying!

The emerald shadow of the forest canopy falls away and so do the Mountains of Mirkwood as they plunge upward into the sky, plummeting through cloud and wind, up into the dazzling light of the golden sun!

But their breathless exhilaration is short-lived. From this dizzying vantage, high above the world, the dread handiwork of Sauron is laid bare, especially to the eyes of the elves. To the north and the south, Mirkwood burns! And in the distant south, the black fumes of Mordor reach out their fearsome tentacles to cover eastern Gondor in darkness and terror.

Middle-earth is falling before the Dark Lord's might.

The greatest of the majestic birds speaks. "I am Gwaihir and I bear grim tidings from Gandalf the White."

The elves of the Company know that in Sindarin, his name means "Wind-lord."

"In this most desperate of hours, he bid that we find you and bear you, and bear you we shall, to the Lonely Mountain in the Desolation of Smaug."

Actions?!

Wilderland Map:

Dotted red line marks the Company's journey.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 11/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 26/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 7/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 16/31
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: To Whatever End

#2 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo clings to his bird's claw with white knuckles. "Well let's not just flit here like lazy kites. Away to the Mountain! Will you help us slay Smaug? He seems more your size than ours, by the sound of him."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil does his best to hang on and not mess up the eagles flight.

Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by Old Duergar »

Naruthirdor

Dazzled by the wondrous vista and blinded by the glorious ray of the sun, Naruthirdor is caught between sheer exaltation and grim despair.

With as much strength as his voice can muster and struggling to breathe at the impossible heights, the Elf clasps the giant Eagle's mane as hard as he can and shouts, addressing Gwaihir: "O Windlord, scion of the great Thorondor, we are thankful for your timely rescue; else we were done for at the hands of that foul throng."

Stopping for a moment to catch his breath, the Elf shouts anew: "What is the purpose of such an instruction as laid by the one once known as Mithrandir? I look at the very skies and eyries you have raised yourself as lord upon and my heart is filled with hope. Yet under our very feet a dark tapestry unfolds; if the very Eryn Galen is consumed by flames fiery and if Mordor's accursed tendrils choke the Men of Gondor, how will a foray of this Company to the Desolation of Smaug aid the cause of the Free Peoples?"
Last edited by Old Duergar on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone stays as still as she can, not wanting to accidentally twist loose from the Eagle's grip. She weeps silently when she sees the visible spread of the Dark Lord's power.
FA FO

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen thanks the eagles for their timely arrival. She prepares herself mentally to confront Smaug.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco screams and squeals a lot at first, but eventually gets used to the idea of flying. He studies the vast area spread out below them carefully as they travel towards the Lonely Mountain, trying to remember landmarks or other interesting topography that hasn’t yet been spoiled by the dark lords minions.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

The dwarf keeps his eyes tightly shut so he doesn't have to see how unnaturally far from the ground they are. But after a while, curiosity gets the better of him, and he opens one eye juuuust a crack to get a quick peek...then opens both eyes wide in shock and excitement when he sees how small things on the ground appear! The lords of the skies seem to know what they are doing, although he does wonder if the grip on him is secure enough; it is quite different lifting an armored Dwarf and picking up a Hobbit, after all. Holding still to lessen the chances of being dropped, he can't even imagine what surprises this grand, dangerous adventure is yet to reveal.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin remains grim and quiet on the flight to the mountain. He tries to recall all he can of the lore and history of the mountain.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by wolfpack »

Then take us to the accursed lizard so we may lay waste to him.

Gondor realm of my forefathers burns and under the threat of shadow of Smaug they have little chance to beat back the dark lords advance. If we can slay the dread dragon we may yet see the spirits of the Numenorean rise and they could perhaps still blunt the dark lords forces.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly squeaks like a mouse when snatched up in the talons of the giant eagle. She frantically looks for Red, hoping he is not left behind. As the eagles quickly gain altitude, Gilly shuts her eyes tightly and doesn't open them, even when she hears the talk of the Lonely Mountain and the dreaded Smaug. But since this was Gandalf's idea, she figures she will have a few words for him when they land!
Winter is coming...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

High Above Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Afternoon. Cloudy, cool

And so it was that Gwaihir the Wind Lord and some dozen eagles came unlooked-for to the Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing to aid the Company and help them on their quest to the Lonely Mountain.

High above the world now, they soar.

Vindoboduoc asks the giant eagles, "Will you help us slay Smaug? He seems more your size than ours, by the sound of him."

"Alas, no, little one," answers Gwaihir.

"The world burns and its need is great. After completing this task, we are urgently needed elsewhere. The Nazgul now command winged beasts and terrible. Besides, eleven great heroes should be more than enough for one dragon!"

Naruthirdor inquires, "How will a foray of this Company to the Desolation of Smaug aid the cause of the Free Peoples?"

Gwaihir replies, "I know not. But ever are the plans of wizards shrouded in mystery. All I know is that it is of great import to the white pilgrim, and that is enough for me. What does your heart tell you, friend of wizards?"

Naruthirdor remembers well the enigmatic words of Gandalf the White, seemingly spoken a year ago, rather than merely five days:

Glasik the dwarf asked the wizard, "Has terrible Smaug awakened to cast his shadow upon the land once more?"

"Yes," says Gandalf. "Unless there any here with courage enough to avenge themselves upon him. And, in doing so, avert the dark course of this world."

"What does that mean?" asked King Legolas of the Woodland Realm.

"None of this was meant to be. Perhaps it is some dread device of Sauron's. I cannot tell," Gandalf answered. "I'm afraid, Legolas Greenleaf, son of Thranduil, that such questions must go unanswered for now. Will you trust me?"

"Of course, Gandalf. To the ends of the earth," Legolas pledged.

Gandalf said, "We must direct the Enemy's attention away from this young company. In them, all our hope must rest...
"Very well. Your journey begins. Upon it, you must make haste. Keep your quest a secret. The Enemy's spies are everywhere. I shall join you when and where I can. And remember. This task is appointed to you. If you do not find a way, no one will."

Hours pass in thought and flight.

Therone grieves at the advance of Evil across the world. Ever the optimist, Folco focuses his sight on regions that aren't aflame or engulfed in shadow. Glasik dares to open his eyes as Gilly holds tight to Red. Elbenarin regrets he knows little of Erebor, the mysterious and lost dwarven city Under the Mountain, long the domain of Smaug the Terrible. Elbenwin yearns to avenge himself upon the fell dragon. Tinuwen prepares herself mentally for the frightful confrontation to come.

They reach the eastern border of Mirkwood as the sun sinks slowly in the West.

Onward they sail.

Actions?!

Wilderland Map:
Dotted red line marks the Company's journey.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 11/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 26/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 7/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 16/31
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Surprised at how thrilling the ride is, Glasik the dwarf continues to hold as still as he can to ensure the eagle does not drop him.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by wolfpack »

Great eagle are you going to see gandalf after you deposit us at the desolation of smaug. we have with us a orb, an orb that seems to be able to communicate with the dark one with touched. we do not know what to do with it, but the wizard may be able to use it against him.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil continues to hang on and not mess up the eagles flight.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone watches the landscape pass, gradually relaxing as she gains confidence in the Eagle's grip. Ever pragmatic, and a warrior above all, she sleeps.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco cries a little at the sight of the destruction below, but blames it on the cold air, if anyone notices.

"So, if we are truly here to slay this ancient beast, perhaps you eagles would know something of its weaknesses? Does it actually.....have any weakness? I have always heard that such creatures can fall victim to their own arrogance. Is that true?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly tries not to puke on Red.
Red tries not to puke on Gilly.
Pissing themselves, however, is a given.
Winter is coming...

Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Old Duergar »

"If the words of Mithrandir shall suffice for the scion of Thorondor, then they shall certainly be more than enough for my likes.", the Elf bows towards the great Eagle Lord, unsure if his wind-hindered attempt was noticed by Gwaihir.

"Permit me one last question, Lord. What are we to expect in the Desolation? Has the terrible Smaug's awakening roused other dark beasts and fell things? Does he haunt the Desolation alone or may we expect further resistance than the Dragon himself?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin scans the horizon before landing. Spying the lake ahead of the mountain he ponders an approach to their goal. "Perhaps we should pass through the town, there.. Equip our selves for the journey - food, water... information perhaps? Anyone familiar with that town?"

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”