Chapter 26: The Possession of Amity Mantle

Inferno
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 26: The Possession of Amity Mantle

#101 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome walks as quickly as he can manage in the snow and darkness, his anxiety writ large on his face. He keeps a hand on his blade, trying to be prepared for anything.
He makes a couple of attempts to sing- rousing marching tunes intended to lift the team's spirits. But his heart isn't in it, and his voice falters soon.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#102 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

If we can find Amity, I believe I can help her. The scroll contains the steps to perform the ritual of an exorcism. I have never performed it before, but with the aid of the scroll, I should be able to drive the demon from the child.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Shouldn't we wait until daylight to pursue them?
We are in no shape to confront the wolves or the thing that possesses little Amity, even if we could catch them. We should make camp in the woods first, to gather what strength we can,
says Urdur.

If the group continues to follow the wolves, Urdur stays with the group. If they make camp, he works on wolfsbane potions during his watch.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser agrees, "No shape to pursue, and we'll probably freeze to death on our way!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome stops, looking stricken, when it is suggested they stop for the night. He's obviously torn between DO SOMETHING NOW! and Be ready to be effective when battle starts. He paces while the others discuss the options.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by wolfpack »

We can make camp now, but should leave at daybreak. the wolves will be more vulnerable in the day.

we need a plan to pull the child from the wolves and spirit her away so this ritual can be performed.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#107 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I agree that we should camp for the night. We are in no condition to face the wolves. We're in no shape to face an angry squirrel, for that matter.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#108 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo uses the very last of his magic to speak with his feathered friend.

"Did you see what took place here friend? Can you use your power of flight and superior eyesight to track and follow the wolves for us?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Inferno »

Near Banemourne, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty-one. Before Dawn. Friday, December 2nd, 576 CY
Freezing cold, overcast, windy.

Exhausted, beaten and demoralized, the heroes hide in the haunted woods near the trailhead of the mountain pass. In the distance, wolf howlings of unholy veneration pierce the cold black night.

The grey druid speaks in the language of owls to the nocturnal avian perched upon his shoulder. "Did you see what took place here, friend?"

"Nay," hoots the great horned owl.

Bo asks, "Can you use your power of flight and superior eyesight to track and follow the wolves for us?"

"I can. How oft wouldst thou liketh me to returneth to thee?"
the owl inquires before it departs into the icy gulfs of night.

Ingrid Esthof offers the heroes a glimmer of hope when she reveals she may be able to cure Amity of her possession by the demon of the Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil!

"We can make camp now, but should leave at daybreak. The wolves will be more vulnerable in the day," Brevos the ranger says as he creates snow burrows to trap their warmth while they recover, insensate.

Hours pass, the wolf howls wane, and the last of the night watch cycles through without incident... in the waking world at least.

As ever, their nightmares are haunted by the unspeakable god of death and horror that sleeps beneath the dark mountains.

But the heroes live to see the dawn.

Telkis Brassfang awakens from darkest nightmare, surprised to find himself still alive thanks to Brevos.

Carefully following the formula of alchemy inscribed within the tome from the secret library in Vicar's Head...

...Urdur the conjurer brews eight doses of the precious wolfsbane elixir, and no more.

It has the power to cure them of the Curse of the Beast. But it will not render them immune from future werewolf bites.

Actions?! (Everyone heals 1hp from the restless night. Spell slots are restored.)

Map:
X is the Ancient Shrine of Evil. The heroes are west of Banemourne.

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 5/36
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 5/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 10/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 37/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 1/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome rises from his snow burrow, looking as if he hasn't slept. He is always a bit ostentatious with his morning prayers, but today he is genuinely obnoxious.
ST. Cuthbert, we prostrate ourselves before you, asking your forgiveness and aid! We will seek the demonic child, and free her- or destroy her if we must. We ask your blessing on this holy mission.... This goes on longer than anyone is really comfortable with.
Eventually, he is satisfied and joins the others. Waybread and water as we go? His tone says he'd make this an order, if he had the authority.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo speaks with the owl before it departs.

"Continue to follow them from a distance, friend, but do not get close enough for the witch child to detect your presence. If the pack stops for anything specific, or moves into a cave or shelter of some kind to rest, return to me with that information. If they encounter anything that will delay them considerably, please come back to tell me that too. Otherwise, return to me before the sun sets each day to tell me what you've learned."

Bo goes about his normal morning rituals as the others rise, still upset with himself that he didn't speak up against those who were so willfully protecting the possessed child earlier. Before the group sets out again, he speaks his mind.

"The creature we now hunt is an abomination that must be destroyed. If the scroll doesn't work to free the child, I will risk my life to put an end to her once and for all, no matter who tries to stand against that task. We cant let ourselves be controlled by our emotions anymore, it is our enemies most dangerous weapon against us."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will look to track the wolves

[1d100] = 47

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser rises but feels little rested. So much yet remains heavy on his soul. Ingrid speaks of a scroll to cure the demon child. "Wait, did you say you can remove the curse but we have to go back up the mountain to that.. that place!? What are we saying here?" He breaths in a deep breath as he leans back to take that option in... slowly and uncertainly.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Inferno »

The unrelenting horror continues in... Chapter 27: Mark of the Beast
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun