Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 10. Return to Castle Ravenloft

#281 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 13, 1222
Time: 7:30 PM
Weather: Fog

As some of our heroes continue to argue among themselves over Cyrus's fate, others explore.

Scarlett, Bragar, and Agax, intent on binding and gagging Strahd's screaming manservant, find their way blocked by the paladin Lar. "It is unjust for us to bind and gag Cyrus when he has done nothing wrong that we know of," he says. "Show me proof of his wrong doings and you can proceed. If not I will simply cut your ropes or gags you place on him. I will remain with him until your spell wears off so he will not be defenseless in this vile mansion. Bogdana, come assist me with Cyrus."

The priestess looks conflicted for a moment, then steps to Lar's side in front of Cyrus. "I believe Lar speaks the will of Ohama," she says. "This man has done nothing to us."

"Must you force us to kill him?" asks Agax, leading Cyrus to scream even louder in panic.

Bragar, too, is unmoved by the paladin's words. "You stay here, Lar, and meet your fate with this minion of Strahd's. A minion slaughtered my friends. I shall not leave Strahd's minions free at my back." He tries to get at Cyrus to tie and gag him, but Lar and Bogdana stand in his way.

While this standoff is going on, Castran, Gragog, and Shinyah decide to investigate the sole remaining unexplored door in the hallway. Castran opens the door and finds himself staring at several hunched, reeking things dressed in dark rags. The things fill a hallway as far back as you can see.
undead.jpg
undead.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 364 times
They appear to have been just about to enter the hallway you are in. Cyrus's screams, it seems, did not go unheard.

Actions?
Rough map:
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 8.51.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 8.51.45 PM.png (35.46 KiB) Viewed 364 times
There may be more monsters to the south of those shown. What's on the map is as far as Lar's lantern reaches.

Gragog, Castran, Shinyah, and Petyr act against the monsters right away. Agax, Bragar, Lar, Scarlett, and Bogdana will act with a +2 penalty to initiative because their attention was on the argument over Cyrus when Castran opened the door.
----
Status: Gragog (F7): 40/49; Lar (P6): 27/40; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 45/45; Petyr (F4): 29/30; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 26/28, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Hold Person (Scarlett, on Cyrus): 12 rounds
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 15.9 turns
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#282 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog - Half-Orc Fioghter prepares to strike from the second line at the first creature in line on the other side of the door. Provided Castran doesn't slam the door shut. Target is W2

Spear +1 Thac0(14) [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22 To Hit [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 S/M Dmg [1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5 L Dmg
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Turns to see the new threat. He loos to Lar. See what your new friend has brought upon us. Maybe we should look behind the other doors. He moves to aid Castran. Castran let them come in on at time, be easier to kill them.

OCC- If the door opens towards the group. He try block the door with his feet so that one at a time may only enter.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by Cwreando »

Lar swaps his morning star for his blade and moves closer by switching places with Bogdana, "Switch places with me and watch over Cyrus. Gag him if he won't shut up though. They are right he is drawing attention to us."

Lar tries to get close enough to let Ohama's gifts be shared with Castran or those in the front.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Storm11 »

The invisible gnome will let the others take over as the jostle to hold the door. If it opens into the hallway he will leave it half open as Bragar suggested, leaning his strength against it. If it opens inwards towards the undead he will slam it shut and suggest the smaller warrior members step up and the taller attack over their heads. The smell from the creatures may aid in identifying them.
Greys Campaign.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

"Aye. Bar the door," the dreaming wizard says as he gags Cyrus. Then he binds him with rope.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#287 Post by Scott308 »

Shinyah, Druid

The druid takes the opportunity to cast Barkskin upon himself.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett

Scarlett is very annoyed with Lars choosing a defense of Cyrus over the party's endeavour, seeing no reason to justify her action in tieing and gagging him to his bed in the storeroom. Compared to others who debated, 'putting him.out of his misery', a few hours tied up while we explore seemed reasonable enough. The fact both of them also use this 'Ohama told me so' to validate their actions confuses her. Surely 'Ohama would not have them sidecwith servants of the undead?

Thinking Lars is obviously being seduced by Cyrus and Lady Bogdana seduced by Lars, this just makes Scarlett more angry ( no no not jealous, no never),

Scarlett, sees these new undead lurch at the door and vents her frustration on them.

@7th level see Turns Undead 'wights' = Auto T.....for anything else....her faith weakens...d20 turn roll = 2 :(
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Zhym »

Time: 7:30 PM - Combat Round 1

Castran tries to close the door (which opens away from him), but the undead things, whatever they are, are too fast. The diminutive gnome is unable to stop them from rushing into the hallway. And although he is invisible and small, a couple of the monsters (w7, w8) bump into him, notice the hole in the mists, and attack. He easily avoids their grasps.

Three of them attack Petyr and one manages to scratch his arm. Despite the lightness of the wound (-1 HP), the fighter screams in pain. "Cold!" he cries. "So cold!" He seems visibly weakened. His counterattack misses badly.

One attacks Shinyah; another goes after Gragog. The heroes avoid their cold grasps. Gragog responds by piercing his attacker (w5) deep in the throat. The last creature to enter the room attacks Honeynose, swiping a thin claw against the big bear's shoulder (-2 HP). The bear howls and attempts to bite and claw the foul thing, which evades the attacks.

Castran tries to move back, leaving room for others to take the fore. Bragar tries to step to his aid, but he is too far back—Gragog and Shinyah are in the way.

Shinyah casts a spell to harden his skin until it is like bark.

Lar and Bogdana trade places. "Watch over Cyrus," he says. "Gag him if he won't shut up." Agax steps forward and takes care of that duty, muffling the old man's screams somewhat.

Bogdana, for her part, raises the symbol of Ohama. "Lar!" she cries. "For Ohama's sake, try to turn these things!" She commands the attackers to begone—but her exhortation has no effect.

Scarlett, however, is invested with more power by her god. With a display of her holy symbol and a firm command, she sends half a dozen of the undead fleeing. Two of them (w1, w2) turn to leave through the door to the guards' hall; four others (w3-w6) begin pushing their way back into the hallway from which they came. But another half dozen wait in the hall to replace them.

Actions?
Monsters win initiative 5-1. That prevents any attempt to close the door on them.

I guess it's obvious what type of undead you're dealing with now.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 4.30.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 4.30.56 PM.png (33.4 KiB) Viewed 328 times
----
Status: Gragog (F7): 40/49; Lar (P6): 27/40; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 45/45; Petyr (F3): 23/23; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 24/24, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Hold Person (Scarlett, on Cyrus): 11 rounds; Barkskin (Shinyah, AC 3): 11 rounds
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 15.8 turns
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Dram »

Last edited by Dram on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

With Cyrus silenced at last, the priest of possibility steps forward next to Scarlett. "Well done," he murmurs as he wields his wheel-shaped holy symbol and polyhedron talisman, and joins the gypsy in driving back the undead horrors! "Your chance is over! All possibility is denied you, now! Return to your accursed master! Your fate is sealed!"

Turn undead: [1d20] = 17
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#292 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog steps aside to better get in the way of the undead thing w5 stepping over towards Petyr and attacks the creature with his spear hoping to also provide an opening for Castran to retreat to.

Spear +1 Thac0(14) [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9 To Hit [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 S/M Dmg [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6 L Dmg
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett

Taking advantage of the brief respite as the turned ones block the entrance from the other wraiths, Scarlett will cast a Protection from Evil spell.

"Rally around me, Samar's blessed assurance will keep them at bay for a few moments."she calls. "When the other wretches breakthrough we need to act as one. Prepare area arcane magics, if we get too close they will suck the spirit out of you. Melee is a last resort. "
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#294 Post by Cwreando »

After changing places with Bogdana, Lar strikes at W4 or the next undead available to him saying, "Back to the depths of the underworld with you foul monsters. Allow Ohama's light to show you the way."

To Hit AC0 (15) Bastard Sword +1, [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17, Dmg vs sm [2d4+1] = 8+1 = 9 Dmg vs L [2d8+1] = 15+1 = 16
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Storm11 »

"Those with the greater armour surround the doorway and stop more of these creatures from entering," suggests the unseen gnome moving back to give the Warriors room. The gnome will watch the turned to make sure the party are not surprised if and when it wears off.
Greys Campaign.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#296 Post by Cwreando »

Lar steps forward if w4 falls and defends the doorway.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#297 Post by Scott308 »

Shinyah, Druid

Shinyah will attack the nearest undead (W4) with his spear.
Meanwhile, Honeynose roars in pain and anger, attacking the undead that had hurt him (I'm assuming that is W6, correct?).
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Zhym »

Time: 7:31 PM - Combat Round 2

Several of the undead, turned away by the power of Scarlett's god, flee before you have a chance to attack them. Two flee to the west. The other four run south, where others of their vulgar kind take turns stepping aside for them to pass and rushing into the hall to take their place.

Three manage to gain entrance to the room. Two go after Petyr; the other attacks Shinyah's bear. All miss; one of the two on Petyr falls almost comically to the ground (critical miss). Two others claw at Castran from near the doorway as he tries to withdraw from combat. Despite his attackers being able to see the hole he makes in the mists, his invisibility and Lar's aura protect him.

While this is going on, you hear a voice to the east. It chants words you do not understand. The voice seems familiar to Castran, but he can't quite place it. Bragar, however, recognizes the voice as that of his old friend Melampus!

Gragog (having swapped places with Castran), Bragar, and Petyr gang up on the prone monster that had been attacking Petyr (w8). It stands no chance against their combined might—slashed, smashed, and stabbed, it goes limp, its unlife taken from it. Lar, Shinyah, and his bear likewise destroy the sickening creature attacking Honeynose (w9).

Agax holds his wheel-shaped holy symbol forth and commands the undead to begone. Four of them (w7, w10, w11, w12) turn away. Only two remain.

Melampus's chanting stops. The lights go out. Even those with some form of darkvision see nothing but blackness.

Actions?
The monsters won initiative. I assume no one wanted to chase down the turned undead, only attack if they were still in melee.

No map because it is very dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Also, please remember to keep an eye on the OOC thread and your private threads. I try to keep OOC discussion there. That includes discussions of important game mechanics.
----
Status: Gragog (F7): 40/49; Lar (P6): 27/40; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 45/45; Petyr (F3): 23/23; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 24/24, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Hold Person (Scarlett, on Cyrus): 10 rounds; Barkskin (Shinyah, AC 3): 10 rounds; Protection from Evil (Scarlett, on herself): 21 rounds
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 15.7 turns - ??
Last edited by Zhym on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Storm11 »

Castran will withdraw one of his continual light coins and throw it to the ground in the area of darkness around him.
Greys Campaign.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Dram »

Bragar- knowing the magic darkness is of his friend Melampus. He steps 4 steps to the south and begins to cast Dispel Magic.

Dispel magic(85%) Die check[1d100] = 17
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Return to “Ravenloft”