Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

Inferno
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

#121 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"We should investigate that Hookhill inn, questions its workers, the previous owner who sold it, and learn if the dark influences at work in Briarsgate are spreading," says Mouser. "Cut off this growth of evil there."

"On going back into the town, I think quick strikes, stealthy in-and-outs to the Mayor's, the church, the elves house, should be done to avoid confrontation with the mob. Take out Derek Desleigh and other leaders. It's only my obligation to my patron that I even bother with this. Otherwise I would burn the town down and leave them to their ill fate."

The thief scatters broken window glass at the front and back doors to cause noise from potential intruders. He notes the trees that rise up near second-story windows. Mouser rests in one of those second-story bedrooms, watching out through the window.
Mouser gains 1 HP from previous sleep/rest.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by AleBelly »

Grognardsw wrote:
"...Otherwise I would burn the town down and leave them to their ill fate."
"As you left those of us in the tavern to our fate while you hid in the stables" replies Pelias sardonically. "But I should expect nothing less from someone of your...profession."
This isn't a jab at any players, just how I think Pelias would react to knowing that some of his party looked after themselves instead of the group during the brawl in Bertram's tavern.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Zhym »

"You don't kill a weed by cutting off a leaf," says Grothnak as he settles in to rest. "It must be pulled from the root. Our business is in Briarsgate. If we survive, we can make sure no seeds have planted in Hookhill." Having worked the gardening metaphor to its limit, the half-orc closes his eyes and starts to snore.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:
AleBelly wrote: "As you left those of us in the tavern to our fate while you hid in the stables" replies Pelias sardonically. "But I should expect nothing less from someone of your...profession."
"Watch your words holy fighter, I share his profession." he says with stone faced look.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by AleBelly »

"I suspected as much. A parsimonious explanation for your cowardice in the stables too. And to think we came to rescue you at the expense of the stout-hearted Gales" glares Pelias as he returns Hoom's stare.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"It's well known that you humans have short lives but I was not aware your memory was as short. If it wasn't for me you'd be locked and bound just like the others. Still wondering what happened and why your ale tasted so sour." Hoom shoves Bertram paper back into his pack and move off to Mouser's side.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#127 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo decides it's time.

Much like the poor people of Briarsgate, we need to stick together if we are ever to figure what is going on here. I don't think that an argument about who is the least cowardly is very appropriate at the moment. Let us rest here peacefully so we can get back to the task at hand, please.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis, Gnome Fighter

Telkis would probably be alarmed at the dissension within the party, except for the fact that he woozily sank to the floor in an empty corner as soon as the party arrived in the abandoned farmhouse, the grogginess from the poison finally proving too much for him.
Extra Healing (20% chance): [1d10] = 5 --Telkis heals 1 hp only.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#129 Post by dmw71 »

If Avril can find a shovel in this new barn, she will once again dig out a new escape tunnel... just in case. If not, she will privately curse herself for lacking the foresight to add the previous shovel used to her possessions and will scan the perimeter of the barns interior looking for any natural gaps or crevices large enough to serve as a potential point of exit. Hearing the distention in the group while she digs or searches, she keeps her intentions of returning to Briarsgate to herself. At least until morning.

With Mouser and Bo standing watch, Avril too will collapse into a deep sleep, hoping to find herself rested well enough at the end of her slumber to be able to prepare her daily allotment of spells.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom settles down leaning against a nice large tree outside the farmhouse. He uses the morning light to study his arcane craft. After his studies are over he collects firewood in the surrounding area. Piling it up outside the farmhouse for use in a small fire for breakfast, which he hopes he locate in the surrounding woods.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#131 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"We are going to have plenty of time to argue if we survive this night. So let's get some much needed rest," says Ingrid. Personally, she hasn't given up the Briarsgate case, no, not at all, but her strength is running out.

She prays, rests, then prays again, for Trithereon to bestow her with powers to fight whatever evil is present in these god-forgotten land.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
An Abandoned Farmhouse outside the Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Dawn
Damp, chilly, misty

The adventurers escape Briarsgate and double back to a solitary, forlorn farmhouse off the Hookhill Road, one league east of Briarsgate. Only after approaching it can they see its front door is ajar. They cautiously enter and find the lonesome structure empty. Furniture, tools and clothes remain, having been abandoned by their former owners as well. There are four beds on the second floor.

Hoom shares the financial papers he stole from the office of Bertram Beswill at the Golden Grain Inn.

The party falls to arguing and then goes to bed angry. Grothnak, Ingrid, Pelias and Telkis collapse in exhaustion inside the farmhouse.

Long Bo commands Sephus to post the unkindness of crows as sentries around the abandoned farm, and joins them in first watch.

Mouser also takes first watch, spreading broken glass in the farmhouse doorways and watching from a second story bedroom window near a tree.
Grog: Please save vs. Con on 1d20 for the drugged, groggy thief to stay awake for first watch. Thanks.
Hoom settles down against the tree outside the farmhouse, studying his arcane craft.

On his watch, Bo finds a water pump with fresh, clean, cold water, a bushel of crisp autumn apples, and the stench of death emanating from the barn.

Avril joins Bo in carefully investigating its source. Within the barn they find a farmer, his wife, and their small child hanged to death.
hanged to death.jpg
hanged to death.jpg (257.83 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
The corpses are less than two months old. A suicide note is pinned to the father's chest. It reads: "You won't get us."

The rest of the watch is quiet. The corpses are dealt with. Avril digs a trench under a barn wall, and gets some sleep. Hoom collects firewood and hunts for breakfast. He slays a mother deer that had come too close to the quiet, tempting cornfield and paid for it with her life.

Several hours expire uneventfully. No one is seen on the Hookhill Road. The crow sentries are silent. The watch rotates and the party rests. In time, the drugged heroes no longer feel groggy, and the sorcerers and priests have recovered their magic potency. Ingrid prays for Trithereon to bestow her with powers to fight whatever evil is present in this god-forgotten land.

At noon everyone is awake; their bodies rested, if not their spirits.

Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl.
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 9/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl.
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 6/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 8/19, Laying Hands: 1/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 14/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis sits up and blinks. Finally his head feels right. He's thankful they weren't attacked in the night - he's not at all sure he would have awoken. He puts his armor back on and tends to his bow and finally Cranach, oiling it and removing any dried villager blood from the handle.

"Well... what now?" he asks the room. "I say we continue to investigate Briarsgate, but I'm not sure how to go about it. We can't just go barging in, can we?" He taps his foot and ponders, gazing out the window. "Any of you magic types have s spell that'll disguise us all as animals or birds or... villagers?... Bo perhaps your friend could spy out the inn, the church, the grove? Maybe give us a clue where to head next? Eventually I'll want to investigate the tunnels under the Golden Grain. I feel there's a clue there as to what this is all about...

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom clears a small section on the ground in front of the house. He starts a fire and cooks the deer. The smell of freshly cooked venison should be enough to rouse his sleeping companions stomachs. He offers the freshly cooked meat to those who wish (even Pelias). A good meal should lessen the tension all felt by the party and refresh the travelers for their next endeavor.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#135 Post by dmw71 »

Not caring if Bo interprets it a a sign of weakness, Avril cringes at the grizzly discovery of a familial suicide. Her head drops as she falls to a knee and brings her silver holy symbol to hand while spending a few private moments issuing a silent prayer to Corellon. "It appears whatever this... curse... is has expanded its reach," she says quietly. She inhales deeply and composes herself. "Help me get them down," she says to her towering human companion. "But let's cover our hands... just in case."

Once the family has been freed, Avril will search for a suitable burial plot just outside the barn and put her shovel to use again, digging out some shallow graves.

Their dirty business taken care of, Avril will give the water pump a few strokes to clear any standing water before taking a few sips herself. Small sips at first, and only quenching her thirst after waiting a few moments without suffering any ill effects from her initial sips. If the water proves to be safe, she will also use it to wash her hands, plus rinse off a few apples she will snag from the bushel before storing them in her pouch for later; accepting the venison offered by Hoom to quell her current hunger instead.

She will listen to the others while donning her armor after rejoining the rest of the group. "I'm with Telkis," she offers, seconding his suggestion of returning to Briarsgate. "I don't have your experience or familiarity with the town, but the tunnels under the Golden Grain sound intriguing."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak silently assists with the burial, looking around the barn for another shovel to add to Avril's.

When the last shovel of dirt has been thrown over the bodies, the half-orc wipes the sweat from his forehead. "I agree," he says. "Briarsgate needs our help. The tunnel under the Golden Grain Inn is a good place to start, but can we get to it without another fight?"

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#137 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid awakens from her communion with her god only to find her companions digging graves for the poor family. She assists with the graves - digging and consecrating them. To the standard ritual of circling the make-shift graves three times and sprinkling them with holy water, she adds a prayer of her own design - one that borders with curses, an oath of revenge.

"What foul fate was promised for these poor souls that they decided to end their own lives? I see some desperate bravery in this: choosing death over mindless slavery of an unknown force," she wonders after the graves are set.
ChubbyPixie wrote:"Any of you magic types have s spell that'll disguise us all as animals or birds or... villagers?..."
Telkis asks.
"My spells are useful for protection and healing... but not for deception."

"The tunnels are indeed something we should investigate, but getting to them might prove problematic. Besides, I'm almost sure it's full of cultists again. But maybe those tunnels have another entrance, somewhere in a different place? Maybe we can find that and go in from there? Bo," she turns to the druid. "Can your animal friends, a rat or a ferret or a mouse, go through the tunnel and alert us if there is another end, in a different place?"
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#138 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks closely at the bodies and their surroundings before he helps bring them down. He wants to be sure that these suicides are what they seem and not covered up murders instead.

I agree Ingrid. The thought of what would make a man take not just his own life, but also the lives of his wife and child is chillingly disturbing to ponder.

Perhaps Telkis could gather up a few of his mouse friends and have them take a run through the tunnels?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, footpad

During his watch Mouser yawns, nods off for a moment, but manages to stay awake. He paces about the room, counts crows flying around outside, and considers words he would have said to Pelias but in his wisdom deferred. The man is a paladin; why bother?

In the morning, while the others are in the barn looking at the dead family, Mouser searches the house for hidden compartments, trap doors and secret doors.

As the party discusses next steps, Mouser comments, "The townsfolk will be active during the day, acting as eyes and ears. A stealthy night-time approach is safer. Unless our animal friends find a secret entrance to the tunnel we can enter safely. Besides the tunnel, a rapid night-time strike into the church, mayor house, and elf house to extricate friendlies or eliminate threats will serve us well."

The town isn't going anywhere. I still think investigating the tavern in Hillhook can gain us more information, then we return to Briarsgate. Our absence over several days will also lull the town into thinking we've gone for good. I suspect they are still on high alert at the moment."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
An Abandoned Farmhouse outside the Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Midday
Damp, chilly, misty

Under the watchful eyes of the murder of crow sentinels, Avril and Grothnak bury the hanged family that had escaped the evils of Briarsgate. Bo inspected the bodies and their surroundings before they were cut down and laid to rest. He found no sign of a struggle. Their hands weren't even bound. Ingrid gives last rites.

Mouser secretly searches the farmhouse. He discovers a hand axe and a pitchfork hidden near the front and back doors. Under the farmers' bed, beneath a loose plank in the floor, are papers concerning the purchase of the farm seven months ago, and what remains of their life savings since: 30 pieces of silver.

Hoom skins, guts and cooks the mother deer. The adventurers partake of a mid-day meal of hot venison, blood red apples, and clean cold water as they weigh the terrible choices before them.

Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl.
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 9/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl.
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 6/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 8/19, Laying Hands: 1/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 14/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun