Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

Inferno
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

#21 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin glances to his brother as he quietly and efficiently strings his bow. He whispers, "Orcs first? They are in range..."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor wrinkles his nose in disgust at the smell and the scene ahead of him. "It is too late for the dead, should we not seek out the living and not endanger our lives unnecessarily?" The disgust lingers in his urgent whisper.

Not trusting the wisdom of the rangers or elves, nor the carefree folly of the hobbits and the itchy axe-fingers of the dwarves, having seen this in quite a few battles before. So Naruthirdor brings to mind the power words that will allow him to throw his voice to the south of the orcs as a distraction, or to manipulate the smoke around them as the fire to the north seems too far away. But as yet he initiates no spell.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by ChubbyPixie »

“There are surely other enemies hidden in the smoke - smoke we may well use to hide our own selves from the troll. Let us use our advantage and eliminate first the threat we can see. Take care,” says Gilwennen softly as she unsheathes her bow and fires two arrows in quick succession at the detestable orcs:

Attack with Long Bow (THAC0:20): To Hit: [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10 Damage vs. s/m/L: [1d6] = 3

Attack with Long Bow (THAC0:20): To Hit: [1d20+4] = 8+4 = 12 Damage vs. s/m/L: [1d6] = 5
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by rredmond »

Assured that the company is intent on engagement, Naruthirdor awaits the party to all get attacks and then as soon as the last missile is shot or thrown, hopefully before surprise is lost, he closes in the bands of dark smoke, hopefully decreasing the visibility of the orcs and troll.
Casting Affect Normal Fires and Smoke at max range, 30', and increasing smoke to max effect between us and the bad guys. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin nods to his brother as he notches 2 arrows.

Orcs first, then we draw our swords and fell the troll.

he fires two arrows at the orcs.

attacks
[1d20] = 13
[1d20] = 17

damage
[1d6] = 6
[1d6] = 1
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone says nothing, just snaps off two shots at (O2).

[1d20] = 11+4

[1d20] = 10+4

[1d6] = 1
[1d6] = 4

She holds her ground, ready to fire again.
FA FO
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen likewise fires off two shots at the orcs.

To hit with arrow [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11

To hit with arrow [1d20+4] = 8+4 = 12

The creatures' foul stench must have thrown off my aim, she thinks to herself.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco is startled by the sudden attack from his friends. He quickly tries to join them in the volley, but his fear and uncertainty cause his aim to stray badly.

Sling Bullet [1d20+6] = 1+6 = 7 Damage s/m:[1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 l:[1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3 first attack roll of the game.......Ya! :x
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin let's loose at any remaining targets - Orcs or vile Troll...

Long Bow Attack (19) : [1d20] = 20
Long Bow Attack (19) : [1d20] = 2

Arrow [1d6] = 5
Arrow [1d6] = 2
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by dmw71 »

Pockets is slow to respond, and can't bring himself to attack that which hasn't threatened him directly. The hobbit watches as those in front of him begin hurling attacks from a distance. "I mustn't get in their way," he can be heard whispering, as if talking to himself through what he needs to do. "This way," he continues his self-dialogue, making sure to route himself carefully behind Tinuwen and Gilwennen in the rearmost rank, and angles away from the group heading southeast for 10 or 15 feet. "Just like you've practiced, so no one will hear you, or see you..." he whispers as he moves; the already barely audible volume of his words fading almost completely as he distances himself from the rest of the group.

He makes a mental note after observing Folco's terrible aim, then lowers himself into the shadows of a bush or rock, in a spot of relative safety. "This looks like a good spot to see that big... thing," he says, turning his undivided attention towards the troll, which he finds utterly fascinating.

"Time for a snack," he says quietly, continuing his self-dialogue, as he reaches his right index finger and thumb into a pocket sewn into the sleeve of his left upper arm and produces a few dried peanuts. As part of a well-practiced routine, he tosses them into his open, awaiting mouth and crunches them quietly without ever taking his eyes off the troll.

Of course Pockets is convinced he was able to successfully move without being spotted, but, you know. ;)

* Move Silently: 31%
* Hide in Shadows: 30%
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by hedgeknight »

"Glasik, let's go!"
Seeing everyone else attack, Gilly takes off at a run toward the troll, circling to the right of the Orcs. When in range, she hurls her axe...to no effect.

Hand axe: [1d20] = 2 Damage [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5
Winter is coming...
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Inferno »

Northern Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, the First Year of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

As a raging inferno consumes the wood-elf homes around the Elven King's Halls, the company of young heroes surprise some of the the marauding orcs responsible for the merciless slaughter!

Pockets the hobbit hides and watches as the aim of Folco, Glasik and Gilly is spoiled by the rain and the smoke and the flames.

But the rangers and elves fire true. Their bows wreak havoc among the wicked leering orcs, feathering them with shafts that find every crevice in their armor! The trio of hateful malefactors are dead before they know they are under attack!

Then Naruthirdor the elf murmurs something and the swirling black smoke closes like a curtain of soot and shadow to conceal the company from the unsuspecting troll that disappears from view behind the roiling shroud.

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 10 feet.
Bands of light mark areas of visibility. Bands of darkness are smoke, where visibility is 30'.
'T1?' marks the last known location of the troll.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 28/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#33 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Letting his crossbow hang, Glasik picks up his axe. Let's go trolling, the dwarf says grimly, as he begins heading in the direction the troll was last seen.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

"A troll..." Pockets whispers to himself. The hobbit finds himself wishing he had access to his writing desk at home, where he could barely write his findings, but instead finds himself making a mental note. Which will certainly be forgotten.

The hobbit has heard of trolls before -- he thinks -- and recalls them being labeled as "bad," but this is the first he's actually seen one. They sure do look bad.

When a wall of smoke appears between his position and where the troll was last seen, Pockets remains still, crouched in his spot, certain he's still hidden. He quickly scans the ground for a thumb-sized rock, which he loads into his sling.

The smoke irritating his eyes, he shuts them. He listens intently, relying on his auditory skills to make sure the now unseen "bad" creature doesn't accidentally overcome his attempt to hide.
If the troll both comes into range and attacks one of his companions, Pockets will fire his sling at the beast. Badly. Otherwise, he remains crouched in his hiding spot, listening.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by wolfpack »

Come brother let us encircle the bastard and carve it like a turkey. I will move to the west you east let us use the smoke and try to surprise it.

Elbenwin draws his sword and circles around to the west staying in the smokes edge hoping to find and surprise the troll with his ranger ability.

[1d20] = 12
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin nods grimly. Bow over his shoulder, he quietly draws his sword and moves east, keeping an eye on the light and dancing smoke. Eyes to the ground for clues of the trolls passing...
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone itches to join the others in the troll hunt, but chooses to stay with the non- hunters to provide some protection.
FA FO
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen keeps an arrow knocked, but does not fire until she sees the troll.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeing others rushing towards the beast, Folco decides to follow them. Not charging in like a brave Dunedain, but staying to the edges of the smoke and shadows, movingly swiftly and quietly, the hobbit way.

If he can find a rock or tuft of tall grass near the troll to hide behind, he will attempt to get into position to come in from behind the monster.

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”