Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 26: The Possession of Amity Mantle

#81 Post by Inferno »

A Ramshackle Cabin, Banemourne, the Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty-one. Long Before Dawn. Friday, December 2nd, 576 CY
Freezing cold, overcast, windy.

In the light of the raging flames, the wolfpack surrounds Amity Mantle in unholy veneration, barking and howling with murderous joy.

Surrounded by fire, blasphemy and evil, the paladin of St Cuthbert heals himself of his grievous injuries. (+6hp)
Brevos stops Telkis' bleeding, saving his life.

"Follow the leader," sings Amity as she leads the wolves away.

The wolf that been Pyotr Whitetip asks, "Whad about dem?" of the heroes that have not yet fled for their lives.

The pack leader smiles as they depart, triumphant. "Who? Thy friends that freed the demon from its aeons-long bondage and delivered it unto us? They have proven most useful. I was wise to spare them.

"Let them be. They bear The Gift already. They are broken, scattered, hopeless. Soon enough they shalt join with us."
He glances at the moon. "It won't be long now."

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 5 feet. X = Unconscious or Dead.

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 4/36
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 4/19, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/25, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 1/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 10/20, Laying Hands: 0/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/38, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 0/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: -7/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 1/11, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil (Ingrid): Target: Amity. Duration: 17 rounds.
Pass Without Trace (Bo): Target: self. Duration: 5 rounds.
Blur (Urdur): Target: self. Duration: 2 rounds. -4 to be hit, then -2 to be hit. +1 save vs Magic.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome draws his sword, hissing through his teeth as the hilt burns his palm. He follows the wolves, trying to stay hidden. He silently mouths prayers to St. Cuthbert, asking for guidance and blessing. If any of the others look his way, he'll gesture for them to join him.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos hefts the gnome on his shoulder and joins the others.

those who have not taken the wolvesbane need to do so now.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Exhausted beyond measure, Urdur stays with the group, away from the flames. What the heck are we going to do now, he thinks.

The villagers are going to be pissed.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#85 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Seeing Brevos carrying the unconscious body of Telkis, Ingrid is momentarily relieved to see some of those left behind joining them. But not everyone has made it this far. With great concern she asks about the others. What of Rudolph and Jerome? Are they coming, as well?

She will then use the last of her spells to heal Telkis.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos gravely shakes his head as he collapses in the snow.

the child is possessed by a demon, she has left with the wolves. Jerome appears to be under her spell, as I was throwing telkis from the window I saw her take Jeromes dagger and kill rudolph. There was nothing I could do.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Inferno »

Amid howls and barks of unholy devotion, Jerome hears the alpha wolf say of the heroes, "Let them be. They bear The Gift already. They are broken, scattered, hopeless. Soon enough they shalt join with us. It won't be long now."

Perversely, little Amity gleefully rides the great feral wolf like a pony and the pack lopes off, quickly outpacing the paladin, disappearing into the cold, black night. But at the edge of Banemourne, Jerome sees they are headed in the direction of the mountain pass that winds south to Vicar's Head, the black witches' altar in the haunted wood, and the Ashblood Colony.

Actions?!

Long Bo reaches the burning cabin. There he finds no sign of his friends nor his enemies. The shack is completely consumed in flames!

Actions?!

Carrying Telkis, Brevos tracks his companions and finds Urdur, Mouser and Ingrid hiding in a dark, forlorn lane of the mountain village, far from the raging conflagration. He lowers Telkis to the ground and then collapses in the snow in defeat. The grim ranger gives his despairing report of the terrible events to which he bore witness, and counsels that they should all take the wolfsbane elixir now.

From having studied the old tome from the secret library in the stone tower at Vicar's Head, Urdur knows Brevos' plan would cure them of the affliction, but it would not make them immune to The Curse should they be bitten again tomorrow. And they haven't enough of the precious blossoms for two doses each. Urdur's shifting shape suddenly becomes as clear as this dread realization.

Ingrid Esthof uses the last of her holy blessings to heal Telkis (+7hp) but even her unflinching strength of faith is not enough to revive the valiant gnome warrior.

A faint smudge of grey infests the eastern sky at the horizon. Dawn will be upon them in a few hours.

Actions?!

Map:
X is the Ancient Shrine of Evil. The heroes are at Banemourne.

Behind the DM Screen:
This post covers 2 rounds.

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 4/19, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/25, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/38, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 0/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 0/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 1/11, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil (Ingrid): Target: Amity. Duration: 15 rounds.
Pass Without Trace (Bo): Target: self. Duration: 3 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome follows the wolves as far as he can, running on pure holy fury. When he loses the trail, he returns to the burning building for the warmth. He stands near it, furious with himself and praying to St Cuthbert to forgive him for his failure.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#89 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks around on the ground for any tracks in the snow, hoping he can figure out where everyone went.

Scott308

#90 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Nodding at the bad news delivered by Brevos, she knows that tired and demoralized as they may be, still they must push on. Bo said to meet him at the tavern at dawn, which will be here soon. However, I do not wish to face the villagers. We have brought ruin upon this poor village. They warned us, but in our self-righteousness, we failed to heed their warning. Now, one of their buildings is but a blaze in the northern sky and we have done nothing to thwart the evil one who sits on his dark throne. I wonder, would the lives of those we have met been better off had we stayed home, raising crops and families. So much death and destruction follows in our wake I am no longer sure we are actually helping the poor and downtrodden. Sighing, she continues, We should find Bo and leave this place before the angry villagers decide to take up arms against us.
As I was typing, I realized I had unintentionally almost put in a classic black metal album reference, so I reworded things slightly. See if anyone can pick up on the Easter Egg. :D
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by wolfpack »

What choice are we left with now, do any of you learned know of a way to expel the evil in the girls body? or must we now just slay the one we worked so hard to try and save?

How many days until the next full moon

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Inferno »

In these darkest hours before the dawn, the surviving heroes regroup at the flaming beacon of the burning cabin and are reunited. Their great black shadows leap and dance in the firelight.

Telkis remains unconscious from his wounds. Jerome prays for forgiveness for his failings. Ingrid counsels flight before the villagers of Banemourne find them. Brevos asks if there is anything to be done for poor Amity.

There are twelve days until the next full moon.

Actions?!

Map:
X is the Ancient Shrine of Evil. The heroes are at Banemourne.

PC Status:
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/25, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo is obviously upset when the others find their way back to the inferno in the cold.

"We are FOOLS!!! All of us. From the god fearing paladin, all the way down to our now dead thief. Me possibly worst of all!"

"I could sense there was something amiss with the child even before she started turning us all into burnt toast. But out of respect for those of you trying to protect her like she was one of your own, I kept my feelings to myself. Now I wish I would have spoken up about it, despite the risk of causing an argument. Not only have we failed miserably at our mission, but we have released an even worse terror on the land then if we would have left it all well enough alone. If the villagers decide to toss us into the fire, I wouldn't blame them one bit."

The normally cool headed druid continues looking around for tracks in the snow, hoping they will still be able to track the pack. He also calls for the owl that he heard earlier, now wishing he would have tried talking to the thing before they bedded down for the night.

Scott308

#94 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Remembering something picked up within Vicar's Head, the cleric pulls out the scroll from the desecrated church and examines it.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser looks relieved to be alive then embarrassed at his actions then resignation at the fate of the 'fools' around him. "We have all been tossed around in some ancient and wicked scheme - and still our strings are pulled. What now?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Looking only at the snow, not his friends, Jerome speaks I was overtaken and controlled by whatever lives in that poor child. I apologize to you all for my efforts making things worse. There will be penance to do when I return to the Monastery, I am sure.
I would hate to leave without admitting our failures to the village- but they may be too angered to accept an apology and a promise to make things right.
Sister Ingrid, your suggestion may be the best of bad choices.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by SocraticLawyer »

We have no choice, says Urdur. Let us leave this place. We must recover our strength, in the woods if necessary. Then we must return to Ashblood and tell them of our failure.

As soon as he can, he gets to work on more wolfsbane potions.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by wolfpack »

Taking a deep breath to gather himself brevos pulls up his hood and begins tracking the wolves and amity.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome freezes, his eyes wide. St Cuthbert help us! We must hurry! If the demon returns to Amity's family, her village could be destroyed- or worse, taken to serve the demon and her masters!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Inferno »

Banemourne, the Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty-one. Before Dawn. Friday, December 2nd, 576 CY

Carrying Telkis' lifeless body, the heroes flee Banemourne in dread and despair. They hear the words of the frightened villagers echoing unbidden within their beleaguered minds.

"Whit have ye dane?"

The grey druid calls into the cold, black night and silently, a great horned owl alights upon his shoulder!

Suddenly, Ingrid remembers the parchment scroll recovered from the desecrated church of Vicar's Head. She unfurls it and scans the illuminated manuscript with a desperate flicker of hope! (see PM)

Brevos the ranger tracks the depraved werewolf pack that bore away Amity Mantle. Their pawprints lead the heroes to the mouth of the pass that winds southwest through the Dark Mountains to Vicar's Head and beyond!

Actions?!

Map:
X is the Ancient Shrine of Evil. The heroes are west of Banemourne.

PC Status:

PC Magic:
None currently

Player Resources:
DM:

Player: