8-Undermountain Trip 4 - SkullPort

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 8-Undermountain Trip 4 - SkullPort

#161 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll third it :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by Darkmane »

You collect all your gear from the suite, and head down into the tap room. There aren't as many folks in the room now that there is no music. You do notice quite a strange sight across the room though. Near one of the fires is a lady in her late forties or early fifties. She is short, with straw colored hair, and big boned, but moderately attractive. She wears breeches and a mans shirt, but her hair spills down in curls. She is clicking her rings repeatedly in a pattern while staring across the table at two "men". They are slate colored men, with strange large pupils, thin noses and pointy chins. Their hairless skulls have skin that is a blue grey of slate, and they have ridges upon their head. They wear simple armor, unadorned, and carry large swords across their backs. These strange men are staring back at the lady in silence. After a moment one of them nods, as if something was exchanged and then they get up and begin moving for the door. The lady moves over to talk to some other guests, and you notice that the tap room guards all were watching the exchange intently and now begin roaming the tap room once more.

*Let me know if you wish to interact with the lady or the strange men. If not, I will assume you leave already and begin heading out into Skullport, see below*

Leaving the fires of the inn, it takes your eyes a few moments to adjust the the much lower darkness of the underground once more. Inside the inn, you could have told yourself you might have been in Waterdeep, but now it is obvious once more that you are in the city of skulls. You head your way out to the Main trade way. It is busy as always, goods and people, and at times slaves, being moved up and down the main road. There is a huge man in plate mail, with two zombies on chains before him walking up the road, the traffic moving around him in a wide berth as his zombies bite and snarl at folks who move near. He is cursing at the zombies, and shaking the long staves that are attached to their chains, which keep the zombies from turning and attacking their captor. And then he moves on, down toward the docks.

As the traffic moves by, suddenly Roseheart and Tella feel a chill at the nape of their necks. Moments later, the traffic on the street fully parts, as a small human skull, yellow brown with age and mold drifts forward along the lane. You can almost hear a rasping breathing noise, as the whole of the street is silent, all the inhabitants shying away from the skull. You realize you are in the presence of one of the famed skulls of this city. It doesn't really look that impressive as it drifts down the lane, bobbing slightly upon thermal breezes. It drifts out of view and then traffic resumes as normal and the volume of noise returns once more....

*You can head down toward the docks, once you get there will you investigate the businesses or try to see where the ships actually tie up? You didn't actually see any ships the first time.*

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#163 Post by ylinett »

Thorax is intensely curious about the lady and the strange men, but is not sure that he is the right one to approach. Looking to Tella he will slightly motion his head in an asking manner.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by ybn1197 »

Cormack will walk out of the inn as the strange men leave and note the direction they travel while attempting to keep himself from being noticed by them.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Inferno »

I am the second to second it. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#166 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

Tella will shrug very slightly to Thorax conferring a "no idea" to him. She'll follow the others out.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

GreyWolfVT

#167 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble looks to the others "Rather strange encounter wouldn't you say? Then again for a place of this nature perhaps that is the norm here?" seeking guidance from Ganon the parties expert on the nature of folks the likes of which dwell in this skullport place.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#168 Post by ylinett »

Thorax overcome by curiosity approaches the woman. Silent in his black armor of Dwarven Plate he waits to be addressed. Perhaps he will not give himself away for what he is...

If needed or appropriate he will state "Am drawn to this meeting by fate or folly?"

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by Darkmane »

Just before Thorax speaks, the lady looks at him and says, "Did you have a good stay sir dwarf? If there is anything we can do better at DeepFires, we would love to know. I know this is a dark city, but I like to think of my inn as a refuge for all. My name is Vhondryl, the owner here."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Inferno »

Tantos Vek, failed paladin:

Silenced and recoiling from the horrific spectacle of this vast, heinous city, Vek is content to wait for the others to finish their interactions with the mad menagerie of this fresh new Hell.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#171 Post by ylinett »

Thorax ponders for a moment..."Your lodgings are excellent, but we require a shuttle service. Do you, or can you offer conveyance?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by DadsAngry »

Ganon:

Ganon shrugs his shoulders to Glimble. "I'm usually good at reading situation but this place is too weird even for me. It looks like Thorax is going to test the waters for us."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#173 Post by Darkmane »

Hey gang, I've been really busy, should be able to post this weekend.

GreyWolfVT

#174 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble "Ah well I understand that at least it is not just myself that is having that trouble in this place."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by Darkmane »

Vhondryl squints up her face at Thorax's words and says, "Hmmm, are ye adventurers that wandered into this place by chance? I should be able to get you out of the port if that is what you are looking for, but just as the prices of my inn are steep, so will be the charge for the service. I would ask 500 gold pieces, on the spot, for a safe journey out of here."

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#176 Post by ylinett »

Thorax with a small bit of bitble retorts. "No. We did not stumble upon this place. We have business here and the prices are not steep, they are commensurate with the quality of the service. I am inclined to pay let me see if the others are ready to leave now or if they require some time. And I am safe in assuming you do not mean to simply walk us to the dock and put us on a boat, correct?". Thorax's tone is firm and leaves no room for guessing. He implies that they already know about the boats and he is looking for something more.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#177 Post by Darkmane »

The lady looks at the dwarf slyly, "Did you see those two grey skinned men? I happen to know they are departing for Waterdeep in minutes. They only need a few moments of preparation. They are known as Gith, a race of extra-planar humanoids. I can speak to them, a feat you wouldn't be able to achieve. For 500 gold I'm sure I could convince them to take you in moments to the streets above the surface. It is of little effort to them."

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#178 Post by ylinett »

Everyone ready and agree?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#179 Post by DadsAngry »

Ganon:

"This excursion has been costly and gained us little. The quicker we get out of here the safe my coin purse is."

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#180 Post by ylinett »

"I would argue we gained much, but we can discuss that when we are back."

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”