Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

#141 Post by Pulpatoon »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Porphyry is obviously a god and Fingal must join in his army of undead minions.
So the wine really does make you smarter!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Inferno »

Grognardsw wrote:...time contracts, snapping back into the currents of now.

Sleestak is back in the cave, in full three dimension, standing before a shocked Wulfhart who thought he heard noises north. The lizardman is aware that there is a horror within him. There is terrible urge...
Cool. Please tell me more about the urges. What does Sleestak want to do? Can he control the urges?
And, does Sleestak believe that the god-thing that now inhabits him is the source of the evil spirit that plagued and destroyed his tribal village?
Thanks!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart, if he can detect strange behavior from Sleestak, keeps his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Easy there, salamander man. I'm your friend..."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Grognardsw »

Inferno wrote: Cool. Please tell me more about the urges. What does Sleestak want to do? Can he control the urges?
And, does Sleestak believe that the god-thing that now inhabits him is the source of the evil spirit that plagued and destroyed his tribal village?
Thanks!
The urges to do the actions he was doing in the pictures. :o To Wulfhart, standing in from of him. And is that the dwarf limping along not too far behind?

Save vs. Magic to resist.

As to it being the source of destruction of your village, this entity is not directly responsible but you detect, from your mingled consciousness with it, that it is related to the being which detroyed the village. You can attempt to commune or otherwise communicate with it to learn more.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, MU

"Fascinating, Gagel! Simultaneously fascinating and revolting!" Taking out his ink and parchment, Wrenly will quickly jot down the symbols in the octagonal room and note their positions, should it become useful later.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh remains in the corridor but hails the mage:

"Find anything ussseful Wrenly?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Inferno »

Grognardsw wrote: The urges to do the actions he was doing in the pictures. :o To Wulfhart, standing in from of him. And is that the dwarf limping along not too far behind?

Save vs. Spell (15): [1d20] = 9
He failed. :o :shock: :lol:
Grogard, while he succumbs to these dark, delightful urges, can he speak freely?
What are the parameters of this possession, please, so I don't over step my bounds in my next post. Thanks.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Grognardsw »

Inferno wrote:
Grognardsw wrote: The urges to do the actions he was doing in the pictures. :o To Wulfhart, standing in from of him. And is that the dwarf limping along not too far behind?

Save vs. Spell (15): [1d20] = 9
He failed. :o :shock: :lol:
Grogard, while he succumbs to these dark, delightful urges, can he speak freely?
What are the parameters of this possession, please, so I don't over step my bounds in my next post. Thanks.
The devil speaks save for every third sentence, which can be Sleestak breaking through. There are no parameters to your malevolence, except it must hurt body, mind or soul. :twisted:

Every turn you may make a save to take back control.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by AleBelly »

I'm traveling this weekend, so I'll post Wulfie's action anticipating what might be coming in order to not hold up action
Wulfhart sighs. What he wouldn't give for just one normal day. He draws his sword and rotates it 90 degrees so that he attacks with the flat of his blade. Although he barely knows the lizard man, the barbarian knows that he's not in his right mind...and that an intact Sleestak might be necessary to survive the horrors of this place.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#150 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Sorry, I thought he would feel something since he himself has "Something"
Last edited by thesniperknight1 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Grognardsw »

thesniperknight1 wrote:Gagel stares in fascination, feeling that this might end up happening to him as well, a grin of delight comes across his face as the thrill envelopes him, "Wait! Let him speak, it's very rare to get the chance to speak to such an entity, its knowledge must be boundless!"

Though I played it out publicly, technically no one knows Sleestak is possessed. So any initial reactions to him should be played with that in mind.

Only Wulfhart is aware of Sleestak's return in the north hall. Groyn is limping at 1/4 movement with a stick figure leg following Wulfhart, so he'll see Sleestak in the next round. Gagel is with all others in the statue chamber at the moment, most of them looking into the secret door passageways.

Sniper feel free to edit your last post. Thanks.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Inferno »

Grognardsw wrote: The devil speaks save for every third sentence, which can be Sleestak breaking through. There are no parameters to your malevolence, except it must hurt body, mind or soul. :twisted:

Every turn you may make a save to take back control.
Ok, so I don't want to play out attacking other PCs. I don't enjoy that. And I don't know what the demon would say because I don't fully understand who he is.
It seems like a possession. I can't control my actions, or 2/3 of my speech. So please play Sleestak for the duration of his possession. Maybe you could please cover his actions (if any) up until he completes his second sentence? And then I'll post the third sentence, and Sleestak's horrified thoughts, since the content of the third sentence may depend on that of the first two.

How does that sound? Is that okay with you?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Grognardsw »

Swillbosh, keeping watch between the north corridor and statue chamber, sees Wulfhart talking to his fellow lizardman Sleestak. Groyn the dwarf is limping up there on his stick-figure leg, a talkative Bene the dog in tow.

Porphyry greets his returned skeleton from its east crawl-passageway exploration.

Most of the party has gravitated to the west secret door and the hexagonal chamber beyond it. After Wrenly copies down the symbols on the wall, Niles the young parchment knight spies a movement down in the dry well. He thinks something slithered away quickly.

Inferno we can collaborate on Sleestak post by PM prior to posting.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry wipes grime and spiders off his skeleton pals, and then leads them over to the hexagonal chamber. He throughly inspects the well and the markings, along with the others. Peering into the well, he looks for any means of descent.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Inferno »

Sleestak, lizardman shaman:
Hey Grog, Since we haven't started collaborating via PM yet, I had an action idea that might preempt the demon's. Here goes:
The metaphysical medicine man reeled in horror. He had gone from a psychedelic dream to the worst possible nightmare made real. The exact sort of malevolent spirit that had viciously destroyed his village, now possessed him and threatened to turn him into a tool of sadistic evil so he could wreak the same perverse, murderous plague upon other innocents.

Sleestak would rather die than let such suffering occur by his hand. Die, and perhaps take this evil godling with him! The shaman attempted to turn these homicidal urges inward, against himself!
Just like this other possessed exorcist-priest : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNihprEFxOg

Grog, Sleestak has urges to commit heinous atrocities. Unable to warn Wulfhart in time, he will attempt satisfy these heinous urges by performing them upon himself! He'll cut his own throat with his bone knife. I believe that meets your parameters for allowable actions.
The old lizard shaman was on a final mission, after which he would be content to die (see character background). This was a pyrrhic victory, and an incomplete one. But it was preferable to losing, given these stakes. Sleestak had no way of knowing if he would ever get the chance to break this thing's control again. Or if it would ever leave him. The demon had eagerly entered the world of flesh, forgetting all the vulnerabilities that this world affords. The shaman would act now, and desperately, while the demon was still getting his bearings. And hopefully destroy the two of them together!

"It would seem that I have eaten you, my little friend," he thought to it, in an attempt to distract it with its uncontrollable rage long enough to do what must be done. Sleestak attempted to plunge his ceremonial dagger into his own neck!
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, MU
saalaria wrote:"Find anything ussseful Wrenly?"
"Anything useful? ...why, yes, quite... in a general reasearch sort of way, I suppose. There are symbols on the walls in here that possibly to correspond to the cardinal directons perhaps that may prove useful." he replies. "What would prove useful right now, sir, is a length of rope... do you have one handy? I , ahem!... neglected to bring one myself. You see I'd like to tie my lantern to one end of it and lower it down into this well to get a better look. If it seems all right down below, I thought perhaps one of us might volunteer to climb down and take a look around." He glances around at paper Niles. "I wonder, sir, in your current state, do you think you might float to the bottom? Like a sheaf of parchment in a breeze?"
I just noticed that I do not, in fact, have a torch, but a lantern. Which is probably ok, since I wasn't able to use my presumed torch offensively before anyway, due to no heat.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#157 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gagel examines the well as well, looking for any signs or recent usage.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Grognardsw »

Inferno wrote:"It would seem that I have eaten you, my little friend," he thought to it, in an attempt to distract it with its uncontrollable rage long enough to do what must be done. Sleestak attempted to plunge his ceremonial dagger into his own neck!
Wulfhart watches with shock as Sleestak slices his own throat. He slumps to the ground dead.

The adventurers look more closely down the well in the hexagonal chamber. It is 30' deep and there is an opening down there on the west side. There are no signs of recent usage, or a ladder.

Niles nods his head in the affirmative to Wrenly's question about floating down like the piece of parchment he is.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Inferno »

Sleestak, lizardman shaman:

The old shaman felt a great release; a heavy burden lifted. He died with a faint smile upon his lips.
Thanks Grog.
Let's hope it's a murder-suicide, and not just a suicide. :)

But even if the demon lives, and manages to get out of Sleestak's corpse, he might be returned to his original 2-D state, where he'll have as much trouble going on a killing spree as Sleestak had attempting to turn a doorknob.

If the demon animates Sleestak's corpse and uses it to act in this world, at least Wulfhart will have plenty of warning, and will know not to hold back on the lizardman. The demon won't be able to surprise-attack Wulf or the party.

So I'll call this a tie for Sleestak, for now. With an outside chance of a win. :)

Thanks for the great game!! Really enjoyed it.

Also: See kids? Don't do drugs!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#160 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal ignores all the same old everyday mundane things going on around him.

He begins crawling into the bug filled tunnel with an enormous grin on his face.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”