Chapter 2: A Fool's Hope

Inferno
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: A Fool's Hope

#61 Post by rredmond »

SocraticLawyer wrote:Tinuwen tosses a flask of oil to Naruthirdor
Keeping both flaming brands in his off hand, Naruthirdor takes the oil after a quick nod of thanks to Tinuwen. Then after a quicker prayer to Melian for aid against these spawn of Ungoliant, he lets the oil fly:
C'mon PUH-LEASE, go oil go: [1d20] = 17
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Inferno »

Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Dawn. March 21, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Three. Damp, cold

His back to the enchanted river, Folco fearlessly slashes his short blade at the gigantic terror looming over him, to no avail! In horror, he hears brave Gilly the dwarf fall, poisoned, behind him!

The great spiders of Mirkwood advance into the wakening nest of delicious little morsels. The hideous monsters attack their squirming, flailing prey! "How they fight! What a meal we will sssoon enjoy!" coos one of the ghastly horrors!

Gilwennen nimbly evades an immense venomous stinger! But poor Folco is bitten again (5hp damage)! And so are Glasik and Elbenwin, before they can even get to their feet! (-2hp and -5hp respectively) Poisoned*, they swing sword and ax with what they each believe is their final breath!

Folco and Elbenwin miss their mark, perhaps due to the effects of the toxic venom! But Glasik retaliates, smiting his enemy (S3) with dwarven steel! Therone and Elbenarin rush to Glasik's side, swords gleaming, and together they slay the enormous frightful monstrosity! (S3) It dies screeching, its many legs flailing wildly!

Naruthirdor opens a silver flask of elvish oil and hurls it upon one of the monstrous leviathans (S1), dousing it in the flammable liquid!

Tinuwen stands beside her sister and gashes a spider's dreadful maw (S2)! Rumil comes to Folco's aid, severing a stalk-like limb from a hideous body (S1)! And Red the dog defends his fallen mistress, biting the leg of the spider that looms over Gilly (S4), drawing blood and blood-curdling shrieks!

Actions?! (*Elbenwin, Folco and Glasik must successfully Save vs Poison to act next round)

Map:

One square = 10 feet. Mirkwood is so overgrown that for movement, 1" = 10 feet.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 13/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin tries again to attack the spider but fails to connect
[1d20] = 8

saving throw [1d20] = 13
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#64 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Seeing his sister fall, Glasik knows exactly what his next target is. However, as he tries to move, fire burns in his veins! He can't move! Fear begins creeping into his mind, knowing there is nothing he can do to help Gilly.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Seeing the dreadful spider bite Folco he attempts to drive his sword home.

Long Sword [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8 to hit [1d12+3] = 10+3 = 13 dam lg
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin spins to his right to protect the flank and uses his momentum to slice at the attacking spider

Long Sword Attack [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 (THACO=19)

Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4 / L: [1d12+1] = 4+1 = 5
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Urson »

Therone

As the spider falls, Therone is already moving to attack (S2). She slashes with her blade...but misses.

[1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 sword
FA FO
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by hedgeknight »

Growling viciously, Red attacks the giant spider again...but this time his jaws cannot find a hold on the hairy leg of the arachnid.

Red Attacks: [1d20] = 9 Damage [2d4] = 4
Winter is coming...
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by SocraticLawyer »

How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ChubbyPixie »

As one bloated and ichorous segmented leg swings over her head, Gilwennen leaps and grabs it, using its momentum to propel herself around it, Naringë describing a graceful, glittering arc which plunges abruptly into the side of the spider’s head, just behind the last of its hideous compound eyes.

Attack with Naringë - Long Sword +1 (THAC0:20): To Hit: [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17 Damage vs. s/m: [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9, vs. Lg: [1d12+1] = 8+1 = 9
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Edit:
Second save from a second bite from the same creature with the same poison. :lol:

Save vs. Poison (9) [1d20] = 17
Folco continues swinging away at the huge spider trying to eat him and his friends.

Attack w/ +1 Shortsword [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 Damage s/m [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 L [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by rredmond »

Oops sorry. Spammers got hairy again.
Naruthirdor tosses on it his flaming branches of fire onto S1.
Throwing fire! [1d20] = 17
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Inferno »

Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Dawn. March 21, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Three. Damp, cold

"Sssstop ssstruggling, little onesss. It will all be over sssooon," purrs one of the ugly crawling horrors.

It might be right. Elbenwin and Glasik join Gilly among the dead leaves of the forest floor, overcome by the spiders' insidious toxins!

Rumil and Tinuwen evade stingers dripping with venom, but Red is not so lucky! (-1hp) Gilly's stalwart defender is poisoned!*

Behind the front lines, Naruthirdor pulls a burning branch from the campfire and hurls it atop a great oil-soaked spider (S1) and it bursts into a roaring conflagration that consumes the shrieking, writhing, kicking monstrosity!

Folco quickly puts the flailing thing (S1) out of its misery with a few quick strokes of his sword!

Elbenarin wheels to his right and severs a leg from the terrible spider looming over faithful Red (S4), with a slash of his shimmering blade!

Behind Elbenarin, the elvish sisters Gilwennen and Tinuwen both smite the gigantic arachnid nearest them (S2)! Gilwennen nearly puts out one of its eight hideous black eyes, but the fiendish thing fights on!

Actions?! (*Red must successfully Save vs Poison to act next round)

Map:

One square = 10 feet. Mirkwood is so overgrown that for movement, 1" = 10 feet.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 13/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil, seeing 3 defenders battling the closest spider races across to attack spider #4.

Long Sword [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14 to hit [1d12+3] = 4+3 = 7 dam lg
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#75 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco

With the next closest spider already engaged, the spunky hobbit tries to hide and move closer to it silently so he can maneuver around it for an unseen backstab.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor quickly grabs up two lit branches, one in each hand. And walks towards a seemingly friendless Elbenarin, he waves the branches back and forth over his head as he goes. "Ungoliant is dead by her own hunger," he yells, "spiders burn brighter than starlight! You are next!" While he heads toward spider 4, he's really looking all over the ground to see if he can find anymore oil, knowing he's screwed otherwise. Naruthirdor also tries to give himself some bravery by loudly intoning the words his parents taught him when young, he speaks them the common tongue so all can understand:
"O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas
"
He'll walk southwest so that he can get as safe (and comrade-free) a shot as he can. If he can't find any oil, he'll still throw the firebrand and draw his magic dagger bracing for the worst.
He's really hoping to find some oil to repeat the dangerous maneuver he just did, but if he can't he'll hope Elbenarin doesn't succumb to poison and someone else can come before he's slaughtered.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by hedgeknight »

Winter is coming...
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen strikes at the spider again, hoping to land more than a glancing blow.

To hit with sword [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone smiles at the bit of poetry- remembering other times when she would write verse of her own, and sing it as her friends played harp and flute.

She attacks (S2) again-
[1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3 sword
And stumbles, barely holding onto her blade.
FA FO

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”