Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

#21 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger raises one light finger.

Excuse me? He smiles politely, It's possible the monkoons could mistake one of my size for one of the children... And I brought extra rations, not the tasteless iron rations mind you, the fresher sort. They could be appetizing, and an offering of good faith.
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

"Very well, then," says Devrin. "Jack, let's you and I walk down to where the children play. I know most of them already, so my being welcome shouldn't be an issue."
Devrin looks at the rest is the team. "Give us five minutes or so, then one of you walk down there as well. Someone who will look less aggressive to their eyes. Maybe Lightfingers? I'll leave that up to you.
Devrin and Jack walk around to the spot where the children play under the trees.
"Let's have a look around, Jack."
Last edited by SirOwen on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no spoon."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I Want A Monkoon!
Early Morning, Clear, Hot, and Buggy

Devrin draws his plan up in the dirt for his 5 accomplices while the half-orc warrior priest touches the little elf boy with his glowing fingers, making him feel a little better. +2 hp's

Devrin knows that the platforms of these creatures can be found in every direction from Beachtown fanning out into the jungle.

West, where he tried climbing up to the creatures with nearly disastrous results and his rescuers were arttacked while saving him.

Northwest, where he first discovered a small clearing where the kids would play with them.

Northeast, he has seen many high platforms in this area but has only seen a few of the creatures here.

East, he has not encountered any of the creatures here but has seen their platforms.

Lightfinger reminds the elf that he too could easily pass as a human child and is willing to try to make initial contact with the town's arboreal neighbors.

Devrin and Jack head to the northwest, towards the clearing, to look for the elf's young friends. He tells the others to follow one by one, and as unthreatening as possible. Along the way, Devrin sees Zelmin and Sally who rush over to see what he is up too. The four of you stand at the edge of the jungle clearing, looking and listening for the elusive tree dwellers.

Actions?

Devrin Treesong 9/9 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Alordan 9/10
Saracen Solaris 10/12 2/3 first
Jack 8/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Devrin quickly explains to Zelmin and Sally what they are trying to do, and asks them if there is anything in particular that they did that attracted the Monkoons. If there was a particular game or song, maybe? He tells them that other grown ups are going to visit, but he promises that none of them want hurt the Monkoons or take the kids playground.
"There is no spoon."
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will watch and wait, encouraging Lightfinger when he decides to approach first off.
Greys Campaign.
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin
"I didn't want to be so bold, Lightfingers, but I was hoping you would offer to be next.
I think your size makes you the perfect choice. I'd like to hold off on food offerings right away, though. Let's see what happens and how it plays out, first."
"There is no spoon."
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger smiles and nods.

We're all playing this by ear, He agrees, I just want to see some monkoons first,
and how they interact with ... Others, before I ... Well, thank you and Jack for volunteering to be first!
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack eagerly looks for his soon-to-be pet Monkoon.

Hi, OM. Who are Zelmin and Sally, please? Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey the Adequate, human MU
Sorry, guys. Had a medical procedure on one of my eyes Friday that made it difficult to post over the weekend, but I wanted to respond to this...
SirOwen wrote:Devrin closes to Chauncey and speaks a bit quieter. "And perhaps we will have a bit of luck in the spells we do NOT share as well. Perhaps a bit of mutually beneficial trading soon?"
Chauncey freezes, smiling awkwardly at the suggestion of sharing magical "secrets," giving the impression he has been entirely caught off guard. This idea of cooperation amongst practitioners of the arcane has clearly never occurred to him before. "Mmmmm.... yes, let's ...discuss this further at a more opportune time," he says somewhat noncommittally.
Chauncey agrees to Devrin's plan of approach as sensible. At least, he doesn't have a better suggestion. "Do they like shiny objects? Perhaps we could present them with some shiny objects. Just how intelligent are these creatures? They build houses - do they have use for tools, I wonder?"
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

"Actually, Chauncey, I was thinking tools will probably be the key myself. But I really want to get to the point where we are hearing what they want from their own mouths. Oh, that reminds me,I have two language comprehension spells ready. What about you?"
"There is no spoon."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey
SirOwen wrote: Devrin

"Actually, Chauncey, I was thinking tools will probably be the key myself. But I really want to get to the point where we are hearing what they want from their own mouths. Oh, that reminds me,I have two language comprehension spells ready. What about you?"
"I have but one at the moment," he replies. "I imagine three, total, will be sufficient? Unless these creatures are the chatty type. I've yet to encounter one."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

In Search Of Monkoons
Moonday, 22nd of Reaping
Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

The newly acquainted elf continues to organize the troops as his plan slowly falls into place. He meets up with his former friends Sally and Zelmin, 2 village children that the elf had befriended within the last few days. The whole group moves into the jungle a little ways, just a few hundred feet into the foliage. They stop at the clearing that Devrin and the children are now pretty familiar with. It is where he has seen the kids and the monkoons interacting before.

Sally and Zelmin just stare back at the elf with blank expressions once asked how they "call" out to the creatures.

"We don't call them, they usually just show up."

The canopy above this area is rather thick and it is hard to see very far up into the trees. No platforms above can be spotted from the ground here in this clearing, but that doesn't mean none are there. The overgrowth here is simply impossible to see through.

Devrin has the children move into the clearing to play around a little. This does not entice the creatures out of their hiding spots. Then he sends Jack and Lightfinger into the clearing as well. Still, nothing shows itself from above. Just when the playmates start to think that none of their tree dwelling friends are going to show themselves, there is suddenly a commotion from above. It sounds like there are a few creatures rustling around and making their way down the trees.

Actions?

Devrin Treesong 9/9 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Alordan 9/10
Saracen Solaris 10/12 2/3 first
Jack 8/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin

Devrin stands at the edge of the clearing, as he has done before, just watching and listening. He wants to make sure the approaching creatures are Monkoons, and not something more dangerous or sinister.
"There is no spoon."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan also remains calmly passive making no threatening moves.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Hi! I'm Jack!" Jack waves to his two fellow children.

Then Jack holds out a bit of sausage from his sack and gently calls in a high pitched voice full of flowers and sunshine, "Here monkee, monkee, monkee! Who's a good monkee?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger scolds Jack, tho not harshly.

They're not monkeys, they're Monkoons! He reminds his young charge, his large brown eyes scanning the canopy, And I believe they are more intelligent than any of us suspect. Thus saying, the tall Halfling sets down his enormous backpack and digs until he finds the 7 days of normal rations he purchased from the hideous Woman at the Hi-Lo. His smile he realizes is lost on the chattering creatures above, still he tosses the rations into the clearing and awaits their response ... If any.
7 days normal rations removed.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen waits at the edge of the clearing, weapons in scabbards or leaning against a near by tree, but within a snatch span away should things turn sour.
Greys Campaign.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

So That's A Monkoon?
Early morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Most of the group waits on the sidelines to see what is about to drop out of the jungle canopy. Jack and Lightfinger waste no time in offering up some tasty food for whatever these creatures may be. Just like that, three furry animals pounce through the leaves and perch on some lower hanging branches to see what is going on down below. Two of these creatures jump straight for the food that was tossed out by the halfling. They pick through it quickly, never taking their eyes off of the two strangers in the clearing, despite their childlike size.
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG (101.83 KiB) Viewed 283 times
The third little monster that remains alone is far less trusting towards this intrusion. He just stands on his branch looking mean while Jack continues to wave his sausage at him. He makes no move towards the food and instead begins chattering and squawking at the two on the ground, currently picking through the rations to find the tastiest bits.
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Sally and Zelmin have seen this behavior many times now so they just smile and wave at the lone figure. Their friendliness is lost on the animal as it just stares at the two strangers with an angry and concerned expression on its furry face. The creatures are about 3 ½ feet tall and have very long tails. They are covered in a thick fur and look to have fully functioning hands and feet, complete with opposable thumbs and toes.

Actions?
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Storm11 »

"Now might the time to cast your translating magic, quietly and carefully!" whispers Saracen to Chauncey out of the corner of his mouth.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Completed Missions”