Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 27: Mark of the Beast

#41 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-three. Night. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

The heroes shield themselves as the grey druid calmly traces mystic symbols in the air before they are engulfed by the swarm!

In the eye of the maelstrom, Long Bo speaks in the ancient language of bats!

Actions?!

Behind the DM Screen:
Party surprised? (1-2): [1d6] = 5 No.
Initiative: Party: [1d6] = 6, Monsters: [1d6] = 1 Party wins. Bo can cast his spell before he is engulfed.

PC Status:
Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 36/36
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 3/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34, Torch
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Invisibility (Urdur): Target: self.
Speak With Animals (Bo): Duration: 9 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser remains outwardly still while is memory reels at the flurry of bats - a susurrus of sound that echoes of voices recently cast out. Or so he thought? Is there no escape?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo tries to calm his real friends before speaking with these animals.

"Hold that torch low and cover it as best you can! Do not try to strike out at them. Perhaps we may be able to use these creatures to our advantage."

To the flying bats, he exclaims in nearly inaudible squeaks and chirps....

"Calm yourselves friends! We are not here to hurt you! In fact, I will help you if I can!"

"We seek the possessed girl and her wolf minions. We know that you do not want them here in your cave, so we are willing to aid you in evicting them, if we can."

"If you will take your perches upon the rocks again, I will explain myself better so that we may come to an agreement before any of us gets hurt."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur listens to the odd squeaks coming from the druid and the bats. He waits for a response from Long Bo before moving any further.

Sorry for my delay. Got some family stuff going on.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#45 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric crouches down, trying to avoid the bats the best she can while the druid speaks with them.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#46 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I was privately instructed to continue Bo's proposal, so here goes..... :?
The hunched druid continues to chirp and chit at the bats.

"As you can tell, though not a bat myself, I do possess the means to speak with you. I can preform other fantastical feats as well, and one of them might be of specific interest to you all, especially during this current season of limited food sources. I can summon an entire swarm of tasty insects for you to devour. All I ask in return is for your help with evicting the men and wolves hiding deep within these caves."

"We intend to go deeper inside to root out the evil that has overtaken these people. All I would ask of you is to follow us, and to be ready to swarm anyone inside that might try to stop us. Though you are not large, you have much power with your vast numbers, and I think that would be extremely beneficial to help disrupt anyone shooting at us or trying to cast magic spells against us."

"So, what do you say about that my friends? Are you willing to aid us in clearing out your home here, with the promise of more food than you could possibly eat?"

The druid looks at his friends again and shrugs, hoping that his odd plea for aid is sufficient.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear.

The swarm of nocturnal predators whirls around the heroes in a vortex of screeching and flapping!

At the grey druid's request they alight again upon the roof of the subterranean cavern.

In the eerie tongue of bats, Long Bo offers his otherworldly services to forge a pact with the bloodthirsty flock.

"Nay, human! Now get ye gone from here!" One hisses as they crowd into the air once more on leathery wings!

Actions?!

Behind the DM Screen:
Reaction roll, as per DMG p.63:
Bats' reaction to Bo: [1d100+15] = 7+15 = 22 :(

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 3/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 1/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Speak With Animals (Bo): Duration: 8 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by wolfpack »

Once the bats stop Brevos will move out of the cave deeper into the tunnel

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Sorry, Inferno, I thought I had posted last round. oh, well.
Jerome stays low, trying to stay out of the flock as he follows Brevos. He's no tracker, and he's well aware of this- but he'll keep an eye out for tracks he can point out to the others.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#50 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo is perturbed by the reaction of the stubborn puritan bats, but he hides his emotions as best he can.

He urges Telkis to either douse or cover the open flame before he follows the others deeper into the cave.

"Lets move on. Maybe they will allow us to pass through like the others in here if we don't show them any aggression."

If the bats do start to swarm the group, Bo turns to head for the exit again, urging the others to follow.

Scott308

#51 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric will follow Bo into the cave, ready to swat at any bats that get near her hair.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear.

The doomed heroes escape the cavern of swarming bats, delving deeper into the strange subterranean realm.

Following the great horned owl that guides them, they pass more eerie underground formations.

It's as if the stones themselves have been warped by the unspeakable evil that stalks their nightmares - the evil that lies dreaming beneath these mountains for unholy eternities - the Dark Mother.

If this is Its impact upon the mighty roots of the mountain range, what frightful effect would It have upon frail and mortal Men?

After more tense exploration, deeper and further into the unnatural underworld, they see light, and smell smoke and food. Telkis keeps his torch behind his shield as the heroes quietly edge forward with mounting dread and trepidation.

They find an unlikely cavity with smooth, man-made walls; a storeroom of some kind holding barrels and sacks. Laughter and firelight emanate from an adjacent area. Breathless and careful, the heroes creep into the storeroom and peer through its open door.

The sight they behold haunts them for the rest of their days.

Actions?!

Map:

PC Status:

PC Magic:

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by wolfpack »

Staying out of sight Brevos scans the room for the child

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser stares at the horror before them. The macabre sight is etched in his memory forever. "Good god..." he whispers. "Or maybe not if this practice is allowed to be..."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome grips the handle of his cudgel in one white-knuckled hand. He grits his teeth so hard, he can feel a chip break off one of his molars.
Every fiber of his being screams for him to charge in, slaughtering the ungodly- his legs tremble as he forces himself to hold position.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#56 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo almost chokes at the sight before them, before carefully placing his hands on the shoulders of the 2 men in front of him, hoping to lead the group back out of the room where they can discuss their options.

if everyone agrees....

The druid whispers to the others once they are far enough away again that they shouldn't be heard.

"Despite their heinous acts, I believe those folks are simply possessed, unable to understand the evils they commit. Do we have any way to immobilize the entire group at once? Perhaps if they are spared, and we are able to eliminate the source of their possession, they may yet be saved."

Running out of options at this point, Bo will not restrain anyone wishing to put a stop to this madness immediately.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by wolfpack »

I do not think they are simply possessed, they are the wolfpack in human form. It is to late to save them they have been through more than a singke cycle of the moon.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome allows himself to be led back. His eyes are fixed on the light from the slaughterhouse. I think you are right. This is the pack. I would be glad to lead the charge- I'm almost desperate to do it. But we're outnumbered.
How can we do this?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear.

Brevos searches the smiling faces of the happy children, eager for delicious treats. Amity Mantle is not among them.

Despite their horror and loathing, the heroes hesitate to slaughter women and children, no matter how depraved.

They quietly retreat to confer upon the unholy acts they will soon commit in the name of all that is holy.

Actions?!

Map:

PC Status:

PC Magic:

Player Resources:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#60 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I don't see Amity in that room. We should backtrack, see if we missed another passage where she may be. As much as I hate to allow those...those...despicable acts to continue, I think right now we have to leave them alone and focus on the task at hand.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”