Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 27: Mark of the Beast

#201 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Haunted Wood, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-three. Past Midnight. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear

Ingrid the damned is momentarily staggered as she transgresses against her god, wielding heinous powers of necromantic evil!

Unawares, Long Bo and Mouser return from their search, having stood doors open, left their scent, and discovered another summoning circle at the eastern edge of the empty lair.

Reunited in the torture chamber, the doomed heroes suddenly wheel in surprise as five sickening undead horrors lurch through the eastern door! Swords fly from scabbards before dreadful realization sets in. Ingrid Esthof commands them!

The thing that was Amity Mantle smiles wickedly through her gag.

Ingrid seems different, changed. Especially to the eyes of Jerome. A shadow falls across priestess' face as she confesses her sin. Then, "Let's get to the bunk room and start the ritual."

Urdur is decided on his final phantasm. The grey druid suggests they also barricade the door between the torture chamber and the kitchen, and that Ingrid silences the bedchamber before the exorcism begins.

Spinge-tingling howls from the depths of Hell grow nigh to deafening behind the barricade to the caverns, and little Amity begins to laugh with malevolent joy.

Actions?!

Map Detail:
One square = 5 feet.

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/36, Torch
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl, Torch
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Urson »

Jerome
You made these, Priestess Ingrid? Jerome's distaste for Ingrid's method and results is obvious in his face and voice. He holds his holy symbol in one hand, and seems ready to banish the undead right there. But he stops, shakes his head, and moves on.
Will you require an assistant, Priestess?

I suggest that everyone else man the barricades and make ready. We have a long, hard battle ahead. If your gods will listen, pray to them for strength.

Jerome takes a position near the eastern end of the barricade, getting the best view he can manage down the tunnel toward the cave mouth. He lays his quiver beside him and readies his longbow.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur concentrates on maintaining his illusion.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#204 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo isn't sure what to make of the words of Jerome, but he is not yet willing to abandon the plans they have already started to set in place.

"Man the barricades? I thought we were going to attempt subterfuge, master Jerome? "

"If you are so willing to face our innumerable assailants head on, with no thought given to our preparations, then I would suggest that you try leading the wolves away from this place so that Ingrid might have a better chance of success with her scroll."

Again the druid urges the others to enter the barracks room where they can apply their final spells of silence and illusion.

"If anyone has a good idea how to mask our scent in here, now would be a good time to make that suggestion."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome frowns a moment, then shakes his head and falls back with the others.
My apologies. I suppose Priestess Ingrid's blasphemy has shaken me more than I
knew.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#206 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Yes, Jerome, I have committed an unpardonable sin, hoping to barter my soul for that of young Amity. I'm sure I have displeased my god, but that will be a concern if we are able to survive. Now, let's get to the barracks and I'll cast Silence before starting the exorcism. When they get to the bunk room, Ingrid will cast Silence 15' Radius on a coin and give it to Jerome. This needs to stay near the door or it will prevent me from casting the spell. She hands Bo a scroll. If I am unable to use this, there is a Dispel Magic spell on this that can be used to remove the magic animating the zombies should any still remain. She will then begin the exorcism on Amity, in the far back corner of the room.
I posted a few rounds worth of actions as I did not know how much time the next update would cover.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser looks over his shoulder at the number of doors that haven't been explored. He'll keep to the back of the group quietly listening for anything approaching from the rear. His nerves already frayed, he can't stomach the twisted laughter of the girl. "Someone stuff a rag in her mouth for godsakes! Keep her quiet!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome reluctantly takes the coin, and finds a crack in the doorframe to wedge it in.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by ChubbyPixie »

His eyes going ta bit wide at the appearance of the zombies, Telkis, once he realizes what's going on, appreciates the danger in which Ingrid places her mortal soul... as far as he knows, knowing little of such things. He'll position himself just on the other side of the illusion cast by Urdur on the door, ready to attack anything that somehow makes it through.

"I hope this works," he says, from inside the cone of silence, and so his possible last words go unheard by anyone...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Inferno »

The horror continues in... Chapter 28: The Exorcism
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun