#121 Post by wolfpack »

Seeing he others entered without checking first Brevos enters as well

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 25: Hell Vomits Forth The Damned

#122 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome says nothing, just stands beside the fire, letting it thaw him and hoping he doesn't lose toes to frostbite.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#123 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo stomps the snow from his boots before entering, hooting a few times for his owl friend to let it know he has returned.

Inside, the imposing druid also moves to warm himself at the fire while using his charismatic recluse charm on the frightened townsfolk.

“Yes, we have returned, alive and untainted by the evil infesting that mountain. We have rescued the girl, as you can see, and put a bloody end to the many evil foes that stood in our way. We destroyed everything we could before finally fleeing their hoards. Before we left the mountain, we destroyed a large portion of that wicked stairway, likely sending hundreds more of their evil fodder plummeting to their deaths. Nothing will be using that path again, up or down.”

Bo takes a moment to look over the crowd to see if any of them appear especially concerned by this revelation before continuing.

“We found several ledgers and journals while we searched, offering us a glimpse into the inner workings of their evil cult. Now.....we know that most of you people are decent, honest, hardworking folk who only want a better life for all. But we also know that there are others among you who are allied with the cult, and would do harm to any of us in order to better their positions. All you need do is to point them out to us, so that we may cleanse this place of their wicked filth, just as we smote their masters ruin upon the mountainside.”

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur remains quiet, waiting on the villagers' response. He goes over the recipe for the wolfsbane potion in his head as he does so.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser to remains quiet.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by rredmond »

Uncomfortable with the truth telling, and uncanny ability to walk into ambushes, of this crew, Rudolf just shrugs and remains quiet. Smiling at the boldness of the druid, he'll sit in a shadowy part of the bar to observe if any of the townsfolk act suspiciously with his hand on his daggers.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Inferno »

Banemourne, the Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Night. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, overcast, windy.

Frozen, injured, and exhausted beyond all imaging, the heroes stagger into Banemourne's public house like the damned newly escaped from Hell.

The barkeep and his customers all stop talking and drinking. As one they turn and stare in astonishment.

"Ye'r back," stammers Tulach the proprietor. "...Ye live!... Whit have ye dane?"

Ingrid Esthof reveals the sleeping child. "We got the girl."

Everyone in the public house stands up at once. They crowd around in amazement, murmuring in low voices so as not to wake her:
"...Howfur?"
"Who is the lass?"
"Whaur did ye fin' her?"
"Whaur be her mither?"

Long Bo brings himself up to his full height and tells the tale in his deep voice. Some patrons are intent, some confused, some disbelieving, but all listen. A few genuflect reverently toward the symbol on the wall.

A few go to the window to look in fear toward the dread mountain. "Hae ye woken that whit sleeps?!"

Fretting, Tulach brings bowls of hot stew.

Then the grey druid claims that the wicked cult has infiltrated Banemourne. He compels the townfolk to identify those evildoers among them!

The patrons eye the stranger and each other with surprise and suspicion, but none offer a name. In hushed voices they exclaim:
"Whit urr ye saying?"
"Madness!"
"Th' cult is deid!"
"It cannae be ony o' us!"
"Does ye ledger name thaim?"

Actions?

Map:

X is the Ancient Shrine of Evil. The heroes have reached Banemourne.

Behind the DM Screen:

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 21/36
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 7/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 14/25, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl, 2/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 7/20, Laying Hands: 0/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/38, Spells: 3/6 1st lvl, 0/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl, -1 to Strength
Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 13/16
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 3/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 1/11, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by wolfpack »

The girl is from a village several days journey from here. The cult needed the sacrifice of an innocent to awaken their despicable god. We were able to rescue her before they succeeded in their endeavor

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#129 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo nods after the words from Brevos, still trying to make out if any of the patrons are acting suspiciously.

"There were no proper names of townsfolk mentioned, but it was clear that the cult has long arms. It was also clear that they had help from a group of witches who traveled through this area. That's who brought the child up the mountain in the first place. We seek any who might have aided them."

"Have you ever heard of a place called Briarsgate? It is a small village on the other side of the mountains. That place was filled with scoundrels and neer-do-wells when we arrived there, most of them in league with the evil that haunted their lands. We needed to suss out the good from the bad there, and we did. If the same holds true here, our work is not yet finished."

If there are no obvious indications of treachery among those gathered, Bo orders food and drink for the house, hoping to calm the nerves of the patrons.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome stays quiet, having nothing to add to the discussion. He watches the patrons- not with suspicion, just curiosity. He is also trying to decide on a proper sacrifice to thank St. Cuthbert for his aid.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by rredmond »

Keeping an eye sweeping those at the bar, trying to suss out the good from the evil, Rudolf asks, "what exactly is asleep up there that you are worried about waking?"
Shrug, figured I'd ask just in case. Question for the DM, is the symbol on the wall in a frame or on a plaque, or is it painted directly on the wall?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis looks over the sleeping girl on the table, trying to hide the concern he feels. He approaches Urdur and speaks quietly.

"Do you know or have you heard of any magic that might undo a sleep like this? I think we both know it ain't natural. She'da woken up by now if it were."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#133 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric remains quiet, tending to sleeping Amity.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser's eyes slide to the symbol on the wall. He recognizes it and it almost calls to him. The splinter in his mind still has some healing to do...... Will he ever be free of it's pull?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome sidles over to the barman. I am sworn to poverty, so I have no gold to pay- but would you be willing to give me a mug of ale? I believe it would help warm me.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by rredmond »

Keeping his eye on the reactions of those in the bar, Rudolf puts 10 gold on the bar to cover a round of drinks for the bar. He then returns quietly to his dark corner.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Cold and tired beyond reckoning, little Urdur awaits the response from the villagers.

To Telkis, he says Sadly, I have no idea how to wake the poor girl.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Inferno »

Banemourne, the Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Night. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, overcast, windy.

At the northern mouth of the pass through the dark mountains, Banemourne shivers against the wind and the cold and the night.

In the lone public house, the villagers stare agape at the returning heroes that have rescued a soul from Hell.

Rudolf asks about the mountain, "What exactly is asleep up there that you are worried about waking?"

"Th' Evil thare, that kin ne'er die," answers Tulach as he shakes his head in worry.

The despairing barkeep glances at the sleeping girl, and then at the strangers. "...Whit hae ye dane?..."

Mouser seems transfixed by the symbol painted on the wall.

Having seen so much horror and darkness, Long Bo and Rudolf are slow to trust. But they find no indication of treachery among the townsfolk, nor knowledge of the unspeakable events at Briarsgate.

When the druid and the hobbit offer to pay, Tulach gently protests as he pours Jerome a pint, "Nay, I stull hae yer donations that ye'll be wantin' back."

Actions? (and plans for the night?)

Map:

X is the Ancient Shrine of Evil. The heroes have reached Banemourne.

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 21/36
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 7/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 14/25, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl, 2/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 7/20, Laying Hands: 0/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/38, Spells: 3/6 1st lvl, 0/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl, -1 to Strength
Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 13/16
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 3/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 1/11, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by rredmond »

Inferno wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm The despairing barkeep glances at the sleeping girl, and then at the strangers. "...Whit hae ye dane?..."
Tired, hungry and a wee bit annoyed at this point Rudolf tries to break through to the morose townsfolk, and channeling Bo's haranguing ability he replies, "the sacrifice of the girl was going to wake whatever in the evil hells it was... we saved the girl! It should still have it's nightshirt on." He's loud, moreso trying to convince himself than the denizens of the bar. If there's a window, he'll involuntarily look outside.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#140 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof
Inferno wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm The despairing barkeep glances at the sleeping girl, and then at the strangers. "...Whit hae ye dane?..."
We saved an innocent soul, as I'm sure anyone here would have done if they had the ability, the cleric quietly replies. We are chilled to the bone, weary, and hungry. If we can but eat and warm ourselves by the fire, we'd be happy to answer questions in the morning, she says, smiling tiredly at the patrons before putting spoon to her stew.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”