Chapter 24: Domain of the Dead

Inferno
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 24: Domain of the Dead

#81 Post by hedgeknight »

Dahinna

The rogue gasps at the sight of the gigantic visage of their former companion. She listens as Cruloc talks and wonders if this is indeed the day they die in this wretched place. Nevertheless, she pulls an arrow from her new quiver and lays it against her fist, fitting it into place.
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu's evaluation of the items splayed out is ceased immediately upon the arrival of their former comrade. He hesitates in his optimism until it can be certain there is cause for it...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri stands motionless for a moment regarding Cruloc after the warrior pulls his hand back from the amulet. An uncharacteristic act for such a brave and vicious man. Suddenly a chuckle escapes him.

"It's a good thing I interrupted you, Cruloc. Grandfather can be a real pain in the ass, and rarely much help. He couldn't save us from dying with his antics. ...We are dead, right? It feels kind of the same as being alive..." he says, half-jokingly.

He quiets and looks at the motionless body of Zahra soberly. "Maybe we're not dead after all." Then after another moment, "It's good to see you all again. Can I have my things back now?" Without waiting for an answer, he begins gathering up his belongings. In spite of his careless words about Grandfather, he takes care replacing his ancestor in the accustomed place about his neck.
WHAT'S UP, FOOLS? It's good to be back! I missed this game and hanging out with you all...

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by jemmus »

Torix wonders at Kiri's sudden appearance. "Back from the dark grotto of the dead?" he thinks. His mind, heart, and gut immediately sink into gray dread. "Killed in the city of the worshippers of Death, the place where dead men advance in armor and thrust spears and swing swords. Is that what has happened to our spear companion Kiri Khutan, the strange warrior-sorcerer from far, far to the east? A moving, fighting corpse, battling more wildly and mindlessly than a Vanir or Cimmerian berserker?" He steps a step back and observes, flint-headed spear cautiously held in both hands and angled to the fore.

And then a thought occurs to him. "What if of all of us? To be killed by the followers of the god of Death, then to have the god make you stand again? And go against and kill the living?"

But then, Kiri quiets and looks at the motionless body of Zahra soberly. "Maybe we're not dead after all." Then after another moment, "It's good to see you all again. Can I have my things back now?" Without waiting for an answer, he begins gathering up his belongings. In spite of his careless words about Grandfather, he takes care replacing his ancestor in the accustomed place about his neck. None of the moving and fighting bodies in the god of death's city had done anything like that. In the tradition of the Picts when challenging ghosts and demons of the woods and bush, he calmly and firmly says, Eegur e minee? Ga ra fath rom e fatheenom! Knowing that slain friend Kiri wouldn't likely know the language of the Pictish people, but that a demon or trapped soul from beyond would know the meaning of any words or thoughts, he awaits the reply to the challenge.
Awesome woodcut image of a visualized Pict added just as a visual reminder about PC Torix is. And as a reminder about what an awesome badass he is. :D
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by jemmus »

Torix observes Kiri's reaction and thinks, "He's no demon or man possessed by a demon. A demon must speak it's name when it's demanded." He relaxes and nods to Kiri. Welcome back, friend. From wherever you've been. Please don't say.

He examines the metal-headed spear Zahra took from the jelly thing. The point is not as sharp as his spear's razor-edged flint one. But it's less brittle, and maybe better against the armor of the soldiers. Men who fight not like warriors, but in mindless groups, like ants. Like Aquilonians. He'll test the spear in battle. The only way to know which of the two is better.

The gods of the thunder, lightning, and hail drive and sway the trees with their winds. He looks at his two quivers. Eight of two dozen arrows left. Enough for maybe one, two fights. Not enough for another trek into the underground crypt city of the dead. Maybe he can find a soldier there-- living, dead or undead, no matter-- with a full quiver.

He looks around him in the gusting wind. It seems that everything in the nature around is stagnatn, stunted, and just hanging onto life. "Nothing growing, plants, prey, or predators. No food here. The city of the dead is taboo not only to the Picts, but to the four-legged and winged as well." He takes two bundles of dry rations taken from slain friends' Grigor's and Zahra's packs. Two days' food, not enough. We move, hunt, trade, rest, heal? Come back strong? He begins gathering stones for a cairn for Grigor.
PCs

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

With the unpleasant symphony of the Pictish tongue ringing in his ears, Cruloc’s weathered right hand, calloused from years of wielding the sword and as hard as the stone cliffs of his unforgiving homeland, instinctively jerks towards the dagger strapped to his sinewy thigh. The guttural grunts of the painted forest-dwellers, resembling snarls of feral dogs fighting over scraps, invariably preceded sudden and ferocious night-fighting in the villages of the western borderlands.

He stays his hand, slowly pushing the half-drawn weapon back into its worn leather scabbard. Plainly, it will take more time to accustom himself to Pictish speech. “A river choked with debris, all noise and no meaning,” he muses inwardly.

Cruloc stalks toward Kiri with wary steps, his nostrils flaring as he scents the air around the returned Easterner. Half-crouched, he brings his nose within inches the conjurer's naked torso.

Sniff. Sniff. Sniff.

A grin crosses the Cimmerian’s grimy countenance.
“He stinks.”

Straightening, Cruloc seizes Kiri’s wrist, thick as a sheaf of autumn wheat, and thrusts it triumphantly skyward. He turns to the still dubious others, his confidence absolute that the Kambujan is no apparition and has not joined his odourless grandfather in the afterlife.
“HE STINKS!”

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by hedgeknight »

Dahinna

The rogue watches and listens with mouth agape and her stomach in knots. Is this some trick of Thanatos or is it really their companion alive and well again? Torix speaks to Kiri as he gathers his things...even though Dahinna is reluctant to hand over his bow and a few arrows...and then brave Cruloc gives Kiri a good sniffing and proclaims "HE STINKS!"
Dahinna can't help but smile and give over the bow and arrows. "Kiri...how?" is all she can muster.

Sheet updated with coins and rations.
Dahinna is ready to move out of this place, regardless of where they go.
Winter is coming...

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"By Crom, we must rest our weary bones and refill our stores! When I departed Shadizar, I was as spent as a coin tossed in a beggar's bowl, but a faint smile lingered upon my lips for days after. This rotting city has given us nothing. Our spoils we have pried from its clenched fists - each coin a victory hard-won. I rejoice not in what we have gained but in what we have not lost - our lives and our bond."

The barbarian's gaze sweeps over each of his comrades in succession, his blue eyes seeming to look through them, as if catching a fleeting glimpse of some hidden truth known only to those intimate with loss. Inhaling deeply, he looks upward at the forested canopy and listens for birds which do not sing.

"Mayhap Torix can guide us to grounds which teem with prey."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Inferno »

Near the Ruins of Thracia, Pictland, the World of Hyboria
Day Sixteen. Morning. 26th day of the month of Qrot, 1280th year of the Age of Aquilonia

In the eerily silent woods within the domain of the dead, Kiri has seemingly risen from the grave in time to find his friends casting lots for his possessions.

Nigh to mortally wounded, the grievously injured giant collects his belongings with hands caked in his own blood.

Dahinna notices amongst another dead friend's gear the serpentine armband that Zahra bought at the Aquilonian frontier fort.

"Found on a savage. But no Pict made this," the fat merchant had said.

Taking stock of their meager supplies, the adventurers are faced with the likelihood of starvation in this unnatural region blighted by the very presence of the Forbidden City of the Dead.

If they would court death and madness again, descending once more into the mysterious Underworld, they will need food, water and arrows. Cruloc and Torix wish to venture into the wild, deadly realm of the Picts to forage and trade.

Knowing that the group is her only chance for survival here, Dahinna will bow to the will of the majority.

Amethu and Kiri have yet to acknowledge this invitation into a howling wilderness of merciless savagery. Then Kiri gifts a large quiver of arrows to Torix, removing one reason for the expedition.

Replies? Actions? (and everyone please deduct one ration from your sheet for today)

Map:
The adventurers' camp is due west of the red X.

PC Status:
Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 4/3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 17/17, Spells: 3/8 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl
Cruloc: Cimmerian Northman Barbarian 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 26/54
Dahinna: Zamoran Southwoman Thief 5: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 19/25
Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 3/3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 2/21, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Torix: Pict Savage Barbarian 4: Move: 12", AC: 2, HP: 22/38

PC Magic:
None currently

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by jemmus »

Torix accepts Kiri's generous gift from his personal stock of arrows with a nod of appreciation and respect. He puts them into his empty second quiver and returns Kiri's quiver to him. Very good arrows. Thank you, friend. He nods with the same quiet appreciation and respect to the Cimmerian Cruloc, who'd drawn four arrowed from his small supply to offer. Thank you, Cimmerian. Cruloc. I carry these, we share.

He takes dry rations from his slung bag and chews them slowly. After this, enough for one more day. He says to the group, I know a Pict village three days walk from here. North, still far from the Aquilonians. The Pict village are not my friends, but my clan and their clan don't fight or kill. We can buy food and arrows, torches. Get running water and hunt for meat on the way.

The Pict hunters run one or two days from the village. They catch outsiders, they will give to Jhebbal Sag. Pict ghost... god of beasts. And men who are like beasts. After one day's walk, I'll walk ahead 100 steps, watching for Picts. I'll carry a spear or bow in my weak hand and... mistletoe? or an oak stick with leaves in my strong hand. If I say "Kefel!" it means I'm talking to Picts. It means, "It's good" in Pict language. No war, good between us. Then, I think you hold back and listen and wait. But if I yell, "Watch!" in Aquilonian, it means something else from the thick woods is coming.

Sorry, I talk much now. But two more. Warrior Kiri needs to heal before we walk through the forest, I think. One more day? And...
He hesitates before the masked priest/invoker of unworldly energies, the proffers Zahra's Thracian spear for inspection. Priest Amethu, can you see if this spear has good god power on it? Can you see if it has curse death god power on it?
PCs

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by hedgeknight »

Inferno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:22 pm Dahinna notices amongst another dead friend's gear the serpentine armband that Zahra bought at the Aquilonian frontier fort.

"Found on a savage. But no Pict made this," the fat merchant had said.
If possible Dahinna would like to wear this in Zahra's honor. "Her fierce spirit can watch over me," she murmurs, trying not to cry again in front of her companions.
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu takes great interest in examining any piece of actual lore from ancient history. He applies his own knowledge to seeing what clues he can glean from the artifact, if any....

[1d20]=11

[1d100]=5

"I'm not sure how much I can tell you, to be honest, of it's purpose. I can be very clear of their purpose and legacy in the days to come if I study the spells that will reveal the secrets of such artifacts to me. Patience and all can be revealed."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri makes no reference to his own precarious state, nor shows much emotion at all until it is declared that “he stinks.” He smiles at this.

“Yes,” he says simply. Then, “we do need a bit of rest, perhaps, if we are to continue with this plan. It’s a good one, I think. We must leave this place if we are to find food.”

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

Cruloc, long fearful of the arcane and the occult, strokes the blade of the magical Sword of Xuthalhotep as he would the silken thigh of a Zamoran whore. Its weird power courses up his muscled forearm, but strangely, it fails to offend his senses as it once might have. Perhaps witnessing the benevolent power of wizardry wielded by Amethu and Kiri since before their glorious victory over Zargoth has revealed the line between steel and sorcery that he may henceforth tread.

"It is a time for firsts," he observes. "I bear an enchanted sword, and I heed the words of a Pict."

The Cimmerian is duly impressed with Torix's plainspokenness and good sense. With a respectful nod, he declares, "Torix right. Me follow," bastardising his speech so that the savage may understand.

OoC: Cruloc employs his rudimentary healing skills on whomever is in need.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Inferno »

Near the Ruins of Thracia, Pictland, the World of Hyboria
Day Sixteen. 26th day of the month of Qrot, 1280th year of the Age of Aquilonia

At Torix's behest, wise, pale Amethu examines Zahra's spear, found deep within the amoebic horror that caused Grigor's eventual death.

The weapon is a peerless example of Atlantean craftsmanship, seemingly forged in Atlantis herself or her inland colony, Thracia at the pinnacle of their mastery. But its condition is too magnificent to be that ancient.

Soon, the adventurers agree upon the path they must take. Day and night pass without incident in the eerily silent woods near the Forbidden City.

To be continued in... Chapter 25: Tooth and Claw
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun