HELP!!! The quest begins

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: HELP!!! The quest begins

#81 Post by Scott308 »

Father William Dowling of Baskerville

Your Ladyship, the ranger does bring up a good point. I can understand the desire for subtlety so the culprit or culprits are not tipped to the investigation before we wish our presence to be known, but it might be safer for your citizens if they did not travel singly, thereby making themselves targets. We will try to acquiesce to your wishes, but if we feel it will prevent us from using our skills to the fullest, we will need the freedom to run our investigation as we see fit. And I'm sure that whatever compensation you feel is appropriate will suffice. The cleric smiles at the mayor.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Dram »

Grillock- Yes Mam a Magic Item of my choice will do. As for discretion I work better in that capacity. I will have to make some new friends here in town. Aahume [ /color] He coughs. Excuse mam my throat is a little dry. As he looks around to see if there is any drink or food.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Odilo "...If I would not fit in well with the locals here as I am dressed I can correct that if you have a local tailor. I am more than happy to help and if a shave, a haircut and clean clothing will help me to fit in more then so be it. Say the words and I shall accommodate the need madam mayor." the mage bows and gives a goofy smile to Ugghra as if to say I can be refined too. ;)
Sir Ugghra winked at Odilo and whispered with sincere approval, "Good Show, Sir! That's the Spirit. I dare say, You'll Soon be Ready for a Box at the Opera!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, ancient enchanter

Orando smiles as he watches the Mayor's reaction. After she settles down, Orando says, "I accept your apology."

"Please tell of your past efforts and how you've gotten close before dead-ending."

"As to sabotage, has there been any common element in your investigations so far. A certain person ?"

"Who would benefit from these disappearances? Have you any theories on motivation?"

"Our questions regarding victims and 'lookers' was referred to you. Do you have lists of the former, and explanation of the latter?"

"What is your opinion of this Mortimer?"

"If past efforts have failed, it may be time for different approaches. You would be wise to follow our advice."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#85 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The lady completely ignores the requests for chairs and refreshments. She does nod her head at the words of the ranger and cleric and then continues to answer your questions.

"Please tell of your past efforts and how you've gotten close before dead-ending."

"As to sabotage, has there been any common element in your investigations so far. A certain person ?

"Who would benefit from these disappearances? Have you any theories on motivation?"

You must understand, this ordeal has been going on over a very long period of time. There have been many theories from a great many of the peoples involved over the years. I myself have suspicions about certain unscrupulous individuals, but we still have NO evidence. There are no common elements at all to my knowledge and everything seems completely random.

We all have our own ideas about what is happening, but so far no one has been able to prove their own theories. That is why you are here. It is my belief that we need a completely new batch of eyes and brains to go at this in hopes of figuring this out

As Mayor I feel I must keep my opinions to myself. At least for the time being anyway. I must ask that you all approach this with open minds and come to your own conclusions.

"Our questions regarding victims and 'lookers' was referred to you. Do you have lists of the former,

I will recite to you a list from memory that has haunted my dreams for many, many years.

and explanation of the latter?"

I have no idea what you are talking about.

"What is your opinion of this Mortimer?"

Mad Mortimer, as he was called by most of the folks around here, was a true enigma. He was the type of person that was only heard about but never really seen by anyone if you catch my meaning. He walked here and there they say.

He has been dead for many years now and the only thing I've heard about him lately is that the ruins of his old tower just north of town here are haunted. More drunken tavern talk if you ask me.

The Mayor pauses for a while and clears her raspy throat. She takes a drink of water and continues.

These are the reported missing persons but, there have been rumors of many others.

The first reported case on record was almost 30 years ago now. A teenaged farmers daughter named Cindy Lou Harrison. Her family still lives out on their farm here in Brotherton. That one was pretty sad.

A year or so after that it was Cassidy Love. A local barmaid from The Weary Traveler. I don't think she has any relation in this area anymore.

Then there was the butchers wife, Patty I think her name was. Boy, she was a loose one. There were more than a few around here that we're sorry to see her go missing. Her husband didn't take her disappearance too well and he too vanished shortly after that. He may have just skipped town though.

We didn't hear of any others for a few years after that so we had hoped that the issue had somehow been resolved. Then things got even worse.

There was another farm girl, Tressa Bird, who was also reported as missing but, she was a dreamer type that may have simply run off with her favorite farm hand or some such thing.

Then it really hit home for me.
The Lady seems to be speaking slowly now while fighting back some tears, and losing. Then my dear friend Gladys Kresty went missing. She was an absolute angel that would do anything for the sake of this town. Sadly, I don't think her husband has ever given up the idea that he will still find her someday.

They set up a community search party for her, and 2 of the men that were helping look for her also went missing a few days later. It was such a tragedy.

Then it stopped completely for quite a while, but recently, it started back up again.

A few people that were just traveling through town went missing and eventually their loved ones showed up here, asking a lot of questions. As we had no evidence, sadly, we couldn't help them either.

Now, our latest victim was the towns only sheriff, Positive Steve. He was a good man too. Very dedicated to finding the missing people. His family moved off shortly after his disappearance. I guess they just couldn't take living around here anymore with the constant reminders of him everywhere.

The mayor drops her head as if she is completely exhausted but continues talking directly into the top of her desk.

If you will excuse me, I must ask that you all take your leave of me now. I implore you to each go out in small groups and learn what you can. Please bring your findings to our priest. If you have further questions for me, please direct them to him.

The guards snap to attention and look in your direction, indicating that it is time for the group to leave.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Dram »

Grillock- If were to work in different groups. We will need a way to communicate with each other. Groups of 2 should suffice. Myself and Odilo work well together.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#87 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Good day to you madam mayor." the mage bows as he leaves. Once out side of her office "That will work fine Grillock."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Inferno »

OGRE MAGE wrote: If you have further questions for me, please direct them to him.
The dashing subhuman was only mildly surprised at the mad woman's erratic behaviour. Clearly, the entire episode had proven too much for her delicate psyche and had broken her fragile mind. Not uncommon among the fairer sex, Ugghra thought. If only she had a husband to firmly guide her fevered, beleaguered intelligence. Poor little dear.

As instructed, Sir Ugghra turned with further questions to the man the mayor indicated: "And Exactly How Much Time Transpired Between Each Rash of Disappearances of Town Girls and their Would-be Rescuers? Years? Months?
"How Long Has it Been Since This Gentleman, 'Positive Steve,' Disappeared?"

So, Grillock and Odilo are a team. Who wants to partner up with Ugghra? :lol: :lol: :lol:
While he and Orando probably deserve each other, I'd recommend that they be on separate teams. So, each would pair up with either Epi or Dowling. Choose yer poison. ;)
As discussed, Ugghra will investigate openly, if that helps your unenviable decision.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#89 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:
OGRE MAGE wrote: If you have further questions for me, please direct them to him.
The dashing subhuman was only mildly surprised at the mad woman's erratic behaviour. Clearly, the entire episode had proven too much for her delicate psyche and had broken her fragile mind. Not uncommon among the fairer sex, Ugghra thought. If only she had a husband to firmly guide her fevered, beleaguered intelligence. Poor little dear.

As instructed, Sir Ugghra turned with further questions to the man the mayor indicated: "And Exactly How Much Time Transpired Between Each Rash of Disappearances of Town Girls and their Would-be Rescuers? Years? Months? "How Long Has it Been Since This Gentleman, 'Positive Steve,' Disappeared?"
The Mayor is referring to Brother Tomas, who is no longer with you.

You definitely have the right idea about the Mayor though, she looks down right fried out!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You can do 2 groups of 3 or 3 groups of 2, whichever you prefer.

If the first group is ready to explore the town and there is nothing further to discuss as a group, we can get started right away. I do suggest that you would first all agree on a meeting place for the evening before splitting up.

I will run the small groups in individual threads to keep them separated but I will assume that everything learned will be shared with the whole group.

If there is ever anything that you want to do solo or want to keep from the party, just post that in your private thread. That's what they are there for.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#91 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If it seems as though you aren't getting enough direction and the answers that you are getting are vague, that's because they are supposed to be. It is my attempt to portray that you don't really know anything about this place or any of the people that live here.

You will have to decide who you will talk to in order to gain the best information and also how to ask questions while still trying to remain somewhat discreet about it. (if you want to that is)

You have a few places already marked on the map, it is up to you to find out what the rest of this town is all about.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Inferno »

When the guards had left them, Sir Ugghra turned to Ernie and said, "Ah, There You Are My Good Man! Would You Please Be So Kind As To..." and proceeded to send him on a fool's errand.

The aristocratic abomination then turned to Brother Tomas and said sharply and quietly, his ample lips barely moving and his horrible eyes fairly seething in their sockets at the complete lack of help offered by the very people that requested aid! "Now, Sir, I Expect You To Tell Us What This Is All About. There Are No Prying Eyes About. Out With It, Confound You. Tell Us Everything You Know, and Then We Shall Begin In Earnest Our Investigation with the Townsfolk. Forewarned is Forearmed, Sir, I Am Certain You no doubt Agree!
  • "Who Are The Lookers? Do Please Finally Share Your Theories on Them! Fear Not. You Shan't Mislead Us with your Wrongheaded Assumptions. Rest Assured, We Will Judge Them on their Merits and Decide For Ourselves!

"If "M" is Merely a Myth, and There Is No Ghost, Whyever Do You Cower At His Name?

"Exactly How Much Time Transpired Between Each Rash of Disappearances of Town Girls and their Would-be Rescuers? Years? Months? How Long Has it Been Since This Gentleman, 'Positive Steve,' Went Missing? We Need to Establish a Timetable of the Disappearances.

"We'll Need All the Addresses of the Victim's Families So That We May Interview Them.

"And,"
he ended, almost sweetly, "Perhaps You Would Be So Good As To Recommend a Reputable Inn here Where We Might Lodge And Reconvene Regularly to Share Our Findings and Our Theories?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, conjuror

After the Mayor answers the latest round of questions, and before she dismisses the group, Orando announces:

"Thank you for your perspective on the matter and your trust in us. Given comments thus far, I suspect there could be supernatural spying going on and will cast a spell to detect if such is being done in your chambers."

Orando intones arcane syllables and makes a few hand movements. He looks at the Major, then about the room. "There is something..." he appears to concentrate.

Seeing the Major's apparent exhaustion, Orando asks, "Good Mayor, perhaps I may help you with elven herbs to revivify your constitution?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:

When the guards had left them, Sir Ugghra turned to Ernie and said, "Ah, There You Are My Good Man! Would You Please Be So Kind As To..." and proceeded to send him on a fool's errand.

The aristocratic abomination then turned to Brother Tomas and said sharply and quietly, his ample lips barely moving and his horrible eyes fairly seething in their sockets at the complete lack of help offered by the very people that requested aid! "Now, Sir, I Expect You To Tell Us What This Is All About. There Are No Prying Eyes About. Out With It, Confound You. Tell Us Everything You Know, and Then We Shall Begin In Earnest Our Investigation with the Townsfolk. Forewarned is Forearmed, Sir, I Am Certain You no doubt Agree!
  • "Who Are The Lookers? Do Please Finally Share Your Theories on Them! Fear Not. You Shan't Mislead Us with your Wrongheaded Assumptions. Rest Assured, We Will Judge Them on their Merits and Decide For Ourselves!

"If "M" is Merely a Myth, and There Is No Ghost, Whyever Do You Cower At His Name?

"Exactly How Much Time Transpired Between Each Rash of Disappearances of Town Girls and their Would-be Rescuers? Years? Months? How Long Has it Been Since This Gentleman, 'Positive Steve,' Went Missing? We Need to Establish a Timetable of the Disappearances.

"We'll Need All the Addresses of the Victim's Families So That We May Interview Them.

"And,"
he ended, almost sweetly, "Perhaps You Would Be So Good As To Recommend a Reputable Inn here Where We Might Lodge And Reconvene Regularly to Share Our Findings and Our Theories?"
Great questions, unfortunately, they have fallen on deaf ears because TOMAS IS NO LONGER WITH YOU. :lol: Let's see now.....where would we go to look for a priest? :P
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#95 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Grognardsw wrote:Orando, conjuror

After the Mayor answers the latest round of questions, and before she dismisses the group, Orando announces:

"Thank you for your perspective on the matter and your trust in us. Given comments thus far, I suspect there could be supernatural spying going on and will cast a spell to detect if such is being done in your chambers."

Orando intones arcane syllables and makes a few hand movements. He looks at the Major, then about the room. "There is something..." he appears to concentrate.

Seeing the Major's apparent exhaustion, Orando asks, "Good Mayor, perhaps I may help you with elven herbs to revivify your constitution?"
The frazzled Mayor looks up at the group again when Orando starts casting. She looks at him with her usual blank stare, waiting for him to reveal his findings.

When enough time slips by for her to realize that there is an absolute lack of climactic magical effects, she frowns deeply and simply says, If your herbs are as effective as your magic, I think I'll pass....GUARDS!

The burly guards step forward with their weapons drawn.
This way now please!
They attempt to escort you from the hall, they look more than willing to use force if necessary.

You do remember seeing a courtyard outside the hall where you could converse unseen before setting out.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Inferno »

After arranging a meeting time and place with the other investigators, Ugghra will head to the Temple of Pelor, alone or with any who would wish to join him. If Tomas isn't there, Ugghra will ask where he is.

If and when he finds Tomas, Sir Ugghra turned to Ernie and said, "Ah, There You Are My Good Man! Would You Please Be So Kind As To..." and proceeded to send him on a fool's errand.

"And,"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Aaaaand Sir Ugghra is never heard from again! :D

For the sake of the other 4 players who haven't posted yet, and because I already mentioned that I will be running the small groups in separate threads, can we wait on this so we're not jumping too far ahead?

If you want Ugg to go off alone to do this, that is also fine. Just state that in the IC thread and we can resume this in your private thread.

Thanks!
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#98 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "I'd suggest as a meet up spot we go to the church perhaps or maybe back to the warehouse or whatever the establishment was we started from with Brother Toemas. What say the others?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Dram »

Grillock- Myself and Odilo will be staying one of lower establishments. I say we meet at the temple nightly for evening mass. When we talk to Brother Thomas he can tell us where we meet safely.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Inferno »

"Splendid," said Ugghra. "Then It's Decided. We'll Rendezvous Tonight at the Temple.
"I Go There Now, in fact, To Attempt Once More to Hear Brother Tomas' Answers to the Many Unanswered Questions that Remain. It Shan't Take Long, I expect.
"Then I Should Like to Interview the Families of the Missing. I Intend to Work Chronologically, Either Forward or Backward, Depending on Tomas' Answers, to be quite frank.
"Would Anyone Care to Accompany Me to Tomas and The Families?"
the bestial gentleman enquired.
DM:

Player: