Chapter 8 - Orc Recon

AleBelly
CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 8 - Orc Recon

#261 Post by CAI4 »

Chet agrees. "I don't like spiders. Let's keep going. City of Orcs?" he suggests.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Marullus »

"Yes, a shame to cut the webs and not meet anyone," Hellebore nods to Angus, then brightens. "It will be much more fun when they've hatched and we can say hello!"

She hums to herself as she leads them down, scoops up gear, and shows them the narrow way around the magical snare at archway.

"Tempus, Lorelei, and I will range forward. The rest... Listen to Hyde. We can go south to look for Town No Go." She whistles to the eagle and Raven, who both take off into the sky.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Storm11 »

Tempts nods to his superior and calls to fluffy, joining in the scouting ahead.
Greys Campaign.

media_junkie
Strider
Strider

#264 Post by media_junkie »

Once we move outside and Tempus, Hellebore and I move away from the other group, Lorilee will put her sword away and pull out her short bow.
The Lone City in the Wildlands --- Lorilee Ravenholme

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#265 Post by CAI4 »

Chet looks to the west. "I'd like to see the orcs. Does anyone want to go that way? I won't go alone, but will if some others do."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Zhym »

"Them orcs'd be the last things you'd ever see," says Angus. "I aim to kill a mess of 'em when I have the chance, but we ain't nearly strong enough now to rassle with a city full of orcs. After we take a gander at Town No Go, maybe we can harass some orc patrols."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Zorroroaster »

Before they leave, Arnulf holds up and waggles the scroll case they took off the courtyard corpse in front of his face.

"Shouldn't we open this up and take a look?"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Inferno »

Khahl-Ehl, elf:

The waggling scroll case caught Khahl-Ehl's serene attention. He watched silently to see who would examine its contents.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by AleBelly »

OK, my plan is to send the next update tonight. Unless another PC plans to scout the City of Orcs with Chet now, I have the entire group heading to town no-go from the map recovered from the orc patrol awhile back. The more detail you provide on directions (for example bearing, how far you're willing to go before contemplating another direction, etc) the better.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Inferno »

Khalh-Ehl, elf:
CAI4 wrote:Chet looks to the west. "I'd like to see the orcs. Does anyone want to go that way? I won't go alone, but will if some others do."
The elven archer said with tranquility, "I don't disagree, Chet. But I think our best approach to the Orc City is under cover of the forest that ranges to our south and west. We'll pass "Town No Go" on our way, and should investigate it.
"However, if we are hunting orcs, I don't hold out much hope for finding any in a town that no orc will go to. I wonder what they fear in that place, and whether we have cause to fear as well."
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#271 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny - "I'm thinking the orcs were told not to pillage there because it is the home of their masters."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Zhym »

Angus touches his finger to his nose in pretty much the same pose he's seen Arnulf use. "Might just be where that Trona feller hangs out," he says.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Marullus »

Note: the OOC brainstorming moved over here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by AleBelly »

Arnulf carefully pulls the cap from the scroll case, his doughy face creased with worry as he removes the contents - a single piece of parchment. The mage immediately recognizes the script, written in the common tongue. He reads the contents aloud.

Leaders of Alleborg,

Please excuse the lack of formality accompanying this missive. In fact, the lack of decorum and my motivation for writing are branches from the same tree.

Despite the hostile circumstances under which your scouts and my people met, I was heartened to learn of your newfound interest of the world outside your domain. Much has changed in two score years, little of it for the better.
Your scouts seem very effective and capable. They rescued a number of my people from the slave pens of the orcs, for which we are immeasurably grateful. Alas, every action has a consequence. And your peoples’ act was not spared this immutable law of nature.

The rout of their patrol and loss of their slaves has unleashed a fury within these damnable orcs I have never before witnessed. Their patrols have doubled in size, and it is no longer safe for my hunters to venture out to ply their craft. We have lost several parties – their heads savagely left upon our doorstep.

You may be tempted to believe our troubles are not your concern. But, humbly, I would suggest that if this is indeed your view, you are mistaken. The orc warrior numbers are swelling, their ranks being filled by young half-orcs. Strod – a city of humans – fell many years ago. It takes not a sage to connect the two events. We fear a full assault upon our fort is imminent. And if we fall, you will be next in their crimson-blighted sights.

I propose an alliance to meet this threat together – the objectives of which are best debated in person. Please send word with my messenger if you would do us the honor of engaging upon this topic.

Yours in peace,
Jobin Herke
Chief of the Sambords

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Zhym »

"Huh," says Angus.

He scratches the back of his head and frowns. "Well, here's what I reckon. We can take this message back to Alleborg and leave it up to the bastards what run that town—including whoever was helping them goblins. Or we go directly to Sambord and talk to Jobin Herke ourselves first. Either way, Town No Go can wait."

media_junkie
Strider
Strider

#276 Post by media_junkie »

Lorilee leans back after hearing Arnulf read the message, "This is very important, and should have reached the city. Should we get this back to the city leaders there?"
The Lone City in the Wildlands --- Lorilee Ravenholme

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf returns the parchment to the scrollcase. "While I don't trust the leaders of Alleborg entirely, I think Captain Castleman is an honourable man who would do his best to defend the city. They should know about this as soon as possible. I think we get this back to Alleborg."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Inferno »

Khalh-Ehl, elf:

The elven knight's face held no particular expression as he looked at the ground. "Yes. It must go to Alleborg immediately," he concurred softly.

Then, hoping it wasn't too late for the Sambords, he looked up and asked, "When did you find this entreaty? And under what circumstances, may I ask?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Marullus »

"We're a rather hefty group to deliver a parchment," considers Hellebore. "If Arnulf were to re-copy it so as to not lose the original, Rrkox could speed it away to Captain Castleman far more swiftly than our plodding group of feet. I already trained him to do so should this need arise, allowing messages to the Captain's hand. I think if we remain here a day, he'd have a good chance of returning with a response. This would allow us to clear those webs and better secure this location, do a little short-range exploring."

She sighs. "We will be better received if we bring a response to the Sambords, rather than just news of the messenger's death. A pause, if you will."

She looks to Arnulf. "In recopying, I'd ask that you add word from us. The messenger was found dead, this letter not reaching him. Tell of this tower, and its location on the southside of the western road, which a small garrison could effectively hold. This would be a positive answer to the Sambords and a direct aid against the raids on the farms, which are truly not far east from here. Ask that he respond with a message for the Sambords, which Rrkox can bring and we deliver to them."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Zhym »

"I'll be blunt—" says Angus. Seeing the amused expressions on some faces, he adds, "—er than usual."

"I don't trust them Alleborgians, even the Captain. Anyone who'd rope y'all into this mess by being sneaky and who'd try to keep hold of anything magical ain't a feller I'm putting up a statue for. And I'll bet you steaks to coppers that if the fine overlords of Alleborg do decide to help someone but themselves, the force they send will be them of you what they can order around and those of us fool enough to have joined you, but not a single soldier more."

"Can Rrkox deliver the message to Alleborg and return to us at Sambord?" he asks Hellebore. "If we have to leave someone here, we could send an advance group to tell the Sambords what's going on and to help the people what need it. We know what must be done—the Sambords need our help. So I say we cut the middleman and go do it."

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”