Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

Inferno
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

#121 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly hisses at the warg's painful bite, adjusts her grip on her pick, and drives it home with a crushing blow! "Eat this, you bitch!"
Footman's Pick: [1d20] = 18 Damage: [2d4+1] = 6+1 = 7
Red Attacks: [1d20] = 12 Damage [2d4] = 3

OOC: If the warg falls before she can attack, she will attack the Orc rider instead.
Winter is coming...
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone gasps in surprise and whirls to face the new threat, her bow drawn to fire.
FA FO
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by SocraticLawyer »

How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor has the globes hover in front of Worg 3, and Snagrat and Molg hopefully continuing to obscure their vision somewhat. Worg 4's globe can head over toward the ? in the dark. At least to illuminate it to let us know what's coming. Naruthirdor also readies his daggers for throwing, if he gets an open opportunity - especially at the incoming ?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#125 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco appears unable to do anything but whimper, though he makes certain he doesn’t squeal.

Attack w/ Shortsword [1d20] = 8 Damage s/m [1d6] = 3 L [1d8] = 1
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Inferno »

The Elven King's Halls, Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, Year One of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

Within a raging forest fire, beset by evil orcs and wargs, the company of young heroes is tested and stands resolute!

His shortsword held before him, Pockets of the Shire defends the elven sisters, ready to shield them from harm!

From atop his fearsome black monster, Molg the orc (O6) laughs with hatred: "The elf-king is dead! And his daughters have been defiled b- !"
He never finishes the sentence. His foul voice is silenced by an arrow shot through his throat from Gilwennen's bow.

Molg's vicious mount shakes Molg's corpse free and readies to spring and rend!

Meeting the vile orcs' crass words measure for measure, Elbenwin joins his brother in smiting the last monstrous warg (W3) with merciless steel! The voracious beast falls to the ground beside his rider, lifeless.

From behind Pockets, Tinuwen fires at insidious Snagrat (O7) and impales his right arm with one elven arrow! Furious, the depraved orc readies to exact murderous revenge upon Folco! The little hobbit swings wild again; his aim perhaps affected by his nerves.

"Keep squirming, ratling," Snagrat chuckles darkly. "I can wait to hear your death screams!" The fiendish villain raises his orc blade overhead to murder Folco when suddenly, a dwarf pick bursts through Snagrat's chest! Gilly had wheeled around and come up behind him!

Her brother Glasik treads southeast in time to see Therone turn as one of the magical embers reveals another gigantic fearsome troll (T2) lumbering out from the roiling black smoke!

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 10 feet. Circle of light marks 30' visibility in the smoke.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
Initiative: Good: [1d6] = 6, Evil: [1d6] = 1 Good triumphs... in initiative.
Tinuwen fires a missile into a melee. Snagrat is nearly twice the size of Folco...
Tinuwen hits Snagrat? (1,2) or Folco? (3) : [1d3] = 1 Snagrat. She hits with one arrow from this flank attack.
Tinuwen damage to Snagrat: [1d6] = 3 3 damage.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 27/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 17/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 25/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 5/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/7, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by wolfpack »

Come brother our work is yet done. If we accomplish nothing else this day we WILL soak this earth in the blood of our enemies.

Elbenwin rushes to face the oncoming troll

[1d20] = 15

[1d12] = 7 +2 for ranger bonus = 9
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#129 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco is elated that his friends came to his rescue before he was actually gutted. The tiny thief rushes back towards the rocks, and then to the dark ring to the east. There he tries to hide in the shadows so he can move around to come up behind the behemoth troll without it noticing him.

(movement this round to attempt a backstab next round)
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#130 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

I was wrong- not as ugly as the Orcs. But, soon to be just as dead! Eyes burning from the smoke, the dwarf's axe fails to find its target.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Quickly shouldering her bow, Tinuwen draws her sword and charges at the troll.

To hit with sword [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14

If that's a hit
Damage from sword [1d12] = 10
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#132 Post by dmw71 »

Still believing his strategy to be a sound one, Pockets continues to stand guard in front of the elven archers. He remains steadfast in what he considers his duties, even after Tinuwen abandons her ranged efforts and rushes into the fray taking place somewhere ahead of their current position.

"No harm will come to you," he assures those still under his protection.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone recovers quickly, snapping off two shots at the troll.
att [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11 missile
att [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16 missile

arrow[1d6+4] = 3+4 = 7
arrow[1d6+4] = 5+4 = 9
FA FO
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by rredmond »

"How can members of an army be so undisciplined," Naruthirdor says in exasperation. He concentrates (as he moves forward enough to keep them in range), unnecessarily but he wants them to move fast as possible, to have the other three balls of light head to the troll, and all four hover as close to the trolls eyeballs as they can get. "It's like you are all happy there is a troll."
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin follows his brother once again into the fray to battle this new devilry

Long Sword Attack [1d20] = 14 (THACO=19)

Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8] = 4 / L: [1d12] = 2 (+2 additional hps of damage vs. giant-type)
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by hedgeknight »

rredmond wrote:"It's like you are all happy there is a troll."
Gilly laughs, heedless of the orc blood spattered on her face, dripping from her pick. "Who doesn't like fighting trolls? Red! Go help me brother!"
She takes off at a sprint, as her dog, Red, runs faster and reaches the troll before her.

Red Attacks: [1d20] = 9 Damage [2d4] = 4
Footman's Pick: [1d20] = 6 Damage: [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6
Winter is coming...
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Inferno »

The Elven King's Halls, Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, Year One of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

The colossal troll is larger than the last! His tremendous iron mace misses nimble Glasik by inches and then the company retaliates!

Enchanted embers dance before the black pits of its eyes as Therone's arrow, Tinuwen's blade, and the swords of Elbenarin and Elbenwin strike with surprising ferocity! The troll is slain in one shocking assault! No enemy remains to challenge them.

The wind changes and the smoke gives way to a tragic battlefield choked with the ghastly remains of countless wood-elves, violated in ways unimaginable.

The elves of the company of young heroes recognize their kin among the murdered.

A few orcs linger to complete the massacre but it is clear the main force had departed long before the heroes had arrived. These orc stragglers see dead trolls, orcs and wargs in the wake of the unharmed company and flee eastward.

The company give pursuit but are stopped in their tracks by what they see next. They reach the fabled magnificence of the Elven King's Halls. The elves among them had long heard tales of its unmatched grace and splendour.

All gone now, forever. The fire-blackened gates are ruptured and the elf king's halls are consumed by flames.
No normal fire could have done this. Only dragon flame could. It means one thing...

In addition to all their other woes, Smaug the dragon has awakened! He had been here, with the main force of the attack!

The company sees movement and a handful of surviving wood-elves slowly emerge from the waning conflagration of the trees, bent with grief and sorrow.

Suddenly, appearing near them is a tall figure the company recognizes only by reputation.

Could it be? The wizard, Gandalf the Grey!?

Actions?!

Map of Wilderland:

The dotted red line marks the heroes' path. The red X, their current position.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 27/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 17/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 25/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 5/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/7, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin weeps quietly at the sight of the Elven kingdom laid low. At the sight of the gray figure, his eyes glance back and forth to him then to his brother - seemingly confirming his brothers presence and that this isn't some dream - before gathering himself to speak. "The rumors. They said mighty Minas Tirith had fallen - and with it you and the Steward. If you are here... perhaps Minas Tirith still stands also.... what- what news?" he manages to stumble through as the death and destruction of the elves weigh on his heart.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor eyes everything with suspicion and sees if any of his wood elf cousins need help, or have news. "Mithrandir," he acknowledges the power and knowledge of the Grey Wanderer with a nod of respect, "hopefully you have news that is not ill-met by moonlight, but brings some hope." Naruthirdor tries to sound hopeful, but his normal logic-above-all mien breaks through.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin whispers a prayer for the dead and fights off his sadness when seeing the wizard.

If you are truly the wizard Gandolf tel us is it true that mighty Gondor and helms deep have fallen, and that the wizard Saruman has betrayed us all?

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”