Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

#361 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco checks the walls and floor in the area where the torchlight remains, glad to see that all of his friends have joined he and Elbenwin in the larger chamber.

He points to the orcs as he passes them on his search.

"That one and that one were carrying big glass jugs of oil. So naturally, they were the ones I targeted first. They were going to lob the fire over the troll and into your ranks, but I foiled that plan pretty darn well, if I may say so myself. Never doubt a Boffin, mi ol' dah used to say. They all lit up like an old forest once I took down the carriers." He looks down at his own badly burnt clothes and body. "I wish I could have been a little quicker getting out of their way though. Anybody got any unguent?"
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#362 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Folco, how I wish I could have seen that! It must have been a glorious sight, indeed. I'll never underestimate the courage of a hobbit again. That was a very brave thing you did. Your quick thinking and dead aim likely saved the rest of us from a fiery death.

As they enter the chamber, Glasik looks at the walls and the excavation work. Looks like a blind toddler carved this out, mutters the dwarf.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor checks the walls and orcs for any torches or oil that might be able to be salvaged. As he does so he says quietly, "I have some meager healing skill left in my hands, but no healing magic left to share, no magic whatsoever," Naruthirdor gasps, still feeling the pain of his wounds. "I still have the potion from the King, but I want to save them only for a dire need, when all else has been used. It may be that we are in that state already, though?"
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#364 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco rocks back and forth from his heels to his toes with his hands clasped behind his back as he listens to the high praise from Glasik, staring at Therone the whole time with a wide smile.

"I was terrified actually, if you want to know the truth. But I know that all of you would have done the same for me. And I would do it again too, if necessary."

He shrugs at the suggestion from Naruthirdor. "Maybe. Especially if we run into any more of those really big orcs in here."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone smiles a hard smile. Yes, Master Folco. Well done, indeed. Having seen the destruction for herself, there is no trace of mockery in her voice now.
FA FO
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by wolfpack »

We cannot stand and fight another battle such as the last. to many of us are severely injured.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin nods in agreement with his brothers words. "The Dunedain have skills for battle - but not when so weakened as we find ourselves now..."
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#368 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen lights a torch and, sword drawn, begins exploring the portion of the room that she cannot see.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly limps along, but sends Red on ahead to help scout the chamber.
"Go on and check it out, boy."

Listening to the Hobbit, she says, "Ye saved us from being bushwhacked, Folco, that's fer damn sure!'
Winter is coming...
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

"An admirable job indeed Master Folco." Rumil keeps an eye out as the others advance.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Wounded and weary, the Company nonetheless forge deeper into deadly danger. Elbenarin the ranger warns, "The Dunedain have skills for battle - but not when so weakened as we find ourselves now..."

Naruthirdor spies neither torch nor oil surviving among the smoking wreck of the grisly orc corpses. Their steaming remains are still too hot to search by hand.

Elbenwin the ranger gets his lantern alight, suddenly revealing another dead end spur to the south.

Tinuwen lights a torch and joins Gilwennen's advance west that their illumination, mundane and fantastic, might better define this rough hewn chamber. Its furthest end becomes a tunnel extending deeper into shadows darker than Sauron's soul.

Steel bared, Rumil follows the elf sisters as Therone grimly nocks an arrow.

Folco and Glasik examine the northern wall and the little hobbit finds a seam in the shape of a doorway secreted into the rock!

Scouting at the front, Gilly's faithful dog Red freezes, eyes locked west, peering into the darkness. A low growl blossoms deep in his throat and then suddenly erupts into wild barking!

Actions?!

Map:

Only the lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 7/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 8/30, Lantern
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 2/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 21/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 3/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 0/3 1st lvl, Torch
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 47 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone spits something angry-sounding and focuses her attention down the tunnel where Red stands barking.
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#373 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco winces when he hears the dog barking at something ahead, but he tries to keep his wits about him anyway. He searches around the secret door seam for any traps and for a way to open it.

"Females and runts......females and runts......" he chants over and over to himself, hoping his earlier hypothesis is correct.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by rredmond »

"Runts," Naruthirdor agrees quietly. He looks around to see that they are prepared and realizes that Gilly looks a lot rougher than the others. "Here, take a sip of this," Naruthirdor says as he moves closer to do first aid "just a third of it will do.". He stopped himself from saying swig instead of sip because, you know, dwarf. Before Gilly takes the potion, Naruthirdor does First Aid: First Aid (WIS=16): [1d20] = 10

That's 2d4+1 to you Gary! I'm guessing Inferno is good with you rolling it. Not sure if anyone has used the First Aid skill on Gilly yet, so I did just in case. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#375 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Good job, Folco! Get this open and we'll see where it goes. Turning, he spots Elbenwin. In a harsh whisper, he calls for the Dunedain's attention. Elbenwin! Folco found something- we need your light.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin moves over with the lantern to let the more nimble figure out the door
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil moves over towards Folco in case everyone needs to get through the door quickly. "Get ready to cover the lights."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by hedgeknight »

Feeling somewhat violated, but being too tired to care, Gilly allows Naruthirdor to bind her wounds and clean her up a bit. But when the Elf offers her a sip of something strange, she balks and jerks back. But then, Red starts braying and she mutters something in Dwarvish and take a sip of the potion, hacking and choking it down.
Healing draught: [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

Grudgingly, she offers, "Thankee, Nar. I can't pronounce yer whole name, I'm afraid. But...I'll work on it."
Then she takes off after Red, pick in hand, ready to deal more death.
Winter is coming...
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#379 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen carefully sets her torch on the ground, making sure it stays lit. She stows her blade and draws Baudhring, knocking an arrow as she looks down the western corridor.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin readies sword at the barking - waiting for what’s to spew out of the darkness.

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”