Inferno
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 17: The Island of Death

#381 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:
Bluetongue wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 pm Loche
Are we still in danger of the giant rats or have they disappeared?
"I think we will be fine for a while. I fed them all the mushrooms I picked earlier."

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#382 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

The relief he feels that the healing talc purged the ocular plague from his body is greater than even the soaring cliffs of mist-shrouded Cimmeria. He would give thanks to Crom if he felt any gratitude toward his indifferent god. His innate fear of the undead - one among dozens inhabiting the untamed, unsophisticated corners of his psyche - grows, chills his very soul, and freezes the blood throbbing in his veins!

"Verily," he mumbles, "the monsters I’ve encountered on my journeys defy the words of sane men."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu is repulsed yet intrigued by the power of the dark gods to bring down such twisted afflictions. What other twisted and vile perversions yet wait in this heart of the demon god...

With a moment to breathe he examines the room they find themselves in for any further exits or a way to barricade the room they are in for a brief respite.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Zahra relaxes as the healing commences. She blushes scarlet at her previous terror, her white hair and eyebrows in stark contrast to the reddening of her skin.
When she has composed herself, she follows Loche toward the northern door.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#385 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorxen breaths a sigh of relief as the strange affliction wanes.

He moves around the room checking for anything hidden that the others might have missed.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#386 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Garrin is grateful he does not have to use the oil and torch on his companions' arms. He helps the others search the room, sword and shield ready for any further unseen dangers.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by Inferno »

The Island of Death, The Underground City, Beneath the Great Pyramid of Xuthalhotep
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Ten. Afternoon?, 23rd day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

The terrible burden of eyes abates. The maddening itching subsides and the closed red welts are safely hidden from sight behind cloth bandages.

The superstitious barbarian shudders with a primal dread. "The monsters I’ve encountered on my journeys defy the words of sane men."

The empty chamber divulges none of its secrets to the beleaguered explorers. All they find are stagnant pools of water, and one door set into the unnatural, other-spatial lines of architecture that afflict this accursed place and the minds of all who dwell here.

Loche and Zahra approach the lone door and can barely hear distant chanting from beyond it. The strange, alien vocalizations are unnervingly human.

Actions?!

Map Detail:
One square = 10 feet.

Map:

PC Status:
Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 3/3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 15/15, Spells: 2/7 1st lvl, 1/4 2nd lvl, Lantern
Cruloc: Cimmerian Northman Barbarian 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 37/45
Garrin: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 3: Move: 12", AC: 3(1), HP: 14/26, Laying Hands: 1/1
Loche: Pict Savage Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 31/32
Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 7(5), HP: 12/12, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl
Xorzen: Verulian Osoran Monk 4: Move: 18", AC: 6, HP: 10/16
Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 4: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 24/29, Light spell on javelin

PC Magic:
Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
Healing Mists of Osorus (Garrin, Kiri, Loche, Mako and Xorzen have breathed of the mists): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
Invisibility (Mako): Target: self.
Slow Poison (Amethu): Target: Cruloc. Duration: 127 rounds.
Light (Mako): Target: Zahra's javelin. Duration: 25 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Zahra, knowing the limits of her skills, holds her position, ready to protect Loche if things get rough.

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#389 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

Only halfway certain that the eyes will not return, Cruloc prods his bandaged arm with unease.

Undulled by the comforts of civilisation, his keen barbarian's ears discern the far off chanting several heartbeats before the others do, and the dust of shadowed centuries stirs but slightly at his panther-like tread. Softly the Cimmerian advances along the eastern wall, eyes fixed on the unopened door, weapon drawn in anticipation of a red harvest.

"Hnh," he laughs, dropping his voice conspiratorially. "Zargoth's followers, I'll wager. My sword is parched, and their singing will sound all the sweeter with their guts hanging from their split bellies!"
Last edited by Yrkoon on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu looks back into the dark room of undead. "We should consider that if we re-enter that room, the ghoulish creatures may be alerted again to our presence and attack. Let's not assume they sleep soundly...."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#391 Post by Bluetongue »

Loche

Well how are we going to do this? Open the door and charge in like some murder hobo's? I would prefer if we can assess what dangers are in the room and plan any advantage we can get.

I am happy to sneak in the shadows along one wall, tucking into alcoves. A better unseen option is Mako scouting ahead. But unseen is not unheard or unscented.

The savage muses over options as he checks the door and stonework frame for signs of physical traps and locks. He greases the hinges with some oil dripped from a quill to lubricate squeaky joints. Hoping that will lessen any giveaway sound to the focused chanters.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#392 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

"I'm no scout, Loche. If you envy my cloak of eyes I can bestow the same onto you or any other. I have expressed this before with the blowing of the wind in my ear as a response."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#393 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xorxen nods his masked head emphatically at the presented idea of planning their next moves carefully.

"I too would be willing to enter into the darkness to see what could be learned once beyond this door."

The monk watches the hinges of the door being oiled, making a mental note of such an outstanding idea.

"But I don't mind being magically hidden either, in case the shadows betray my movements," he exclaims as he moves closer to Mako.

As the group discusses the intricacy of their next actions, Xor uses his normal javelin to prod around in the puddles of water on the floor, in case there is anything important hidden within any of them.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#394 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

"As you wish," Mako says to Xorxen.
Casts Invisibility on Xorxen
"You now walk with the unseen spirits until you strike. Take heed to where you step for no one else can see where you stand."
"I have the strength for one more today if another wish."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#395 Post by Bluetongue »

Loche

"Remaining invisible is a gift to be sure but like you advised, one offensive move and the cloak is unveiled. Best to use the last spell when a my important action than just maneuvering into an advantageous backstab is needed.

I will cloak my self in shadows and stick to the eastern walls."

He sees Xorzen fade from view, just the rippling pool indicating where he prods. He opens the door a few inches to allow the unseen comrade to slip through, then passes himself, hugging the wall to his right hand side.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#396 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If nothing in the pools kills him, the newly unseen Xorxen pats Loche on his shoulder before passing through the cracked door, sticking to the opposite wall as he enters.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by Urson »

Zahara
Zahra holds position, watching the rear. No sense in being a white cat in a dark room.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by Inferno »

The adventure continues in... Chapter 18: Kingdom Come
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun