Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: To Whatever End

#21 Post by Inferno »

High Above Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Sunset. Cloudy, cool

Onward the Company flies on wings of gigantic eagles.

Folco the hobbit still cannot believe the quest he has been set upon. "So, if we are truly here to slay this ancient beast, perhaps you eagles would know something of its weaknesses?... I have always heard that such creatures can fall victim to their own arrogance. Is that true?"

The Lord of the Eagles replies, "Yes, a failing not limited to dragons."

"But all dragons have a vulnerability, little one: their soft underbelly. It is said that Morgoth, who created the race of dragons long ago, knew fear in his heart and was too cautious to create any creature that was completely invulnerable."

Elbenwin speaks, "Great eagle, are you going to see Gandalf after you bring us to the Desolation of Smaug? We have with us an orb that seems to be able to communicate with the Dark One with touched."

Gwaihir says gravely, "None know the movements of Gandalf, least of all now. But I would not willingly carry such an accursed thing, my friend."

Naruthirdor the elven sage asks, "What are we to expect in the Desolation? Has the terrible Smaug's awakening roused other dark beasts and fell things?"

The Wind-lord answers, "Like all wicked creatures, Smaug has been drawn under Sauron's sway. You may expect the dragon to be in league with the slaves of the Dark Lord."

Darkness overtakes the Company and all of Middle-earth. Stars slowly kindle to life in their infinitude.

Hours pass and their fearsome destination appears on the far horizon. A great mass of light blossoms before it.

The eagles plunge through the clouds and see in the distance, an organized encampment near a vast lake, lit by countless torches. The ruins of a village smolder on the water. The Dunedain, the dwarves and the elves of northern Mirkwood know it to be Laketown, now burned to the waterline. Elbenarin sees there will be no safe harbor there.

In daylight, the military camp would be unprotected from the sun without the shadow of Mirkwood or the fumes of Mordor to shield it. These would not be orcs. Perhaps they are Easterlings, wicked Men who serve Sauron.

Onward the Company soars and ahead, it looms. The Lonely Mountain.

The Desolation of Smaug is shrouded in darkness. The eagles spiral down in wide circles upon the great mountain's southeastern shoulder. The Company disembarks onto a flat section of rock beneath the forbidding cliffs. Above them looms an abandoned watchtower, a relic of the lost dwarven city of Erebor!

"Venture not far until sunrise. The Enemy's eyes see best at night," warns Gwaihir as the great eagles wheel overhead and soar away to the south. "Farewell," they cry, "Wherever you fare till your eyries receive you at the journey's end!"

It is late and the Company are weary from the day's incredible events. Exhaustion threatens to take them.

Actions?!

Wilderland Map:
Dotted red line marks the Company's journey.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 29/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 11/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 26/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 7/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 16/31
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Starbeard »

Vindoboduoc

Vindo looks down, downcast at the sight of Laketown in ruin. "Well it seems civilization and a quiet life shall forever remain several leagues ahead of me. That was where I was headed when we met, to see if I could make a modest comfortable living in peace, with the wide world shut out." He turns his gaze up the towering mountain, adding, "My people have a saying: 'A cow cannot be put to pasture until it's been milked'. It seems a fitting sentiment, though not a very comforting one."

He sets himself to finding a nearby cave or cranny to throw their beds and sleep until morning.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin finds a crevice that is defensible and out of sight and beds down.

i will take 1st watch, we must decide what to do with the orb. leave it or keep it with us covered. we do not know if the dark one can track it.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"I will take 2nd watch. Time to rest now and make plans when we all have a clear head."

Rumil settles in for his rest.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Urson »

Therone
I managed to get a bit of sleep on the trip. I'll be glad to take whatever watch you want.
FA FO
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I will join Elbenwin on first watch, says Tinuwen. She helps set up camp for the night, then begins her watch.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco checks out their nearby surroundings carefully, using stealth as much as possible, trying not to be seen by the enemy.

"I will take a later watch if necessary. This is all so big for me."

Looking for a small hidden spot to lay his bedroll, the young hobbit appears sad.

"So much destruction. So much death."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin will take what watch remains. "A hard day rises before us. Let us rest ere we continue on our quest.."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly takes a long look at what was Laketown, her face grim, her jaw set firm.
Once the eagles set them down, Gilly pats the great bird's side as a way of saying thank-you and then she makes sure Red is okay, as well as her brother, Glasik.

"Rumil, wake me for your watch; all I need is a cat-nap and I'm good."
Gilly then finds a nook or cranny for herself and Red and drops off to sleep, her new pick cradled in her arms.
Winter is coming...
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#30 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Finding a spot to sleep, the dwarf offers to take a watch. I'll join Folco on a later watch.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#31 Post by Old Duergar »

Naruthirdor

After performing a stiff and rather wobbly bow at the Eagles' departing aerie, the Elf sets to massaging his limbs lightly, fending off his hunger with a few bites of elvenbread and murmuring softly words in the gentle ways of the Sindarin tongue. Soon, he is lost in the world of the Mysteries.

"A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!"

If he would take a watch, no outward indication of it is made, as Naruthirdor keeps reciting a host of words with his eyes closed.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Inferno »

The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Night. Clear, cold

The Company spend a cold and lonely night on a great spur of the towering mountain flung southward. The sulfurous stench of smoke surrounds them. Westward sets the waning moon. Nothing further happens in the night.

Dawn unveils a bleak and barren land around the Lonely Mountain, the Desolation of Smaug.

The Dunedain, the dwarves and the elves of Northern Mirkwood know this was once a green and fertile country but now, all that remains is a forlorn wasteland of broken, blackened tree stumps.

Eastward the River Running flows from the main gate of the mountain, in clouds of steam and black smoke, toward a grey ruin of ancient buildings and walls - all that remains of Dale, a town of valiant Northmen long ago fallen to Smaug.

(The Company is on Ravenhill)

Nothing moves in the waste save vapor, water, and black, ominous crows.

Upon the jutting range where they stand, an old dwarf watch-post looms above them, a relic of Erebor which was once the greatest city in Middle-earth, before the coming of Smaug.

Actions?! (Morning healing is marked. Spell slots are refreshed)

Wilderland Map:

Dotted red line marks the Company's journey.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 33/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 8/8, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 20/31
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo stretches, takes his morning breakfast, and takes in the surroundings.

"So, then: Did this Gandalf character tell you how to enter the mountain?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"We need to somehow face him in battle where he can't possibly fly. If he can get airborne and target us from above we stand no chance. If we could somehow lure him in deep to investigate something perhaps we could catch him unprepared."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin nods at the strategy, "and perhaps from surprise - the breath of the beast would char us all like this forsaken land around us." He continues his stare at the scarred land and then the mountain. "Indeed, how best to enter? The front gate there is visible, but likely watched..."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco weeps openly at the destruction revealed by the dawns light, ashy streaks of dirt rolling down his usually ruddy cheeks.

"This is all so horrible. Just horrible. What chance do we really have against a force that can bring about this much hate and destruction?"

Gathering his gear together, he listens to the ideas presented by the fellowship, finally drawing the courage to offer his skills.

"We might not be spotted if we sneak. I could lead the way, looking around up ahead, if you like."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone is silent and pale, fury and sorrow in equal measure on her face. Not the front gate- we might as well marinade ourselves in honey and ring the dinner gong.
Friend Dwarfs: would you be able to identify the air shafts an underground stronghold like this would need?
FA FO
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#38 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Perhaps, although they should be hidden extremely well or small enough that even the smallest invaders could not enter were they able to stumble upon them.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly wakes with a start and jumps up with her pick in hand ready to fight...until she realizes where she is. She clears her throat and spits the ash and smoke out of her craw, takes a drink from her waterskin, and makes sure Red is alright.
Responding to Therone, she nods and points at the old watch-post.
"I'm for headin' up there and givin' it a look see. Might be some evidence of a way through tha mountain. Me and Red will check it out...unless others want ta go with us."

Not waiting for a response, Gilly begins hiking toward the watch-post. She digs some hard tack out of her backpack, gnawing as she goes.
Winter is coming...
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by wolfpack »

All strongholds have a secret way in and out for emergencies. If our Dwarf companions do not know of any perhaps it will take a theif to find such an entrance,

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”