Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

Inferno
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

#21 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin stands defiant before the remaining orcs, "To the exit, Friends! I will hold until you are clear!"

Long Sword Attack [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13 (THACO=19)
Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9 / L: [1d12+1] = 5+1 = 6
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by wolfpack »

Elbnewin stands at the corner of the secret door making sure it doesn;t close again and waits until the others have made it through

brother get back here
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen stows Baudhring, draws her sword, and picks up her torch, following the others through the secret door.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

"BRIARK!"

And then the trap is sprung! The Company's vanguard is ambushed! Lured into a diabolical trap, Elbenarin, Gilly and Glasik stand in a deadly crossfire! A plague of orc arrows fill the crossroads in the western tunnel!

Grievously impaled by the insidious barbed shafts (5hp damage to Gilly, 6hp damage to Glasik), the dwarf siblings are near to death!

"Fall back!" "Fall back, we have an escape route open!" echo the cries of Therone and Rumil through the orc tunnels behind them!

Elbenwin the ranger holds his lantern to light their way out! As Naruthirdor watches the eastern channels, the elf sisters Gilwennen and Tinuwen move north through the secret passage where a fell stench assaults their senses!

Tinuwen joins Folco, his glowing blade drawn, in peering around the western corner. They find a rank troll lair!

The empty cavern holds a primitive bed of dead leaves and branches, ravaged animal carcasses, and a cave mouth that opens into the ravine! (at E)

Far to the west, in the center of the fiendish crossfire ambush, Elbenarin stands defiant, "To the exit, Friends! I will hold until you are clear!" Then he turns and charges, smiting one of the orc archers dead with a single stroke of his elf-sword! (G23)

Wounded and bloodied, Glasik and Gilly comply, wheeling and retreating from the ambush!

Then, from her new vantage point, Therone hears arrows fly from the darkness of the forwardmost southern tunnel! They rip into the retreating dwarf siblings! (6hp damage to Gilly, 1hp damage to Red)

Valiant Gilly succumbs to her many wounds, and falls!

Actions?!

Map Detail:

Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

Ravine Map:

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 7/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 8/30, Lantern
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: -2/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 1/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 5/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 5/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl, Torch
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 8/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 44 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Instantly on edge when assailed by the distinct stench of troll, Gilwennen peers around to see the cave is empty, but for how long?

“We might remain here just long enough to throw the orcs off our trail. I do not relish the thought of the troll returning, however. We are not fit for such a confrontation... unless we set an ambush of our own,” she says.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone grabs Gilly and heads for the secret door- carrying her if possible, otherwise dragging her.
FA FO
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin tries to finish the job and leave this pathway clear but shouts and screams behind distract him.

Long Sword Attack [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7 (THACO=19)
Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4 / L: [1d12+1] = 4+1 = 5
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor heads to the secret door, by moving a little west first - so as not to present his back for any arrows coming from the passageway he was watching. On the way he'll meet up with and help Therone with Gilly. The whole time casting worried glances behind him.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#29 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

The heavily bloodied dwarf checks to make sure his sister has been picked up, then will assist in carrying her into the troll den. Feeling guilt that he fled while Elbenarin stayed to fight, he glances back to make sure the Ranger is able to return to the party.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by wolfpack »

Seeing his brother not coming Elbenwin races down the hall to help him

I assume i can;t attack this round
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by hedgeknight »

Wounded gravely, Gilly hollers for Red and retreats.
"We gotta get outta these damned tunnels, brother!" she yells rushing back to her companions.

She grunts as pain sears through her ribs...and suddenly her legs give out and she falls face first, eating dirt and grit. Part of her mind tells her legs to get up...but the rest of her mind is clogged with the thumping sound of her failing heart. She feels Red tugging at her arm and she tries to find the hound with her fingers...to call his name...
Winter is coming...
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

"Fall back now!"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco looks back at Gilwennen for a second.

"How many of them do you suppose they had in here?"

He motions for Tinuwen to check the cave opening for any more orcs while he uses his illuminated sword to dig around through the entire trolls nest, hoping to find something that will help them escape this place alive.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Shaken and reeling by the sudden deaths of his fiendish kin, the last orc archer in the western dead-end (G22) backs up and looses two arrows at Elbenarin! Fear poisons his aim and both barbed missiles land in the center of the Dunedain's shield! But the craven orc covers Gilwennen's glowing pebble with his foot, instantly plunging the tunnel into darkness!

Nearly blind, Elbenarin lunges forward, driving his glimmering blade with all his might! His elf-sword cuts only the rock wall of the orc-tunnel!

Far behind him, his brother Elbenwin watches Gilly's lifeless body dragged from the suddenly darkened tunnel...

... and fears for Elbenarin's life! The brother ranger plunges west into the deep, his lantern lighting the way and heralding his coming to friend and foe alike! Cunning, hateful arrows fire from the pitch of the southern and northern tunnels, lacerating the courageous Dunedain! (3hp damage total)

Surviving the gauntlet of wicked shafts, Elbenwin reaches his brother, relighting his desperate battle!

Far behind the Dunedain rangers, Rumil calls out to them: "Fall back!"

Therone, Naruthirdor and Glasik carry Gilly past Rumil into the troll den, trailed closely by her faithful hound.

Ahead of them, Gilwennen peers into the empty troll lair as Folco dares creep into it! Tinuwen holds her position, not wanting her torchlight to fill the cave mouth and alert anyone in the ravine to their presence.

Folco finds a gruesome pile of skulls and ribs which appear frightfully human! And under the mound of dead leaves that serve as a bed he discovers a heavy leather bag that jingles when moved.

Actions?!

Map Detail:

Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

Ravine Map:

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 7/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/30, Lantern
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: -2/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 1/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 5/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 5/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl, Torch
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 8/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 43 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor kneels down near Gilly and starts first aid: First aid (WIS: 16): [1d20] = 7
"Man the door," he says hoarsely, managing to keep the fear out of his voice. "It will be good protection if anyone comes from that way... the cave opening is a different thing altogether." Hearing the jingle he looks up, "I guess it would be too much to hope the troll had any healing magic around? I have only two more doses of the King's potion."
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil moves to man the secret door so that he can close it once the brothers come through. "I have the door, clear the way so they can get in quickly."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone helps get Gilly settled, then joins Tinuwen, keeping watch on the tunnel that exits into the valley. Her sword is in hand, ready.
FA FO
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by wolfpack »

attacks the orc

[1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by ravenn4544 »

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco picks up the jingling bag, opening it carefully to check its contents. If he finds only coin, he tosses it to another by the cave mouth so he can continue his search.

Once he is sure that the stinking nest contains no more secrets, he starts checking the walls and floor for anything hidden while they wait for the others to join them in here.

"Anyone want to risk checking outside to see if the coast is clear out there?"

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”