Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

#41 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Watching the rations hit the ground, Devrin thinks to himself, "Well, so much for waiting. I suppose food is a pretty universal item, though."

Seeing that it is, indeed, the Monkoons coming down, Devrin eases his grip on his staff and makes himself stand it against the base of the tree next to him. As he hears Saracen whisper to Chauncey, he looks over to them and nods in agreement. "The leader is definitely talking to them," he mouths almost silently.
"There is no spoon."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Once his new pets start chattering among themselves, Jack excitedly weaves a simple faerie charm he was taught 13 centuries ago.

Casts Comprehend Languages
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan remains calm with no threatening gestures and exudes a ranger's animal friendliness...
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Storm11 wrote:"Now might the time to cast your translating magic, quietly and carefully!" whispers Saracen to Chauncey out of the corner of his mouth.
"I'm afraid we must become friendly with them first," replies Chauncey in a whisper. "It occurs to me only now, mentally going over the text of my spell, that I must touch the creature to be understood. Let us hope the overtures with the food items are sufficient. I'll stay ready to Sleep them, should something go amiss." After a moment he adds "Does this qualify as endangering children? Should we be concerned?"
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Devrin watches Jack cast a spell, and exactly the same spell he was contemplating using himself. "Well," he thinks. "That certainly explains a thing or two. Raises a few other questions, though."
"There is no spoon."
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Devrin shakes his head, a little disgusted for allowing himself to forget that the object of the spell must be touched. But he decides that Jack's spell isn't wasted yet. He calls out to Jack, in a calm, low voice, "It's a good choice of spells, Jack, but you'll need to touch the Monkoons now. Just don't get grabby. Slow and gentle. And a touch is all you need."
"There is no spoon."
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Devrin picks his staff back up and slowly drifts back to where Chauncey is standing. "I have never seen the Monkoons make any aggressive moves towards the children. They seem to know the difference very well. I wouldn't take any chances with them if I thought otherwise." Silently, Devrin is pleased that his companion worries about such things, though. Too many people on this island seem to have no such concerns.
"There is no spoon."
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by tkrexx »

The third little monster that remains alone is far less trusting towards this intrusion. He just stands on his branch looking mean while Jack continues to wave his sausage at him. He makes no move towards the food and instead begins chattering and squawking at the two on the ground, currently picking through the rations to find the tastiest bits.
Lightfinger voices an observation.

Who does THAT one remind you of? He nods toward the grumpy monkoon, Give him an ax and I'll bet he'll start tapping his palm with it. Could they be related? Other than one challenging personality, I feel I'm in no danger. The Hobbit leisurely finds a comfortable spot and sits, wishing he'd have brought his pipe. It's learning time, gentle people, let's observe. Jack, "observe" means look, not touch. We need to earn their trust, if it is indeed to be had. Remember, the residents of Beachtown have been trying to exterminate these creatures, so they may not agree to being molested up and down straight away.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#49 Post by OGRE MAGE »

We Got Action!
Early morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Saracen stays calm and tells the wizards to cast their spells. Jack begins casting and finishes the verbal portion of his translation magic that fairies taught him long ago. With a pinch of soot and few grains of salt added into the mix, his spell is now nearly complete. He continues trying to lure one of the furry creatures towards him so he can touch it to finish the casting.

Chauncey ponders the ramifications of using the children to lure out these little monsters. Not knowing much about children himself, the mage is comforted by Devrin who assures him that this is perfectly normal behavior and that he has never seen the creatures harm the children before. What is the worst that could happen? The elf lets it be known that he thinks the lone squawker must be the leader and tells Jack to be cautious.

Alordan tries to keep everyone naturally calm, including himself. He sees one of the creatures on the ground start to take a noticeable liking to jacks handful of cured sausage. The creature slowly creeps up to the boy, inch by inch. The whole while the lone monkoon that remains up in the tree continues with its audible barrage on the other two, now jumping up and down on its branch somewhat violently to accent his indecipherable point. Lightfinger makes himself comfortable, well prepared to sit and watch. He warns Jack and the others that trust must be earned before trying anything with these already oppressed tree dwelling creatures.

The curious animal gets even closer to the elf boy, but stays just out of his arms reach. It stands there staring at the boy, clapping its hands together and squeaking softly, waiting for its salty treat. Zel and Sally look on in minor amusement, hoping they can also get some of the meat to eat. "Youre not giving it that whole thing, are you?"

If Jack wants to try a hard Dex check.....success will allow him to reach out and touch the monkoon as he hands over his treat.

Actions?

Devrin Treesong 9/9 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Alordan 9/10
Saracen Solaris 10/12 2/3 first
Jack 8/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Storm11 »

Saracenwatches the trio up in the trees, as the elf kid tries to lure the hungry monkoon with his food. He will stand prepared to defend the companions should the monkoons begin attacking. If they are only aggressively gesturing he will wait and see how this plays out.
Greys Campaign.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Eyes as big as saucers, Jack feels his heart pounding inside his chest as he slowly... breathlessly... painstakingly... reaches out... to pet... his new pet.

Dex check: (18): [4d6] = 17
Whew!
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Devrin watches the interplay between the Monkoon and Jack. As he does, the various things he has seen and come to understand about Jack begin to fall into place. His own elvish heritage and his magical studies have both told tales about .... beings .... like Jack. "I wonder," he thinks. "How long was he caught in the Fae?" He's not sure if he should envy him or pity him.
"There is no spoon."
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger still grins.

Old Granddad sure is kicking up a dust, he's scolding those kids like... Like he's not a Granddad...
The creature slowly creeps up to the boy, inch by inch. The whole while the lone monkoon that remains up in the tree continues with its audible barrage on the other two, now jumping up and down on its branch somewhat violently to accent his indecipherable point.
Lightfinger no longer grins.

That's their Father! He's not scolding his children, he's warning them!

Lightfinger looks to the Lost Elven Boy.

Jack! You do understand the concept of "Don't Touch," yes?? What in the Green Hills are you doing? The Hobbit physically becomes concerned. Jack, drop the sausage and withdraw. Grumpy's not only warning his kids, he's warning US! If he attacks, we will defend and monkoons will die, these childrens' Father first among them. What will we be teaching the children, Jack? Don't try to touch it!!
Again, this is Lightfinger IC. Personally, I can't wait to see how this plays out!
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

"No, Lightfinger, we will NOT defend," says Devrin. "IF the Monkoons attack, we will grab the children and retreat. We are not here to fight."
"There is no spoon."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jack's Got The Touch!
Monkoon Clearing
Early morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

As the lost elf boy hands over his meat tube treat to the curious monkoon, he reaches out to pet the animal with his other hand. His graze causes the creature to flinch and quickly jump backwards towards his less brave friend. Zelmin and Sally are both visibly upset that all of the bait was sacrificed before they had a chance to ask for a little piece for their own growling tummies.

The solo monkoon in the tree continues to screech at them both incomprehensibly, but little Jack is tickled pink when the one he touched shouts back and he can actually understand the creatures words in his mind.

Monkoon #3
"See! I told you they wouldn't hurt us! The little ones are always nice! They aren't here to kill us. It is only the big ones that want us all dead!"

The creature sniffs the sausage before spitting on it and then wiping it off thoroughly with his furry fingered paws.

"Hey! This meat smells just like the stuff that those mean sailors used to set in their traps!"

He points to the four members who are still hanging out at the edge of the clearing.

"Maybe those big ones over there are friends with the bad men and they are still trying to trick us?"

The monkoon keeps his distance as he snaps the sausage in half. He hands off one piece to his friend on the ground and then snaps his piece in half again. He holds one piece out to Zelmin to see if he will take it. The innocent boy immediately begins walking towards the proffered breakfast treat.

To everyone except Jack, the animals voices still sound like nothing more than squawking and shrieking.

Actions?

Devrin Treesong 9/9 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Alordan 9/10
Saracen Solaris 10/12 2/3 first
Jack 8/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

In wonder and delight, Jack gleefully translates for the others, adding, "You grownups better leave!"
Jack is visibly thrilled to turn the tables on the the bossy adults who always feel like they can tell children what to do!

"Be sure to leave all your food behind on the way out!" he says as he offers some of Lightfinger's feast pile to Zelmin and Sally. "Here! Have some!"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger blinks. :shock:

Did... Did this just happen? Jack, are they speaking to you?
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

"No," says Devrin. "We aren't leaving. If we are to come to any understanding with them, they need to get used to us. We can't take a message to the people who are cutting down their homes, if we don't know what the message is."

"So what exactly did he say, Jack?"

Turning to the rest of the group, Devrin adds, "Lightfinger, if I came off sounding bossy, please allow me to apologize. I was afraid things were coming to a head, as well. But if we take a few rocks thrown at us, we can come back and start over. If we kill one of them, we are exactly the same as the people that have been hurting them, and we'll never make friends of them. So, if something goes awry, and the Monkoons DO get violent, just run."
"There is no spoon."
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen looks on in wonder. He watches the little creatures and listens carefully to the discussions about what the monkoons are currently saying.

"Perhaps we should just listen to their conversation alittle while longer before we make any other moves?" the holy champion suggests quietly.
Greys Campaign.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by tkrexx »

So, if something goes awry, and the Monkoons DO get violent, just run.
Lightfinger nods, his fascinated eyes still on the monkoons.

Oh, I'll run, yes, He agrees, I know what it's like when the tallfolk decide to bully those of us of lesser stature. I won't be a party to that. I'm decidedly in the monkoons' camp on this issue. I just can't believe this rash course of action is actually... Working!
Perhaps we should just listen to their conversation alittle while longer before we make any other moves?
The Halfling points to Saracen. What he said! Wise and strong, that why I like him! Ugly matters little in the face of this wisdom. Let's learn of them, FROM them.

Return to “Completed Missions”