Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

Inferno
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

#101 Post by hedgeknight »

Exhaustion has set in and Gilly can barely lift her pick. She grunts as she swings and gets nothing for it. Rattling off a string of curses, she drops the heavy weapon and reaches for the Elven blade at her waist.
What the frack? Can't hurt to use this Elvish piece of shite.
But she keeps her thoughts to herself; no need to jinx it or anything, she thinks.
Footman's Pick: [1d20] = 6 Damage: [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

Red snarls and snaps his teeth, but doesn't fare any better.
Red Attacks: [1d20] = 7 Bite Dmg: [1d4] = 4
Winter is coming...
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by rredmond »

With a quick thought to Estë, a hope for Folco's grog, and a deep breath, Naruthirdor moves to the far northern part of the passageway. He then stoops as low as he can to run across to grab Tinuwen and, with a quiet nod to Gilwennen, pull her back to Folco and Glasik.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#103 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeing no objection from his friends who are still standing, Folco pours a small amount of the jugs contents into Glasik’s mouth, trying not to spill any, just in case it actually does revive the dwarf.

“Please don’t punch me if this should work, mister Glasik. This stuff smells like the ass end of a dead pony, so I can’t imagine how bad this’ll taste. I sure hope it don’t turn you inta anything............unnatural.”
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen continues to bleed silently.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin vainly tries to keep up the onslaught... his thoughts, however, are on his bleeding brother behind him...

Long Sword Attack [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 (THACO=19)
Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9 / L: [1d12+1] = 1+1 = 2
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Kneeling over his friend's lifeless form, Folco the hobbit gently pours some of the foul-smelling orc grog into the dwarf's mouth. “Please don’t punch me if this should work, Mister Glasik!... I sure hope it don’t turn you inta anything... unnatural.”

Glasik tastes the burning liquid. He feels a hot fierce glow flow through him. His pain vanishes and his eyes open wide. (+6hp)

Nearby, Naruthirdor drags back Tinuwen's arrow-riddled form as Gilly falters from blood loss!

Gilwennen leans her torch against a wall and thrusts her elf-spear over Red into the chest of a vicious orcish malefactor, smiting him dead with one lunge! (G29)

Therone fells another wicked fiend with the merciless arc of her elf-blade! (G28)

But the evil orcs hold their ground!

Beset on all sides, Elbenarin hasn't space enough to swing true his enchanted sword! The valiant Dunedain ranger is overwhelmed by vile enemies, and falls beneath their curving blades! (-9hp)

Actions?!

Map Detail:

Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: -7/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: -6/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 5/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 4/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 5/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: -4/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 2/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: -3/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 8/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 35 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone advances to (G 25), snarling and spitting random vulgarities. She attacks.
[1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 sword
Longsword s/m [1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5
FA FO
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by rredmond »

"Huzzah Mr. Folco!" Naruthirdor says quietly upon his return, "I have brought you another for your ministrations." Naruthirdor lays Tinuwen down, and goes back for Rumil, carefully but quickly.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly leaps over the dead orcs and attacks with her elven blade...but the grip is unwieldy and she nearly drops it!
Elven Sword: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2 Damage: [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 FML!!

Red's teeth do him no good either.
Red Attacks: [1d20] = 2 Bite Dmg: [1d4] = 3
Gilly sends him back to watch over Glasik.
Winter is coming...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco smirks a little as Glasik comes around again, but he knows they aren’t out of the high weeds yet. He shakes the jug to see how much of the grog remains, ready to offer the dwarf another swig if he’d like, or to pour some down the throat of Tinuwen next.

He keeps an ear and an eye out for any more orcs that may be approaching as he tends to the fallen.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#112 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Coughing as he revives, Glasik opens his eyes only to see the hobbit hovering over him. What. Was. That?...Don't ever do...eh, never mind. Reaching for his weapon, he starts getting to his feet. That tastes like goblin dung, but I give you credit for trying something different. Good job getting the warriors back in the fight. With a shout of Ironfooooot! the dwarf charges into battle.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

The accursed, wicked orcs surround the bloody form of the fallen Dunedain, laughing with perverse revelry.

Then they turn around.

Their insidious mocking dies in their throats and their leering smiles are wiped from their hideous faces. While their backs were turned, their front line had been hacked asunder. Their dead lay in heaps around them, leaving them outnumbered and outmatched. The advantage that their venomous ambush had offered is gone. The fickle tides of war have turned against them. They look into the fierce, defiant faces of bloodied elves and dwarves, and their black hearts fall.

With no stomach for a fair fight, the craven fiends cry in the Black Speech of Mordor "Kurrauz!" calling each other back as they slink into the northern darkness, licking their wounds and swearing bitter oaths of revenge! "Our chance will come! We'll be waiting for you!"

All around the surviving heroes of the Company lay their fallen friends, slowly bleeding to death!

Actions?!

Map Detail:

One square = 10 feet. Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
Initiative: Good: [1d6] = 1, Evil: [1d6] = 3 Evil wins.
The orcs' morale breaks and they flee before the Company can act.
None of them are in melee with an opponent, so no one gets a free opportunity attack against them.

This causes half your actions to be rendered moot. But Folco, Glasik and Naruthirdor: if you wish to keep the same action you posted, simply post it again.

This DM post handled the first half of a melee round: the orcs' actions. Next comes your half.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: -8/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: -7/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 5/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 4/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 5/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: -5/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 2/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: -3/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 8/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 34 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#114 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco is glad to see Glasik so willing to rush back into the fight. He continues his action of trying to determine how much grog is left in the jug while administering a drink to Tinuwen next.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone moves to the mouth of the northern tunnel, panting. She stands there, ready to defend the others while the near-dead are collected.
FA FO
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by rredmond »

"Quick the rangers," Naruthirdor says with urgency to the party. He heads back to get Elbenwin (who is the farthest I think) he hurries until he gets to the north passage, then he peeks cautiously around, but will drag Elbenwin back to get healing.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen will collect Elbenarin, hastily dragging him eastwards, away from the northern opening, and then immediately setting about binding his wounds once they are clear.

Wisdom Check to Bandage Wounds (9): [1d20] = 17

She fails miserably to properly care for the ranger and curses herself for being too hasty. She stays put, centers herself and resolves to try again.
Last edited by ChubbyPixie on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen remains unconscious, oblivious to her surroundings.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly follows Naruthirdor and helps with the rangers.
She uses what little natural healing skills she possesses, trying to pay back the favors for her own life spared.
She gives Glasik a firm nod to see him back on his feet...not that she doubted it or anything.
Winter is coming...
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#120 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Glasik attempts to stop Rumil's bleeding. He then shouts at the orcs in their tongue.

In Orcish:
I'm coming for youuuuuu. My axe is sharp and thirsts for Orc blood!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”