Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

"There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world." -Gandalf, The Fellowship of The Ring

The First Halls of the ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Dusk. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Daylight fades like the hope of the world.

The company have reached their destination, the first Halls of the ElvenKing, at the base of the Mountains of Mirkwood, given over to the shadow of the Enemy two thousand years ago.

Charged with a desperate quest by Gandalf the White, the young heroes have journeyed to this long-abandoned elvish stronghold to seek the means with which to slay Smaug the Dragon, as the world comes down around them. It may be a fool's hope, but it is hope nonetheless.

Mirkwood had been getting more dense, tangled, and gloomier than before. The thick, twisted tree trunks, unnaturally misshapen limbs, writhing roots, clutching and grasping thorns and briars all seem to warn and ward them off, but they force and hack their way from the banks of the Enchanted River whose very touch induces a sorcerous slumber.

Now the strange growth suddenly ends. The company step from the thicket into a ravine-like area. The cliff walls loom steeply to either side, towering to a height over one hundred feet. Here, dark, streaked rock mingles with black earth. Clumps of trees struggle to endure on the ravine floor and up the sloping walls of the canyon.

The company crouches in the moonlight near the mouth of the ravine (at X). Before the sun sank, they spied the riven gate of the first ElvenKing's Halls, set into the furthest cliff face (K). Now that lost edifice is engulfed in darkness. Surrounding it at varying heights are many black mouths of cave-like openings in the rock walls; the minings of orcs and orc-kind intermingling with the ruins of elvish designs. (A-J) From this vantage, all are dark.

The sunlight is gone, the air dank, and there is an oppressive feeling here... as if something evil watches and waits to pounce. From beneath the withered trees, a flock of ravens rises croaking from the ground, the beat of their wings and their cries magnified by the dark canyon walls to sound loud and horrible. Among the rubble, boulders, and dead wood scattered across the ravine floor, are bits of gleaming ivory. Closer inspection reveals that these are bones and skulls of men, animals, and other things...

Actions?!

Map of the Ravine at the First ElvenKing's Halls:

X = the location of the Company.
Contour lines mark the altitude of the cliff walls. Trees and cave mouths are marked as well.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 28/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 2-8, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

I don't like it, the dwarf mutters quietly to the others. We'll be sitting ducks going through the canyon, and those damned birds just told anything living in those caves that something has arrived. He draws his axe in readiness. Well, do we make our way straight to the stronghold and wait for the ambush, or do we try taking the fight to the bastards where they live?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

"Not sure Master Glasik, I am not sure even what we seek exactly. I suggest we head for the old main entrance and be prepared to adjust as we need to. My task to guide you here is complete, now I am at your service in completing your task."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin watches and listens. He agrees that, "this is indeed a good place for an ambush - on us." He watches the dark caves for any sign of movement and tries to see if there is a path that would lead to any of the caves or the gate they are heading for.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Therone
The warrior keeps a watchful eye on their surroundings, especially the opening at (D). You're right- this is too much like the jaws of a beartrap, ready to snap on us. I don't like our odds- but I like bypassing potential hiding places less. Any of these mine drifts could hold a tribe of orcs, ready to descend on us.
FA FO
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Let us begin at one of the nearer openings and work our way to the grand entrance to prevent the enemy from surrounding us," says Gilwennen, "Either the opening to the south or perhaps the one up the hill to our north. This would give us the tactical advantage of superior elevation were the inhabitants of the other caves to converge and attack."
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

I'd rather not climb up and down the hills too often. Let's start with the nearest cave on this level, then, and see what there is to find, shall we? For all we know, these all may be part of one large cave system. He will begin slowly ambling toward the cave to the south (D) if nobody voices any objections to the plan.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen concurs with Glasik's suggestion. She keeps he bow ready as the group heads for the first of several caves.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

"That seems a good plan Master Glasik."
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin will move forward with Glasik
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor looks warily at the openings, stretching the limits of his elf eyes and ears. "Let us stay to the trees as much as possible, to further blunt the advantage of our foes attacking from above, or from the trees," he says quietly to the others. "We shall have to be careful entering in caves, where their might not be also an exit from which to escape from. Bear-trap indeed," he adds, as he takes his place in the marching order. Looking up at the birds taking flight he finishes in dwarvish, "could the ravens of Erebor be near? I would otherwise be wary to ask any ravens of ill-omen for information."
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone advances cautiously, her bow at the ready. She'll move off to the left of the group a few yards, intending to provide security for them.
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco tries to spend a short time looking at each one of the dark cave openings to check for light or movement while the others discuss the groups next move. He doesn't really want to go into any of the caves, if they are really filled with orcs, so he keeps his opinions on how to proceed to himself.

"I wonder if the smaller monsters would have been delegated to the smaller caves? This whole area feels chaotic........and unwholesome."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Dusk. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Ravens circling, the company observes the bleak terrain around the Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing. All is eerily quiet.

Folco's nervous eyes dart about, finding neither light nor motion with the black maws of the many caves yawning down upon them. Elbenarin the Dunedain cannot discern any trails leading up the rock face of the cliffs nor through the bottom of the tangled, overgrown, bone strewn ravine.

Under cover of night and the twisted trees, the company cautiously, quietly advances through the thorny, thick, forbidding undergrowth to the nearest cave mouth (D). There they discover grotesque stonework of leering inhuman faces, and a stout door of wood.

Actions?!

Map of the Ravine at the First ElvenKing's Halls:

The company is at cave mouth D.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 28/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 2-8, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco keeps his eye on the ground as the travel closer to the caves, looking around in the thorns and bones for anything that might not seem like it belongs here.

He doesn't speak as they advance upon the cave door. He keeps his trained eyes on the stone faces guarding it, watching them closely for any movement or blinking.

Once he believes it is safe to get closer, he looks around carefully for traps before approaching the door and pressing his ear up to it for a listen beyond.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil waits until Folco removes his ear from the door. Whispering "Master Folco, I can help force the door if need be."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

Therone
When Folco starts his examination of the door, Therone turns her back to the cliff and keeps watch in case of ambush. Her primary focus will be toward (A).
FA FO
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin cautions about forcing the door,"Perhaps we should reconsider this entrance if we must use force - making noise in this echoing rift is sure to alert unfriendly eyes - or worse."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by hedgeknight »

Upon seeing the narrow valley and open cave mouths, Gilly gives Rumil a glare and then says to Glasik, "Detten herhir faegonan alv let oskk niden til en trap! neom merg til gut drogan hvis vir fa utre av herhir alive."

Glasik >
This here fucking Elf led us into a trap! Remind me to gut him if we get out of here alive.
Once the path is decided, she hefts her pick and follows her brother up the hill, sending Red on to sniff out the safest way to the door. Looking at the door and its haunting stone carvings, Gilly swallows and says, "Want me to go up and knock?"
She approaches the door very cautiously...for a dwarf.
Winter is coming...
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Saying nothing, Gilwennen fades silently back and into the darkness to the left of the door, eyes fixed on the slope above, scanning for sudden movement, her hand ready on her bow.

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”